WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    :)Marcelyn, I am so impressed at your completing the half marathon. I walk a lot--between 10 and 20 thousand steps a day but my walks are at most, two and half hours long. What you accomplished is worthy of high praise.

:)Heather, you and your husband look fabulous in the photo---especially considering that you have been ill and he has been sad for much of your vacation.

<3 Barbie
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good morning (barely!) -

I had a bunch of pages to catch up, so I did a lot of skimming.

Grace - I hope your daughter is feeling better by now. It sounds like a scary and exhausting experience for everyone!

Lisa - Sounds like you are a seed, just waiting for spring! That's a cozy place to be.

Tracie - I miss coffee with friends too. Since we moved here it's a much bigger deal to get together with my women friends in Austin, and I don't know anybody here. I never really was good at making new friends, and it's only gotten harder as I age.

Joyce - I don't know, red countertops could be cute depending on the style of your kitchen! Mine are yucky yellow and I can't wait to ditch them, but for now we have to focus on sprucing up Philip's office and the bathroom next to it because that's where he'll see clients.

DrKatieBug & Janet - There was a "LuLaRoe expo" here this weekend, out at the exposition center! Thank goodness I had other commitments and couldn't go, so my credit card is safe.

Heather - Oh, no, so sorry to hear about your setback! This is not the kind of memorable vacation we were wishing you!

Barbie - Bess is beautiful! Congratulations! My dogs both love to sleep behind my chair. It's a rolling office chair, which makes things interesting when I need to move.

I was a bad, bad girl this weekend. It seems like one disappointment on the scale just took away all my enthusiasm for logging and exercising. I know better than that, and today I'm back with the program.

I've got to schedule a checkup with my doctor before she'll refill my prescriptions. Was really hoping to lose a little more weight before I had to do that, but it is what it is. I'll just have to buck up and own the fact that I'm heavier than when she saw me last. She is not going to be pleased.

-Yvonne in TX
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hellllllllloooooooo Becca!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gotu52: The waffles were delish & I'm up a couple of pounds today. :embarassed: It will come right off when you get back on track. :wink:

Heather: You and DH look happy at Chac-Mool. Did the place feel haunted? I'm guessing it did not, based on your happy faces. :flowerforyou:

Alison: I am encouraged by your posts lately. You seem to be doing the right things to protect yourself and your future. Stay strong! :star:

Yoga was a no-show on the part of teachers today so I had to be satisfied with the efforts on the recumbent bike. :sad: I learned that the athletic club has a facebook site where they post class cancellations. I'll be able to look it up in the future and save myself a drive when there won't be a class. I'll probably go out and ride my own bike in the garage a bit later just to burn calories.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Morning all. Up and at it this morning. Headed to the museum with my daughter and her three kids. Dinosaur day.

The half marathon went well. SUPER slow. I was walking with a friend who had never done one, and never walked farther than six miles. She had jelly legs the last mile or two but she made it. I decided that walking a half-marathon at the slow pace we did (20 minute miles) is a LOT harder than running one in 2 1/2 hours. Seriously. Running it gets it over and walking takes forever and involves a lot more steps!

This was my second half in two weeks and my 7th overall. I was considering doing one in three weeks in Galveston but it's just too close to my daughter's due date and I need to be around for kid duty when the baby decides to arrive.

For everyone that thinks they can't do a half.... you can. Just start with a mile and work your way up. Pay an entrance fee for a race 6 - 10 months away and if you are like me you are too cheap to not run it and lose your money so you go ahead and do it. Putting money in the game always is a motivator. lol

Marcelyn
    Headed to see the triceratop and brontosaurus

For that matter, for anyone who thinks they can't do a full (if u have runned a half) u can. Mind over matter
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Yvonne in TX - DrKatieBug & Janet - There was a "LuLaRoe expo" here this weekend, out at the exposition center! Thank goodness I had other commitments and couldn't go, so my credit card is safe.

Wow, I'll have to keep my eyes open and see if they have one here. I'd love to go :)

Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Greetings, had my training session today and we throw in planks at the end:
    Plank1 - 65 seconds
    Plank 2 - 50 seconds
    Plank 3 - 35 seconds

I am working towards doing all 3 at 1 minute. This was the best I have done so far. Feeling great and positive and wishing all of you the same!

<3 Sarah, Ontario, Canada
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    ?
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    choklityum wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcomes! Is anybody dealing with high cholesterol - what numbers do you consider the most important to track? Has anyone set custom amounts in Premium?

Hi Paula!

I had high cholesterol numbers a year ago... I was able to show a "dramatic" improvement in a six month period by doing two things:

1) Take fish oil! I take two 1200 mg fish oil caps a day - when my numbers were out of whack, I was taking three.
    2) EXERCISE - even basic walking will help. Regular exercise assists in generating whatever controls cholesterol in your body.

Since your body produces the stuff - you can't really reduce it much just by changing your diet - but, increasing the "good" cholesterol (fish oil) helps and exercise really helps.

I imagine losing a little weight was a contributing factor - but the exercise and fish oil were the biggies.

Good luck!

Re in TX

Thanks so much, Re! I'll be buying fish oil caps tonight!!! And I am getting walking in at work - I listen to music when I have to get, sort, and deliver mail around the building. Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and Depeche Mode are all good for faster BPM songs, so I get at least 20 min of fast-paced walking in every day. It takes me at least 5 minutes to get from my car to my office and vice versa, so another 10 there. Wednesdays I get to Zumba after work (at work) in a free class led by a student - it's a blast! I need to make myself get on the treadmill at home. If I walk at a pace that lets me read at the same time, I may be able to walk for a couple of hours at a time! LOL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Marni, what are your dogs sniffing/eating?

Heather, although it is a lovely place you are at, the beach is gorgeous, so so sorry you are still feeling bad. I'm glad they have a doctor that is readily available. I feel for you on the long flight home. Can you take a sedative?

Heather, Bess is adorable. Did he fly there or was it a coordinated drive? He will get more comfortable with you. Sasha looks like she is letting Bess know where SHE belongs.

Had my physical therapy today and did real well, she added several more exercises for me. After next Monday's treatment she will evaluate as to whether I need PT anymore. I need to let her know that the one thing I may need help on is being able to stand in the choir and sing.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ Love your view. My DH and I love to just sit on a balcony and gaze at the ocean and all the people. You are so fortunate.

Barbie ~ You, Jake, and Bess :) So glad she is adjusting and know she will be such an asset to your home and she will be love beyond belief.

Good wishes to all! I've read but can't remember everything.

Carol
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh, holy carp! I can't keep up with you girls when it comes to posting!!! I was trying to catch up, but that's just not going to happen. Sorry... :( For those who've been hitting or surpassing their goals - awesome! For those - like me - who aren't quite making it, "just keep swimming"! Tomorrow's another day to get it right. Anyone who wants to friend me for mutual support, please feel free to send a request!

As for a name, feel free to call me Paula. If you want to append a location, "in IA" will work.

It's that time of day for me to jet - work day's over and I have to get home and get ready for tonight's Boy Scout meeting. Yeah, I'm insane; I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster. :p

Have a great night everyone!!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing? Things are looking up here but I still don't know what happened to last week! One thing cool...I get to have a wellness coach paid for by work! I suggested coaching and they are letting me be the guinea pig to see if it is worth the investment. Waiting for a tech from the gas company to come out and check my outdoor valves...looks like one may have been damaged in the weather. Take care all Meg from Omaha where Benny is perky today.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Meg - good deal, that should be very beneficial. You'll have to keep us updated. Glad Benny is perky.

Janetr okc
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is my own private hell. So greatful to have you lovely ladies to pull me up o:)

<3 Rosie in So Cal