Greek Yogurt on a bulk

Options
I'd like to know stories here - I've been having Fage 0% 500g tub every night before bed. I do this for the casein and for the extra protein it provides. Does anyone know if there are any issues doing this? Would it help with bulking and building muscle? When I don't have fage, I'll have Quark or Cottage cheese.

I've noticed some good improvement but not sure if it's associated and was wondering about other people's experiences.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus, adequate protein (doesn't sound like this is a problem) and progressive overload weight training are needed to build muscle.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Calorie surplus, adequate protein (doesn't sound like this is a problem) and progressive overload weight training are needed to build muscle.

Agreed, but I try to focus on hypertrophy rather than overload. I'm looking for more size than strength so to speak.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »

Agreed, but I try to focus on hypertrophy rather than overload. I'm looking for more size than strength so to speak.

Exact same principles apply (hypertrophy *is* building muscle). The only difference for strength vs. hypertrophy would be your training methodology.

As to the greek yogurt, it's no different than eating any other food with equivalent calories and protein. You need both those things so it certainly doesn't hurt anything, but there's nothing magical (or disastrous) about it compared to any other foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Exact same principles apply (hypertrophy *is* building muscle). The only difference for strength vs. hypertrophy would be your training methodology.

As to the greek yogurt, it's no different than eating any other food with equivalent calories and protein. You need both those things so it certainly doesn't hurt anything, but there's nothing magical (or disastrous) about it compared to any other foods.

And to add, hypertrophy can occur with a strength program. Essentially, total volume is what matters and generally that can occur in the range of 25 to 60 reps (+/- a few reps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_z0vLxQHmo
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what this has to do with greek yogurt.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

If you are referring to my post, I was just adding onto anvils since the OP made another post and i figured the yogurt question was answered.
  • andyluvv
    Options

If you're referring to me I was just wondering in regards to casein in yogurt as it's apparently a better night time fuel and any dangers of over consumption of dairy that's all
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

If you're referring to me I was just wondering in regards to casein in yogurt as it's apparently a better night time fuel and any dangers of over consumption of dairy that's all

Only if you are lactose intolerant
  • psuLemon
    Options

Or puts you in a surplus higher than you like. Personally, I rather waste some calories on ice cream and other stuff, than a whole tub of greek yogurt. But I also find it very easy to address my protein goals.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you are referring to my post, I was just adding onto anvils since the OP made another post and i figured the yogurt question was answered.

no- you're answer actually seemed far more relevant to the meat of the question.

Ultimately greek yogurt is kind of irrelevant IMHO LOL

Sorry- I should have been more clear!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Or puts you in a surplus higher than you like. Personally, I rather waste some calories on ice cream and other stuff, than a whole tub of greek yogurt. But I also find it very easy to address my protein goals.

I'm going to start mixing halo top with talenti I think and see what that does for me. Calories + protein YAY!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is going to matter is surplus, training, and hitting macros and micros ....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of money on yogurt.
    Like already said training & calorie surplus is going to matter more, than going overboard on protein.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    500g of Fage is a lot of protein in one hit. I remember hearing that we can typically only absorb a 20g portion of protein at any one time, the rest going to waste. Is that "bro-science" or should OP spread out his Fage consumption more evenly throughout the day?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    500g of Fage is a lot of protein in one hit. I remember hearing that we can typically only absorb a 20g portion of protein at any one time, the rest going to waste. Is that "bro-science" or should OP spread out his Fage consumption more evenly throughout the day?

All of it gets used in some form, barring any malabsorption issues. Excess that cannot be utilized for MPS or other amino dependant processes will end up oxidized and used as an energy source.

There is also no hard and fast amount, as rates of MPS are highly dependent upon several factors, most of them hormone related. It varies a lot from person to person and time to time. It's essentially impossible to pin down for the individual.
  • andyluvv
    Options

All of it gets used in some form, barring any malabsorption issues. Excess that cannot be utilized for MPS or other amino dependant processes will end up oxidized and used as an energy source.

There is also no hard and fast amount, as rates of MPS are highly dependent upon several factors, most of them hormone related. It varies a lot from person to person and time to time. It's essentially impossible to pin down for the individual.

I usually use quark/yogurt or fat free cream fraiche.
    It's actually about £1.50 a pack, so hardly a break in the bank. I use those sources for the casein which has a proven slow release into the body. I actually bought some casein last night so that will help decrease consumption.

The only thing to get around now is that I actually enjoy the creaminess of a nice pot of yogurt :pensive:
    Drinking it is just not the same lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

It's actually about £1.50 a pack, so hardly a break in the bank. I use those sources for the casein which has a proven slow release into the body. I actually bought some casein last night so that will help decrease consumption.

The only thing to get around now is that I actually enjoy the creaminess of a nice pot of yogurt :pensive:

If your casein is of a good flavor, mix it with minimal water to a pudding like consistency, add some nuts or whatever to it and freeze it, stirring/breaking it up ever so often. Ends up being likeva frozen "fudge" due to how casein behaves. My favorite is 60g chocolate cas, 30g peanut butter cas, an ounce of cut up nuts, and about 100g of berries.
  • JoRocka
    Options

If your casein is of a good flavor, mix it with minimal water to a pudding like consistency, add some nuts or whatever to it and freeze it, stirring/breaking it up ever so often. Ends up being likeva frozen "fudge" due to how casein behaves. My favorite is 60g chocolate cas, 30g peanut butter cas, an ounce of cut up nuts, and about 100g of berries.

that sounds like something to try- I have casein at home- and I prefer whey- but I haven't tried that. I'm pretty simplistic with my protein combinations.
  • andyluvv
    Options

That sounds a bit heavy but might give it a try!
  • andyluvv
    Options

Okay so I tried to make a casein shake with just a little bit of water. It's so so thick and satisfying it's like a dessert. It was so good I had to make it again... Greedy, I know! Lol
    Thanks for the tip. I don't think I can live without casein now! Lol