123457»

Replies

• JamiroJunior
    JamiroJunior Posts: 139
    Options
    Exactly!
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    A hyporcrite is someone who presents a false moral face, while they do immoral things in secret. Or something like that. My point is that you are NOT being someone you are not, you are living the way one lives when one learns to love oneself.

I recently quit smoking and joined MFP to get some motivation, and so that I would not use quitting smoking as another excuse to eat. I love telling people what I am doing, but I never preach at anyone. It doesn't sound like you preached at them, just stated where you were at....

Change is a VERY difficult thing for some people, as everyone here has told you. Your success probably shines a big light on their defects. Obviously, they find you intimidating.

It may be time to very quietly find some new people to share with. There have been times when I had to create new friends that reflected my changes. Sometimes we even have to find different "family"..... friends are Gods way of making up for family.

You see that you have so many pages of support here!! We would take over an entire restaurant, all of us with our resolves and common goals, and we would ALL stand and support you!!

For too many years I have pulled back right when I was on the brink of success, and wound up with a cigarette in one hand and a bag of oreos and a bottle of wine in the other. I thought hard about why it's so hard for me to simply enjoy my success. I know why, and don't let those damned nay-sayers get the best of you!!!
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WOW buddy....that sucks. It seems to hurt the most coming from family, doesn't it? I started losing weight due to stress and then illness...dropped a few lbs, liked how I was starting to look, then did the rest with better eating and exercise. I've had family members either not say anything at all...or ask if I'm eating at all and calling me anorexic. That hurts. I have even shown them my journals as proof. Sad.

I'm glad you have a group of supporters here for you. You are a role model for your whole family and everyone you come into contact with, ESPECIALLY because of where you've come from. Keep it up...use that energy for good.

:drinker:
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    Options
    Jealousy does that to people no need to let their comment bother you~~
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went out with my family.
    They noticed I lost weight, and aside from my brother everyone had only negative things to say.

1: I am too skinny now
    2: I am scrawny on top
    3: I am trying to push my new "fad dieting" onto them
    - because I was telling them I am trying to eliminate sugar as much as possible because of the info I have learned over the past few months.
    4: I am a hypocrite
    - because I used to smoke and eat bad and now I am excited about eating better and losing weight and getting into shape.
    5: It's not going to last

I was hurt, felt like the kid in the school yard who got picked on again.

I had to share because i have it all bottled up inside and cant say anything to anyone because I might begin my uncontrollable preaching again.

I got up this morning and rode 9 miles on my bike, ate my oatmeal, and entered my info into MFP.
    I will be converting their bad energy into motivation. From now on when anyone asks how I am doing it I will just say I am eating better. I will never ever again share the details of what I have learned and how much this web site has helped.

I'll show them and the world that i can do this !!

SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST NEVER ****ING HAPPY and want to push their misery onto other people. dont listen to them. any of them. just listen to yourself. and do what makes you happy.
  • scoutmom49
    scoutmom49 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just be careful...I quit smoking about 9 years ago, started working out, lost 20 or so lbs.....and the next thing ya know I was 34 and pregnant. Doc said it was not only because of the obvious actions but because I was getting healthy. See if I ever do that again! :ohwell: Just wanted to share my little funny story that is now 7 years old and going into the second grade.

Sorry that your family Is not as suppostive as they should be. They'll come around when they see how happy it makes you!
  • racerchick48
    racerchick48 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking your health into your own hands. Like many people before me have said, this is one instance where you have to be selfish, and chances are your family is jealous.

My family is less than supportive as well, but in a passive-aggressive way. I still have a LOT of weight to lose in order to be healthy, but most of my family members are obese as well and want me to stay that way. One of my sisters actually told me not that long ago that I couldn't lose any more weight because she didn't want to be the "fat sister". My mom is diabetic and refuses to change her lifestyle to be healthier, and hates to see me trying to become healthier. If only she knew that she was a big part of my motivation. I was shopping with her a couple of days ago and she used the low blood sugar excuse as a reason to buy a candy bar, and then acted a bit offended when I didn't say anything to promote her unhealthy habits. A couple of weeks ago, my mom stopped by my house while I was at work, and left a box of my favorite Girl Scout cookies with my hubby, for me. She offers me fast food (one of my weaknesses even still) almost every time she's in town, and shame on me, but I still have trouble resisting! My hubby is the same way. When we go out and I try to eat healthier, he pressures me, trying to get me to eat a few mozzarella sticks or a bite or five of that cheesecake he ordered after his 1500 calorie meal. Its hard to take that negativity and not let it get to you, and honestly im a bit jealous that you are able to turn it into positive energy. Im still working on that!
  • jmore85
    jmore85 Posts: 36
    Options
    You are doing so well, it's a huge victory for you to have stopped smoking and healthy eating is no 'fad' (we all know that!)

I know how you feel though, after years of telling my how heavy I am and how much she wishes I would lose weight, now that I am losing weight she offers me junk food and sweets whenever I go visit her and she doesn't like to take no for an answer, she asks 2 or 3 times and I have to unmoving in my 'no'

I totally agree with you about cutting down sugar, it's such a hidden evil. If you havn't already you should also look at this video about sugar and high fructose corn syrup, talk about silent but deadly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am sorry they SUCK.

My mom who has been on me about my weight since I had my baby, is being a beotch about it now that I am looking better. I am fitting into clothing I wore before I was pregnant, although I have so much more to take off. Some people are just downers!

Keep up the good work! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!