Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    If you haven't joined us in this group yet... please do! We'd love more active posters!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I've joined...I didn't see a lot of action...will try to get gabby over there!

So often it seems that threads see more action than groups... maybe they just have higher visibility.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Who is this Gabby woman, and is she also menopausal? ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Ha. Yes, please DO get gabby over there!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    If you haven't joined us in this group yet... please do! We'd love more active posters!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I've joined...I didn't see a lot of action...will try to get gabby over there!

So often it seems that threads see more action than groups... maybe they just have higher visibility.

True... though there may be a question or two you feel more comfortable asking in that group than on here? B)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I find that I am very bad at being in groups. I forget that there are separate sets of rules and I get myself in trouble. So I just avoid being active in comments in groups. I tend to read posts and get a lot of good info that way.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

She's a little crazy...you sure you still want her? :wink:
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    A little crazy is fun and interesting. A lot crazy might be somewhat scary... ;)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Back to "PMS" without the "M".... I have been pondering this. Those of you who experience it, can you pin it to a particular hormone sequence? Do you have a theory about what is going on?

Specifically, I'm wondering what parts of the cycle are present & absent. E.g.
    a) Is estrogen too low to trigger the uterine lining to thicken (no "M")? The sharp estrogen increase that initiates the uterine thickening also suppresses FSH, so maybe FSH stays high and you get ovulation (progesterone release at follicular rupture) and all its symptoms? But no menstruation because there was no thickening in the first place?
    b) Or is it the opposite, where there is no ovulation/progesterone? Where you do have enough estrogen to prompt uterine thickening but as hormones were never terribly high in the first place (especially progesterone), there is no sharp fall to trigger shedding?

I can really feel progesterone, and I like it. I feel uncommonly strong and have a great sense of well-being between ovulation & menstruation. I'm definitely more aggressive and feel kind of bulletproof. I've often wondered if those are the effects of testosterone (synthesized from progesterone as a precursor hormone) and not progesterone at all. I know some women have the worst symptoms when I am feeling the best. Weird. I have a little trepidation about the progesterone drop off.

I'm really curious what it feels like is going on to other women.
  • try2again
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thought I'd give this thread a little bump & post this here rather than the group.

TOM this weekend and I actually thought I might be coming down with the flu, it felt so similar (I wasn't). Chills, body/joint aches, fatigue, nausea. Then I made the mistake of thinking, "Well, at least I'm not having much in the way of cramps/pain this time". That came overnight :( I'm trying to accept the fact that it's probably going to be like this for a while, years maybe, and I'll just have to learn to work around it, but I'm finding it very discouraging.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd give this thread a little bump & post this here rather than the group.

TOM this weekend and I actually thought I might be coming down with the flu, it felt so similar (I wasn't). Chills, body/joint aches, fatigue, nausea. Then I made the mistake of thinking, "Well, at least I'm not having much in the way of cramps/pain this time". That came overnight :( I'm trying to accept the fact that it's probably going to be like this for a while, years maybe, and I'll just have to learn to work around it, but I'm finding it very discouraging.

I don't know how you feel about the birth control pill, but have you ever considered taking the bc pill continuously? I started about 1 1/2 years ago because my TOM symptoms had simply become unbearable, and it has changed my life! No more periods is an amazing thing. I do have some spotting, but it is totally worth it.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Glad you all bumped it, I'll be catching up on the reading here....!
  • try2again
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

I don't know how you feel about the birth control pill, but have you ever considered taking the bc pill continuously? I started about 1 1/2 years ago because my TOM symptoms had simply become unbearable, and it has changed my life! No more periods is an amazing thing. I do have some spotting, but it is totally worth it.

This is a relatively new development for me... I guess let's say I might be considering it going forward ;)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

This is a relatively new development for me... I guess let's say I might be considering it going forward ;)

I am one that tends towards trying all other options before pharmaceuticals, so in light of that, some other things to consider before BC might be - evening primrose oil (1300mg twice a day), red raspberry (either as a tea or capsules multiple times a day), progesterone cream (starting with OTC or another option is bio-identical prescribed), omega-3's in large doses (assuming you have no blood diseases and are not taking blood thinners).

I think the two things that have balanced things out the most in my house have been evening primrose oil and progesterone cream. It took about 3-4 months of daily use for the evening primrose oil to balance things out. The progesterone cream can be used on the spot as needed so can provide immediate relief for emotional issues but requires regular use for long term cramps/pain. It can be used daily (amount adjusted for symptoms as needed) or from days 14-cycle start if you know when your regular cycle is.

And when all else fails.........there's always BC. ;)
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Okay, read/scanned most of the posts.

I'm 43. Was lways like clockwork. Still am, but down to about 25 day cycles from 28 day ones. My periods used to last what felt like forever, with maybe one kinda heavy day. In the last 5 years or so, the cycle has shortened, I'll have 2-4 days of light brown spotting beforehand (which I read is a sign of low progesterone) then BAM! 2 days of such heavy bleeding I have to use the biggest tampons on the market and change out every two hours, AND wear a pad just in case. Then it is over. It's like my old 5-7 day periods are now crammed into 2!

Started having hot flashes about a year ago, but those seem to have waned. Started getting dizzy a lot last summer and found out I was pre-hypertensive. Not on meds, but watching diet and exercising more. No more dizzy, so I dunno.

A couple of years back I was hit with some pretty nasty anxiety and depression, mostly around my TOM. Thought I had pre-menstrual pyschosis! Doc put me on zoloft for awhile. I'm off those, and the emotions seem to be better in check, but still get cranky the week before TOM.

Love my doc, had him for 20 years, but he insists I'm not peri. This is about the same age my mom started "going through the change" so....I tend to think *something* is going on.

Next appt. I'm going to ask to have my progesterone levels checked....
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    Okay, read/scanned most of the posts.

I'm 43. Was lways like clockwork. Still am, but down to about 25 day cycles from 28 day ones. My periods used to last what felt like forever, with maybe one kinda heavy day. In the last 5 years or so, the cycle has shortened, I'll have 2-4 days of light brown spotting beforehand (which I read is a sign of low progesterone) then BAM! 2 days of such heavy bleeding I have to use the biggest tampons on the market and change out every two hours, AND wear a pad just in case. Then it is over. It's like my old 5-7 day periods are now crammed into 2!

Started having hot flashes about a year ago, but those seem to have waned. Started getting dizzy a lot last summer and found out I was pre-hypertensive. Not on meds, but watching diet and exercising more. No more dizzy, so I dunno.

A couple of years back I was hit with some pretty nasty anxiety and depression, mostly around my TOM. Thought I had pre-menstrual pyschosis! Doc put me on zoloft for awhile. I'm off those, and the emotions seem to be better in check, but still get cranky the week before TOM.

Love my doc, had him for 20 years, but he insists I'm not peri. This is about the same age my mom started "going through the change" so....I tend to think *something* is going on.

Next appt. I'm going to ask to have my progesterone levels checked....

Um, sure sounds like peri to me! And almost exactly what I have experienced in terms of cycle length changes, flow, etc. I've had no hot flashes at all but have already missed a cycle. That all started for me around 41-42. I'll be 47 in a few weeks (missed my first cycle this year). Progesterone is a life saver!! Definitely get it checked and if it's not in the upper 2/3 of the lab range I would push for supplementing your body with bio-identical if he'll do it (it can be tweaked for exactly what you need vs. prometrium which cannot be exacted). If he won't, you can try OTC creams but if you're really low they won't be strong enough for you. If you're just slightly low, they'll work. My DD uses an OTC but she's only 19 and is borderline low.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I entered this thread more out of curiosity. I had a partial hysterectomy several years ago. I did have an ultrasound done on my ovaries a couple of years ago because of some recurring abdominal pain, but the tech said I had "beautiful ovaries" . . . . whatever. I'm in my mid 40s. I'm just wondering what the symptoms are for those of us who don't have the periods anymore but still have our ovaries? Anybody have experience with this?
  • try2again
    Options

I am one that tends towards trying all other options before pharmaceuticals, so in light of that, some other things to consider before BC might be - evening primrose oil (1300mg twice a day), red raspberry (either as a tea or capsules multiple times a day), progesterone cream (starting with OTC or another option is bio-identical prescribed), omega-3's in large doses (assuming you have no blood diseases and are not taking blood thinners).

I think the two things that have balanced things out the most in my house have been evening primrose oil and progesterone cream. It took about 3-4 months of daily use for the evening primrose oil to balance things out. The progesterone cream can be used on the spot as needed so can provide immediate relief for emotional issues but requires regular use for long term cramps/pain. It can be used daily (amount adjusted for symptoms as needed) or from days 14-cycle start if you know when your regular cycle is.

Lol, Patti! I thought I remembered you mentioning evening primrose oil on here and as I was lying awake last night waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in, I made a mental note to PM you & ask about the dosage (but you know how it goes with mental notes these days ;) ) Also, would there be any harm in trying OTC progesterone without having had your levels checked?
  • try2again
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    I entered this thread more out of curiosity. I had a partial hysterectomy several years ago. I did have an ultrasound done on my ovaries a couple of years ago because of some recurring abdominal pain, but the tech said I had "beautiful ovaries" . . . . whatever. I'm in my mid 40s. I'm just wondering what the symptoms are for those of us who don't have the periods anymore but still have our ovaries? Anybody have experience with this?

I can't answer your specific question, but I was also having problems with chronic pain and wasn't sure if it could all be attributed to perimenopause. Just as an FYI, I thought it might be helpful to share this list of other potential culprits:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-pelvic-pain/symptoms-causes/dxc-20208136
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Lol, Patti! I thought I remembered you mentioning evening primrose oil on here and as I was lying awake last night waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in, I made a mental note to PM you & ask about the dosage (but you know how it goes with mental notes these days ;) ) Also, would there be any harm in trying OTC progesterone without having had your levels checked?

I recommend getting Dr. Christiane Northrup's 'Wisdom of Menopause', reading the progesterone sections, and if they resonate get a progesterone cream like Emerita's Pro-Gest (random wild yam creams are probably a waste of money.)

Dr. Northrup's books are available in my library system, so maybe yours as well.
  • try2again
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »

Just did a little looking and it sounds like if you still have your ovaries, the symptoms are basically the same:

https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/latest-news/symptoms-of-the-menopause/

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/Period-cramps-after-hysterectomy-