Ask a vegan

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Do you abstain from eating cheerios or do you accept that some products are close enough ?

Btw I will eat cheerios but it does bother me more from a perfectionist point of view.

Chocolate cheerios are vegan so are apple cinnamon cheerios

So good

• UltraVegRunnerBabe
    UltraVegRunnerBabe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you abstain from eating cheerios or do you accept that some products are close enough ?

Btw I will eat cheerios but it does bother me more from a perfectionist point of view.

I choose to eat 100% vegan. One moment of pleasure is not worth it for me. Plus, there are hundreds of different cereals out there, Cheerios aren't even good compared to most other cereals. They get soggy and bleh. Plus, I'm into granola, not cereal;)
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Do you eat honey? Since it's made by bees and all or do bee feelings not count?

I don't eat honey. Not only because I don't consider it vegan, but I burned myself out from honey when I was a vegetarian.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    My question is this: Why vegan (or vegetarian)?

I do not understand why people choose to be vegetarian or vegan. I know it's not for me though.
    I am not judging one bit....many times I have shared a cheese pizza or a black-bean burger (which tastes amazingly like a chili burger - hold the ground beef) with a vegetarian friend.

It started out as a health thing. I went vegan to avoid binging on crap food, but then realized I could binge on vegan crap food, so I did more research into the health of veganism and how to eat healthier, and that led me to documentaires and books and blogs about veganism, so it was like putting a puzzle together, and veganism really suited my spiritual philosophy of Do No Harm. I don't want to hurt animals. I honestly and truly love animals like people, and when I look in their eyes I could never hurt them. Plus, nobody looks at a cow and wants to tear it to pieces.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How long have you been a vegan? How long were you a vegetarian? Do you take any supplements and which ones? With all the restrictions to your diet, how do you make sure you are healthy?

Do you expect your friends, family and acquaintances to accommodate your veganism? Do they? Is most of your social circle vegan?

Why are you a vegan? Just answered.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I do not understand why people choose to be vegetarian or vegan.

I can share my reason; the knowledge of an animal suffering and being slaughtered and my participation or contribution by way of eating the animal or using the skin for a belt or shoes deeply, deeply hurts both emotionally and consciously. I would rather die than eat another creatures body. I also feel strongly that I should never push this point of view on others, but I'm always willing to share my philosophy of compassion for life.

I couldn't have said it better. You are awesome. That is he reason I went vegan, the whole improved health and kudos from my doctor is a side benefit.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    What is your personal record for eating an entire package of Oreos?

Even before I chose veganism, I hated Oreos with a passion. You know those little bags of cookies that come in those huge boxes, and they would have Chips Ahoy!, Nutterbutters, Oreos, Vanilla Waffers, etc.
    I avoided Oreas each time. So...I have yet to eat an Oreo since going vegan. I don't think I will, though.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Longtime vegetarian here. Hi!

What's your favorite replacement for eggs in baked goods? I haven't found anything better than ground flaxseed.

What's your favorite vegan chocolate brand? I like Theo.

Which vegan cheese do you prefer--cashew cheese, nutritional yeast cheese, something else?

Tempeh bacon is also magic: true, or definitely true?
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I do not understand why people choose to be vegetarian or vegan.

I can share my reason; the knowledge of an animal suffering and being slaughtered and my participation or contribution by way of eating the animal or using the skin for a belt or shoes deeply, deeply hurts both emotionally and consciously. I would rather die than eat another creatures body. I also feel strongly that I should never push this point of view on others, but I'm always willing to share my philosophy of compassion for life.

That's cool.
    I respect that fact that you're not compelled to push your point of view on others. There is great value in that.

Whenever PETA does something outrageous, I typically respond by buying dinner for my friends. ... and I order veal for everyone.

Remember that extreme or outrageous things done by PETA trying to prevent suffering, unethical treatment, exploitation, etc. of animals, are done out of empathy and compassion. Vegans are a minority, and standing up for animals should not be laughed upon, just as standing up for women's rights in any outrageous way should not result in women being fired from a job or raped out of irritation.
    Do you sort of see where I'm coming from? You said you would buy a slaughtered calf out of spite for the group protesting naked on the street or possibly yelling out people wearing fur coats (this I can understand as unwarranted). I think that is a bit outrageous as well, but me buying seven pounds of soy sausages won't make up for the calf.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    If I become Vegan, am I still technically a man?

Are you kidding me! If you are a vegan, girls (and guys, whatever you like) will flock to you. They will be like, "awww he loves animals! He cares about the planet! I bet he cooks better than [insert famous chef here]!" Oh, dude, you have no idea how manly vegan guys are. Again, vegans are a minority, so the percentage of fit, super sexy men is probably much higher than the average bacon-cheese-burger guys;) oh, and apparently vegan guys last longer in bed...but I wouldn't know... *sheds a single virgin tear*
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    What if you had a pet cow who was super pampered and loved and didn't mind being milked. Could you eat the cheese with a clear conscience?
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    That's cool.
    I respect that fact that you're not compelled to push your point of view on others. There is great value in that.

Whenever PETA does something outrageous, I typically respond by buying dinner for my friends. ... and I order veal for everyone.

To be fair, PETA is well-hated even by animal-lovers. I'm very much against them and I feel strongly about the humane treatment of animals.

• UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    How long have you been a vegan? How long were you a vegetarian? Do you take any supplements and which ones? With all the restrictions to your diet, how do you make sure you are healthy?

Do you expect your friends, family and acquaintances to accommodate your veganism? Do they? Is most of your social circle vegan?

Why are you a vegan? Just answered.

I was pescetarian for six months, then octo-vegetarian for four months, then I switched to a vegan lifestyle in the Spring of 2015.
    I don't take any supplements. Before I went vegan, I was anemic, so I took iron supplements, but I stopped using them when I felt like they weren't working. I get almost, sometimes more than, 100% of my DV for iron now.
    When you think about, veganism is not restrictive at all. People only say it is because so much processed foods have animal products in them. How much animal foods do you eat a day? I'm guessing dairy (cheese, milk, foods containing dairy, whey), meat (chicken, cow, turkey, pig, fish), honey, other animal products...now think about the foods that aren't derived from animals. There seems to be quite an abundance, yes? So, what I do is avoid most processed foods. The only processed foods I eat are molasses, agave, Grape Nuts occasionally, rarely bread, and milk alternatives. Oh, and once a month I'll have mango sorbet.
    I'm leaving for college this year, so my family won't have to deal with me much longer, but they usually buy the cheap, bulk foods such as potatoes, beans, rice, bananas, and apples, and I deal with the other stuff. My friends are always curious about veganism and seem really proud when they have or make something vegan. I have a raw vegan friend, and three other "normal" vegan friends. I'm lucky:)
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Longtime vegetarian here. Hi!

What's your favorite replacement for eggs in baked goods? I haven't found anything better than ground flaxseed.

What's your favorite vegan chocolate brand? I like Theo.

Which vegan cheese do you prefer--cashew cheese, nutritional yeast cheese, something else?

Tempeh bacon is also magic: true, or definitely true?

Hello!
    I have never tried flax seeds before. Usually the only thing that I make that needs egg replacements are waffles, but I make waffles only twice a year, and I just use bananas or apple sauce. I can't remember what it's called, but isn't there that leftover juice from a can of chickpeas that one can use?
    I don't eat chocolate, because I can't have caffeine (psychological problem or whatever...caffeine messes with my mood to the extreme!)
    The one vegan cheese I tried was Chaio Cheese (Is that how you spell it??) and it was AMAZING! I can't remember what it was made out of though...oh and i tried Daiya once, it was disgusting. Worst ever.
    I don't eat tempeh anymore, it's part of my whole unprocessed foods thing, but when I did eat it (5-6 months ago), I would eat it straight out of the box without cooking it. I'm so weird...
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    What is your personal record for eating an entire package of Oreos?

Even before I chose veganism, I hated Oreos with a passion. You know those little bags of cookies that come in those huge boxes, and they would have Chips Ahoy!, Nutterbutters, Oreos, Vanilla Waffers, etc.
    I avoided Oreas each time. So...I have yet to eat an Oreo since going vegan. I don't think I will, though.

:open_mouth: I'm shocked!

Ok then how about yeast? Do you eat yeast? or is that not considered vegan?

I consider yeast vegan, but I don't personally eat it. I did in the beginning of veganism, though. My dad bought me a huge container and I put it on everything and nothing. Spoonfuls of it. Literally, I would take a spoon, pour it in a cup, and try eating it, but two bites in the roof of my mouth would be covered in it, so I would have to stop eating it. So glad that phase is over -.-
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What if you had a pet cow who was super pampered and loved and didn't mind being milked. Could you eat the cheese with a clear conscience?

For a cow to have milk, it needs to have a calf first. The calf needs to be separated from the mother right away, otherwise the mother won't let itself be milked (it wants to save its milk for the calf). The calf is then fed powdered milk and is deprived of growing up with its mother.

(I am not a vegetarian, but the reality is what it is.)
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »

For a cow to have milk, it needs to have a calf first. The calf needs to be separated from the mother right away, otherwise the mother won't let itself be milked (it wants to save its milk for the calf). The calf is then fed powdered milk and is deprived of growing up with its mother.

(I am not a vegetarian, but the reality is what it is.)

Yes. What they said^