The whoosh theory: true or false?

Options
Sorry if a similar question was posted not long ago but I keep seeing this theory around the internet that tries to explain weight loss plateaus, called the whoosh effect. It basically says that often when you lose weight, the fat in the fat cells is first replaced by water (hence no weight loss on the scale) until there's no fat in the cell left and it 'collapses' followed by a whoosh effect where you suddenly lose a lot of weight at once.

So I know that the fat cells don't collapse but is the rest of the science incorrect as well? I mean, I know water retention is a thing and a lot of people do experience sometimes sudden weight loss of several pounds after weeks or months of not losing but the idea that the fat is remplaced with water within the cells sounds too far-fetched.

So does anyone have any scientific data to back or disprove this theory?

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Its false.
    the cell does not collapse. The number of fat cells in our body is constant after we reach a certain age (around 25 ish) Cells are either repaired or replaced when the cell gets old. So even if the cell does not contain any fat, it will still be there.

Also, keep in mind that the cell is just a storage palce for energy. As with any storage space, it can hold 100% fat (max capacity) or it could be 1% Not sure if it can be zero (as in not active) but it will still be there until replaced by a new cell.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yes, to my knowledge, a fat cell can contain up to 10-12% water. (just about anything contains water in some shape or form)

But still, a fat cell does not vanish, even when its not "used". It will be replaced when it dies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 kg (55 lbs) and never ever experienced a "whoosh". But I did experience the "squishy fat". I had "squishy fat" for months while I continued to steadily lose weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's a theory based on observation and experience - so you could say it's not really either true or false, neither proven or disproven.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

The whooshes did seem to happen to me and I had a visual difference in how some of my fat appeared before the whoosh.

This. I don't know the exact mechanism, but it's extremely common.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'm in a squishy fat phase (and have been for a good few weeks). I HATE the squishy fat phases... I have the impression I look like a marshmallow right now...

I don't care what the mechanics of it are. But I'm seriously looking forward for the whoosh and the nice feeling of NOT being squishy that comes with it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Sorry if a similar question was posted not long ago but I keep seeing this theory around the internet that tries to explain weight loss plateaus, called the whoosh effect. It basically says that often when you lose weight, the fat in the fat cells is first replaced by water (hence no weight loss on the scale) until there's no fat in the cell left and it 'collapses' followed by a whoosh effect where you suddenly lose a lot of weight at once.

So I know that the fat cells don't collapse but is the rest of the science incorrect as well? I mean, I know water retention is a thing and a lot of people do experience sometimes sudden weight loss of several pounds after weeks or months of not losing but the idea that the fat is remplaced with water within the cells sounds too far-fetched.

Pretty much everything we know about how fat cells work tells us that this idea that fat cells become sacks of water is false. You might consider this: if it is a lack of energy that causes a fat cell to release fat, where does the energy come from to allow the fat cell to take on water? And if that energy is available, then why doesn't the fat cell just take on fat since it is an abundance of energy that causes the cell to take on fat?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'm in a squishy fat phase (and have been for a good few weeks). I HATE the squishy fat phases... I have the impression I look like a marshmallow right now...

I don't care what the mechanics of it are. But I'm seriously looking forward for the whoosh and the nice feeling of NOT being squishy that comes with it.

Same here. It's the worst part of fat loss in my opinion as you look fatter and less defined until the fat decides to go.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, where is the water held? I know some is retained in muscles if they are in need of repair, but otherwise where is it held and how does sodium change that?

Just curious. I've had wooshes and I know sodium adds weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced anything like this. I suppose it depends on the person...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In my experience, my squishy fat has been due to stretched out skin that is lined with fat. It's squishy because there's no longer an abundance of visceral fat holding my abdominal skin taut. I'm not sure if people who talk about squishy fat are talking about squishy abdominal areas or squishiness elsewhere, which is something I've never experienced.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So, where is the water held? I know some is retained in muscles if they are in need of repair, but otherwise where is it held and how does sodium change that?

Just curious. I've had wooshes and I know sodium adds weight.

It just accumulates in bodily tissues...the human body is 50-60% water
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It's not science; there are no studies backing it up. At best, it's an untested hypothesis.

That said, squishy fat followed by a whoosh is a very common observation/experience. The "water in the fat cells" is just a nice story to reassure people that they're not imagining things and that they're on-track.