Crystal light or diet soda?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm sure someone already said this but I'm not reading all the responses. Both are crap lol. Try flavoring your water with lemons or oranges. Something natural. I struggled with this myself for years. Diet soda was the reason I packed on so much weight bc it actually makes you crave more sweet things .. if you have to flavor your water with something by some organic juice made with real sugar and try to just add a little for flavor. I personally hated water but you'll get use to it. :) Best of luck love but stay away from those artificial sweeteners.. they are crap

That may be true for you, but it certainly isn't the case for me or many of the others chiming in sharing their weight loss successes while drinking diet soda. I find diet soda actually helps me because it's a zero calorie option when I want something sweet. I lost 50lbs while drinking it and now maintain a bmi of around 21 (or slightly less), while still drinking it.

And juice and sugar additions to water are going to have a lot more calories than diet soda. I no longer drink my calories, except for weekend beers :)
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Neither. Both trick your body's insulin response and you end up storing weight. Yes diet drinks make you gain weight. Drink water. Add lemon or cucumber if you don't like the taste.

Yup - agreed - lots of evidence (i.e. real scientific papers) on this. Sweeteners (depending on which ones) do affect insulin levels. The others just keep you used to wanting sweet things (psychological) and make it that much harder...

As suggested above - water is best and if you need something in it - a few slices of fruit :)

And now let the flame wars begin.

Yet I'm over here steadily losing weight while drinking diet sodas and Splenda in my coffee. I'm probably just special.

We special people who've lost weight using artificial sweeteners should form a club.

Yes! Let's do it!

I'm sure that some people gain weight while drinking diet soda. I've seen many people assume that a zero-calorie beverage means they get to eat a lot more food. Perhaps that has something to do with it.....

OP, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question. It's a taste preference, really. I love carbonated beverages, so I like to drink diet sodas. I drink plenty of plain water, as well. If you don't like the taste of the water you have available, have you tried different brands or filters? I know it sounds weird that water can taste different, but it definitely does.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone already said this but I'm not reading all the responses. Both are crap lol. Try flavoring your water with lemons or oranges. Something natural. I struggled with this myself for years. Diet soda was the reason I packed on so much weight bc it actually makes you crave more sweet things .. if you have to flavor your water with something by some organic juice made with real sugar and try to just add a little for flavor. I personally hated water but you'll get use to it. :) Best of luck love but stay away from those artificial sweeteners.. they are crap

That may be true for you, but it certainly isn't the case for me or many of the others chiming in sharing their weight loss successes while drinking diet soda. I find diet soda actually helps me because it's a zero calorie option when I want something sweet. I lost 50lbs while drinking it and now maintain a bmi of around 21 (or slightly less), while still drinking it.

And juice and sugar additions to water are going to have a lot more calories than diet soda. I no longer drink my calories, except for weekend beers :)

To further, I don't understand how diet sweeteners triggered a craving for sweets but juice didn't.

Ha, didn't even catch that lol. Good point :)
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I feel like all the debate on the artificial sweeteners in this thread should be deleted. It does not cause weight gain, it has been debunked here a million times and no matter how many links someone has, there is no scientific evidence and there never will be that calories appear out of nowhere. If you are aware that artificial sweeteners can increase your craving for sweets, you can use your willpower to ignore that craving. I drink both diet and crystal light, always have and until I had a baby I had no weight issues.

I do find that sometimes the carbonated drinks can cause minor bloat after I have one, but it doesn't last long or impact my weight so that's fine. I get a bit jittery if I have too much caffeine so I tend to gravitate toward the crystal light. I drink up to a pitcher of it a day and I have never had any issues. I don't crave sweets. If it works for you, you should continue to do it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    I feel like all the debate on the artificial sweeteners in this thread should be deleted. It does not cause weight gain, it has been debunked here a million times and no matter how many links someone has, there is no scientific evidence and there never will be that calories appear out of nowhere. .

Not going to happen. I have been here 3 years and this debate happens at least once or twice a week.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    60 lbs down i drink both crystal light & diet soda i drink water through out my work day but for dinner i have 1-2cup of diet soda. If im having trouble getting my water down i will use crystal light. Choose whichever YOU like. This is YOUR lifestyle change.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    OP, try sparkling water. I personally love LaCroix. It's fizzy, has a slight fruity after taste, but is not sweetened with anything. Try a box. You'll only be out $3.99 if you don't like it
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There is also evidence that the flora and fauna of your gut has a large roll to play in metabolism. There is evidence that sweeteners affect the flora/fauna in your gut. This could have a direct reflection on weight gain etc.

The problem is, we just don't know enough about it all and there is contradictory evidence at times.

It's up to the reader to make their own mind up.

I'd love to see the evidence. Especially about the fauna in your gut. Fauna is animal life. If you have fauna in your gut, you have much more serious issues to contend with than drinking diet soda.

To the OP - neither is healthier or unhealthier. Read the post about aspartame that several people have linked, it was written by a molecular biologist and cuts through all the fiction and scaremongering garbage about artificial sweeteners.

As to diet soda raising insulin levels, you'd think that would be something the American Diabetes Association might want to know about, since they recommend diet soda as a drink for diabetics. Unless one thinks that they're deliberately engaging in a conspiracy to harm/kill diabetics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There is also evidence that the flora and fauna of your gut has a large roll to play in metabolism. There is evidence that sweeteners affect the flora/fauna in your gut. This could have a direct reflection on weight gain etc.

The problem is, we just don't know enough about it all and there is contradictory evidence at times.

I'd love to see the evidence. Especially about the fauna in your gut. Fauna is animal life. If you have fauna in your gut, you have much more serious issues to contend with than drinking diet soda.

To the OP - neither is healthier or unhealthier. Read the post about aspartame that several people have linked, it was written by a molecular biologist and cuts through all the fiction and scaremongering garbage about artificial sweeteners.

As to diet soda raising insulin levels, you'd think that would be something the American Diabetes Association might want to know about, since they recommend diet soda as a drink for diabetics. Unless one thinks that they're deliberately engaging in a conspiracy to harm/kill diabetics.

Lol if people have fauna in there guts they should really start killing and properly cooking the animal first. All that activity will increase metabolism.
  • rileylovesarchie
    Options
    Sweeteners just make you more likely to eat more. But if watch your calories and pay attention, this is not an issue for most people on MFP. I only try to cut down on diet soda for my teeth's sake.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'd pick diet soda cause crystal light has 5-10 calories per serving. Diet soda has 0. Plus, I like the carbonation.

I am cutting back on soda just because I'm cutting back on my caffeine. I'm not a fan of the caffeine free sodas for some reason. I heart Diet Coke.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Neither. Both trick your body's insulin response and you end up storing weight. Yes diet drinks make you gain weight. Drink water. Add lemon or cucumber if you don't like the taste.
    No. Not true at all. an you please post peer reviewed studies, please?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yup - agreed - lots of evidence (i.e. real scientific papers) on this. Sweeteners (depending on which ones) do affect insulin levels. The others just keep you used to wanting sweet things (psychological) and make it that much harder...

As suggested above - water is best and if you need something in it - a few slices of fruit :)

How about you actually post these "peer reviewed" studies, then? Why is it, that the Diabetes association actually recommends 0 calorie sweeteners?

fruit is sugar and more likely to affect insulin levels....
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

There is no research showing this!

You cannot gain fat without a calorie surplus.

You are correct - you cannot gain fat without calorie surplus (in general). No discussion there...

Where there is confusion is that artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels. There is a mechanism that insulin resistance (type 2) is negatively affected by sweeteners and that puts weight on.

How did I miss this?

If there's fauna in my gut, I have bigger problems than wondering about what I'm drinking.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

You are correct - you cannot gain fat without calorie surplus (in general). No discussion there...

Where there is confusion is that artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels. There is a mechanism that insulin resistance (type 2) is negatively affected by sweeteners and that puts weight on.

How did I miss this?

If there's fauna in my gut, I have bigger problems than wondering about what I'm drinking.

Well, my organic chemistry teacher kept talking about "yeasty beastys" so maybe you have those fauna????
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

How did I miss this?

Well, my organic chemistry teacher kept talking about "yeasty beastys" so maybe you have those fauna????

Yeast is considered flora not fauna