February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've decided I need a ticker for my yearly mileage goal, lol. So, this is my ticker test post

ETA: success!

exercise.png

Cool!

I've got rewards lined up for my progress through Run the World.

https://www.runsoftheworld.com/

They have Europe, USA, and Down Under.

You upload your runs (I'm linked to Strava) and it shows you how far you have run round your chosen continent.

You get rewards along the way, and a free t-shirt at the start, and bling at the end of the year.

You've got till the end of February to upload and backdate your runs from the start of 2017.

That is awesome! Off to check out the site right now!
    @Orphia - runaroundeurope looks pretty interesting - I am a sucker for a tshirt and some bling!

Do it! It's great getting home after a run and seeing your position on the leaderboard.

It also has clubs you can join (it donates $5 to the club when you register) and you can see your position in the club leaderboard too.

@Orphia I am now running 'around the USA', lol. I figured it would be a cool thing to have at the end of my first true full year of tracking mileage, with a concrete distance goal at the end.

Woo hoo! I look forward to hearing about your progress on the map.

So far, I've started in Canberra, and have 40 km to go before Sydney.

ETA: This is the free T-shirt I got from them

20170204_zpsucsrosfm.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Hugs, best wishes, and a whole lot of patience for you! xx

@shanaber How is your heart rate being measured?

My wrist-based Garmin FR 225 would go from resting to a max of 212 during a run... not possible!

I've edited my Garmin zones to be more like Strava's, after much trial and fretting.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    jennyp wrote: »
    I am new to this and am out of shape. What would you recommend starting with?

@jennyp - I, and many others here, started with the Couch To 5K (C25K) programme which slowly introduces you to running via a jogging/walking mix. You can get the plan online and follow it yourself, or get one of the many free apps for your phone. The best advice I received when doing it is to go very slow on the running sections ("if you think you can jog slower, you're going too fast"). Many people new to the programme make the mistake of thinking they have to run all out in those sections.

The aim of the programme is to gradually increase the time you spend on your feet so your joints and muscles get used to it - your cardiovascular system (energy/oxygen delivery) will likely adapt quicker than the mechanical development so it's important not to push too hard early on even if you feel you could do more otherwise you risk injury.
  • jennyp
    jennyp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. Looking forward to getting back into shape
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I am SO sorry. Trying the cycling... you never know! You may fall in love with that like I have.

@shanaber - Like @mobycarp said I hope that is a faulty HRM. That just seems so strange to jump like that! I'd be too afraid to look at it! I think I remember you went to a cardiologist recently...? And I LOVE your profile pic!

@jennyp - I also did Couch to 5K. I never thought I'd be a runner but that got me hooked!

5 miles this morning. I haven't had a 5 mile run before work in quite a while, so I was happy I got out there early enough.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day(5)
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles
    2/8 - Strength training + 3.1 miles with running group
    2/9 - rest day (6)
    2/10 - 4.1 miles
    2/11 - 44 miles biking
    2/12 - 53 miles biking
    2/13 - 3.2 miles + strength training
    2/14 - rest day (7)
    2/15 - 5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    2/1- 8.1
    2/2- REST
    2/3- 4.23
    2/4- 14.11
    2/5- 3.16
    2/6- 6.16
    2/7- REST
    2/8- 8.09
    2/9- REST
    2/10- 4.04
    2.11- 14.01
    2/12- 3.04
    2/13- 6.06
    2/14- 3.16

Total: 74.16

Monthly goals:
    Mileage goal: 150
    Real Goal: Stay healthy enough to get into the swing of real marathon training.

Today's notes: First foray into more sustained tempo pace runs. Today's assignment was 3 miles at E then 2x1 mile at Tempo with 90sec recovery followed by 3 more miles at E.

Miles 1-3 I averaged 9:42 pace.
    First Tempo Rep was 8:20 pace
    Second Tempo rep was 8:20 pace
    Miles 6-8 I averaged right at 9:30

On the 2 tempo reps, 8:20 is the fast end of my tempo range of 8:20-8:35. The run felt very good, especially it was day 6 of running for me. Looking forward to tomorrow's rest day though!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Back to back half marathons?!?

Well, my job announced they are paying for the registration for employees who want to race in the Chicago spring half marathon (or 10K, but I'd prefer the HM). My boss might work it out so I can travel up there for work so I can do the race. It's also 1 week before a half marathon trail race I planned to sign up for. Has anyone done this and if so, were you able to race both all out or did you do one at a lower intensity?
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Today's run was uneventful...just the way I like 'em.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25
    08 - 12.43
    09 - 7.61
    10 - 16.13
    11 - 5.60
    13 - 13.46
    14 - 6.83
    15 - 13.40

Total: 105.92 / 125
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 you are awesome, thank you so much! I swear I read through that first post like 3 times and still couldn't figure it out. Maybe I had copied the wrong link or something, but whatever, it's working now! You rock!

So, I have a date with a local running store at lunch today (not a chain place, and I've heard great things about it)! I'm looking for a pair of trail shoes and a second pair of running shoes to alternate with my normal favorite model, so that I can get a rotation going, especially as I add more mileage. So excited! Lol.

Also feeling really good about getting back into lifting finally. Had a great session at the gym last night, and had a super nice person offer a tip on my weighted standing side bend form that was super helpful in letting me keep my obliques engaged the whole time. I really do like when there are just genuinely nice, helpful people at the gym. I don't usually have a lifting buddy, so it's not often I get feedback on my form, lol
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well what I thought was going to be a "nothing to worry about, a month of PT" didn't turn out that way. Orthopedic did xrays and I have....are you ready femoroacetabular impingement or Hip impingement.

Hip impingement, also known as femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), is a condition in which there is abnormal and wearing contact between the ball and socket of the hip joint. The result is increased friction during hip movements that may damage the joint.

On the xray you can see in the circle the bone on the hip is pointed, that is a bone spur that is pressing on my labrum nerve. He said the more I run the worse it’s going to get and I’m taking a big chance on tearing the labrum if I haven’t already.

I need to go next week for an MRI to make sure there is no tear and also to make sure my hip isn’t fractured. He said we don’t want to think FAI is the only problem if there is a fracture too. Bottom line, at least at this point, is I need hip surgery. It’s done arthroscopic so I was like okay cool then I said what is the recovery time? That’s when I started to cry. Probably crutches for a few weeks, about 6 weeks of PT, but this was the bad part, could be 3 to 6 months before you are painless while running, if you ever are…come along and say what!? He said you wanted the worst case and I’m giving it to you. He said if I listen and do what I’m told he thinks I can be running, hopefully without pain, around 10 - 12 weeks after surgery. Okay I’m good with that, not happy but good.

I’ll need to go to either Birmingham or Nashville for the surgery, they don’t have a doctor that will do it here.
    He doesn’t want me to run while I’m waiting for the MRI appointment, I just looked at him and he said yeah I know it hurts like hell so you can’t anyway right? But I have a feeling you want to try so don’t. He said I can bike and swim, walk if it doesn’t hurt to do that, but don’t run.

Well I guess I need to digest all of that.

3wdzukn99mec.jpg

Really sorry to know about this. May God give you strength and a speedy recovery! Good luck.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for February
    2/1 5 miles - 5
    2/2 10miles - 15
    2/3 5 miles - 20
    2/4 18 miles - 38
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 10 miles - 48
    2/7 10 miles - 58
    2/7 5 miles - 63 << Daily Double and leg workout in the gym
    2/8 5 miles - 68
    2/9 7.5 miles - 75.5
    2/10 REST DAY
    2/11 14 miles - 89.5
    2/12 REST DAY
    2/13 7 miles - 96.5
    2/14 7.5 miles - 104
    2/15 4 miles - 108

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow, I posted yesterday morning, then didn't come back and missed a lot!

@skippygirlsmom - Ugh. So sorry for that news for you. Listen to the doc, sounds like he's pretty runner friendly. Try swimming if it doesn't hurt and you have somewhere to do it.
    @Elise4270 - Re. age and surgery: my wife is 43 and will soon have her second knee replacement. Pretty young, but it happens.
    @shanaber - Yikes! I don't measure my heart rate when I run, but perhaps I should be. Be careful and take care of yourself.

2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.
    2/4 - 2.3 'mill miles and then Bodypump class
    2/5 - Super Bowl = no run AND way overeating.
    2/6 - 4.01 miles.
    2/7 - 4.25 miles.
    2/8 - Shoveled in lieu of running. I hate snow.
    2/9 - 5.3 treadmill miles. Trek class with a lot of "tempo".
    2/10 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    2/11 - 4.33 miles. Red Flannel Run. Was supposed to be a 5 mile course! Someone sure missed on that. I was very happy with my pace and would have finished the 5 in under 40:00, so I was a little disappointed with that.
    2/12 - 2.3 treadmill miles and Bodypump class.
    2/13 - 4.1 miles.
    2/14 - Impromptu rest day. Woke up with significant pain in both feet and some discomfort in my right hip. Not sure what's going on, but thought it best to rest a bit.
    2/15 - Woke up with no pain. Perhaps it was serious DOMS from my race on Saturday?
    4.47 miles. (I think it was more like 4.62...GPS waited a block or so to start, weird).

exercise.png

Planned Races
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today's assignment was 3 x 10min hard/3min recovery. Felt a little tired and a bit stiff in my lower legs before setting out and kept looking for excuses to postpone the run but know I'm out for drinks tonight so definitely won't fancy a hard run tomorrow.

Anyway, run went really well. I based my running on perceived effort and found my hard intervals were a lot faster than the pace ranges I intended them to be - even including warm-up, recovery intervals and cool-down my average pace was still within the "hard" pace range (by 1second). All in all today's run totalled 7.91km. I'm not overly concerned about the pacing at this stage since my predicted marathon finish (based off my 10k time which is my most recent PR) is a lot faster than the time I've used to set my training pace ranges. I'll keep going as is until my half next month then reevaluate whether I need to adjust.

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
    05-Feb: 6.6k + 5.5k easy
    06-Feb: 7.5k tempo
    07-Feb: 4.1k easy
    10-Feb: 10k easy
    13-Feb: 16k MP
    14-Feb: 6.4k steady
    15-Feb: 7.9k as 10min hard/3min recovery intervals

2017 Confirmed Races:
    19-Mar: Richmond Half Marathon
    14-May: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @jennyp - I concur in the advice to start with a Couch to 5K or similar program. That's where I started in August 2011, with the goal of being able to run the 3.5 mile Corporate Challenge without walking breaks the following May.

There are a lot of variants on the C25K programs. What they have in common is you start with walk/run intervals, and the intervals get progressively more challenging. Most have you run 3 days a week, and stress that you don't run on consecutive days. Most stress that you don't run more than the program calls for, even if you feel like you can. I found that these conditions were important for me to make progress instead of just running till I was so sore I had to take a week off.

Does it work? Well . . . when I started, my program called for me to walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes. I found I could run for 1 minute, then I had to slow to a walk. So I built myself a 2 week remedial program to get to where I could run for 3 minutes, then followed the program I'd found. Yes, I was able to run 3.5 miles without walking breaks the following May. But it also got me hooked on running, and I ended up running Boston 4 years after that.

So when you see me post something like, I ran a 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down on either side of 8 miles of challenging speed intervals, realize that I couldn't always do that. I came from a place where I could only run for 1 minute before I had to slow to a walk. I can't guarantee that you'll be able to develop yourself to where you can run Boston; but I'm confident that anyone who wants to run and doesn't have a medical condition preventing them from running can develop to the point of running a 5K. When you get there, you'll be in a better position to decide what else you might want to do.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @jennyp Welcome to the group. Definitely try a couch to 5k type app or just do your own run/walk intervals. Although I had been working out a couple years, I had a hard time running a mile without walking. I found couch to 5k too hard and ended up doing my own thing. But later found out I was running way too fast! So just take it really slow.

No run for me today. I started getting sick around lunch yesterday. I caught a cold from my son. I NEVER catch things from my family. I definitely think that the amount of sleep deprivation I've dealt with the past 3 months left me vulnerable :(

I got a good hour long workout in immediately after work yesterday but then I went downhill fast. Hopefully I can shake this off quickly and move on.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 37/13 km

A beautiful night run in cool weather. I prefer it over day runs temperature wise.

15/2/17 Run 5 km (walk 8 km)
    13/2/17 Run 10 km ( walk 7 km)
    7/2/17 Run 10 km
    5/2/17 Run 5 km
    2/2/17 Run 7 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow (walk 3 km)
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Does it work? Well . . . when I started, my program called for me to walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes. I found I could run for 1 minute, then I had to slow to a walk. So I built myself a 2 week remedial program to get to where I could run for 3 minutes, then followed the program I'd found. Yes, I was able to run 3.5 miles without walking breaks the following May. But it also got me hooked on running, and I ended up running Boston 4 years after that.

So when you see me post something like, I ran a 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down on either side of 8 miles of challenging speed intervals, realize that I couldn't always do that. I came from a place where I could only run for 1 minute before I had to slow to a walk. I can't guarantee that you'll be able to develop yourself to where you can run Boston; but I'm confident that anyone who wants to run and doesn't have a medical condition preventing them from running can develop to the point of running a 5K. When you get there, you'll be in a better position to decide what else you might want to do.

This has to be one of the most inspirational posts I have read in a long time, and gives me hope that one day I'll be able to look back and say "Hey, I remember a time when I considered an 8:00 pace to be incredibly quick..." after completing substantial mileage at an easy pace of 8:00. I can dream, right?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty You are killin' it!