WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Heather, consider that very good though.

I have so much to say and to me it is terrible that right now all I can say is that my sister is on my mind. She is still in ICU and at the hospital she is in ICU is the typical ICU, no phones in the room, small rooms that are surrounding a nurses station. The one I was in was like a regular nursing unit. But if I were able to call her I would be even more worried. She is still confused, will go to sleep while she is talking. All this started yesterday when her husband called, she didn't remember if she had eaten, taken any of her medicines or anything. The pneumonia is better so I guess that is good. I was so worried that her knee replacement revision was affected. She also has had MRSA so is a carrier and can raise it's ugly head anytime it wants to. But so far the knee is good. She is going to have an MRI today, not only for the confusion but she has had two kinds of cancer, the second one she chose to leave untreated. This is the sister that one day she went to pick up her car and ended up quite a bit away and was going to have to either retrace the back roads she got there or go on a highway which she has avoided in her 67 years of life. /after a lot of testing, they could find nothing wrong with her. So I am very worried about her.

Sorry I have not made any replys to anyone except Heather which was right before I wrote this.

Love you all, Joyce in very sunny Indiana

I'm sorry, my thoughts are with you and your family
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kate – Do you put anything on it, such as a sauce; if so, what?

Tracie – Nothing wears you down than a stressful job. I worked one; but, loved it – exciting; but, I think it had a lot to do with my ‘mental health’. Now, I sit home and don’t do too much other than read, get on the computer, and make trips into town for various reasons.

The nurse came out and did her physical for our insurance. According to her scales I had lost one of those ‘pesky’ lbs.; then, she told me they weighed heavy and took off 5 more. I can handle that – just hope when I go for my weigh-in, it will show the same.

Oh dear – I don’t envy you for having to deal with physicians and computers at the same time. Mine gets really upset if his computer is down. I would not like living out of a suitcase either.

Sarah – I loved the moose uber, too!

Toni – It’d be ‘nice’ to be able to pack up and go wherever you are; and, stay just long enough not to overstay your welcome. I would not want to go to California now; seems like the entire state has more rain than people. Mudslides, dams that might breech any moment and could ‘wipe out’ 8 towns. Seems like the entire country has had crazy weather everywhere. Straight line winds and a huge tornado down here in Albany; mammoth ice and snow storms in the northeast, everywhere … storms, storms, storms.

Can’t be blamed this time around.

Sorry that your son and DDnL are so busy being off at a conference. I hate that we don’t see our DYS and family but a few times a year (3). I miss them so much and miss out of the granddaughter's activities! We miss so much! DDnL#2 just called to tell us that DYMGD made the cheer team for middle school. He ‘ex’ wasn’t happy because he had scheduled their vacation (same week that she’ll be off at cheer camp); but, he was able to get it changed. This will be the first time she had been off overnight for that length of time. It’ll be a good experience for her and she will be with other ones in the squad and school. DDnL#2 has to reactivate her FB page, not too happy about that; but, that is the way the teacher-sponsor will contact the mothers about things such as practice, which uniform they will be wearing. Have to go get fitted for 2 of them. Guess maybe we will send some $$$ for that; DH gave DOS some $$$ to help pay for a gown for prom. It isn’t going to be at her school, so I hope they will make her wear it, if she gets asked to go to school prom. They did that to DOGD.

DOGD emailed me today, main reason was for any suggestions about how to keep her ‘roommate’ out of their room while they are gone. They are packing up to move the end of the month. She’s worried about her violin, W2 form, and some school work. Says she has already taken some of her kitchen things. Hide the violin under and behind boxes in the closet. She isn’t going to go through any that are sealed up. Take the paperwork with you.

Most important … she is boarding their dog. Good idea. They have a roommate from Hell; the boy is ‘fine’; but, she says that to call her female roommate a "B****" would be considered a compliment. She is counting the days down. That has kept her ‘stressed out’. Oh, to be 20 years old. I never had a roommate that I ‘hated’; but, I did have one who got so tired of me, that she literally taped a red line down the middle of the efficiency apartment one day while I was at work. Ceiling, walls and floor. I’m surprised that she did not figure out how to half the bathroom. She even went so far as to do the refrigerator (and freeze), cabinets in kitchen, the double sink. Hells bells, I did not stay in that situation long, for sure. I think even now, I am much more content than when I was young, working, keep house clean, cooking, and raising children. If Louis had not been such a big help with our sons, I would have certainly gone crazy. Being the one who has everything fall back on them is 'hard'; but 'hard' on everybody involved.

Lisa – I agree, a trunk bike rack is nothing but a P.I.T.A.

Yep, like deaths, they tend to run in 3’s. We have a nursing home here (2 flashing light town); my BnL who always reads the obits online about this area since they lived here for over 25 years, called one day and asked if I knew any of the 6 people who had died here. Not a soul; but, told him about the nursing home; which answered his question. He thought we were having some sort of ‘epidemic’. LOL!

Yvonne – Thanks for reminding me of the name. Ours is sealed; but, no name on it, I just know that it isn’t the Andouille. I think I might take out a package for supper tomorrow.

Pip – Love the shirt. When my oldest sister lived here; we shopped at the same grocery store. It was fairly small; but, bigger than most at the time. I’d get called Suzanne and she’d get called Lenora all the time. They only knew which one was which if we had our children with us. She had 2 girls, I had 2 boys. I had a shirt made: Sisters? YES! Twins? NO and our names on the back. They’d really get flustered if either of us brought our nieces or nephews with us. I didn’t think we looked that much alike until I saw a picture of the two of us at Christmas one year. But, I think she looks more like our Daddy’s side; and, I am looking more like my Mother. I used to think our middle sister was a ‘spitting image’ of her.

Heather – Different words for different things. Here a ‘viewing’ is a funeral term; and a ‘showing’ is a house thing. Have to make sure that I see who has written the post.

Joyce – I am keep you and your sister in my prayers. I think it is scary to know a sister is going through something and have no good way to know how she is doing. Do you think someone there with her could set up a CaringBridge.com site and post daily (or several times) what their condition is or what they need. My niece set up one for my DBnL when he had a stroke and they were down in Miami. FL at the time. It was such a great thing because she would ‘journal’ what was going on, his progress, his surgeries, his set-backs, when he was out of ICU and into a step-down ICE unit, moved to a regular floor, started PT and OT and finally when he was released to fly back to Atlanta area where they lived. His recovery was nothing short of a miracle. If something happened she would post about it and specifically ask for prayers for that. My middle sister lives in Miami, so she saw her every day. It was hard on both of them. She did not want to leave his side; and, the nurses wheeled in a recliner for her to sleep in (in the ICU); when he got better, he really did not want anybody else doing things for him other than oldest sister. Niece also asked that this ‘neediness’ would not roll over into their lives at home. It was just a good way to converse back and forth.

Sue – You might consider digging up those daffodils, because they can be poisonous to some animals. It is probably given off and odor that they don’t care for. There is a popular flower that comes back every year … usually even more so. It is a pretty flower; but, farmers make sure that it is not within reach of their cows because it will poison them and sometimes kills them. I can’t think of the same; but, they come in different colors (yellow, pink, yellow surrounded by pink or the opposite is true).

Louis is talking to DDnL#2 about if she can mail certain things. She must have been talking about a cake she had made ... HA! HA! HA!

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Tracie ... sorry your stress level is so high ... changing perspective is easier said than done. Will be praying the next week or so goes smoothly for you. Stress and exhaustion are not a good combination.

Joyce ... praying for all will be well with your sister. It is so hard when we feel helpless.

Michele ... when my son loses staff, I become the staff. Don't get me wrong, I love my son and I will do anything for him. But we are trying to set things up so that as I and my husband age, there will be other supports for our son besides his parents or a nursing home (which would be an insult to a young man of his intellect and potential). It's especially tough right now with my husband's health issues and the needs of other family members that are requiring my time. It will eventually work out. Just a lot on my plate right now.

So we got a preliminary report back on husband's MRI. His vertebrae have NOT destabilized which is great news! No need for pins and rods at this time. But he has a bulging disc in the same area as his recent surgery. Heavy doses of steroids ordered today to get him through the weekend and then an appointment with his surgeon after he's had time to personally review the MRI. I guess there are "options," but we don't know what they entail.

I went to bed early last night and plan to do the same this evening. I have a mountain of laundry that needs done and the house needs a thorough cleaning, but it can wait. I experienced heart palpitations and dizziness yesterday ... I know from experience that this is a combination of stress and exhaustion ... so no further warning needed!

Beth near Buffalo

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post Progress update of my Feb goals.
    Yesterday's Results
    ✔1. Log/COMPLETE the entry daily.
    2. No eating after 9pm.
    3. Fiber 30g daily
    ✔4. Walk 30 active Fitbit min daily.
    5. Declutter ✔️clothes, books, office supplies.
    ✔6. In bed by midnight

Had a better day. Tomorrow will be better yet.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Queene – glad to meet you, I have no idea how many of us there are I started naming names and at 15 realized I would need to write a list…. Some have been here for years, some flit in and out, some come for a while and are then gone…

Sarah – hang in we are sitting on your shoulders, and in your pockets reminding you more veggies less sweets and starches… and NOT to beat yourself up if you slip, but just to make a better choice on the next bite.

Kate – if I did not know what the discussion was I’d be asking what that was…. Kinda looks like ham gone past its prime…

Carey - I have a motto for life when I just can’t see into the future – not even a few hours… “ Leap, the net will appear” and it always does.

Rita – I would love to help in any way I can!!!!! My mom is from Stratford, CT and her family live in Milford and Orange She moved here with my Dad in 1952, and would never go back to the snow– I know she’d love to meet you.

Katla – My brother has no patience and no wiliness to adapt, if the chemo doesn’t do the trick or if it is too uncomfortable he will most likely either let nature take it’s course or kill himself. My prayer (and I don’t pray) is that if he kills himself he doesn’t take anyone else with him. He’s not stable.

Tracie – no job is worth that!

Toni - “About turning 50- it was no big deal to me. The birthday that really got me was 35. I felt like I should have the perfect, stable life by then - 2 kids, career, successful husband, home with the picket fence. At that point in my life I had so much regret. Sooooo much better place now! Living contentedly with my reality, doing what I can to change me........” That was so me!!! But at 30! I had no man in my life, was renting, and really unhappy - I agree, so much better place now…..

Joyce – sending hugs!

Lisa - sending hugs!

So an update on Sherry, I called her a couple of days ago and we have been texting back and forth….she is reading some of our posts. Her living situation is still safe and good, but she is not doing too well physically, there is some blood work issues leading to a CT scan, a colonoscopy, a referral to a neurosurgeon for memory loss issues, and to an Orthopedic as she is having a lot of back pain. She feels like her role here is to make us smile and since she’s not up to that she is not posting just reading, but I told her we care for her more than for the Minions!

February Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book – Done (Jan and Feb too)
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles
    Kim in N. California
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    7iwovot0ct85.gif

My word for 2017 is “Mindfulness” .. age 52 -34 lbs lost 68.5 to go! 1200 cal/day avg.

pN7OV0H.jpgpN7Om9.png

Marni in Alaska
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Sherry ... sorry to hear you're having health issues. Hang in there! We're thinking of you with or without the minions!

Beth
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of an extreme cardio DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Sculpt DVD. THEN WE LEAVE!

I've been trying to get as much packed as possible. Vince doesn't understand that I just don't/can't wait until the absolute last minute. I think if it were up to him, we wouldn't start packing the car until after we've given the cats the sedative.

Last night Vince says to me "are you going to do any laundry" I wasn't planning to, that's why I did it earlier. But he wanted me to do a load of whites

Went to Food Lion to get soda and then bought gas. Vince was just asking me how many days of clothes I'm bringing. I really can't tell him. I have shortsleeved/sleeveless shirts down there. I am bringing a few 3/4 length sleeved shirts in case I need them. I have a pair of flip-flops down there so even tho I am taking socks, that doesn't mean that I'll be wearing them.

Kim - it's now February, are you still working on those cards?

queene - it's good that you aren't supporting your daughter. It hurts, I know. But in the long run you aren't helping but hurting her if you do. To me, a parent's job is to guide their child so that when the parent is no longer there (and that day will come) the child can take care of themselves.

Welcome everyone new!

Tracie- please take care of yourself. We are concerned.

Lisa - good thoughts being sent for your husband. Hope he's soon out of pain

Rori - congrats on being on the 10 year plan!

Having a hot flash so am having some frozen grapes

Kim - absolutely we care about Sherry. Tell her that over and over. If she doesn't post a minion, it's not like we're going to fall apart. Thanks so much for the update about her.

Cleaned the stovetop, vacuumed the rugs in the kitchen, cleaned the kitchen floor. I know it's silly, but I really hate coming home to a messy house. Vince said something earlier about turning off the computers tonight. Who knows if he'll get to it? I will take my laptop so I can post. I can't seem to post from my tablet. Got the food that we're taking (refrigerated) packed plus the food that I'm taking in the car so I can have something decent when he stops at someplace like McD's.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day :smile:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 11.10min, 15.7amph, 146mhr, 2.9mi = 115c
    apple watch- 112c
    JOG- 19.17min, 6.1-7.0speed, 9.39ap, 135ahr, 149mhr, 2mi = 200c
    apple watch- 217c
    bike ride gym 2 dome train station- 7.26min, 137mhr, 12.2amph, 1.5mi = 89c
    apple watch- 53c
    bike ride puyallup train station to sumner train station- 16.32min, 11.5amph, 135ahr, 148mhr, 3.1mi = 173c
    apple watch- 110c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.06min, 9.39min mi, 145ahr, 176mhr?, .5mi = 83c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.29min, 146mhr, 9.29ap, .4mi = 57c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.17min, 8amph, 150mhr, 2.8mi = 206c
    apple watch- 163c

Total cal 923
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

Re in TX - Thank you so much for the idea of examining what lies beneath. I have a few stressors. Family responsibilities. I'm procrastinating about taking care of some paperwork... that's when I started feeling this antsy feeling. I pulled the files out tonight. And made a list of next steps.

I procrastinate. It's something I know about me. And I've studied this procrastination thing for years. I'm actually better at "doing it now". I've got tips for how to "smash procrastination"... heck I've got Wednesday as my fall-back anti-procrastination day. Wednesday is also my desk work day. I think I just get in a rut. Perhaps a bit depressed. I'm retired - so that's a blessing. None of the stress I once had in a demanding job. I'll get it together.

Smash Procrastination
    ▫️ 1. Decide in advance - when you will do it
    ▫️ 2. Make it a habit
    ▫️ 3. Pretend you're not going to do it - just going to prep, get supplies together
    ▫️ 4. Accept that it'll never be perfect
    ▫️ 5. Break it down to steps
    ▫️ 6. Sprint against the task (pomodoro tech)
    ▫️ 7. Put yourself on the line. Public commitment

-- Ginger in Texas
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, have fun!

Oconnell5483 you are EPIC?????? Yikes! You are what caused my husband to retire early since he couldn't take EPIC and decided to retire before they went live at our hospital. Yet when we are in the hospital or get our labs done, we love how it works. When it first came up live it was really hard for my nurse friends to do a patient admission and discharge but that was back in 2009. All of them are retired now, not because of EPIC but because they are as old as me and retirement age. As a patient utilizing it, I love it. I feel sorry for you in all the training sessions especially with the doctors. I think they would be the worst to teach because of their egos. My favorite operating system was MIPS. I'm not techie at all but that was real easy to understand. I worked as an RN back in the day when they had an ample amount of RNs on staff and if there was a day where a unit secretary called in I would step in and be that for the day. It is quite a change to go from an RN of 6 patients to a secretary for 44 patients for an 8 hour shift. I can't remember the name of the operating system we used between MIPS and EPIC but I never could get it. I did it enough to do my job but not enough to trust myself to put an order in to help the secretary out. That was always a big pet peeve of mine when I would train new nurses. I would tell them that they had 4-6 patients and the secretary had 44. If you want the labs done in a timely fashion that the doctor just ordered and that you are really concerned about, put them in the computer yourself and just make a notation to the US. Same for medicine. You are hurting your patient by not getting them started as soon as possible.

DJ, I saw a movie the other night on Hallmark about a chef. She made wonderful chili and her secret was putting in one of the hot pepper sticks that sold for 25 cents. I assume it was kind of like Big Red chewing gum.

Lenora, I don't think Norma is bad enough to start CaringBridge. We have a facebook message board that is very active. I started it when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and died 6 weeks later. I don't know how many times I added notes when she was in hospice. I guess I just needed to talk to my family and that facebook message board was my way of talking. I had a brother that was a chaplain of a hospice over in Cincinnati, Ohio at the time and those messages were so important to him that he convinced his hospice to install 3 computers and private space for their families. We don't have anyone that is techie here in town. The techie people are a niece in Arkansas and my son in law in Kentucky. I have a dear friend that has used CaringBridge and it is a wonderful way of communicating.

Kim, thanks for contacting Sherry and being her friend. I'm sorry she feels that her only spot here is to keep us laughing. I will have to email her and give her some encouragement.

Pamela, when both my Mom and my MIL turned 85, they were the ones who told us that 85 was a special number and they doubted they would get to 90 and they expected a BIG party!!!! And they got it. I'm glad your Mom understand why you can't come and you will get some special time later. We have that policy in our family. My birthday is March 3rd, daughter who lives out of town April 8. We celebrate it together. Granddaughter's birthday is middle of August, DHs is July 24, they celebrate it together. Other granddaughters birthday in November, we celebrate it when they come up for Thanksgiving. Our family as a whole celebrate Christmas when we can all get together. It is usually in January but one year it was in February.

Well I jsut had to g up and visit Norma this evening. She was much better but she said she perked up as soon as her husband walked in the door. Due to no available scheduling time, the MRI will be done tomorrow. At 7 PM her doctor still had not been in so she was still in ICU. There are no chairs in there and her husband had one specially brought in for him and the room couldn't hold another one so I didn't stay long. When she asked why I came back I just told her that the way she was earlier I just couldn't rest not seeing her again. I guess that is why I am so talkative tonight. I felt much better about her. Am I still worried, YES!!!!!! What caused such confusion????? Why did she have such a very high white blood cell count yesterday???? Why is her leg that she had the knee replacement revision so very weak now???? I was really worried that that was the source of the infection and the revision would have to be removed. Also the MRSA really, really made me worried. She is on some heavy duty antibiotics. I think I have talked about this before. When Dad died, I still had Mom so my parents were still with me. When Mom then died, since I still had Norma here in town, I still had a part of my parents here. I know Norma's days are numbered. she has already had a very agressive form of breast cancer and recovered fully from that. Now she has malignant melanoma and has chosen not to do any treatment and let nature take it's course. She feels if God is ready to take her then she is ready. If He wants to cure her, then He will. Either way, her chemo was so bad for her breast cancer was so bad she doesn't want to go through it again.

WOW, that's a lot, good night

Joyce, Indiana
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cheri, NYKaren Sue WA, DJ Glad you enjoyed the quote

Tracie: I can relate to go-live projects. Don't ignore the chest pain...it can be a pre-cursor to heart attack (voice of experience talking). Please take care of you first <3

TNToni: Love the thought "Living contentedly with my reality" What a postitive outlook :)

Kim N. California: Excellent motto...Can I borrow it? Never mind I'm not asking I'm just stealing it :) Thanks for the update on Sherry

Michele: Safe travels

Carey - Northern Alberta
    "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Shelisarin: Sorry. I don't know a thing about the keto group. Good luck finding them. :flowerforyou:

Toni in TN: You are not the only one who wishes her kids and grandkids were closer. Mine are far away geographically. Thanks to the internet and phone, I at least get to talk to them. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Lisa: I hope your DH is feeling better each day. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I'm sorry your sister is having such a hard time. (((HUGS)))

Alison: I also love Sleepytime Tea and Celestial Seasonings Peppermint Tea, too. :heart:

Kim (& Sherry): I'm so glad you were able to let Sherry know we care more about her than just the Minions. She has a lot of challenges & I'm sending good thoughts her way. Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Marni AK: Your stationary biker is doing is exactly what I did this morning before yoga. Then I did more of it at home on our recumbent in the living room. :smiley:

We had some sunshine today! It was WONDERFUL! The river is deep, but it is flowing by our place at a safe level. In other good news, DH is seeing better and feeling better. YAY! He has another eye surgery coming up in just a few weeks. It seems as though he is doing better and feeling more optimistic about life each day. This is a huge turn around and we both count it a great blessing.

Riding lesson tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, and at the same time wonder whether the stable will be ready to handle students. I hope they got their new well drilled and operational.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

February 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    <3

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Beth – You’re right about ‘stress and exhaustion’ cause heart palpitations and dizziness … it is scary any way you look at it when you are going through it. Are there any type of school or home with younger people where you son could do whatever he is capable of doing somewhat like a job, maybe ‘teaching’ those things of his intellect and potential’? I have a HS classmate whose oldest child was a “Down’s Syndrome” child. She has an apartment in their attic, even her separate door. Specifically, made for her. She cooks whenever she wants to, she goes for 'special ed' so she has friends over as well, does her own cleaning, and has a job that she can do. She has limitations; but, we (friends) met her for the first time as an adult last month; and, surprisingly she was a ‘talker’ like her Dad and he made sure that she was included in the conversation by explaining what was being talked about and would ask her what she thought about it. He encouraged her to make conversation with us and she did. I know that he and his wife are preparing her for when they are no longer around. They have 4 more children; but, I don’t think any of them live in the area. I’m sure they have considered all this and plans for her, if she survives them. While she does not need round-the-clock care; she will have to be in some type of situation where someone else helps her. An Assisted Living Facility of sorts; where maybe she could do things such as helping with other patients and cooking (or helping in the kitchen) or cleaning. I don’t know what your son is capable of doing. What his psychical limitations or other things that mean he lives with you and your husband. I know that it is something that you do have to think about as you get older. My prayers are with all y’all.

I was sad when my children grew up and moved. One became a Dad at the age of 19; wasn’t really prepared for that, or his decision. My DOGD will be 21 this March. She was 14-years-old when she came to live with him and DDnL#1. She’s a spunky thing; but, at times very OCD and moody. Very driven to the point that making anything less than a "B" is unacceptable to her. I try to ‘be there’ for her. Someone who can give an ‘opinion’ that is not necessarily clouded by what is going on around me, having children still at home. My DH gave our oldest son some money to help buy a prom dress for DMGD and said that DOS was a ‘bit’ miffed, apparently he is of the opinion that we paid for the dresses that were bought for DOGD. Nope, waited for her to lay down the $$$ she had in her wallet; then paid the balance, up to matching it. I might have given a little more; but, I also ‘shopped’ with my DOGD when she picked out her gowns. If they were too expensive, we said, don't even try it on' because you are not spending that much on a dress. I would have never spent $500 for a gown to be worn once. My DOGD ‘knew’ how much I had to add to whatever they had saved up. Did not go over that. It wasn’t my responsibility; but, she is supposedly going to Panama City Beach, FL to go ‘look’ at the gown and try it on to see if it fits her. While I don’t agree that she and her Mother must go that far for a dress (used); as she could go to at least 2 places in town that sell ‘high-end gently used clothes’ and, I have been to both and they have prom dresses. One thing the ‘Bridal Shop’ in town will do is ‘make a note of which gown is sold and where they go to school so that they won’t sell the same gown to another girl going to that particular prom. DOGD was aware that she would not get an expensive gown. The one she chose from a picture in a magazine; and, found at the Bridal Shop had to be altered to fit her. It cost a little over $100 to have that done. It was a ‘fishtail’ dress and because she is so short; the ‘fishtail’ had to be removed so that the extra length could be taken off. Damn thing nearly came apart during the alterations as the ‘flowers’ on it were just ‘tacked’ on with one long thread. The tailor in town told her step-mom that he would not touch it as it was a ‘piece-o-$#*T-ly-made gown. So they had to take it to a woman who did all the alterations for the store. The alterations did make the gown a lot better; but, I think it let her know the things she needed to look for. I went and there were gowns that I liked better; but, when a girl has her mind set on something, it is almost impossible to ‘talk them out of it’. But, she also wore it to the Senior walk-out; and, her dress was by far the prettiest.

'Paula – I am sure your mom would not ‘expect’ for you to ‘drive’ over a 3-day period of time for her birthday. My DH and I had done that before; driving from Jacksonville, FL to Metairie, LA just to see his daughter in a dance recital. Three hours; and, by the time she danced her 3rd dance - everybody was tired, some left as soon as their child had danced her last dance. Totally awful! It was really an unpleasant trip for me. I had lost a baby during my 5th month; and his ‘ex’ and her husband had ‘adopted’ a baby via a ‘private adoption’ which was born in the same month that our baby would have been born. Baby, baby, baby, do you want to hold the baby? That is all I heard for 3 days. I really wanted to just ‘puke’. I did not want to hold ‘any’ baby at that point. Took me a couple of years before I could; and, that baby was my DOS and boy did I ever hold him. Every chance I got; but, he was never a “Mama’s boy”; but, like Cracker he heard him pull up and then that was all she wrote. As for DYS; he waved his arms. “Don’t get in my space!”

Michele – The cats probably ‘know’ something is happening when you pack the car. “OH $#*T; we’re going to FL!” Thankfully Tux does pretty well in the car; but, this time he would not settle down so the vet gave me a ‘cat box’ to put him in. The first day I got him, he butted his way out of the box; well, his head anyway. The box was too big for him to have enough room to get out, but he tried. Got home and there was a hole in the end of the box; Tux is a ‘big’ cat @ 20lbs. Even heavier when he has his winter coat. He is all well after his visit to the vet.
    As for ‘dependent’ children – I try not to go there. I think that is best coming from his brother. I’ve decided that he has ‘lost his mind’ if he ‘thinks’ that she can home school the youngest; asking him if he thinks I would help out. UGH! I’m against the idea and I worry about them doing it for a year; then deciding she should go back to school, being tested (which they will do when she is going into middle school) this next school year and finding she’ll have to stay back in sixth grade because she can’t do the work. I wonder ‘if she is going to quit a job that provides the family with ‘much needed’ health insurance to do so. I don’t think they have thought the process out. I’m no ‘spring chicken’ to try to teach things that I have forgotten … it would be more like going back to school myself. Quite frankly, I don’t want that responsibility.

Me, too; nothing worse than coming home to piled up laundry, dirty dishes, and needing to vacuum and dust, and all those things I do during the week as it is. I want my vacation to be just that ‘vacate the house’.

Ginger – Thanks for the tips on procrastination. Since I have retired, I think I tend to sit a little more than cleaning up. Thankfully, when people come in, they are looking up, maybe they don’t notice the dust.

Lenora
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    If I could remember for a nanosecond what I was going to say or do, life would be much easier!!
    How do you add a pic?
    Kept it just under my calorie goal today so now I am going to bed while all is good. Lol

Karen in BC