I gain weight by eating healthy????????????

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I understand that weight is fluid. I do not understand my weight. I skip breakfast and lunch almost everyday, which helps with the weight loss. Two days ago i ate only grilled vegetables at dinner time and nothing else. I weighed 128.7. Yesterday i didn't eat breakfast or lunch but i did eat a bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, three pieces of pizza, and some cake. For some reason, i only weighed 128.2. Today, i ate a large ceaser salad for lunch and a tiny bit of chinese food for dinner and some wheat thins. For some reason i ended up weighing 129.4????

It is less than 1 lb difference in 3 days. Weight fluctuation is normal. If you are going to weigh every day get used to seeing the number go up and down. Be patient and stick to your plan.
    You don't mention calories at all. You ate some very calorie dense foods. Are you tracking your calorie intake? Using a food scale?
    Your diet doesn't seem super healthy in that you do not seem to be getting a balance of nutrients each day. It looks like just random food you grabbed. That doesn't matter for weight loss (because calories are important for that) but for health you might want to pay more attention to meeting your nutritional needs.
    A lot of foods you ate in the past few days are higher sodium which lead to water retention. That make the number on the scale go up by a pound or more.
    You might also have more food waste (poop) in your system still if you ate more.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    cdurgin wrote: »
    I know for me when I have a "cheat" meal, I see it two days later on the scale, not the next day.

I'm the same way. If it's a lot of salt, it hits the next day, but if not it takes a couple of days.

Seems weird to me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    kq1981 wrote: »
    When you skip meals your body stores anything it can as fat incase its being starved again.
    Google, why I'm not losing weight when I eat less. There's hundreds of articles

No. Plenty of us here do IF and only eat 1-2 times a day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does.

Don't most people doing IF eat two meals a day? I would have thought it would be difficult to pack all the nutrients you need for good health into a single meal. Do-able, but requiring a fair amount of planning. So, I would tend to say that 1 meal per day would not be a good idea for somebody like the OP who doesn't seem to be planning her food all that much. She may be setting herself up for cravings and binges by eating so rarely without paying attention to fat and protein content of her food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,729 Member
    i weigh sometimes in the day and night.. i love watching it go up and down lol..

I need a life lol

Bodies are weird. For a long time I'd be a pound less from evening to morning, like clockwork for the most part. This year it's a two pound drop overnight. Weird body is weird. But agreed, it is fun to watch. I have suddenly realised, despite me weighing daily but apparently I'm not overly observant, that second week after break week of my pill, my weight stalls. I'm interested to see at which point it drops. It also drops between Saturday-Monday of pill break week.

I find it totally fascinating.

Not so weird: It's really wired into the mechanism.

Where does your fat go when you lose it? Defecation/urination? Some, but not mostly.

Where, then? You exhale it. You burn the darn stuff up and it goes away like smoke out a chimney. (http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257 - watch the cute little video if you don't like research writings.)

While you're asleep, you have no food/water input, and plenty of exhalation. So, when you're in a calorie deficit, the majority of your fat loss leaves via exhalation. Moreover, your exhalation also includes moisture (humidity), and that has weight - more output without offsetting input for several hours. In addition, you sweat - maybe not lots, maybe not perceptibly, but you do. More water leaving with no offset.

No surprise that you weigh less in the morning than at night! ;)
  • AnnPT77
    cdurgin wrote: »
    I know for me when I have a "cheat" meal, I see it two days later on the scale, not the next day.

I'm the same way. If it's a lot of salt, it hits the next day, but if not it takes a couple of days.

Seems weird to me.

Also not so weird. Digestive system transit time varies by individual, but research suggests it easily exceeds 30 hours (sometimes significantly). Nutrients/calories have to be processed and converted into fat (or muscle, or whatever). Nutrients are extracted along the digestive route. It takes time.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340

Weight loss really is just a fun science-fair project for grown-ups. ;) Now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread - apologies, OP. :)
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    OP you have neither gained weight (in any meaningful sense) or eaten healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I understand that weight is fluid. I do not understand my weight. I skip breakfast and lunch almost everyday, which helps with the weight loss. Two days ago i ate only grilled vegetables at dinner time and nothing else. I weighed 128.7. Yesterday i didn't eat breakfast or lunch but i did eat a bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, three pieces of pizza, and some cake. For some reason, i only weighed 128.2. Today, i ate a large ceaser salad for lunch and a tiny bit of chinese food for dinner and some wheat thins. For some reason i ended up weighing 129.4????

What you do one day has very little bearing on what happens the next and body weight fluctuates naturally.
  • AnnPT77
    Sorry i know this isnt the actual reason why we brush our teeth in the morning but the only comment that came to mind after reading that is "I am going to need a mintier toothpaste from breathing out all that fat" LOL

CO2: Odorless. ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    i weigh sometimes in the day and night.. i love watching it go up and down lol..

I need a life lol

Bodies are weird. For a long time I'd be a pound less from evening to morning, like clockwork for the most part. This year it's a two pound drop overnight. Weird body is weird. But agreed, it is fun to watch. I have suddenly realised, despite me weighing daily but apparently I'm not overly observant, that second week after break week of my pill, my weight stalls. I'm interested to see at which point it drops. It also drops between Saturday-Monday of pill break week.

I find it totally fascinating.

Not so weird: It's really wired into the mechanism.

Where does your fat go when you lose it? Defecation/urination? Some, but not mostly.

Where, then? You exhale it. You burn the darn stuff up and it goes away like smoke out a chimney. (http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257 - watch the cute little video if you don't like research writings.)

While you're asleep, you have no food/water input, and plenty of exhalation. So, when you're in a calorie deficit, the majority of your fat loss leaves via exhalation. Moreover, your exhalation also includes moisture (humidity), and that has weight - more output without offsetting input for several hours. In addition, you sweat - maybe not lots, maybe not perceptibly, but you do. More water leaving with no offset.

No surprise that you weigh less in the morning than at night! ;)

Oh no that's not the weirdness. The switch from consistently 1lb overnight to now 2lbs overnight is the weirdness. I understand the mechanisms :)
  • fauziyasamir
    fauziyasamir Posts: 3 Member
    Hey i really really need help in making my diet timetable anyone please help me...i can't eat broccoli mushrooms purple cabbage .... please ... i will really appreciate ur help am new to this diet thing
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    When you skip meals your body stores anything it can as fat incase its being starved again.

No. Plenty of us here do IF and only eat 1-2 times a day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does.

Don't most people doing IF eat two meals a day? I would have thought it would be difficult to pack all the nutrients you need for good health into a single meal. Do-able, but requiring a fair amount of planning. So, I would tend to say that 1 meal per day would not be a good idea for somebody like the OP who doesn't seem to be planning her food all that much. She may be setting herself up for cravings and binges by eating so rarely without paying attention to fat and protein content of her food.

IF doesnt mean just one or two meals for everyone. it depends. I do IF and for me I usually dont eat after a certain time at night say 8pm and I dont eat again until say noon which gives me a 16:8 IF which means I fast for 16 hrs and eat in an 8 hr period of time. in that time I get in 3 meals and 2-3 snacks most days.some may only have 2 meals in that time frame,some do IF but its not the 16:8,they may do a 5:2 which means 5 days a week they eat low calories and the other 2 they eat at maintenance.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017

IF doesnt mean just one or two meals for everyone. it depends. I do IF and for me I usually dont eat after a certain time at night say 8pm and I dont eat again until say noon which gives me a 16:8 IF which means I fast for 16 hrs and eat in an 8 hr period of time. in that time I get in 3 meals and 2-3 snacks most days.some may only have 2 meals in that time frame,some do IF but its not the 16:8,they may do a 5:2 which means 5 days a week they eat low calories and the other 2 they eat at maintenance.

This was what I thought most people did for IF (2-3 meals; maybe a snack). I asked because I was genuinely surprised/curious to read that 1 meal/day would be a common thing.
  • anfgirl22
    anfgirl22 Posts: 4 Member
    Carbs and calories are NOT the enemy!! And please don't skip meals. By doing so you are slowing down your metabolism. I used to eat 1300 calories a day, was yoyo-ing in weight the whole time because it was not a sustainable diet. My body was in and out of starvation mode all the time and held onto everything. Now I eat around or maybe a little less than 2000. I honestly don't really care about my calories too much, I'm more concerned with macros and eating when I'm hungry, stopping when I'm full. I've increased my carbs (I mean whole unprocessed foods, not refined sugar) and calories and am not gaining weight by doing so, just the opposite. Focus on whole, plant based meals! Your weight is going to fluctuate naturally, don't base it off day by day meals. I have never been happier or more satiated since I started eating bananas, oats, rice, beans, potatoes, etc. Oh and drink lots of water. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    I can identify with the "bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, 3 pieces of pizza and cake" kind of day. But I'm hopeful that kind of day is just part of our past and not part of our future. I'm not sure how fast the body makes fat out of extra calories, but I think it might take more than a day. I've heard that carbs make you retain a bit of extra water, too, so it would make sense that you might gain a bit of weight (not fat) after a higher carb day.

It's important to discover what kind of diet makes you feel good. After years of trying to get away with high carb dieting that made me hungry and miserable, I finally tried high protein and lower carb. I'm astounded by how good I feel. It's such a relief to not have carb cravings pestering me all day.

The kind of diet that works for you depends on your own body's reaction to a particular balance of macros. But just looking at that day you described...it seems like you were somehow driven to eat things you know weren't the best. That doesn't sound like mere foolishness to me, it sounds like a physiological reaction to the sugar in that bunch of cookies. I know that's going to start a firestorm on here...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

This was what I thought most people did for IF (2-3 meals; maybe a snack). I asked because I was genuinely surprised/curious to read that 1 meal/day would be a common thing.

OMAD is a thing. Not as common as IF where 2-3 meals is more the norm. I actually ended up only having one meal yesterday but it was probably a bit lacking nutrients, I just didn't realise I'd be full the rest of the day! (Giant bowl of homemade dhal and chapatis)