Tonight I had the dumbest conversation with target staff

Options

Replies

• moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Nothing like almost purchasing overpriced expired groceries, makes me glad that I don't shop at Target.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I was at a small local grocery store and noticed that the sprouted wheat bread I buy was a day or so past the Sell By date. I brought it to the customer service desk to see if I could get a discount and she took it from me, put it out of my reach, and said they weren't allowed to sell it.

I'm just flabbergasted that someone could think Gluten-Free = Does Not Go Bad.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Something being past its Sell By date doesn't mean it has gone bad.

True. However, would you want to eat something almost a year past its Expiration date?

When I'm uncertain about something I look it up on http://stilltasty.com

I especially like it for leftovers.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    This wasn't what the post was about but please tell me you have a gluten allergy... So sick of people eating gluten free that don't have a health issue with it. GF bread is NOT better for you than regular bread. Save your money people! By the way, my wife has a gluten allergy so I'm not just saying this... I have literally seen people say "oh, I only eat gluten free" and when you say "so what IS gluten?" they have no clue! Just jumped on some bandwagon! So ignorant.

Yeah, but the trendy ones are making it easier for those with real issues (my wife) to find more choices. Maybe not cheaper choices, but more choices.

Exactly. Thanks to the trend there are so many more options than years ago.
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Contact Target headquarters. They'd probably love to know one of their stores is selling food expired for a year and employees laughing it off when a customer brings it to their attention.

I agree. That's insane. Trying to push expired food and lying to customers either out of ignorance or greed. It's worse than just an Udi's problem.

Honestly, I think she was just a moron.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    This wasn't what the post was about but please tell me you have a gluten allergy... So sick of people eating gluten free that don't have a health issue with it. GF bread is NOT better for you than regular bread. Save your money people! By the way, my wife has a gluten allergy so I'm not just saying this... I have literally seen people say "oh, I only eat gluten free" and when you say "so what IS gluten?" they have no clue! Just jumped on some bandwagon! So ignorant.

I'm pretty sure the OP does have a gluten allergy

Anyway, Elphie that's awful. I work at a superstore and last month my store director was talking about a complaint he got about something past the sell by date, and he discussed the different types of dates found. Our grocery (plus my department, as we handle baby food) tries to mark down anything that is near the date, no matter whether it's sell by or use by. Obviously some things get missed, but not by almost a year.

And I'm sure you and your coworkers at least know what year we are currently in lol.
  • elphie754
    Options
    @elphie754 I posted their corporate customer service number in my first comment. Not sure if you saw it or not. You may want to call and report this store so they can (hopefully) take care of their expired goods problem.

SW is better and more diplomatic about these things than I am (especially with the pregnancy hormones, so she is going to call when home from work.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Contact Target headquarters. They'd probably love to know one of their stores is selling food expired for a year and employees laughing it off when a customer brings it to their attention.

Plus, you will probably get coupons for free merchandise. I do this all the time when I have an issue with a product, and the companies are always very eager to please and retain me as a customer. I have also contacted companies to let them know when I am very pleased with their products and have also received coupons for free items a few times.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, if that were true, then why an expiration date? People are dumb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

To make it look pretty of course.... it's just a decoration lol.
    _JustLucy_ wrote: »
    Don't forget to take pictures if you go back to Target! the date, where they are stored and such

Good idea!
    moesis wrote: »
    Nothing like almost purchasing overpriced expired groceries, makes me glad that I don't shop at Target.

We really only use target for certain items and when we are in a bind (it's not even 10 minutes away). For major grocery shopping we leave the city and go to shoprite. It's hit or miss, but the one near us also has a decent gf section.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was at a small local grocery store and noticed that the sprouted wheat bread I buy was a day or so past the Sell By date. I brought it to the customer service desk to see if I could get a discount and she took it from me, put it out of my reach, and said they weren't allowed to sell it.

I'm just flabbergasted that someone could think Gluten-Free = Does Not Go Bad.

I'm really curious as to where they ever heard that.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Yeah, but the trendy ones are making it easier for those with real issues (my wife) to find more choices. Maybe not cheaper choices, but more choices.

This!! My husband is also celiac and it's all the people that are doing it for whatever reason that make it easier for me to shop. Products are better labeled and there is a lot more selection now. The more people who want to buy GF for whatever reason the better for me.

• elphie754
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »

This!! My husband is also celiac and it's all the people that are doing it for whatever reason that make it easier for me to shop. Products are better labeled and there is a lot more selection now. The more people who want to buy GF for whatever reason the better for me.

100% agree. The only thing that gets to me is products with Gf oat. Since I'm actually allergic to oat, I still have to read carefully, and worry about cross contamination with oat in the factory.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

100% agree. The only thing that gets to me is products with Gf oat. Since I'm actually allergic to oat, I still have to read carefully, and worry about cross contamination with oat in the factory.

My wife can't buy anything based on the front package labeling. She has some real food issues so she has to check for gluten, lactose, peanuts, potatoes and a few other things. She has to be careful with gluten free bread as a lot of it uses potato starch, which is worse for her. Hers is more an intolerance (stomach pain) than allergy (throat closing) so she can tolerate small amount from cross contamination, but we've had to stop going to a few places that offer gluten free meals because of it.

Not fun to drive home from a nice meal with a wife in pain.
  • HalynL
    HalynL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Something being past its Sell By date doesn't mean it has gone bad.

nipj67zigjne.gif

That Prince gif is the greatest thing ever.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My wife can't buy anything based on the front package labeling. She has some real food issues so she has to check for gluten, lactose, peanuts, potatoes and a few other things. She has to be careful with gluten free bread as a lot of it uses potato starch, which is worse for her. Hers is more an intolerance (stomach pain) than allergy (throat closing) so she can tolerate small amount from cross contamination, but we've had to stop going to a few places that offer gluten free meals because of it.

That is difficult. My husband's Dr had him cut dairy for a month and that was difficult for both of us (I do all the shopping and cooking). He still has some issues and may have to see an allergist to determine what besides gluten is causing the issues and I've heard stories of oats and corn allergies...but I really hope at this point it is just gluten. Multiple just seems so hard!!

• elphie754
    Options

Yeah, that's no fun at all.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    So I ended up calling the corporate office and had a great conversation with them, after he stop laughing. He goes- "wait? This isn't a prank call?". I was like nope!

Gave him the store address, store number, what register I was checked out at, and name of the person checking me out. I couldn't remember the mangers name.

He said that later this week they will send one of their "secret shoppers" to check things out. If there is more stuff that far expired or those products are back on the shelf, they will hold management accountable and make sure they understand food safety.

He apologized and because of my "troubles" is sending us a $100 target gift card. I told him we don't need or want it but he insisted.

Nice! Kudos to Target!
  • elphie754
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.

Tell that to the frozen baby mammoths!

Seriously, you're mistaken on this. Freezing to -18C (0F, which is the temperature of a home freezer) stops microbial activity and guarantees food safety indefinitely. What it doesn't stop is drying out and deteriorating due to enzyme activity.

So frozen food still deteriorates, but safely - it does not rot and it does not go bad. It just dries out and gets nasty, and possibly rancid in the case of fatty food - but rancidity is not dangerous, it just tastes bad.

If you don't believe me (and why would you? I'm just an Internet stranger) check out the USDA's word on the subject - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I made the mistake of cooking and eating chicken that I thought was safe because it was frozen-never again. Not I labelmwhen it goes in the freezer.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So I ended up calling the corporate office and had a great conversation with them, after he stop laughing. He goes- "wait? This isn't a prank call?". I was like nope!

Gave him the store address, store number, what register I was checked out at, and name of the person checking me out. I couldn't remember the mangers name.

He said that later this week they will send one of their "secret shoppers" to check things out. If there is more stuff that far expired or those products are back on the shelf, they will hold management accountable and make sure they understand food safety.

He apologized and because of my "troubles" is sending us a $100 target gift card. I told him we don't need or want it but he insisted.

I love seeing this! Way to go, Target!!