What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Anything with a high fat content (oils, nuts, nut butters etc).
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    There are these organic rice cakes that i adore. Has a little chocolate that satisfys my chocolate craving. About 6 little disks are 110 cals. Considering i could easily eat the whole bag and they're far from filling it hits my cal goals in a bad way. Nuts are outrageous too... my cashews are 190 cals
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Definitely nuts. When I weighed them instead of measuring them, YIKES. I could easily eat my entire deficit in a handful.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    OJ - 140 calories in 10 ounces. Surprised me.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    McAlister's pick 2 French Dip sandwich!!! I take my son to dinner every Wednesday and I looked up their salads, soups, half sandwiches(pick 2) and their French Dip sandwich had the best macros. It had less fat then almost all other sandwiches and had the most protein!

330 cals, 9 g fat, 28 g carbs, 32 g protein
  • haileydawn91
    haileydawn91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alcohol! I didn't realize how many calories it had... Wow! And it just makes me want to eat more food. :neutral:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

Something is wrong with this calculation....
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake. It seems to be a 100% efficient calorie vehicle; can go as high as 1600 calories per (restaurant-sized) serving.

OMG The first time I looked up a Cheesecake Factory slice, I almost DIED. Their anniversary cheesecake was over 2000 for one slice!
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Those personal microwave chocolate cakes in a mug. Over EIGHT HUNDRED CALORIES! Lucky I tallied all the cals up only halfway through eating it, and I just threw the rest away. Won't be making them again!

I made this a bit ago and it was just as good as the bigger ones and far less calories.
    http://www.confessionsofafitnessinstructor.com/2011/09/eggless-microwave-brownies/?hc_location=ufi
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What I still don't understand is why I can make a ham salad sandwich for about 280 calories but if I go and buy one ready made in a shop they come in at 450+ calories - how much spread and fat are they putting in there :O
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cinnabon was a heartbreaker :'(
    Peanut butter (I think I still lie to myself about portion size there)
    Nutella...

It actually surprised me how few calories marshmallows have! Seeing as they're basically just puffed up sugar, I can have one or two and be satisfied (as opposed to other sweets where I'll eat the whole bag)
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me I guess it wasn't just one food that shocked me but the mass amounts of calories I was eating on the daily. When I first logged with MFP I about pooped my pants when I saw the total number for one day...no wonder I'm "morbidly obese"!!!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Not really calories but I was shocked the first time I weighed out a true serving of cereal & seeing how tiny it actually was. I was used to eating a Jethro bowl of cereal.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Strawberries are not 200 calories per cup.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    mumfy23 wrote: »

Strawberries are not 200 calories per cup.

I find it pretty funny that this was posted four years ago and people are STILL correcting it. :D

For me, I've been at this for years so very little shocks me at this point. But back when I first started out, FLATBREAD (Pita, tortillas, the lot). It looks so small compared to yeast breads like hamburger buns, sliced loaves, etc., which I had no trouble believing when I looked up the calorie info for them. Before I got myself a food scale I actually refused to believe the numbers in the database for pita bread and told myself that the different users who entered "1 pita = 150/175/200" were all just eating monster pitas the size of pizzas or something. I logged mine as 80 calories each for months. THEN, I got a scale. My pita bread turned out to be... 270 calories per piece. I was floored!
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Some-Like-it-Hott-Artisan-Paprikas-Made-in-Small-Batches-332117633470918/
    WadeLam wrote: »
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!

Smoked Paprika will change your life.

Are you for serious?! SMOKED paprika?! I need to sit down...

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    DaveHuby wrote: »
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

I was actually shocked by how little was in the chorizo I buy - so much, much, much leaner than the polish sausage I might otherwise use in soup or rice dishes.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    SRH7 wrote: »
    cranberry juice has the same calories pretty much as coca cola

Good call.

I also hate the myth that cranberry juice can help with cystitis/kidney infections - it is so loaded with sugar to make it palatable that it is just about the worst thing you can use and it will actually aggravate it.

also- aside from 1 or 2 brands that you'd have to buy in the organic aisle, "cranberry juice" is not actually cranberry juice - the stuff in the regular juice aisle is all apple juice with some cranberry juice added. Doesn't taste remotely as yummy as the real stuff.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Creme brulee at Bonefish Grill. One night I ate fish and veggies that I had looked up on MFP and was proud that I'd stayed under 400 calories for a very NICE restaurant dinner...then decided to splurge on the Creme Brulee. Looked it up after dinner. 900 calories.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    Cheesecake. It seems to be a 100% efficient calorie vehicle; can go as high as 1600 calories per (restaurant-sized) serving.

OMG The first time I looked up a Cheesecake Factory slice, I almost DIED. Their anniversary cheesecake was over 2000 for one slice!

I'm with you on the restaurant desserts. Many of them are >1200 calories. I knew they were bad, just not that bad.