Food items that are bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    Anything processed is bad for you, however delicious... lol If you're trying to go low carb then stay away from most fruit... Stick to berries...

Has the whole word lost its common sense?

Because it's Friday:

https://youtu.be/kN2yZ1Ns_Dc
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Like ndj1979 says, it's the sugar. I was heart broken - I love apples. But, since I quit eating them (and lowered my sugar / carb intake overall) I have lost weight.

I think you have me confused with someone..

there is nothing wrong with the sugar in an apple...

you lose weight because you replaced calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and created a calorie deficit.

This literally made me LOL that someone would attribute that concept to you.

i must be doing something wrong...
  • JosieMay100
    JosieMay100 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    The only time an apple is horrible for you is if someone launches one into your face!

Ive been laughing at a good 10 minutes over this
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm reminded me of a post I made almost exactly a year ago in this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
    This puts me in mind of an old Star Trek; The Next Generation episode. The episode, "Thine Own Self", was aired in 1994. The dietary zeitgeist of the time poked its head in:

According to tor.com:
    On Barkon, Garvin takes Data to a physician named Talur, who theorizes that he’s an “iceman,” a person from the snowy regions of the mountains (where no one has ever been, but there are stories). She diagnoses him with malnutrition and tells him to eat some meat, butter, and cheese and she’ll check back tomorrow.

Get it? The joke is that these were backwards peasants who would recommend the totally wrong foods. The doctor couldn't tell that he was an android! Everyone knew back in 1994 that you need to eat ten servings of whole grains, along with lots of fruits and vegetables, and avoid fat, to be healthy. What a silly backward recommendation that doctor made!

Yet here we are, 2 decades later, putting butter in our coffee and throwing coconut oil into everything.

Is it any wonder I question what "healthy" foods are?

Here we are a year later, claiming that apples are "unhealthy" because sugar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Like ndj1979 says, it's the sugar. I was heart broken - I love apples. But, since I quit eating them (and lowered my sugar / carb intake overall) I have lost weight.

you lose weight because you replaced calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and created a calorie deficit.

I think she was referring to your post at the bottom of page 1:
    you realize that the sugar in the apple is the same as the sugar in that granola bar, right?

And misunderstood what you meant.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Phew! I'm glad that I don't like apples. Now if it was oranges, I'd have some issues.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I think she was referring to your post at the bottom of page 1:
    you realize that the sugar in the apple is the same as the sugar in that granola bar, right?

And misunderstood what you meant.

that could be it...
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone compaire an apple to a doughnut or pizza slice lol is this a real thread?! Or is this done by a troll? At the end of the day you CAN work a pizzaslice into your calories AND macros if done properly, but its WAAAAAAAAAY easier to add an apple into both catagories lol

pizza is fat, proteins, and carbs, how is that hard to add into macros? macros are minimums not maximums...

I didnt say it was lol if you can fit it in, then do it lol I did it yesterday...not everyone can though depending on what they ate for breakfast, snacks, if they worked out to have extra cals to eat back...there are other things to consider :P I'd really like to point out that I didbt once state it was hard to add pizzato your day lol

you said it is easier to add an apple to your macros, and I pointed out that it is just as easy to meet your macros with pizza...

Well....sometimes it is lol I know with what I have listed to eat today it's easier to add an apple than a slice of pizza. I also stated if it works then do it, I don't know why you continue to argue this with me :P

not arguing, pointing out the shortfall in your statement...

Hahahaha
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm totally going to tell everyone that ndj has become anti-sugar.

NDJ = No Dextrose, Jack

And I'm going to sign him up for a low carb newsletter.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm totally going to tell everyone that ndj has become anti-sugar.

NDJ = No Dextrose, Jack

And I'm going to sign him up for a low carb newsletter.

pfff low carb, I am going Keto ...!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess its for a specific medical reason. Apples are bad for ME because they cause hives. But not for people who aren't allergic. There are other plant based foods I need to limit because of kidney stones. But those who don't get the same kind don't have to worry.

My guess would be something like prediabetes. Your body reacts to every sugar in similar ways.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    A deep-fried apple turnover served aside an applewood smoked ham covered in apple glaze and fried apple slices might be pushing it if you don't have enough calories for the day. Or, you could just cut out the apple walnut cake with apple ganache and apple Schnapps for dessert.

Maybe still drink the Schnapps (1 oz of Dekuyper Sour Apple Pucker Schnapps on has 72 calories, unless you go big, then it's 1,300 for the bottle)... :D

wysyhrie4wcs.gif