College/University OFFICIAL WEIGHT LOSS HELP THREAD

Options

Replies

• wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I've been looking for some fellow college students on here. Everyone on this thread, feel free to add me!

I set up my schedule so that my first class every day is at 10 am. I'm planning on getting up at 8 and exercising before class. Also, I don't have any evening classes, so I'm going to try and get an after-dinner workout in when I can. I have a couple tv shows that I'm planning on watching while I speed walk on the treadmill, and then run on commercials. :)

I've noticed I do a better workout on the elliptical trainer when I'm watching an interesting tv show. Otherwise, I get tired too early lol.
    I bring you guys all another question. We all know we all have different majors and that not everyone's schedule will be the same but do you ever plan a strategy on how to set up your classes so that you can get a workout in during the day?

Fortunately all my classes are between 7am-1pm, so I can workout at afternoon, except for wednesdays, when I have classes all day long, so I'll call it my rest day. The problem is when I have to work with a classmate, and I spend all the afternoon at the school's studio.

I forgot to mention I'm an architecture student, of a college you haven't heard about cause I'm from Colombia :)
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This thread is great! The freshmen 15 is what originally brought me to MFP in the first place! I'm going into my sophomore year at Boston University major: Health Sciences. Definitely need to put more effort in walking to class rather than taking the bus, and actually using the great gym we have on campus. Oh yeah and I need to steer clear of the French fries in the dining hall!!
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    In in in! About to start my last year at UT, so bitter sweet. Working to get back to my pre-college weight right now!

Toledo? I'm at Bowling Green!

I scheduled my classes but since I'm so far in my degree my schedule is pretty nice. My one friend and I have already devised a workout plan! :)
  • musicmanomar
    Options
    You know maybe some people on MFP on this thread go to the same college. Perhaps if that's the case you can pair up and work out together! That's what I am doing!
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Yeeeeeeees! I'm starting my first year of university, and I want to avoid the freshman 15!!! :) this is exactly what i need! motivation in case i feel like giving up!
  • brizzle125
    brizzle125 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'll be a sophmore at Seton Hall University. I gained the freshman 15 plus an extra 5 pds since school started. I'm not letting that happen again this year
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This thread is great! The freshmen 15 is what originally brought me to MFP in the first place! I'm going into my sophomore year at Boston University major: Health Sciences. Definitely need to put more effort in walking to class rather than taking the bus, and actually using the great gym we have on campus. Oh yeah and I need to steer clear of the French fries in the dining hall!!

What area of health science are you planning to go into? My associates is in allied health and my bachelors is exercise science. Both are leading up to my eventual doctorate in physical therapy, but I have a lot of people in my classes who are focused on other areas of medicine and health science too. We may end up having a lot of common class themes.
  • pineappleartist
    pineappleartist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I'll be a junior at Carnegie Mellon and I've gained the freshmen 10 over 2 years :( losing weight is bas enough as it is, but now I have 10 more pounds to shed. Looking forward to starting next semester with a healthier outook. Finals week is the true test though!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a really great thread!! WELLL, this is my senior year at Mississippi College, yep that's right MISSISSIPPI. lol, I gained a lot of weight after my freshman year so I want to rid myself of it by the time I graduate next August! I just found out the school has a practice track that's open til like 12 at night so whenever my day is done I plan on hitting it up. Eating is pretty easy since I will be staying in the campus apartments and get to cook for myself. I'm excited, I will be one less obese person in Mississippi, that's a great start in ridding them as the fattest state :-) I'm a kinesiology (pre-physical therapy) major with a minor in health and psychology.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a really great thread!! WELLL, this is my senior year at Mississippi College, yep that's right MISSISSIPPI. lol, I gained a lot of weight after my freshman year so I want to rid myself of it by the time I graduate next August! I just found out the school has a practice track that's open til like 12 at night so whenever my day is done I plan on hitting it up. Eating is pretty easy since I will be staying in the campus apartments and get to cook for myself. I'm excited, I will be one less obese person in Mississippi, that's a great start in ridding them as the fattest state :-) I'm a kinesiology (pre-physical therapy) major with a minor in health and psychology.

Where are you planning to go to PT school? I graduate with my BSEP in May and will be starting either Florida State, University of South Florida, or University of St. Augustine in the fall of next year headed toward the DPT.
  • babynae623
    babynae623 Posts: 15
    Options
    Fayetteville State University
    English Language and Literature with a minor is Speech-Theatre
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm going into my junior year at Harvard. I managed to successfully lose weight last fall, since I didn't have morning classes Tuesday-Thursday, giving me time to run. I gained it back over winter break (spent in Europe) and spring semester since I didn't have time to exercise as much (bad weather, chem lab) but I'm going to plan my classes around exercise this semester!
  • ashleysn1derland
    Options
    This is awesome! I'm going into my sophomore year at UC Irvine where I am studying theatre. I joined because MFP because I also need to lose the Freshman 15 and the 15 I gained while I was in England for a month last summer!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Where are you planning to go to PT school? I graduate with my BSEP in May and will be starting either Florida State, University of South Florida, or University of St. Augustine in the fall of next year headed toward the DPT.
    [/quote]

CONGRATS!!! aren't u excited?!?! it's between pt school or nursing school! i have this thought of using my kines n nursing degree and being a osteopathic nurse practitioner!! Cool huh?! lol I'm just going with the flow right now, but changing my major to Kines made me realize I need to get in shape and gave me the guidelines to do it :-) i'm excited!!
  • katrina258
    Options
    Love this thread ;D I'm at Boston University, majoring in Dietetics. I'm careful about my diet, and this site was perfect to keep my sweet tooth in check :) Any questions about food? Add me!

If you guys are looking for a cardio workout, Couch to 5k is definitely the best! It's an interval fartlek method- check out www.c25k.com. There's also an aweeesome iphone/ipod app that you can download. I'm on week 3 and I've seen my running improve already.

Enjoy your summers everyone!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I'm kind of curious about the couch to 5k. I hate running but I may give it a try.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Great thread idea! Can I join in? I'm going into my second year this fall, and I gained a small amount of weight during my first year (not quite a freshman 15 though!) I want to lose 15-20 more pounds and need some healthier eating habits while in school. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I've been looking for some people who are close to my age! :smile:
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am a non-traditional student going back to school full time. This summer semester is my first one being full time in about 6 years. My school is still considered a "community college" so there isn't on-campus housing but my apartment is 0.2 miles from campus so I come home to eat. This fall I will be entering my junior year and will have my associates in 2 weeks! I am lucky that one of the few bachelors degrees that my school offers is the one I was going to transfer to a big university for but thankfully can stay at my small school with small school tuition. :smile:

Gainesville State College
    B.S. Environmental Spatial Analysis & GIS certification
  • fozziewaca
    fozziewaca Posts: 66
    Options
    Love this thread!

I'm a non-traditional student starting my 3rd year after a 10 year break. I was surprised at how hard it was to eat healthier on campus!

Jennifer
    Auburn University Montgomery
    History