The age old "You can't target areas of fat, lifting" BS!

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Gotcha. Still seems weird that the fat disappeared from his shoulders and no where else while replacing fat in that area with muscle while staying the same weight. Too see striations on one body part and no where else is weird. I personally have striations in different places while maintaining my 2 pak. My fat is mostly in the belly with a thin layer all over while being considered obese with a BMI of 30. I am 6'3 255 lbs,

You've already been given some explanations that seem way less weird than "All the scientists in the world are pulling the wool over our eyes, and it's only the people of MFP that know the truth."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time and am kinda confused or doubtful about the conclusions. Why can't you target a certain area and reduce the fat in that area lifting?

My answer is, I call BS on that.

So how about you come up with some evidence for otherwise?

Repeatable, peer reviewed. Not anecdata.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Okay,okay, it just seems weird to see striations on someone that over weight.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If hes your brother why dont you post a photo so that we can also see how weird it is?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. Still seems weird that the fat disappeared from his shoulders and no where else while replacing fat in that area with muscle while staying the same weight. Too see striations on one body part and no where else is weird. I personally have striations in different places while maintaining my 2 pak. My fat is mostly in the belly with a thin layer all over while being considered obese with a BMI of 30. I am 6'3 255 lbs,

Are you familiar with recomposition?
    3 years ago I weighed 180 lbs, today I weigh 180 lbs. I have gained a significant amount of muscle and lost quite a bit of body fat. The concept seems kind of strange - to stay the same weight and have muscle and fat change, but yeah, it can happen.

The girl I mentioned with 15% body fat almost has visible upper abs if she really flexes, but her legs have no definition whatsoever. None, nada. It's weird, but people carry their weight differently and lose it differently as well.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

Are you familiar with recomposition?
    3 years ago I weighed 180 lbs, today I weigh 180 lbs. I have gained a significant amount of muscle and lost quite a bit of body fat. The concept seems kind of strange - to stay the same weight and have muscle and fat change, but yeah, it can happen.

The girl I mentioned with 15% body fat almost has visible upper abs if she really flexes, but her legs have no definition whatsoever. None, nada. It's weird, but people carry their weight differently and lose it differently as well.

I get it now. Just kinda odd. I understand the re-composition part.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    If hes your brother why dont you post a photo so that we can also see how weird it is?

I don't have a pic of it. Not doubting everyone, I get it. It's just he started cutting his fat in the shoulder first. Probably where he had the least amount. I'm proud of him, we're older and don't do that much cardio anymore. Except for his cardio benching we do, breaking a sweat and out of breath.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Cardio really has nothing to do with it...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wait! Did you say calves aren't a major muscle group?
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So, I think the problem is that you can make the muscle larger, but if you still have a lot of fat on top of the muscle, it's not going to magically disappear. When I started losing weight, it's amazing how much more muscular I "suddenly became." It was like magic! The thing is, I had been lifting weights for a long time but was never very skinny, so you couldn't tell.

So now that I'm thinner, when I work out particular muscle groups (like my core), they really stand out! So it's almost like the fat in that area just "went away."
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @Z_I_L_L_A serious question, how much fat do you actually see on people shoulders?

When I was overweight, with a big set of moobs and a beer gut. One thing I didn't think about when I looked at myself in the mirror was the amount of fat that I was carrying on my shoulders.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    So, you worked out with "a guy," that now happens to be your brother, that does 75-rep sets of 135 on bench?

Yes, I do believe BS is in the air.

I put BS in the topic because had I not, there wouldn't be this much response. But as for BS on him being my brother, it was because a question about genetics or if you doubt he is strong then I wonder why. I must have touched on a nerve or something. You doubt 75 rep because you power lift? Yeah I did it for twelve years and....

Honestly, at those rep counts, he'd be better off doing pushups, unless there's a reason he can't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    BishopLord wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    The great thing about factual information is our beliefs have no bearing on their truth.

What is the "fact" based on? How was it proved?

Based on the fact that when you get rid of body fat through working out, it comes from all over the body, not just a specific area. For example, say you only did recumbent bike for 30 minutes a day. Sure, your legs will get firmer, but you're still using other muscles, and your body temperature has risen, resulting in fat melting away not only in your legs, but your glutes, abs, chest, back, and lastly the arms.

I know the theory. But what proof is there that different exercises don't cause more fat from certain areas to be used? It's the proof I'm interested in. Genuinely interested.
    If it makes you feel better, there was a study done in 2007 where if one did 120 minutes of leg extensions continually, they can loose about .007 ounces of fat on their quad. So there is proof it can be done. It's just not that efficient versus just eating a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Tam4714
    Tam4714 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also worth pointing out that the theory doesn't say fat is lost equally across the body. It says you can't really CONTROL which areas lose.

I will have the legs and butt of a 22 year old in 4 to 6 weeks because that's where fat comes off first on me, no matter what workout I use. Eventually, my arms and back will get with the program as well and "tone up".

Unfortunately, my stomach and my chin have remained middle aged and jiggly even with plenty of hard work and losing more than 25lbs the last time around. The only thing that ever changes that (for me) is full body recomp through heavy lifting and macro adjustments.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this: if one could actually target losing significant fat from an area on the body with exercise, then there should be NO COMPETING BODYBUILDER on stage with any fat deposit where they don't want them. Of course that's not the case and they spend more time exercising body parts than anyone.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'll just say this: if one could actually target losing significant fat from an area on the body with exercise, then there should be NO COMPETING BODYBUILDER on stage with any fat deposit where they don't want them. Of course that's not the case and they spend more time exercising body parts than anyone.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exactly. If it could be done, people would do it. Especially competitive bodybuilders.
    I was just watching a video by Paul Revelia talking about the different places competitors hold fat and how to lose it, no mention of doing a million crunches to bring the abs in. hmm...
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Show me 1 person who was able to eliminate just their stomach fat doing crunches, sit ups, etc while the rest of their body remained fat. I've never seen it!!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Me neither, like I said early. I get it..
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Okay,okay, it just seems weird to see striations on someone that over weight.

A high school friend came out to visit me a few years ago, in the summer. I took her hiking. She wore toe shoes. We had to hike across a mile or two of snow leading up to Cascade Pass. She thought it seemed really weird that there was snow on the ground in July or August. But there it was. And her toes got really cold because of it.