10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Love seeing everyone's totals and that article had me laughing out loud-good to see we're not the only crazy ones attempting this lol!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Ended up on 1212, assuming I don't eat anything more. My beetroot had seen better days so I had to skip that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    @French_Peasant that looks amazing

Off to read the article
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    New here - I hope it's OK if I join (and join late, at that). Here's my fruit and vegetable count for today:
    85g braised leeks (with chicken)
    200g tomato braised cauliflower
    150g roasted brussels sprouts
    155g gala apple
    180g black beans with onions, celery, and peppers
    225 g of crudites (grape tomatoes, celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, sugar snap pea pods, baby carrots)

If I estimated correctly and my math is right, that's 995g. The serving of black beans was a little on the large side, so maybe it should have counted for less than 180g.

I cook most of my own food at home on the weekend, in batches, then divide it into individual portions and refrigerate or freeze it. It's a lot of work all at once, but it saves time during the week.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    That article is great.
    I couldn't stop laughing at the "We'll all end up dead from methane inhalation" :D
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    New here - I hope it's OK if I join (and join late, at that). Here's my fruit and vegetable count for today:
    155g gala apple
    225 g of crudites (grape tomatoes, celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, sugar snap pea pods, baby carrots)

If I estimated correctly and my math is right, that's 995g. The serving of black beans was a little on the large side, so maybe it should have counted for less than 180g.

I cook most of my own food at home on the weekend, in batches, then divide it into individual portions and refrigerate or freeze it. It's a lot of work all at once, but it saves time during the week.

Bad news is that you can only count 80g of your black beans.

Good news is you still smashed target, well done! :smiley:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

This had me rolling! God bless his heart. He really went about it in an odd way, but he really did do well.

Felicity killed me. Paraphrased: "You're not supposed to eat so much fruit because of the sugar!" At least this guy is eating fruit. Give him a break, okay?
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    155g gala apple

Glad you're joining in!

• crzycatlady1
    Options
    My daily weigh-in put me at a pound loss this morning, from my low point last week. I've been very casually in a deficit for the past few weeks to get my maintenance range a bit lower, but I've been seeing few ounces-.5lb loss per week. To see a whole pound drop was unexpected! Anyone else seeing unexpected numbers on the scale?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The increase in potassium can create a water weight loss because it helps flush out sodium which causes water retention in some people or at high levels. Also maybe the better movement of bowels may show up on the scale. While I have always eaten a lot of vegetables I have been slacking the past couple of weeks up until I joined this thread. I did see a little drop where I had gained the usual PMS water weight. The other good side effect is less hunger because all that fruit and veggie consumption is taking up all the room.

Another thing, take a photo of your face. Then in a few weeks take another and compare them, I have a friend who mentioned that her appearance had improved after she changed her lifestyle. Under eye bags, circles, bloated face, a general tired appearance etc... You may see a difference in these things.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

This had me rolling! God bless his heart. He really went about it in an odd way, but he really did do well.

Felicity killed me. Paraphrased: "You're not supposed to eat so much fruit because of the sugar!" At least this guy is eating fruit. Give him a break, okay?

Right? Maybe he could use the digestive boost. I bet it cleaned him out good!

That being said I did dream about this thread last night! I was making beans and cursing the fact that no matter how many I ate it would only count as one serving!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been having 450 grams with lunch, and then the rest throughout the day. So far so good.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Totally failed yesterday! Had <500 grams of fruits and vegetables. This challenge is eye opening! Stepping up my game.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Not really a challenge for me, i usually eat loads of fruit and vegies... But today and yesterday I ate the same:

200g zucchini
    150g mushrooms
    100g broccoli
    50g zucchini
    300g cos lettuce
    100g tomato
    100g cucumber
    100g celery
    100g Beetroot
    100g capsicum
    50g alfalfa
    50g avocado
    150g pumpkin
    100g sweet potato
    150g berries

1.8kgs...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I had celery and carrots with lunch and my teeth are killing me. I'm too lazy to cook them. There are mushy/soft, raw veggies out there, right?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I had celery and carrots with lunch and my teeth are killing me. I'm too lazy to cook them. There are mushy/soft, raw veggies out there, right?

Zucchini noodles.
    Tomato
    Mushrooms
    Try grating the carrot.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not really a challenge for me, i usually eat loads of fruit and vegies... But today and yesterday I ate the same:

200g zucchini
    150g mushrooms
    100g broccoli
    50g zucchini
    300g cos lettuce
    100g tomato
    100g cucumber
    100g celery
    100g Beetroot
    100g capsicum
    50g alfalfa
    50g avocado
    150g pumpkin
    100g sweet potato
    150g berries

1.8kgs...

Dang! You're like the Yoda of veggie and fruit consumption :D
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Avocado/guac counts, although technically it is a fruit, I always lump it in my head with veg.

Not sure how soft it would make veggies, it probably wouldn't put a dent in the carrots, but hot bacon grease and vinegar can cure a multitude of vegetative sins: http://www.food.com/recipe/german-spinach-salad-with-hot-bacon-dressing-304636
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    The increase in potassium can create a water weight loss because it helps flush out sodium which causes water retention in some people or at high levels. Also maybe the better movement of bowels may show up on the scale. While I have always eaten a lot of vegetables I have been slacking the past couple of weeks up until I joined this thread. I did see a little drop where I had gained the usual PMS water weight. The other good side effect is less hunger because all that fruit and veggie consumption is taking up all the room.

Another thing, take a photo of your face. Then in a few weeks take another and compare them, I have a friend who mentioned that her appearance had improved after she changed her lifestyle. Under eye bags, circles, bloated face, a general tired appearance etc... You may see a difference in these things.

Ah, good to know about the potassium! And good idea to do a picture-I'm planning on keeping at this after Friday (probably weekdays), so it will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference :)
    Options

One way you can solve this is by slicing them thin or cutting them into matchsticks. This takes a considerable amount of chewing effort off.