People who DON'T need to lose weight-- discouraging?

Options
124»

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone is here for their own reasons. Mind your own business if you disagree with them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I understand what can be discouraging about it. I myself am obese and I do get a little upset when people who are very thin complain about losing 5-10 pounds. I agree that this site is public and anyone can be a member....but they just dont understand what it feels like to be 150-200 pounds over weight and yes it can be very discouraging. Just focus on what you are here for and make friends with common issues and interests.

How do you know they don't understand? How do you know they didn't already lose 150 pounds and have 5-10 pounds left to go? The last 5 are much more difficult than the first 100.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    WTF? I am a size 2 and still would like to lose a little weight and track my diet/nutrients/fitness, etc... Is there anything wrong with that? NO. I also really enjoy the community. This is NOT a site to just help with weight loss and not only a site for overweight/overfat people.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Find friends with similar goals as you and quit judging everyone else. Do you have any idea how hard it is for a person with a normal BMI to lose weight?? To work so hard for months and not see a change in the scale and to somehow still stick with it? So quit being a judgmental b**** and think about how it feels when people do that to you.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    Find friends with similar goals as you and quit judging everyone else. Do you have any idea how hard it is for a person with a normal BMI to lose weight?? To work so hard for months and not see a change in the scale and to somehow still stick with it? So quit being a judgmental b**** and think about how it feels when people do that to you.

PREACH!
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow. sorry to burst your bubble, but this is My FITNESS Pal. Not My Fatness Pal. People of all shapes and sizes are welcome here to record their food and exercise intake and reach whatever goal they may have, be it losing 100lbs or winning a race or competing in bodybuilding.

It could be also that those taking part in this website may be models or public figures who have to maintain a certain weight limit.
  • bsimons1
    bsimons1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with most of the views expressed here opposing the attitude of the OP. This site is a welcome place for people to manage all aspects of their fitness. If its .10 lbs or 100 you want to lose everyone deals with it differently. I hope this site remains a welcome encouraging venue to help people with their journey
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    YO! I SERIOUSLY WANT TO KNOW IF YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT A LONG WAY TO GO?
    because honestly its just as hard for me and every other man girl boy and women with a healthy BMI to lose weight

god sake women.

IM SO PASSINOTE ABOUT THIS AND STICKING UP FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE ISSUES!
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    this is a free site. if you want it to be only very overweight people you should probably find another outlet for that. we all have our issues/goals. and while i can see how that might be discouraging, its not productive to only be with people who have dealt with things the same way you have you're whole life either...you learn from people who are different from you. and many times "thin" people and heavy people both have the same issues around food and health, but have manifested it differently behaviorally over the years. just as you would not want to be judged for being overweight you shouldnt judge someone for being thin or thinnish because you do not know their problems and you should try to encourage them to have healthy goals with you.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I understand what can be discouraging about it. I myself am obese and I do get a little upset when people who are very thin complain about losing 5-10 pounds. I agree that this site is public and anyone can be a member....but they just dont understand what it feels like to be 150-200 pounds over weight and yes it can be very discouraging. Just focus on what you are here for and make friends with common issues and interests.

They may understand what it is like to be 150-200 lbs over weight though......

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE COMING THROUGH... let the MFP hate begin, but this should be addressed...

I don't know if you guys have ever used a website called "Tumblr," but it's FULL of these things called "thinspo" blogs - which is THINspiration blogs. Most of these girls (usually anywhere from 13-16) STARTING weights - yes, STARTING weights - are 90-140 pounds. A lot of them are in dangerous territory. They don't eat, and when they do they post about how disappointed they are when they decide to eat something. First of all, their bodies haven't even developed fully yet, second of all, not eating could cause stunt growth in the body & illness & possibly even death via starvation. These diseases are serious problems, and sometimes I see these same "thinspo" girls on MFP because they do want to LOSE weight. It's clearly stated in their profiles that they've come here for weight LOSS. Scary, no? These could be your sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews we're talking about here. Wouldn't you be a LITTLE concerned for their well-being?

These types of people (and I'm not saying ALL thin people that use MFP actually DO this, but there is a good portion of teens that tend to) are discouraging TO ME because, and AGAIN this is how I personally think...
    If they're 16 years old, 115 pounds and STILL think they're fat... I must look like a complete whale at 185 pounds... especially to these girls posting these pictures of skin & bones - quite literally, their inspiration are pictures of women who are nothing more than skin & bones. It's like looking at Holocaust victims for crying out loud. It's scary.

To the original poster:
    I can understand why you originally posted this topic. It gets frustrating because you just wish that you were in their shoes & fitting into their clothes at their size. I get that 100%, because sometimes I get a little frustrated because I couldn't even fit my right butt cheek into their jeans.

You just have to turn the other cheek, unfortunately. I know it's one of the hardest & most frustrating things in the world, but you have to. They're going to do what they do & they're going to be here regardless, just like YOU'RE here & YOU'RE going to be here regardless. Everyone has the right because, like people have said, it's a free site. Just keep focusing on you & find people who have the same interests & similar goals. Friend those people because they're the people that are going to help you through your journey. <3

ETA: I've added some things in the last 2 paragraphs & switched some things around to make my point a little clearer, just in case. Everyone have a good night!
  • daryna13
    daryna13 Posts: 30
    Options
    I completely don't agree with this - not only is being concerned about your health something that should be encouraged in everyone, but a lot of the people you bash for trying to work off "some extra pasta" are struggling with issues that go a lot deeper than that, and need willpower, support and motivation just like those with a lot to lose. To each their own - if MFP helps them, I really, genuinely don't see a problem.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    YO! I SERIOUSLY WANT TO KNOW IF YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT A LONG WAY TO GO?
    THIS COMMENT. THIS COMMENT RIGHT HERE: This is uncalled for.
    You're seriously going to go there?
    We're having a discussion. Don't sling words around like that, ok?
  • prettyash76
    prettyash76 Posts: 117
    Options
    Just because someone is thin does not mean they are in shape or in bad health. Thin people need to eat healthy also because if not they can become overweight. Prevention is the best method and if i knew what i know now when i lost weight and was thin years ago i would have been on here too. When i become thin im going to stay on here.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would love to be a size 2 again...if I had been involved in a support group like this when I was a size 2 then I probably wouldn't be a size 10 now! My parents never stressed FITNESS only being small and since I was naturally skinny growing up they never made me be active; I am paying for that now! Trying to get in shape at 32 is hard when I have never been active; now I am not only trying to get in better physical condition but trying to lose weight from having my daughter as well.

You never know what battles someone else might be facing so it is better to keep unkind comments to yourself sometimes just because you don't think other people can relate to your personal battle. I wish you luck in your journey, it is not easy for any of us; whether we are 5 pounds or 500 pounds from our goal.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Maybe I misread the OP's intent, but I don't think I did. I think she was referring more to people who truly seem to have an unhealthy obsession with thiness. For example, I read a thread where the person's goal was 85-90 pounds and to have "no muscle because it doesn't look good on me." I've also seen posts where people say they are eating between 5 and 7 hundred calories a day. I think this is more the people that the OP referred to.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    This thread will, of course, remain locked. I am going to leave it up, as I believe some good points were made and may help everyone understand eachother. However, I want to point out a couple of things first.

MFP is for everyone, at any weight, at any point in the process of getting healthy. MFP does NOT discourage those who are trying to maintain, gain weight or lose more weight. MFP also welcomes those with eating disorders - obviously, we hope they are working on getting healthy and hope everyone will offer support to them too. While it can be upsetting to see someone struggling with an ED, if the support and information on MFP can help anyone turn the corner then it is worth it.

That said, please remember to always voice your opinions respectfully and follow forum rules.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation - and remember we're all here for support in reaching our goals.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.