WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,823 Member
    Lisa! - So glad to hear from you! I hope your coworker appreciates the advice you have given her. I think many people go into GB thinking it is a instant fix. Every one I have ever known who has had it, will attest to how hard it is to stick with the meal plans and get into the habit of exercising regularly. I think your meal plan looks good. I love the flexibility of protein shakes. Good for you and you are one of my inspirations as a woman who is navigating work, home, and health! B)
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    My Feb goals were:
    Mind - frugal mindset; spend my money on necessities, not frivolous items (I met with the most success here, 75% and none of the frivolous purchases were junk food related - a big victory for me. 21 of 28 days)
    Body - active body; at least 15 minutes of deliberate physical activity each day (I averaged 15 minutes a day over the course of the month, because when I exercised it was for 30 minutes or more- 30% successful. 9 of 28 days)
    Spirit - prayerful spirit; connect with higher power each day (I'm sad to say that I had only 50% success rate. 15 of 28 days)

Same goals for March and I hope to significantly increase those percentages!
    queene in PA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited March 2017
    Lisa - Where are your fruit and vegetables? (I sound like your mother!) I know you hate veg, but it really makes sense to eat your 5 a day for gut health and to fill you up for fewer calories. Could you make tasty veg soups or shakes? Yesterday I made roasted butternut squash, onions and garlic, blended with chicken stock, half a can of tomatoes and a small tin of butter beans. Seasoned it with pomegranate syrup, which gives it a lovely tang. That did us both for two lunches.
    Your shake could be a blend of fruit and veg, like cucumber, etc.
    I can't imagine my life without veg. I eat hardly any simple carbs, so I fill up on veg. Luckily I love them, but with the GS you might need to find an easier way of slipping them through.
    You know I love you. :D<3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Becca ~ I like to eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. Today I had a bowl of lean beef & chicken vegetable soup and 1/2 a corn muffin. Yummy.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Sharon, when I changed my way of eating, I found that it was best to say nothing about it to anyone. It was amazing how defensive people got when I told them what I eat and what I don't so now I say nothing, My husband and I frequently have days of "find it and fix it" when we are each responsible for our own meals. I make sure that there are foods in the house that he likes so he has something he can fix for himself.

<3 Barbie
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited March 2017
    Checking in quickly and marking my spot
    my goals for March
    - not to eat too much,
    - lose a pound move more
    - get my income tax done

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Heather, my dear, I depend on it! :) And salsa is a vegetable. :smiley:

My husband is very good when he cooks about making steamed broccoli, green beans or one of the few I actually will eat. By the time I get about two weeks into it, I'll eat almost anything, so there will be a serving or two at night. I do also take a multi-vitamin religiously, which I know isn't the same, but reassures me somewhat.

Love,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,043 Member
    Greetings Lovelies!

We had a lovely surprise visit from my sister-in-law this morning. She brought with her an enormous scrap book filled to the brim with news cuttings, photographs, letters, pamphlets, tickets, etc, which chronicled my late mother-in-law's life as a young woman during the 2nd World War. She and her two sisters and parents left Jersey in the Channel Islands just before the Germans invaded, and came to stay with relatives in Bristol. After the war she returned to Jersey before marrying my late father-in-law, and much much later having my darling hubby (the youngest of 6).

We were intrigued to read some of the letters and look at some of the priceless photographs that told us even more about this life well lived. We will scan some of the documents, before passing it on to another sister-in-law.

I'm ashamed to say that I've already forgotten my February targets - note to self: keep a copy!

March targets:
    Lose 4 pounds by end of the month
    Keep within calorie allowance 5 days out of 7
    Walk more
    Investigate aqua aerobics

It's a bright and sunny day in Bewdley today, making us all hopeful for spring!

Love love love,

Yinka in Worcestershire, UK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,722 Member
    I've caught up on your posts this morning while I wait for my car doors to thaw. Sixty-five degrees to pouring rain to freezing ice and snow have frozen the doors shut. Luckily a remote starter and religiously setting the heat and defrost to high will eventually get me in the car and off to work ... older cars and their quirks ...

I agree that it's best I don't tell others what I'm doing when changing my eating habits ... others really are intimidated by someone who wants to do what's best for themselves. Lots of naysayers out there.

Question for those who have experience with seizures ... my friend, 61, is dealing with seizures for the first time in her life. Tests are coming back normal ... no tumor, disease, etc ... but also no definitive cause. She's been told stress, lack of sleep, dehydration and low protein may be culprits. Thoughts?

Beth near Buffalo
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Gained 3 pounds in February. Stressful month and March isn't going to be any easier. By the end of the month things should be better. We will have had the closing on the house, stuff put in storage and begin our cross country trip if all goes as planned.

Meanwhile..... my goal for March is to not gain any more weight. Maintain or lose. That is the only health goal.

Rita from Windy CT
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,286 Member
    A quick comment on telling others about our eating habits - I just rec'd an email from my baby brother (63) stating he's finally giving in to taking a statin and BP medication due to nagging from his doctor and wife :o .

So in typical big sister fashion I told him about cutting out the sugar and gave him some leads on books and films about it. He and his wife are both in the medical field - will be interesting to see if they investigate this or are satisfied with taking meds. She's on diabetes meds and I'm not sure what else.

Yinka, I would love to have seen that scrapbook. History means a lot more for me when reading the personal stories and see photos of people I have a link to.

Allie, that Android alternative to Dish sounds great. Saving $$ is always good. Paying for a lot of channels we don't watch...grrr :s , that's when we decided to toss the satellite. It's been 2 years now and their telemarketers resumed calling several times a day despite being told to stop it. Well, a few weeks ago I actually picked up the phone and I am sure their equipment burned up because of the fire I blasted at them, lol. Guess what, the calls stopped immediately.

KJ, a "Day of Honey" sounds good. I am getting so many great book suggestions from this group! Thank you!

Lisa, thank you for posting your eating plan. I think when we actually write it down like that for others to see, it reminds us of our goals and how we plan to get there.

Ok, ladies, make it the best day ever <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Uuuu
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Sharon, when I changed my way of eating, I found that it was best to say nothing about it to anyone. It was amazing how defensive people got when I told them what I eat and what I don't so now I say nothing, My husband and I frequently have days of "find it and fix it" when we are each responsible for our own meals. I make sure that there are foods in the house that he likes so he has something he can fix for himself.

<3 Barbie

Ditto. <3. This is also why I have a private food diary.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Just peeled and chopped 3lb 2oz of carrots, celeriac and swede (rutabaga) which I am cooking together to make mash. That will be 6 portions, i. e. 3 days of mash. Two days will go in the freezer in two pots. I always try to cook stuff for more than one day. Each portions comes out around 100 calories. We will have that tonight with salmon, baked with a little spicy sauce and some snow peas. :D Yum for around 340 calories.

Just been out to pay in my travel insurance cheque at the post office and the girl in there, who was an unsupervised trainee, messed it up. She paid the cheque into the account it was written from, not my account. She didn't know what to do about it, so she is going to ask her manager and phone me when they've sorted it out. :sad: :sad: After all the trouble I've had getting my money back that is the last thing I need. :#:#:o

Love you, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,043 Member
    Greetings again Lovelies!

Heather - I think I'm gonna steal that carrots, celeriac and swede mash combo recipe from you. Never thought of freezing it - I hate peeling veg!

Commiserations on your misshap at the post office - I would have felt compelled to offer my best hard stare in response!

Lanette - we had to put the scrap book away with a promise to look at it more slowly after supper. And bravo for seeing off those pesky satellite telemarketers. That made me chuckle!

Love love love

Yinka in Worcestershire, UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Becca: I like my spinach raw in salad best. I put the frozen stuff in meatloaf and like that, too. :smile:

rebeccaabeck: Tells us about yourself. :flowerforyou:

DJ: We're very pleased that the insurance is pitching in because the raccoons caused several thousand dollars of damage. Yikes! :sick:

Sharon: I hope the doctor can figure out what is going on with your DD and put things into a better spot. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm so glad that you're beginning to feel better. YAY!!! I love your advice to the newbies, "Love you ladies. Remember log everything, eat to your calorie allotment plus exercise allowance, eat good food, not junk, and exercise, as vigorously as you personally can manage, six days a week. That means getting slightly out of breath." :heart: Sorry the post office clerk goofed up with your check hope they get it resolved.

Lisa: I'll give you my maintenance tips now: Log every bite and swallow and move more. That doesn't change when we reach our goal zone. (They are also my weight loss tips. ) (((HUGS)))

We have dental appointments today for regular check ups and tooth cleaning. Our dentist has been undergoing cancer treatment. I hope he is doing better at this point. The office made previous appointments for us but those were cancelled when we had snow. His brothers are also dentists and they were coming to his practice to help out with the backlog. I don't know who will be there today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James