Resenting your other half for eating crap when you're working your butt off

Options
My other half is 6,4 and can literally eat what he wants without gaining weight! Me on the other hand.... well I'm here so evidently I can't!

Whilst I'm trying really hard to change my eating habits and exercise, my other half does no exercise and is constantly bringing home big bags of chocolate, crisps and biscuits. I'm really really starting to resent him and find myself angry with him a lot and I think it's because of this. When I try and tell him about how nutritionally he needs to eat better, he boo hoos me.

Anyone else have this problem and how do I deal with it? It lbs starting to drive a wedge between us

Replies

• Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of this with all kinds of hypocrisy about food and other vices going round at times. For instance last night two huge leftover cakes brought home from work when he knows I'm trying to be good. Asking me to visit Subway today with him even though I didn't want the temptation. Then at other times saying "if you want to lose weight, stop pumping down cakes!". Calling me a fat cow etc.

Anyway I ignore it now because my willpower is high and it's up to me. When I get ill it is a different matter.

I just try to think of the end result - fitting into skinny jeans and nice clothes in the Summer.
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, sounds like this is something I am going to just have to deal with and work on my willpower! Part of the reason it annoys me is because now that I am more aware of what is in certain foods I am trying to look out for his health too. Drinking your body weight in sugary coke and eating a multi pack of crisps a night is a heart attack one day waiting to happen - I don't want to end up a widow! Oh well at least his dinners are more healthy I suppose...
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy yourself. He might come around one day but if not, his loss. Remember that there are many reasons for doing this; health, appearance, cardio, strength, etc. And you definitely have the appearance part down pat by looking at your profile pic. :)
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    My other half is 6,4 and can literally eat what he wants without gaining weight! Me on the other hand.... well I'm here so evidently I can't!

Whilst I'm trying really hard to change my eating habits and exercise, my other half does no exercise and is constantly bringing home big bags of chocolate, crisps and biscuits. I'm really really starting to resent him and find myself angry with him a lot and I think it's because of this. When I try and tell him about how nutritionally he needs to eat better, he boo hoos me.

Anyone else have this problem and how do I deal with it? It lbs starting to drive a wedge between us

I know this is an old post, but you are stunningly beautiful.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can identify with you...somewhat. My husband isn't super tall, and he gains weight like a normal human. He's gained a little marital weight, just like me, but men can carry it better. He has a belly, but other than that he's not that big.

I do hate that when I'm in the zone and saying I should eat less sugar, he brings home all these sweet snacks (we both have a sweet tooth). Or I'll be perfectly fine with what I ate for the day, and he will drop a Reese's/M&M's in my lap while we are watching TV. I'll say...I can't eat that; I need to lose weight...and he shrugs it off.He's fine with me at my current weight and my fatter weight, but I'm trying to get better for me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options

If he is not overweight and can eat whatever he wants without gaining then he doesn't need you to tell him that he needs to eat better. Obviously what he is doing is working for him. You can't change him. What you need to change is your mindset. For one, stop worrying about "good" food vs "bad" food. You need to eat foods that keep you full and stay in your calorie goal. I would recommend working in small portions of the foods you love so you don't feel deprived all the time. The other thing is you just have to come to terms with the fact that a 6'4" male is going to need to eat more calories than you need to eat. My husband is about 7 inches taller than me. I do not need to eat the same amount of food he eats. Once I realized that and just worried about what I was eating and stopped worrying about what he is eating things got a lot easier. I do try not to bring home foods I have trouble moderating, and when they are in the house I try to "hide" them in the cupboard so that I don't see them all the time. But you cannot expect everyone in the house to change their eating habits just because you need to change yours.
  • Babyurastar
    Babyurastar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My other half sits and eats mega plates of pasta and stays thin. I eat a reasonable portion and am up a pound or so in the morning. I figured out that its the sodium, so I try to not step on the scale but when I am feeling good and agree that I am working at a good pace to lose the weight. Its hard, cuz my weight goes down so darn slow. Tomorrow is a baby shower and a good bye party for an employee. This means lots of tempting good food and cake offerings twice. Then I go home and its my better halfs birthday. Cake again and a nice dinner. I try to not beat myself up and as long as I am not losing control, I have a "taste" of everything. Then I run on Saturday, which is usually a full weekend off from running all week. Its just an exchange of one day sinning for the next day attempt to clean up my act and get back on track.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    At some point you just have to realize that you aren't a 6'4" man and he will always be able to eat considerably more than you. You could eat chocolate, crisps and biscuits and still lose weight if you chose as long as you didn't overeat.

My husband is a big guy and yeah, I'd like to be able to eat as much as him but that's just not how life works and my getting bent out of shape or mad at him won't change that. I do get on his case if he eats too much junk because I love him and don't want to see his health decline. Luckily I'm a good cook so he has no problem eating the healthy meals I prepare. Even if he does get to eat twice as much of it as I and still have dessert and beer. :/
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This exact thing used to bother me too. I used to use this as an excuse for WHY I was eating *kitten* I knew I shouldn't eat. It's hard. It feels like sabotage. Like they don't care about hour fitness goals.
  • AlanaWood1234
    AlanaWood1234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally get this, but I tell myself that the choice is my own. When I first started trying harder to lose weight at the beginning of January it was a little bit of a battle with him. He's a field technician, I'm a customer service rep, so obviously our activity levels are different. My problem is he tries to discourage me by saying there's no way I'm eating enough, because he can eat more and be fine!!!! It's been a battle to get to where we are today, but he's noticing that my hard is is paying off now that I'm 13 pounds down, and he's proud of my will power! The other day he did make the comment he wants to start watching what he eats. He sees how much more confident I'm becoming, I'm taking care of myself in many other ways besides just my weight now, and he wants to join in and support me! He'll get there, I'm shocked mine did, but he's much more supportive now.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Please no food shaming. My step daughter does it to my step son at every meal and it's really not very nice. My hubby is 6'2 and chows down on everything, I used to get disappointed in him but after having a long talk with myself, I realised a couple of things: he is his own man and can do what he wants food wise, I have to stay in my own lane. I cannot keep up with him, I have to go at my pace and consumption threshold. I have to make decisions that are good for me, it may be selfish but it doesn't work for me when I don't.

Please accept my comments in love, I've been in your shoes and once I changed my thinking, it was full steam ahead. Good luck!
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Stop being a baby let the man eat how he wants. Why should he have to suffer because your physiology is different than his?

Clearly you missed my point - I don't try and stop him from eating anything, nor did I say that so get off your high horse. I have already acknowledged and admitted that I need to work on my willpower and that this is an internal issue that I have to deal with. I also said that part of my resentment is me trying to look out for his health - it's not all about physiology.