Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What I probably should have posted was:

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

The people who need your message aren't getting it. There's a whole lot between Forever 21 and the Charter Club section of Macy's. Oh well, you tried.
    "When you shop in the juniors department, you look like you are trying to compete with the 18-year-olds. The 18-year-olds always win."
    -Clinton Kelly

But who's right is it to tell us where to shop? Again, if you want to come shop for me and spend your money on me, then by all means I'll wear it, but until then I think people need to stop telling people what they should or shouldn't' do with their money.

I have a couple dresses I bought at Forever 21 that I get compliments on every time I wear them. I also have some great, cheap camisoles from there that I wear to work under tops and dresses that are a little too low-cut fir work but otherwise appropriate and a couple other pieces that no one would look at and know they came from a juniors store or department.

There are plenty of adult-appropriate clothes available in the juniors department. You just have to use your judgment. Some women don't. You'll know them when you see them.

I believe Clinton said that to a woman who exclusively shopped in juniors and had no concept of what looked good. That show was actually on yesterday.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Just thought of a funny story. When I was a teenager and got too chubby for juniors I started to wear men's clothing instead. I really didn't know there was a "Misses" department. I thought plus-size was the only place to go and I was a probably a 14 or 16 so that would have worked too, but I decided I'd rather wear a 36 in mens.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I wear both women and juniors jeans. Juniors are made shorter, and I am short, so often misses are too long for me. I don't buy the destroyed denim or anything that would indicate I am trying to dress like I'm 13, and they fit me fine. Actually I currently have a pair I started wearing, and before that I was wearing my misses. My husband and I both agreed the Juniors were much more flattering on me than the misses pants. I say leave it up to the woman for what she wants to wear, and besides, there are tons of women who are just as small as, or have the same figure as a typical teenager.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do agree! BUT in my defense I'm a size 7-8, and 7 size jeans fit a little better than 8. Give me a junior skinny jean/jegging any day! hahaha
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have to wear juniors unless i want to pay for a tailor. im only 4'8". "womens" clothes just hang off of me. :(

Buy petites, then get the hems pulled up - its actually very inexpensive to get basic tailoring like hemmed pants and things, and petites certainly come in small enough sizes. I have a coworker that's 4'10" and that's what she does - she's also worked out which brands/styles fit her best.

I actually can't fit in the women's either petite or not. The pants do not fit remotely close to correct. But I also don't buy pants that look like a 15 year olds. Just normal jeans.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    srs...your size should NOT be an odd number.HTH

So when I got a pair of pants from the goodwill that were size 13,they are a junior size? SCORE!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Until you buy my clothes, I'll shop where I wanna. I'm 30yrs old and yes I shop in the Jr. department, why? Because I want to and because I can.
    AMEN!! Some of my clothing is from the juniors department and I'm almost 42 years old. I paid for it, it's comfy, I like it, and my husband tells me that my old *kitten* looks "f**kin' hot!" :drinker:

^^^^^THIS^^^^

Plus my favorite & best fitting shorts are a Size 12 (girls) from Justice for Girls -
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!
    I agree that folks should wear what you want that FITS...that said, I do love these places! I can find something cute yet what I feel for me is age appropriate and fits!
  • winterdancer
    Options
    When I get to the size where I can fit in Jr clothes I would buy some. before when i was thinner i bought size 15/17 junior clothes. I shop at Catos, JC. Penney's Fashion Bug. their clothes are higher priced but quality made. walmart, target, kmart have the skimpy cheaply made clothing. when I lose weight I want to wear what makes me feel good and confident. most of my life i had to settle for ugly clothes as I was raised I can't offend anyone by what I wear. now that i am a grown woman I am developing confidence in myself like the others say who cares what people think?
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I've never been able to shop in the Juniors section anyway. :-(

I'm just glad Levi's started making jeans in plus sizes.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Can you please send this to my MIL?

I think my Step-MIL does too and she's over 60 for sure. I think she wore a prom dress to my SIL's wedding.

Sadly, I can totally relate.

But yeah if you've hit puberty it is no longer appropriate to have an odd numbered size.

Unless they fit. I can't imagine anyone reaching over and grabbing my shirt collar or pants waistband to check the size, finding out it's an 11, or 8, or 9, or 10 (all those sizes are in my closet) and gasping in horror: "You shouldn't wear that size because it's for JUNIORS!"

Seriously. Buy what fits. Dress for the occasion. Who cares?

For what it's worth...I shop for about 75% of my clothes at the Goodwill and ARC, because I'm cheap and I can find good quality name brand clothing for $2-10 dollars an item. If the size I try happens to be a "junior" size and it fits, so what? Some junior-sized clothing is cute and nice--I'm not buying midriff shirts or skinny jeans because I don't like those styles, but I can fit into plenty of junior sizes and look good (and get compliments). And I don't look like I'm trying to be a teenager. I also buy clothes at Kohls, Pennys, Macys, Walmart, Target, etc...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!
    I agree that folks should wear what you want that FITS...that said, I do love these places! I can find something cute yet what I feel for me is age appropriate and fits!

I wish I could afford to shop those places on a regular basis! So nice.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I would shop in the plus size men's section WITH the tag stating so if I found a pair of jeans that fit and makes my assssss look amazing.

I guess working retail for 10 years I have learned not to give a f!uck what the size, section or brand is...as long as I look good :wink:
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

I'm 24 and I still enjoy shopping in certain Junior sections because I'm not ready to wear turtlenecks and mom jeans yet. Have you seen Macy's Women's section? I don't think any 20-somethings are going to be browsing through the poncho's and cheetah cardigan's there. Why would we be shopping in the "Misses" along with women who are my Grandma's age?

Besides, why would you care what other people wear and if they look cheaply made, minnion?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    My TOP 3 rules for shopping:

1. do i LIKE/LOVE it
    2. does it FIT and FLATTER my body
    3. can i AFFORD it

I don't care if i'm looking in a bin at goodwill, juniors dep, saks, marshalls, dillards, or whatever as long as it meets my criteria

Love this. It's pretty much my motto when I shop (and I shop often at Goodwill LOL).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... 'cause those places are in my budget. Are you buying my clothes now?
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I wish I could afford to shop those places on a regular basis! So nice.

Yeah. Must be nice.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

Ha-Ha!! Can you please tell my brother's wife this?? She is 48 and insists on trying to shop in juniors...the clothes look a mess on her!! :laugh:
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have to wear juniors unless i want to pay for a tailor. im only 4'8". "womens" clothes just hang off of me. :(

Macy's has a great *petites* dept...I'm sure other major retailers do as well...
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

This post was inpired by a woman who was beating herself up, and hating on her big hips because even at her thinnest she was an 11 in the juniors department. When I and others suggested she try the adult women's section (which is usually referred to as Misses) she said she didn't think she was old enough at 25. She, like a lot of you, mistakenly believed that everything in the Misses section was "too old" or "frumpy".

I turned my frustration at her post into this post. I made it a generalized sweeping statement for comedy and yes, somewhat for controversy. I had NO idea that so many women would be insulted or that so many women shared her view of Misses as being "frumpy". I was not attacking anyone.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors is cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

So the moral of the store is, dress however the hell you want to dress but don't beat yourself up, or try to change your bone structure because a certain type of clothing doesn't fit or look good on you. Try to be the best you can be. Love that and dress that.
    I appreciate this. Not going to lie, your original post made me see red.

I buy all my jeans in the juniors department. Not because I want to be a teenager, but because I have no torso to speak of, so most misses and women's jeans come up to my belly button. Not a cute look.

Everyone's different. My former coworker shopped exclusively at the Limited and Ann Taylor and always looked great.

I shop at Forever 21, Gap, and multiple junior's departments, and she always told me how great I looked.

Just wear whatever makes you happy, people.

^^^
    Plus your added quote of "a woman's" body (if we don't fit in misses, do we not have a woman's body?) and then the part about sophistication, and that jr clothes are "cheap" yeah, not so much.

with no reference to the woman beating herself up on her hips... It was lost on most people and you came off sounding condescending, judgmental and snarky. I've worked in retail, when I but clothes for myself, it's usually a 3 day event as I have a hard time finding exactly what I want. The "misses" at JC penney's is way smaller than the woman's section and the jr's dept. It's very small, and has maybe 6? brands of jeans to choose from and their basic tops have a decent variety, but maybe a small handful of cute tops I'd wear. Kohls? Yikes. When I was shopping for a wedding outfit, I found maybe 6 things in that whole dept that I'd even wear. Most of it is frump, career, or something I would rarely wear outside of an event. I agree to dress to what fits you, but we're not cookie cutters and the fashion industry treats us as such.

It was nice of you to apologize.