Don't Tell Me You Can't Lose Weight With Exercise

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Okay.

I think you miss the point other people make that you think you're arguing against, but whatever.

I wouldn't lose any weight without exercise either. That doesn't mean my diet isn't my first consideration. If I were overeating, I could blow all my exercise out of the water with 10 minutes, a spoon, a jar of peanut butter, and some existential angst.

Of course you can lose weight without exercising but it's much harder to lose weight just exercising
    Many disabled people lose weight by calorie restriction only
    I've lost lots weight several times on vlcd meal replacements no exercise

Which is why you keep putting it back on id imagine.

People need to stop complicating it...YES exercise helps make a defecit YES its possible to lose with just exercise but its still more benefical to do a calorie defecit. More so a defecit and exercise. Its simple i feel like everyones argueing the same point just worded different. No one can honestly think any of thats not true?
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you are still eating less than you burn.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Okay.

I think you miss the point other people make that you think you're arguing against, but whatever.

I wouldn't lose any weight without exercise either. That doesn't mean my diet isn't my first consideration. If I were overeating, I could blow all my exercise out of the water with 10 minutes, a spoon, a jar of peanut butter, and some existential angst.

Of course you can lose weight without exercising but it's much harder to lose weight just exercising
    Many disabled people lose weight by calorie restriction only
    I've lost lots weight several times on vlcd meal replacements no exercise

I think you misunderstood me.

I was supporting the idea that you can lose weight without exercise. I got very little exercise when I first started losing weight.

Additionally, creating a deficit through exercise alone takes a lot of effort and not everyone can do it. If you're not keeping a check on intake, exercise won't matter.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A calorie deficit can be created through diet and/or exercise...any deficit will get you there.

While I agree that the people who say that diet is for losing weight and exercise is only for fitness are ridiculously over-simplifying; the basic premise that it's easy to out-eat that exercise if you're not paying attention is true.
  • muzikrazyman
    muzikrazyman Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As a skinny guy trying to bulk up even a TINY amount, my issue isnt working out. Its eating enough. I've logged my calorie/protein intake for 4 days now. And not once have I passed half my daily intake (3400). As a result, when my body needs to replenish the energy and calories it expended in my workout, if there's not enough readily-available calories in my body, it takes it straight from the muscles I'm working hard to build. I assumed everyone with an inkling of knowledge about working out and muscular hypertrophy knew about this.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Someone with 10 pounds to lose can lose weight pretty easily by increasing their exercise and keeping their eating the same. Someone with 100 pounds to lose is going to have a hard time creating a deficit solely through exercise.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Someone with 10 pounds to lose can lose weight pretty easily by increasing their exercise and keeping their eating the same. Someone with 100 pounds to lose is going to have a hard time creating a deficit solely through exercise.

As long as they're willing to keep that same level of exercise forever, yes.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wtf is zwift
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight lately. It isn't intentional. I've been maintaining my weight for a couple of years now, but over the past few weeks I've noticed a slow but steady decline in my weight. 208 was my goal, then it slipped to 205, which seemed fine, but then it slipped to 204 and this week it is 203. I haven't been counting my food calories, but rather I've been following my normal habits. Bacon and eggs and a banana for breakfast. Whatever Aramark is serving on the "Home" line at work. Something light for supper. And various snacks to round out rest. The thing that has changed is my exercise. I've never really liked riding my bicycle inside, but because of Zwift I don't mind it so much. That means that I have fewer off days for rain or darkness or because I don't want to mess with traffic. It also means that I have more 1,000 calorie workouts. There are no stop signs on Zwift, so I'm putting in more effort during the same amount of time that I put in outside. Burning more calories while eating about the same amount translates in to weight loss.

Um, yeah? I didn't think that was controversial. If someone is eating at maintenance then significantly ups their exercise, and doesn't change their eating of course they will lose weight.

You would not think so, would you? And yet I've seen multiple people on here, in response to someone saying something like "It's 80% diet and 20% exercise," posting "No! It's 100% diet!" Apparently those people have discovered food logging and fallen into some sort of singularity where basic math doesn't exist.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.

I don't think it's limited - I lost almost 60 lbs just walking every other day over 2 summers. Didn't count calories at all. Went from a size 18 to a size 8 and all I did was walk about 1/2 mile average, every other day. Granted, I'm physically disabled, and walk on crutches, so walking for me is a really strenuous workout. I guess not everyone can lose just by exercise, but there are a lot of people here who claim that you basically don't lose weight from exercise, and it's just not true.

You're right, it's not true that you don't lose weight from exercise, "period." When I weighed 250 lbs I walked a full mile a night, 5 nights a week and didn't lose an ounce. It was barely enough to stop me from gaining more, but I wasn't tracking the previous trend. Only my weight going forward. Your circumstances differ from the average person due to your disability, and I'm sure the walking had far greater effects on your overall wellness than just your weight.

Also, counting calories is only a method of achieving a calorie deficit through diet. That doesn't mean your diet didn't change, consciously or otherwise.