Don't Tell Me You Can't Lose Weight With Exercise

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    is timothy fishing for clients?

Maybe. Would probably have to pm him to find out his secret, though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Wtf is zwift

Internet shows it's some kind of indoor cycling.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always heard that too and its BS, I lost all the weight by training 5 times a week....
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that just because you didn't physically count your calories doesn't mean you weren't eating at a deficit.

QFT
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories and increasing my walks, in the weeks I walk the most I don't lose any weight, the weeks I dont walk 6 out of 7 nights, the more I lose, it's dropping off rapidly
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wtf is zwift

Just a glance at the site - you cycle on an indoor bike while watching pretend you cycle through pretend outside.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Wtf is zwift

Just a glance at the site - you cycle on an indoor bike while watching pretend you cycle through pretend outside.

Lol, why not just cycle outside and get the free vit D and fresh air?

Great for mental and physical health that way.

We find cycling a great family activity.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Zwift is a good way to train indoors in inclement weather or once night falls early. I've been looking into getting it, but meanwhile, I simply use an indoor trainer and do commercial intervals. :)

One of the nice things with Zwift is that it connects with Strava. When I do my indoor trainer workouts, I have to manually enter them.

Cyclists know about this stuff ... but if you're not a cyclist, you probably aren't familiar with it all.

As for exercise and weight loss ... of course it works.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    size102b wrote: »
    Okay.

I think you miss the point other people make that you think you're arguing against, but whatever.

I wouldn't lose any weight without exercise either. That doesn't mean my diet isn't my first consideration. If I were overeating, I could blow all my exercise out of the water with 10 minutes, a spoon, a jar of peanut butter, and some existential angst.

Of course you can lose weight without exercising but it's much harder to lose weight just exercising
    Many disabled people lose weight by calorie restriction only
    I've lost lots weight several times on vlcd meal replacements no exercise

Which is why you keep putting it back on id imagine.

People need to stop complicating it...YES exercise helps make a defecit YES its possible to lose with just exercise but its still more benefical to do a calorie defecit. More so a defecit and exercise. Its simple i feel like everyones argueing the same point just worded different. No one can honestly think any of thats not true?

Nope I've kept most of it off actually I just was advised to stop as had 11 blood. transfusions and I need more varied foods
    You do not need to exercise to lose weight many disabled people lose weight
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    What is Zwift and how do you cook it?

:lol:

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Zwift is a good way to train indoors in inclement weather or once night falls early. I've been looking into getting it, but meanwhile, I simply use an indoor trainer and do commercial intervals. :)

One of the nice things with Zwift is that it connects with Strava. When I do my indoor trainer workouts, I have to manually enter them.

Cyclists know about this stuff ... but if you're not a cyclist, you probably aren't familiar with it all.

As for exercise and weight loss ... of course it works.

Which indoor trainer do you like?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.

I would love to see some further reading on this! Please mention me by name when you post the link!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    deviousme7 wrote: »
    I've been counting calories and increasing my walks, in the weeks I walk the most I don't lose any weight, the weeks I dont walk 6 out of 7 nights, the more I lose, it's dropping off rapidly

Weight loss doesn't matter with walks. It's keeping the damn dogs from getting bored. I've got 2 Westies and if they don't get walked, they are a pain in the butt.
    Options
    I am still standing by my comment that exercise helps create that deficit. Your daily diet may not have you in a deficit until you add in 30 minutes or more of exercise a day. Exercise and create a deficit without needing to eat less, don't exercise and eat at maintenance or possibly above and have no deficit. I don't even understand how this is even debatable. Not only does exercise help create a deficit, it helps with getting some amount of lean muscle mass which in turn creates a greater burn in general, even if you aren't gaining that lean mass you are using the lean mass you already have. It requires more energy to use muscle than it does to carry around extra body fat which is just dead weight.
    Options
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.

I would love to see some further reading on this! Please mention me by name when you post the link!

What reading? It's basic stuff. If you keep the same diet and add exercise, you will lose via increased TDEE until you reach equilibrium. At that point, if you still need to lose more, you'd either have to increase TDEE again or decrease your calorie intake. That's the whole CICO thing people blather on about on these boards.

So this is basic knowledge we are all programmed with upon birth or does it just magically come to us in a dream? You are rambling about TDEE etc... the fact remains. You have brought nothing to back up your claim. You are telling me that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I am waiting for some explanatory and reliable source that brought you to the conclusion that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I once weighed 200 lbs. The ONLY thing I did was walk on a daily basis and I lost 70 lbs. I did not change my diet, I did not increase my exercise etc... I went from sedentary to not. That is all. I do not believe the effect that exercise has on fat loss is "limited".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am still standing by my comment that exercise helps create that deficit. Your daily diet may not have you in a deficit until you add in 30 minutes or more of exercise a day. Exercise and create a deficit without needing to eat less, don't exercise and eat at maintenance or possibly above and have no deficit. I don't even understand how this is even debatable. Not only does exercise help create a deficit, it helps with getting some amount of lean muscle mass which in turn creates a greater burn in general, even if you aren't gaining that lean mass you are using the lean mass you already have. It requires more energy to use muscle than it does to carry around extra body fat which is just dead weight.

Exercise increases your maintenance calories which makes it easier to maintain a deficit...it doesn't default to creating a deficit...I do all of the cycling and I maintain...how is that if exercise creates a deficit?