Don't Tell Me You Can't Lose Weight With Exercise

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I am still standing by my comment that exercise helps create that deficit. Your daily diet may not have you in a deficit until you add in 30 minutes or more of exercise a day. Exercise and create a deficit without needing to eat less, don't exercise and eat at maintenance or possibly above and have no deficit. I don't even understand how this is even debatable. Not only does exercise help create a deficit, it helps with getting some amount of lean muscle mass which in turn creates a greater burn in general, even if you aren't gaining that lean mass you are using the lean mass you already have. It requires more energy to use muscle than it does to carry around extra body fat which is just dead weight.

Exercise increases your maintenance calories which makes it easier to maintain a deficit...it doesn't default to creating a deficit...I do all of the cycling and I maintain...how is that if exercise creates a deficit?

Really? Obviously if you are eating to maintain at THAT activity level it will not create a deficit. But if you do not exercise and have been maintaining then you add exercise you will see the difference.
    When you exercise it requires physical energy. This is why exercise helps create a deficit. I will add, that is not to say you MUST exercise to create a deficit( because I know that will get thrown out there). If you burn more calories through exercise you will see a loss. You can easily see this for yourself. Eat at maintenance and do not exercise for 30 days. Then Do not change your diet in any way and add in exercise. You will see a loss. Because exercise created the deficit.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,846 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What is Zwift and how do you cook it?

:lol:

Advertisers didn't know how to spell

61olreP4FHL._SX342_.jpg
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.

I would love to see some further reading on this! Please mention me by name when you post the link!

What reading? It's basic stuff. If you keep the same diet and add exercise, you will lose via increased TDEE until you reach equilibrium. At that point, if you still need to lose more, you'd either have to increase TDEE again or decrease your calorie intake. That's the whole CICO thing people blather on about on these boards.

So this is basic knowledge we are all programmed with upon birth or does it just magically come to us in a dream? You are rambling about TDEE etc... the fact remains. You have brought nothing to back up your claim. You are telling me that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I am waiting for some explanatory and reliable source that brought you to the conclusion that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I once weighed 200 lbs. The ONLY thing I did was walk on a daily basis and I lost 70 lbs. I did not change my diet, I did not increase my exercise etc... I went from sedentary to not. That is all. I do not believe the effect that exercise has on fat loss is "limited".

I was eating 2500 to 3000 calories a day at 250 lbs and gaining. In order to get to a healthy weight without changing my diet, I would have had to add 1000 to 1500 calories a day in exercise, just to hit the top of the healthy BMI range. Since my goal isn't to be the fattest I can be without a doctor giving me crap about it, adding that insane amount of exercise a) would not have gotten me to my goal, and b) would not have been sustainable to even get to that max weight in the first place, making the whole thing a moot point. That is where the usefulness of exercise in weight loss is limited. Nobody ever said it isnt useful at all, but its limit is based on your calorie intake vs. your (increased) TDEE and how it compares to your goals.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have seen it stated here a LOT that exercise has little to do with weight loss. I have always disagreed with that idea as any activity which increases calorie burn will assist in weight loss.

Exercise is always helpful but its effects are limited when it comes to fat loss.

I would love to see some further reading on this! Please mention me by name when you post the link!

What reading? It's basic stuff. If you keep the same diet and add exercise, you will lose via increased TDEE until you reach equilibrium. At that point, if you still need to lose more, you'd either have to increase TDEE again or decrease your calorie intake. That's the whole CICO thing people blather on about on these boards.

So this is basic knowledge we are all programmed with upon birth or does it just magically come to us in a dream? You are rambling about TDEE etc... the fact remains. You have brought nothing to back up your claim. You are telling me that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I am waiting for some explanatory and reliable source that brought you to the conclusion that the effect exercise has on fat loss is limited. I once weighed 200 lbs. The ONLY thing I did was walk on a daily basis and I lost 70 lbs. I did not change my diet, I did not increase my exercise etc... I went from sedentary to not. That is all. I do not believe the effect that exercise has on fat loss is "limited".

I was eating 2500 to 3000 calories a day at 250 lbs and gaining. In order to get to a healthy weight without changing my diet, I would have had to add 1000 to 1500 calories a day in exercise, just to hit the top of the healthy BMI range. Since my goal isn't to be the fattest I can be without a doctor giving me crap about it, adding that insane amount of exercise a) would not have gotten me to my goal, and b) would not have been sustainable to even get to that max weight in the first place, making the whole thing a moot point. That is where the usefulness of exercise in weight loss is limited. Nobody ever said it isnt useful at all, but its limit is based on your calorie intake vs. your (increased) TDEE and how it compares to your goals.

You would lose to an extent. The OP (which is who I was addressing in the first place) mentions losing with out changing his diet and only after adding exercise. In your case no you would not lose down to a healthy range without cutting calories but you would lose something. WHICH WAS MY POINT. (and I never said you could still eat like a moose and still lose weight.) I said you could lose with the addition of exercise. How MUCH is individual. Obviously if you are eating that much there is a window of loss and then you would have to change, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT. So if you need to start your own thread to argue about your very different argument you are welcome to do it instead of trying to hijack this one.
    Options
    I am still standing by my comment that exercise helps create that deficit. Your daily diet may not have you in a deficit until you add in 30 minutes or more of exercise a day. Exercise and create a deficit without needing to eat less, don't exercise and eat at maintenance or possibly above and have no deficit. I don't even understand how this is even debatable. Not only does exercise help create a deficit, it helps with getting some amount of lean muscle mass which in turn creates a greater burn in general, even if you aren't gaining that lean mass you are using the lean mass you already have. It requires more energy to use muscle than it does to carry around extra body fat which is just dead weight.

Exercise increases your maintenance calories which makes it easier to maintain a deficit...it doesn't default to creating a deficit...I do all of the cycling and I maintain...how is that if exercise creates a deficit?

Really? Obviously if you are eating to maintain at THAT activity level it will not create a deficit. But if you do not exercise and have been maintaining then you add exercise you will see the difference.
    When you exercise it requires physical energy. This is why exercise helps create a deficit. I will add, that is not to say you MUST exercise to create a deficit( because I know that will get thrown out there). If you burn more calories through exercise you will see a loss. You can easily see this for yourself. Eat at maintenance and do not exercise for 30 days. Then Do not change your diet in any way and add in exercise. You will see a loss. Because exercise created the deficit.

No...exercise increased my maintenance and I didn't compensate with my diet...thus I am eating in a deficit. You said it yourself, if I eat to maintenance I will maintain., this it is the change or no change in diet that is having the impact.

I am not talking about a change in diet but rather a change in physical activity. You can be sedentary and maintain, or exercise at the same calorie intake and lose. That is all.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

You would lose to an extent. The OP (which is who I was addressing in the first place) mentions losing with out changing his diet and only after adding exercise. In your case no you would not lose down to a healthy range without cutting calories but you would lose something. WHICH WAS MY POINT. (and I never said you could still eat like a moose and not lose weight.) I said you could lose with the addition of exercise. How MUCH is individual. Obviously if you are eating that much there is a window of loss and then you would have to change, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT. So if you need to start your own thread to argue about your very different argument you are welcome to do it instead of trying to hijack this one.

The point is, the OP was taking other people's words about the effectiveness of exercise in losing weight without changing diet and spinning it to mean you CAN'T lose weight just by adding exercise, and countering that false intent with his own experience. It's not derailing. It's addressing the intent of the OP.

Hence...
    4comic2-555.png

You CAN LOSE WEIGHT USING EXERCISE. You don't have to believe it or like it. Obviously not every thing applies to every one across the board in a strict and exact way. ANY person who increases their calorie burn will lose weight in some amount. That is what I am talking about and you are arguing that it is not possible.

But he did not! It is the calories in or out. It is easier to create a deficit than outrun your fork. I have personal experience with this notion.
    Options

You would lose to an extent. The OP (which is who I was addressing in the first place) mentions losing with out changing his diet and only after adding exercise. In your case no you would not lose down to a healthy range without cutting calories but you would lose something. WHICH WAS MY POINT. (and I never said you could still eat like a moose and not lose weight.) I said you could lose with the addition of exercise. How MUCH is individual. Obviously if you are eating that much there is a window of loss and then you would have to change, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT. So if you need to start your own thread to argue about your very different argument you are welcome to do it instead of trying to hijack this one.

The point is, the OP was taking other people's words about the effectiveness of exercise in losing weight without changing diet and spinning it to mean you CAN'T lose weight just by adding exercise, and countering that false intent with his own experience. It's not derailing. It's addressing the intent of the OP.

Hence...
    4comic2-555.png

You CAN LOSE WEIGHT USING EXERCISE. You don't have to believe it or like it. Obviously not every thing applies to every one across the board in a strict and exact way. ANY person who increases their calorie burn will lose weight in some amount. That is what I am talking about and you are arguing that it is not possible.

But he did not! It is the calories in or out. It is easier to create a deficit than outrun your fork. I have personal experience with this notion.

Exercise INCREASES the calories OUT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hence...
    4comic2-555.png

Okay, so let's say someone eats 500 calories a day over TDEE (and of course they are gaining weight). This isn't uncommon. They do 400 calories of exercise a day. Tell me mathematically how they lose weight doing this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options

Hence...
    4comic2-555.png

You CAN lose weight using exercise IF you still eat less than you burn. Had to make sure that was clarified for people you may be confusing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png