March 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Morning nonrunning check in. Dr. Notes from my appointment finally online, so I could recheck recommendations. I have to correct one thing, I do not have Patellofemoral Syndrome, I misheard the Dr. Just a "minor sprain of the patellar ligament"

Notes pretty much included what I had said before EXCEPT: I am free to run once I am pain free for 3 days! YAY! Dr noted that since I stopped running as soon as the pain was bad, and was icing it and taking NSAIDs, I caught it before there was too much damage.

I'm still planning on not running for a 2-3 more days for sure, and if there's any pain, to extend that but, after asking a quick question of my Dr. (to clarify the pain free for 3 days part) I'm cleared to run as early as Thursday, as long as the pain going up and down stairs stays away. Then she wants me taking the running easy for a few days and after that, if all goes well, I'm cleared to resume training!!!!!

Huge relief. Not saying theirs light at the end of the tunnel yet, but at least I know there's an end to the tunnel somewhere.

That's great news, and you have a really good attitude toward recovery. Taking an extra 2 or 3 days to be sure is a lot better than starting up too soon and setting yourself back.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    3/1 - 3.5 mi.
    3/2 - 4.0 mi.
    3/3 - 4.2 mi.
    3/4 - 4.0 mi.
    3/5 - 3.5 mi.
    3/6 - 3.1 mi.
    March total: 22.3/100
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2017
    Date - Mi - MTD (Goal=70mi)
    3/6 - 3.55 - 12.2
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that have gone through PT for running injuries: How long do your daily assignments take to complete? My PT has me doing a set of 6 exercises, which takes about 20-25 minutes to complete all of the reps. I am supposed to do this 4-5 times per day. That is a lot of time! Way more time than I spend running! Seems excessive.

My exercises took about 30 to 40 minutes but i just had to do them once a day.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    My husband just showed me this article. It looks like a marathon down in the Houston area was accidentally cut short by .8 miles. Can you imagine?!? Even if you weren't qualifying for Boston and maybe you just wanted to run a marathon...well, all that training was for 25.4 miles. It's not like you can just go out and run another marathon in a few weeks.

http://wfaa.com/news/local/runners-mistakenly-led-off-course-by-official-at-the-woodlands-marathon/420065887

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @lporter229 I'm going to tell you that 1 lbs is from the different exercises you have been doing. Next week it'll be all gone. Heal hamstring heal!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @BeerRunner- When I ran the Charleston marathon in 2015, a similar mistake at the very beginning of the course put the whole thing long by 0.2 miles. In the grand scheme of things, I would rather my course be long than short, but it still had a big impact on those trying to BQ. All of the mile markers were off by 0.2, so it was a nightmare trying to figure out if you were on pace or not. Fortunately I was not trying to BQ, but the Boston Athletic Association did come down and measure the actual course we ran and adjusted everybody's time based on pace, which I thought was very fair.

@7Lenny7-smart man on skipping last Wednesday's run, and cool pics of the graffiti. Also, congrats on managing your niggles (and thanks to @Orphia for giving us the word "niggles)!

@skippygirlsmom - I hope you are right. I am not really worried about 1 lb, I just don't want it to be the start of a trend!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Well today I ran my longest run at 13 km. I am running my first 10 km race on March 26 and then my first HM on May 7th! My goal for the HM is to not finish last!!!

Congrats on your longest run! Your HM goal is very realistic and the same I set for my first HM. :smiley:
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    exercise.png

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 8 miles
    3/3 - 16 miles

3/5 - 7 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    03/01: 105 min XT + stretch
    03/02: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:29 pace + 45 min XT + stretch + core
    03/03: 90 min XT + stretch + strength training
    03/04: 3.04 mile easy run, 9:31 pace + 45 min XT + core
    03/05: 10.07 mile long run, 9:28 pace + stretch
    03/06: 3.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 20 min XT + stretch + core
    Total: 20.21 miles

Notes:
    Easy three mile run today. It was very very windy out, to the point where I few times I was barely even moving when strong gusts came through! I recently discovered a little mulch trail that weaves around the lakefront path I usually run, so I've been enjoying exploring that a bit! It's the closest I've ever come to trail running (Chicago doesn't exactly have any trails that are accessible by public transportation!) and a lot more hilly than the pancake-flat route I usually run. Might have to post a picture next time I run it again!

@JessicaMcB @Orphia - As far as the pronation/shoe discussion goes- I'm a HUGE fan of the Asics GT-2000s! They've been my go to shoe for 3 years now, and I've owned 11 pairs (6 retired, 4 in active rotation, 1 in reserve) ranging from the 2s up to the 4s, mens and womens version, and even one pair of the trail version (for all those trails that I don't run lol). Haven't had a chance to try the 5s yet but I've heard great things! Before that, I ran briefly in Brooks Glycerins, but started having pretty severe shin pain that subsided almost immediately after switching to the Asics.
    @MNLittleFinn - YAY that's great news!! I hope the pain stays away and that you're back to training in no time :)
    @lporter229 - Initially my PT had me doing a series of exercises three times a day, it took 20-30 min each time. We also met three times a week for sessions that were 1-1.5 hours long. After a few weeks, he dropped me down to doing the at home exercises once a day, then only on days we didn't meet, and then not at all. Now that I'm done, I do a combination of the at home and in office exercises 2-3 times a week, which takes about an hour each time.
    @7lenny7 - Super impressed by that long trail run you did! Sounds like an awesome run and some cool sights along the way
    @BeeerRunner - I did a 5K last january that was actually only 2.4 miles long! The top guy finished in something like 13 or 14 minutes which should have been a huge indication that something was off lol. I didn't mind though as it was my final race in a three race (one day) series so I was super tired. Heard a lot of people afterwards talking about how they had huge PRs, but I didn't want to be *that* person and correct them...

exercise.png

Training For:
    03/19: Excalibur 10 Miler (Viera, FL)
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    Well today I ran my longest run at 13 km. I am running my first 10 km race on March 26 and then my first HM on May 7th! My goal for the HM is to not finish last!!!

Congrats on your longest run! Your HM goal is very realistic and the same I set for my first HM. :smiley:

Thanks!! When is your first HM?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    In happier news though, I have an awesome new problem. I'm still trying to lose some weight, but last week I lost ~3.5 lbs, and another 2.2 the previous week. That's too fast! So I need to eat even more! Woohoo! Guess I've been being a little too conservative with my estimates, and staying under my net goal a little too much.

I've been trying to make my weight trend sideways for 5 years now, and marathon training makes it hard to see the trend. I can be down a full pound two days in a row, then up 3 or 4 pounds after a rest day. That comes back off with 2 days of running. The fluctuations have to be water and other residuals in my gastro-intestinal system; but the fluctuations can obscure the truth.

Lately I've come to think that I'm mostly seeing water bound to glycogen going away with hard training, and coming back with rest. I think I began to see this a little when I was running 35 miles per week, but it's very obvious when I'm over 50 miles per week with a couple of quality workout days and a long run.

So . . . depending on how often you weight, what you're seeing may or may not reflect reality. The weight can fluctuate more in serious training mode than it does when you're just running the same amount every week. And yes, ramping up the miles can mean you need to eat more to maintain the weight; but if you're trying to lose, you feel good, and your running performance is good, I wouldn't worry about the weight coming off. Time enough to worry about that when you no longer want to lose and/or your running performance suffers and/or you feel awful after losing too much, too fast.

Just for the sake of example, here's my last 7 days of weight fluctuation.

rest day, then +1.2 lbs.
    speed work day, then -0.2 lbs.
    easy run day, then -0.4 lbs.
    long MP interval day, then -1.0 lbs.
    rest day, then +3.0 lbs.
    16 mile snowy run, then -2.0 lbs.
    12 mile run on tired legs, then -0.8 lbs.

Net change over 7 days, -0.2 lbs. I'll call that maintenance, even though the daily numbers bounce around more than they would if I were just conservatively running 35 mostly easy miles per week. Rest day today, and I expect my weight to bounce back up tomorrow morning.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    March 1 - hour of walk breaks at work
    March 2 - same
    March 3 - 5 mile run (faster than lately), 25 min strength training
    March 4 - 5 mile run (hilly)
    March 5 - 50 min easy cardio mixed with strength training
    March 6 - 20 min walk....... and later will be HIIT workout

March goal: Enjoy running and improve overall fitness with crosstraining

It's crazy windy here today also. I'm glad it's not a run day. Tomorrow will be day 1 of trying to start running Tues/Thurs mornings before work. Wish me luck!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Not that an injury is a good thing but, I just put in for a sub tomorrow since my GI system currently hates me..... So, it's nice to know that I won't miss a run from being sick.
  • mellecita
    mellecita Posts: 6,189 Member
    mellecita wrote: »
    I'm just getting back into after taking some time off. I'm in for 25 miles.

2.35 miles yesterday, so I've got 22.65 to go!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    iofred wrote: »
    "Asics Kayano
    Asics GT 2000
    I've tried both the Asics, and am now on my third pair of Kayanos."
    I got along with Kayano21 very well, but with the 22 & 23 I suffered from heel pain. I have now switched to the Saucony Guide and Mizonu Wave, and the first experience is very favorable, with Saucony being the slight favorite

Interesting post @iofred. I am a long, long time Kayano wearer. As in, I have been wearing them for over 10 years and have probably gone through at least 30 pairs. However, I believe that the 22s are partially responsible for my current hamstring tendonitis. Something vastly different in the heal fit of this shoe versus previous models.

@iofred and @lporter229 - I had a similar issue a couple of years ago with Asics. I had worn them exclusively since I started running and loved them. Got a new pair of the style I had always worn (new version/release) and not long after started having PF pain. By the time I saw the doctor I had torn the fascia but still did not relate it to the shoes. When we started looking at what changed around the time I started having problems I realized the only change had been the new shoes. I then did research online and found that Asics had made a major change in that release and many people had experienced the same problem I had. As a test I bought a pair of the older version and had no issues with it but every time I wore the new ones, even just to walk, they caused me pain. Needless to say I got rid of them (out the $100+ I paid for them) and I have been afraid to try Asics again. It did lead me to try 0 drop shoes and I am very comfortable with what I am running in now... so I guess in the end it all worked out ok.