• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    fidycixer wrote: »
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    fidycixer wrote: »
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the pizza fitness plan varies by location as well.

I think squat racks at PF are not the norm...I've never seen them at any of the PF locations in my area. I don't doubt that some have them, but I don't get the impression that it's the norm.
    “Our clubs don’t have equipment like squat racks and Olympic benches. Our dumbbells only go up to 80 pounds.”
    ~McCall Gosselin PF Director of Public Relations

from this article...

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym

They don't have free weights but you can do squats with the bar that you cannot take off the machine. I do them 3 xs a week or more. It is true that all Pf's don't have the same equipment but the one I go to does have a bench press that you can do squats at also. I don't know what the official name of the machine is called but it works is all that matters to me.

I think you're talking about a Smith Machine, which isn't the same thing...

I have no idea how I would squat from a bench...I typically train with 210-280 depending and 1RM 300 at the moment.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i would seriously join a planet fatness though. maybe they have an alternative gravity structure and i can moon bounce my way around the whole planet. plus there's free pizza!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's not high school, I don't need to be told that I "fit in." It's fine to not join a gym if you're not comfortable but I don't need affirmations on my workout equipment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    honestly, I find the threads judging PF much more indicative of the person doing the judging than of PF and its policies

the no dropping weights thing is kinda dumb tho

I was always taught you shouldn't drop your weights - that is a sign that what you are lifting is too heavy and uncontrollable

Olympic lifts are at the foundation of my programming...you drop cleans and jerks and snatches...or you just jack your shoulders all to hell. Olympic lifts that are light enough to muscle down aren't doing much.

A heavy dead lift, even when controlled coming down is still usually going to make some noise which is why they have bumper plates and you typically dead lift on a platform...I've also dropped a 1 RM more than once...by this logic, nobody should ever try to 1 RM.

but I'm pretty sure those aren't the types of lifting that PF is targeting with their lunk alarm...since that isn't the general dynamic of folks at FP

If one were to attempt these lifts at PF, they would sound the lunk alarm...these lifts are not allowed...even though they are some of the most beneficial lifts you can possibly do...

These aren't even "hulky" body building movements...I started Olympic lifting in high school as a track and field sprinter. These are traditional fitness/athletic movements...banning them really is absurd. Calling people who do them "lunks" is ridiculous and just furthers a stereotype...

I'm a cycling enthusiast...hardly a "lunk"...

They call themselves judgement free...but then turn around and judge someone who's taking their lifting seriously. It's rather laughable.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I know it's a judgement free zone and all but I can't not judge people for eating while working out.

Then the issue is with you not them... unless they are wiping pizza grease over the equipment and not cleaning it up, then just ignore it. Or skip Pizza Day (whenever it is, I'm sure it's advertised).

So is that the real reason you can't deadlift at PF? The bar is covered in pizza grease and it would ruin your grip.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly, I find the threads judging PF much more indicative of the person doing the judging than of PF and its policies

the no dropping weights thing is kinda dumb tho

I was always taught you shouldn't drop your weights - that is a sign that what you are lifting is too heavy and uncontrollable

Olympic lifts are at the foundation of my programming...you drop cleans and jerks and snatches...or you just jack your shoulders all to hell. Olympic lifts that are light enough to muscle down aren't doing much.

A heavy dead lift, even when controlled coming down is still usually going to make some noise which is why they have bumper plates and you typically dead lift on a platform...I've also dropped a 1 RM more than once...by this logic, nobody should ever try to 1 RM.

but I'm pretty sure those aren't the types of lifting that PF is targeting with their lunk alarm...since that isn't the general dynamic of folks at FP

If one were to attempt these lifts at PF, they would sound the lunk alarm...these lifts are not allowed...even though they are some of the most beneficial lifts you can possibly do...

These aren't even "hulky" body building movements...I started Olympic lifting in high school as a track and field sprinter. These are traditional fitness/athletic movements...banning them really is absurd. Calling people who do them "lunks" is ridiculous and just furthers a stereotype...

I'm a cycling enthusiast...hardly a "lunk"...

heck - I can't even get a set of 15lb dumbbells at my gym (not a PF)...because they keep getting borrowed by the other side (it is divided up into general and female, and the female tends to be less used so I go there)
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It's not high school, I don't need to be told that I "fit in." It's fine to not join a gym if you're not comfortable but I don't need affirmations on my workout equipment.

Lunk alarm. Lunk alarm....
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I seriously don't see any problem with this? I mean why demonize certain foods? Pizza is amazing. If you think your diet always have to be broccoli's and boiled cabbages, well, have fun with that. Also there are people that go to gym for maintenance, or gains, not everyone is cutting.

giphy.gif

I'm not saying pizza is the demon. I'm just saying that I feel that eating pizza at the gym is odd. Come work out and then go home and enjoy your pizza. Or eat pizza and then come to the gym. Pizza is amazing but I don't think it belongs in a gym.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I seriously don't see any problem with this? I mean why demonize certain foods? Pizza is amazing. If you think your diet always have to be broccoli's and boiled cabbages, well, have fun with that. Also there are people that go to gym for maintenance, or gains, not everyone is cutting.

giphy.gif

I'm not saying pizza is the demon. I'm just saying that I feel that eating pizza at the gym is odd. Come work out and then go home and enjoy your pizza. Or eat pizza and then come to the gym. Pizza is amazing but I don't think it belongs in a gym.

i think you are seeing workout as the only way of losing weight somehow, -the only reason why people go to gyms.

Well lets say "some" people workout to increase their cardio levels, increase their muscle mass, athleticism, overall health etc.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    The judgemental tone of the OP and some others is exactly why people who are out of shape or heavy are afraid to go to gyms. Who the *kitten* cares if someone eats pizza once a month at the gym? I can eat an entire large pizza in one sitting and rock the *kitten* out of my tiny bikini. Why don't we just stop judging people we don't even know? They're at the gym instead of sitting at home on the couch watching tv. I applaud them.

I know they aren't at home on the couch watching tv because they are at the gym eating pizza.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with a gym trying to draw in people. My gym - LA Fitness has customer appreciation days and usually offer some type of "healthy" treat. I would not eat pizza at the gym for 1 single reason: EWW Gyms are disgusting, dirty cesspools and the thought of potentially consuming some of those germs, literally makes my stomach churn. I understand you likely aren't eating on the workout floor... lol but just the thought is gross. And pizza is a food group for me, I'm not one to snub free pizza. If I could console my ridiculous brain enough that no sweat or other drippings contaminated the cheesy delight - I'd definitely grab a slice.

But I'm 100% not judging anyone that does participate, I just have issues apparently haha. To each their own I say :) And if free pizza continues to keep them joined to a gym - win.

• BobbyLively1961
    BobbyLively1961 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Never been there on pizza day and don't think I have missed anything!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I have to admit even though it's wrong the best I have seen , was a lady sitting in the massage chair , with a plate full of pizza , shoveling it in like a conveyor belt while watching the tv ! I admit I started laughing !

Wow. Do people even get a membership for the equipment anymore?

Okay first of all, to use a massage chair you have to be a black card member. wtf is wrong with wanting to use one after a workout? second of all, not every PF franchise particiates in pizza and bagels. Mine does not. I get in there, do my workout, and go home. I dont use the black card spa, I bought a black card membership so I can go to any PF in the US and bring a guest. which btw, the guests don't have access to the black card spa.
This discussion has been closed.