Planet Fitness or Planet Fatness?

Options

Replies

• PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.

It's pretty, much a; "beginners" gym! It servers, it's purpose!

SERVERS>....pizza servers!!! Ha! But I agree. Sounds like a good place to start for some. I am a member at something that could very easily be a planet fitness plus a squat rack minus pizza day.

I think PF has a lot to offer. They have everything I need for my workouts.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.

SERVERS>....pizza servers!!! Ha! But I agree. Sounds like a good place to start for some. I am a member at something that could very easily be a planet fitness plus a squat rack minus pizza day.

Good catch!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the pizza fitness plan varies by location as well.

I think squat racks at PF are not the norm...I've never seen them at any of the PF locations in my area. I don't doubt that some have them, but I don't get the impression that it's the norm.
    “Our clubs don’t have equipment like squat racks and Olympic benches. Our dumbbells only go up to 80 pounds.”
    ~McCall Gosselin PF Director of Public Relations

from this article...

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options

I think PF has a lot to offer. They have everything I need for my workouts.

And pizza too...if you're in the mood.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It is their "thing". I do not fault them because in moderation pizza is food and a carb. And honestly If It Fits then what is the issue. (Would you rather it be Cake, or Beer, or Alcohol?) Personally, I am not a Planet Person, I have other issues with them, I need free weights.

But if their members enjoy it. It builds brand loyalty, maybe some friendships, and hopefully they preach healthy diets, then more power to them.

Having used a PF as a secondary cardio gym at one point, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that many, if not most people there aren't practicing any kind of dietary moderation or "fitting it in" to their calories. I could say that about most gyms I've ever belonged to though...
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious. Do PF gyms have skipping ropes in a variety of lengths, bars for publicly failing at pull-ups, and punchbags, though?
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It is their "thing". I do not fault them because in moderation pizza is food and a carb. And honestly If It Fits then what is the issue. (Would you rather it be Cake, or Beer, or Alcohol?) Personally, I am not a Planet Person, I have other issues with them, I need free weights.

But if their members enjoy it. It builds brand loyalty, maybe some friendships, and hopefully they preach healthy diets, then more power to them.

Having used a PF as a secondary cardio gym at one point, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that many, if not most people there aren't practicing any kind of dietary moderation or "fitting it in" to their calories. I could say that about most gyms I've ever belonged to though...

This one guy yesterday ate around 4 pieces of pizza. Let's say each piece was 250 cal ×4=1000. He worked out maybe for like a half hour. Idk how 1000 cals within 45 mins fits into his calories.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the pizza fitness plan varies by location as well.

I think squat racks at PF are not the norm...I've never seen them at any of the PF locations in my area. I don't doubt that some have them, but I don't get the impression that it's the norm.
    “Our clubs don’t have equipment like squat racks and Olympic benches. Our dumbbells only go up to 80 pounds.”
    ~McCall Gosselin PF Director of Public Relations

from this article...

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym

The sad truth about that article and the PF business model. They are just sheering the sheep.

excerpt and observation from the article:

At Planet Fitness, it’s always January. They drive away the lifters who would be expensive to accommodate, in favor of those who’re least likely to swipe their cards more than a few times a month. Many, I suspect, don’t swipe their cards at all; the $10 monthly charge seems a small price to keep alive the dream of getting in shape.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options

This one guy yesterday ate around 4 pieces of pizza. Let's say each piece was 250 cal ×4=1000. He worked out maybe for like a half hour. Idk how 1000 cals within 45 mins fits into his calories.

maybe he hadn't eaten all day because of schedule and that was an opportunity for him....

So you don't eat all day so you can go to the gym and eat.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options

Not to mention what four slices of pizza will do to your blood sugar and insulin levels. Just because you burned the calories off doesn't mean the after effects on your body are completely offset.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

maybe he hadn't eaten all day because of schedule and that was an opportunity for him....

So you don't eat all day so you can go to the gym and eat.
    I can see how that could happen.

For example, maybe the mad rush of getting the kids to school and yourself to work on time meant you only had time to grab a cereal bar, or maybe nothing at all, then you didn't have time for lunch. However, because you knew PF had pizza today, you went there and did a bit of exercise instead of going straight home and ordering pizza delivery.

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    It's only once a month -_-

And then there is bagel Tuesdays. Lets not forget.

Yeah ok twice a month.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Is it Good pizza? I've always been curious. Because the worst thing I can think of is having sh***y pizza while smelling gym smell and then trying to do a workout. Maybe it would be ok if I could do the workout without smelling the pizza (and being distracted by tummy rumbles), kill it, then eat good pizza....ya.. I could get on board with that.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can you eat pizza and still be fit & healthy? YES, of course you can.
    However, no matter which way you twist it, there is nothing healthy about pizza. It's nutritionally poor.
    And for that reason it has no business getting served up at a gym.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    Is there a purple pancake day? Please someone say "Yes...pancakes, but just once a month."
This discussion has been closed.