Planet Fitness or Planet Fatness?

Options

Replies

• PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    While we're judging people at planet fitness . . . . why do so many people wipe down the wrong machine? I see people get off the machine, walk over to the sanitizer, go to a different machine (usually one right next to the on they were on) and wipe it down. And, that is why I wipe my machine down both before and after I use it.

I've noticed that too. Aren't you suppose to wipe after you use it and move on to a new machine?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    kaizaku wrote: »
    They use that as bait to bring in and keep the useless dreamers who wants to lose weight. I heard most of the planet fitness members get easily intimidated by people who actually work out hard.

I've "heard" a lot of things in life. Doesn't make them true. Maybe it depends on the individual location, but as far as I can tell, PF is just another chain gym. It's cheap, convenient, and it has the basics. They have a cheesy marketing scheme, but no one takes it seriously. The same types of people who go to all the other gyms I've been to also go to PF. They even have big-muscled grunters dead-lifting back in the free weights. Nobody cares. Plenty of judgmental folks up in there, too. You'd probably fit right in. ;)

I probably would, since me and pizza tend to go hand in hand lol :=)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    While we're judging people at planet fitness . . . . why do so many people wipe down the wrong machine? I see people get off the machine, walk over to the sanitizer, go to a different machine (usually one right next to the on they were on) and wipe it down. And, that is why I wipe my machine down both before and after I use it.

I've noticed that too. Aren't you suppose to wipe after you use it and move on to a new machine?

I'm sure they just forgot which machine they were on. Be grateful they are wiping it down with sanitizer at all. There was an old guy at my gym who would just wipe the machine down with his sweaty towel!!! I finally took paper towels and the spray bottle to him and said "Could you please use the sanitizer and clean towels? I really don't want to workout in your sweat!" He looked shocked. LOL. Not sure if he ever changed his habits permanently but the rest of that workout he used the sprayer and the paper towels.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    It's only once a month -_-

And then there is bagel Tuesdays. Lets not forget.

So? They offer food 2 days out of an entire month... It seems to be a working business strategy for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I take issue with much of what PF represents, but really the pizza thing doesn't bother me...though my guess is that it's sub par pizza...but then again, I'm kind of a snob that way...

I used to belong to a Jewish Community Center...loved that gym, it's too bad that the commute just came to be super annoying. They didn't offer free food, but they did have a nice deli in the main foyer and since my wife and I were working out in the evening, it was nice to just grab dinner and take it home for us and the kids. In the summer they grilled hot dogs and burgers out by the pool which was always nice. On Sunday mornings they had a "daddy and me" gym time and I used to take my oldest to (he was 3 at the time) and afterwards they had free bagels which was our breakfast.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I have to admit even though it's wrong the best I have seen , was a lady sitting in the massage chair , with a plate full of pizza , shoveling it in like a conveyor belt while watching the tv ! I admit I started laughing !

Wow. Do people even get a membership for the equipment anymore?
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Katleskin wrote: »
    Ugh, eating (anything) in a room full of the stench of other people's sweat, feet and farts? I'll pass thanks. Would no more eat in a gym than I would make a sammich in a public bathroom.

corrected for spelling: sammich :D
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    So today is free pizza Monday at the gym. I just can't wrap my head around eating pizza at the gym. I've been a member for 3 years and this is the first time I've come to the gym on pizza day. It's crazy packed up in here. Can't tell if people are here to workout or eat. I know it's a judgement free zone and all but I can't not judge people for eating while working out.

I cant' tell what is bothering you most here.

That the gym is packed?
    That people eat pizza and it's a 'bad' food?
    That they are socializing at a social event?
    ????

I'm not bothered. Just stating observations.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    They're carbing up before they hit the squat rack. Oh wait.....my bad, no squat racks. :o

Is this truth? PF has no squat rack? They serve pizza once a month and have no squat racks. Seriously people. This is not a gym.

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Last night I got home and made a pizza. 139 grams of dough, 1.4 oz Kraft Pizza cheese, 29 g of bell peppers and onions, 10 g of chia, and 0.5 oz of meatballs. It was about 500 calories. I followed that with ~150 in pre workout snacks. Then I did my cardio workout and burned 1000. Following that I had my post workout meal of 224 calories. I burned more calories than I ate after work yesterday. What's so wrong with having pizza at the gym?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

It's pretty, much a; "beginners" gym! It serves, it's purpose!
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    tjiddy wrote: »
    Bunch of Judgy McJudgersons

Hey if you want a judgement free zone head on over to Pizza Fitness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I have to admit even though it's wrong the best I have seen , was a lady sitting in the massage chair , with a plate full of pizza , shoveling it in like a conveyor belt while watching the tv ! I admit I started laughing !

Wow. Do people even get a membership for the equipment anymore?

Honestly, PFs business model doesn't really cater to people are serious about their nutrition and fitness...that's not to say that there aren't people there who aren't committed to their nutrition and fitness working out there, but that's not really what the business model caters to.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »

I said it earlier in the thread... But it depends on the PF. Mine had 2 squat racks and a huge free weight section. The one down the road was a different owner and only had free weights. YMMV depending on the location.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the pizza fitness plan varies by location as well.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't believe, that most're eating dinner & then coming to, the gym to; eat again & thus it, might be a convenience factor for; many working/busy folks! A night when, they don't have; to cook & get a free meal of, course depending on how many slices'd be necessary to; constitute as a meal for them or possibly just, a snack that; they didn't have to buy/prepare Many're plausibly, just substituting something that; they would've had anyway prior or even afterwards!

As for the gym offering it, it's just another; competitive perk!

This blows my mind.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options

My PF has 2 squat racks. They are hardly ever unoccupied.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options

It's pretty, much a; "beginners" gym! It servers, it's purpose!

SERVERS>....pizza servers!!! Ha! But I agree. Sounds like a good place to start for some. I am a member at something that could very easily be a planet fitness plus a squat rack minus pizza day.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It is their "thing". I do not fault them because in moderation pizza is food and a carb. And honestly If It Fits then what is the issue. (Would you rather it be Cake, or Beer, or Alcohol?) Personally, I am not a Planet Person, I have other issues with them, I need free weights.

But if their members enjoy it. It builds brand loyalty, maybe some friendships, and hopefully they preach healthy diets, then more power to them.
This discussion has been closed.