Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Detox/Cleanse

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I believe in them,,, they work.

No, they don't.

I was hoping @KANGOOJUMPS was being sarcastic. :/

Entirely possible!! Let's go with optimism :)
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I think the detox/cleanse things are just snake oil....a waste of money. Its no coincidence that these detox/cleanse regimes include not consuming toxins (fast food, alcohol, caffeine, etc). All it does is sell you the idea that some special tea or colon cleansing herb is doing the detox when actually it's the pause in consuming toxins and allowing your body's natural systems to catch up that is doing all the work.

While I agree with you that detox/cleanses are a waste of money scam... I'm curious at your comment seeming to indicate that fast food, alcohol, and caffeine are toxins. What specifically is toxic about these substances?

Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc.

Natural, non-processed foods are full of chemicals which are also toxins. Should I not eat an apple because cyanide?

First time I've ever seen anyone argue that alcohol is no more toxic than an apple........beggars belief. Besides the trace cyanide is in the apple seeds which hardly anyone actually eats..I certainly don't eat apple seeds.

The point is that your body has every thing it needs to "cleanse" any "toxins" you may ingest. You do not need to drink a tea, or swallow a pill, or stick something to the bottom of your feet for this to happen. If your body was not doing it, you would be in immediate need of a doctor, not a tea.

Why are you preaching to the choir? I distinctly remember calling these products "snake oil" and a waste of money.

You're the one claiming there are any "toxins" to be scared of in the first place. Which there aren't.

Er, no I didn't claim there were any toxins "to be scared of." I said that it's no coincidence that these detox products require users to abstain from toxins such as alcohol, caffeine and fast food so that people think it is the product doing the detoxifying when it fact it is their own body catching up.

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

There are no toxins. Claiming there are inherently indicates one should be "scared of them."

dytptqayb5hm.jpg

Thank you, this is almost verbatim what I was going to post.

• Macy9336
    Options

ok, but i don't think that anyone is arguing with most of that. but i think it's the notion that your body is full of toxins from fast food, caffeine, etc. that people are arguing against.

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    As far as fast food goes...there are lots of issues... sodium nitrates which are linked to cancer, multiple dyes also linked to cancer, trans fats like palm oil that clog your arteries, peroxides for bleaching that cause allergies, BHA and BHT preservatives linked to cancer, anti fungals that use benzene which damage your thyroid..the list goes on and on. Most natural non processed food do not have toxins to the same level of exposure.

You need to spend less time on the FoodBabe website...

And Mercola. Lots less time.

I said in another thread something about vetting your sources, Macy. You'd be far happier if you did.

I don't think I need a source to tell me that an apple has fewer toxins than a bottle of vodka...you might...but that is another story.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I believe in them,,, they work.

No, they don't.

I was hoping @KANGOOJUMPS was being sarcastic. :/

She's not. Seriously.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As far as fast food goes...there are lots of issues... sodium nitrates which are linked to cancer, multiple dyes also linked to cancer, trans fats like palm oil that clog your arteries, peroxides for bleaching that cause allergies, BHA and BHT preservatives linked to cancer, anti fungals that use benzene which damage your thyroid..the list goes on and on. Most natural non processed food do not have toxins to the same level of exposure.

You need to spend less time on the FoodBabe website...

And Mercola. Lots less time.

I said in another thread something about vetting your sources, Macy. You'd be far happier if you did.

I don't think I need a source to tell me that an apple has fewer toxins than a bottle of vodka...you might...but that is another story.

Never mind. I'll off to make a drink...

Apple-tini?
    Red Bull and Vodka?
    Shamrock Shake?
  • Macy9336
    Options

A notion that I did NOT espouse in any way. I was asked to list what could possibly be toxic about alcohol, caffeine and fast food. So I did. I never for a second said that we're all laden with toxins. It was all about what these products tell people (suckers) to do whilst taking their products.

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

How is a person supposed to interpret that?!?

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.
  • Macy9336
    Options

Your body doesn't need to catch up.

Nit pick much? You do know they sell these as hangover cures? Right?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So, you didn't say this?

"Are you seriously asking this? Alcohol is highly toxic and a carcinogen. Caffeine is an addictive chemical. Both alcohol and caffeine are mood altering drugs. Fast food is full of random artificial chemicals which are also toxins...preservatives, flavourings, dyes, trans fats, etc."

How is a person supposed to interpret that?!?

Ok, I said that these detox diets tell people to abstain from caffeine, alcohol and fast food...as "toxins" I am asked what could possibly be toxic? So I answer the question with what the detox company would say... i thought it was a dumb question which is why I asked if they were serious.

Your thought process did not play through to the answer you gave.