Embarassing

Options

Replies

• ashmullo788
    ashmullo788 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So the belly button thing is not weird or embarrassing. I get that too sometimes. You just have to make sure you clean it out good in the shower. I mostly have this happen when I sweat a lot. Make sure to dry it good after and I've found that sometimes I will put my body oil there to help with the smell. It's not all the time this happens to me but it can do it for weeks at a time and then stop. I don't know what causes it because I've been bigger most of my life. In fact I weigh more now then when it started doing the smell thing last year. It is not doing it right now but I will put soap in there and use a Q-Tip to clean it out. The diet is what really makes it stink. I hope this helps you feel less embarrassed and I also hope it helps you with your question.

Thanks for your advice and reply i will start to clean it out more regular i get showers so maybe theres just not enough water getting in to clean it out and also my belly button is covered by fat on my belly roll most of the time so i thought maybe its that thanks
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, for your added weight, air isn't getting to areas of your skin (belly buttons, folds, under breasts, etc) and bacteria has probably taken hold. Bathe the area(s) with an antibacterial soap. Allow the areas to dry well before putting on clothing, and wear clothing that "breathes" lets air in. Some folks have had some success applying a crystal deodorant over the afflicted areas as well. (may have to be reapplied occasionally over the day if the condition is bad
    Hope this helps
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So the belly button thing is not weird or embarrassing. I get that too sometimes. You just have to make sure you clean it out good in the shower. I mostly have this happen when I sweat a lot. Make sure to dry it good after and I've found that sometimes I will put my body oil there to help with the smell. It's not all the time this happens to me but it can do it for weeks at a time and then stop. I don't know what causes it because I've been bigger most of my life. In fact I weigh more now then when it started doing the smell thing last year. It is not doing it right now but I will put soap in there and use a Q-Tip to clean it out. The diet is what really makes it stink. I hope this helps you feel less embarrassed and I also hope it helps you with your question.

Thanks for your advice and reply i will start to clean it out more regular i get showers so maybe theres just not enough water getting in to clean it out and also my belly button is covered by fat on my belly roll most of the time so i thought maybe its that thanks

I edited my post up above to mention baby wipes and talcum powder to keep it dry.

But my vote would be canestan and hydrogen peroxide, as already mentioned.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think clotrimazole is what I used to treat my tinea. Sounds about right.

Sorry about your belly button OP. If it's a yeast thing it can be cleared up
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nystatin powder...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It is probably a yeast infection. I used to get them really badly under my stomach 'apron'. Over the counter athlete's foot remedies work pretty well. I used Canestan on mine (I think it is diflucan?).

This would be my guess. Topical antifungal cream can help too.

Yup, that's what Canestan is. It's marketed for athlete's foot but I've used it on myself as well as for skin thrush on my kids' faces and bottoms. It's a cure-all, but you need to keep taking it for 2 weeks after the rash is gone or it will just come back.

Awesome--Clotrimazole is what we call it here in the US.

I also second the peroxide and q-tip. I'm not overweight but still have this problem in my navel from time to time (there's scar tissue from a surgery that makes it hard to get it dry.)

Canestan is just a brand of clotrimazole I think (Canada). The other one I mentioned is for oral thrush I think. Got them mixed up. Or might be making stuff up... sleep has been lacking this week.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stinky belly button? Well we have heard things that you wouldn't believe. This is totally mild. Try cleansing the area and drying it well a couple of times each day. Maybe use a hair dryer on low heat to get it free of excess moisture. Apply cornstarch or a talc free baby powder to help with any moisture build up from sweat. Losing weight will help because you will rid your self of that fat roll over time. I will add here, don't scrub the area, just do a gentle wash with mild soap and water so you don't irritate the skin. If you want to take a less costly route use a mixture of 3 tablespoons of vinegar to 2 oz of water, or use a tablespoon of baking soda to 3 oz of water. Just put it in a squeeze bottle and squeeze it over the area. Rinse with plain water, dry very well.
  • chrisswitzer14
    chrisswitzer14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have this issue some times. It seems to be worse, if I've had quite a bit of sugar. I agree that it is some type of yeast infection. I typically clean it good and try to really watch the sugar intake.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, you could start taking probiotics. We have a product here in Aus called "candex", you'd have something similar over there.
  • sarah4284
    sarah4284 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I've openly admitted to eating too little fat and completely losing my libido, drowning a jar of peanut butter in water so I wouldn't eat it even after throwing it in the trash.....oh mfp. Don't judge me.

I bought peanut butter for the first time in ages the other day... I think I'm going to have to do this so I don't eat the whole jar
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sarah4284 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I've openly admitted to eating too little fat and completely losing my libido, drowning a jar of peanut butter in water so I wouldn't eat it even after throwing it in the trash.....oh mfp. Don't judge me.

I bought peanut butter for the first time in ages the other day... I think I'm going to have to do this so I don't eat the whole jar

Eh. It wasn't my most shining moment. But it kept me from eating a jar of peanut butter and I was desperate not to do that.
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen under my boobs just about every summer *sigh*
    I do the wash with mild unscented soap then make sure you get it really dry. During the day I put cornstarch to keep it dry and at night I use the athletes foot cream. It takes a few days but it usually clears up.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    When I get a rash under my flapdoodle™, I use an antiseptic wash (found in the first aid aisle) in the shower and then apply desitin cream, for about a week or so. That usually clears it up. Might work on yours as well, depending on what it is.

Due to the "TM" after "flapdoodle", I had to look this up. Some hilarious definitions of flapdoodle found here:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flapdoodle&amp=true
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I get a rash under my flapdoodle™, I use an antiseptic wash (found in the first aid aisle) in the shower and then apply desitin cream, for about a week or so. That usually clears it up. Might work on yours as well, depending on what it is.

Due to the "TM" after "flapdoodle", I had to look this up. Some hilarious definitions of flapdoodle found here:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flapdoodle&amp=true

Didn't even have to scroll and I almost did a spit take.

For the record, this is what I was referencing ...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10522307/belly-fat-cure-diet/p1
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard..... :D
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had something similar, and the peroxide and a Q-tip work well, but sometimes things then feel a little . . . chafed. Neosporin -- an antibacterial ointment -- that has pain control in it really helped with that.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Making sure you wash and then dry properly can help with this. Even without being 'infected' bacteria from your normal body flora will thrive in moist conditions and get a bit smelly. Keeping the area clean and dry can help.

Many people develop fungal growth in areas like this (under breasts, within fat roll creases, groin, under tummy flaps). A few people have mentioned creams for this. A pharmacist can advise if this is suitable for you.

It's okay to feel embarrassed but don't let that stop you from addressing the problem.