Do you really only have one "soulmate"?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I believe that people've unrealistic assertions concerning, the context of; what a soulmate's & thus, either don't find; them and/or don't realize that, they've! For many the word's just a fanciful description of, a compatible relationship that; just blossomed via convenience/happenstance!

For instance when I was attempting to find someone I, began within a radius of; a maximum of 10 miles because that's what was convenient for me, never did I expect to find my soulmate within; 10 miles & thus I wasn't seeking my soulmate, the hottest guy in the world etc. but instead just a nice guy that finishes last!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    I believe we become our own soulmates when we learn to love and accept ourselves for who we are. No one can make you feel whole, only you can do that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I don't believe in "soulmates", in fact I despise that term. I also hate the "you complete me" phrase. UGH...so corny.
    I've used it only once............when I got my Integra GSR back in the '96.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    I believe that everyone only has one soulmate but can have several life partners.

I believe a soulmate is the person that you are perfect for and they are perfect for you. However, I don't believe soulmates always find each other or even always like / are interested in each other. I believe soulmate relationships can end up star-crossed or even unrequited (you love the soulmate, but they don't feel the same way about you). They can also end up being perfect love story type relationships. If they actually do get together, I believe real soulmate relationships rarely, if ever, result in divorce.

I believe a life partner is someone that you are very compatible with and love, though they may not be your perfect/ideal soulmate. Life partner relationships can often be very successful and even end up in a lifelong marriage, but are subject to the possibilities of divorce, etc that any relationship can encounter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    flrancho wrote: »
    I believe that everyone only has one soulmate but can have several life partners.

I believe a soulmate is the person that you are perfect for and they are perfect for you. However, I don't believe soulmates always find each other or even always like / are interested in each other. I believe soulmate relationships can end up star-crossed or even unrequited (you love the soulmate, but they don't feel the same way about you). They can also end up being perfect love story type relationships. If they actually do get together, I believe real soulmate relationships rarely, if ever, result in divorce.

I believe a life partner is someone that you are very compatible with and love, though they may not be your perfect/ideal soulmate. Life partner relationships can often be very successful and even end up in a lifelong marriage, but are subject to the possibilities of divorce, etc that any relationship can encounter.
    This I can possibly go with. With over 7 billion people in the world and the average person only having about 5-8 serious relationships in their lives, one isn't even seeing a fraction of a possible "soulmate".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't believe that each person we marry is considered a soul mate that's the reason for the divorce. I never considered my ex-husband a soulmate to me. We never really clicked in the way that you do with a soulmate. I do believe, however, we can have soulmates all over the world and not just in one place and never know them - if that makes sense. It has always seemed odd to me that my only soulmate would just happen to live in the same town or close by to me.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Nah I don't really believe in soulmates. I have had two very deeps loves in my life and they were SO different. I think people come into your life to teach you and help you grow. Some are romantic some are not.

Having said that... one of the two loves, if I could go back in time I would have walked away the day I met him. It was a lesson I didn't need to know.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    I don't believe in soulmates. The older I get, the more I find the idea manipulative. One person trying to get the other not to leave them because "we belong together" rather than "we can work through this". I think it also gives people who believe it unrealistic expectations of how much work they may have to put into their relationship (i.e., soulmates = easy). Personally, I'd rather be chosen than fated.

BTW I'm also happily married. :)

This. I'm also married, going on 9 years in October.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    I believe you can have unromantic soul mates too. Idk, I still have hope to find my romantic one someday. It's probably all just a fairy tale lie we've been told since childhood though.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I'm not sure what I believe. I just know there's not just one. The concept of love in general is hard for me to put into reasonable, logical sense. I've had one experience where everything was just instant but it didn't work out. Was that a soul mate? Or was I just going through some things and they were just there. We met once since the relationship dissolved and it wasn't the same. Does that mean they weren't a soul mate? I've definitely loved more than one person in my life. I wouldn't say any more or less, just differently. So...I'm undecided. If it's true that a soul mate for you can be one sided and doesn't even mean you are necessarily compatible but you have an unexplained connection that is effortless.....then I guess, yes I believe???? If it's supposed to be someone you're wholly compatible with and mutual then no. I fall into the hopeless romantic category but the older I get the more I understand that "hopeless" part! At this point in time I'm saying no. There's a piece of me that wants soulmates to be true though.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    I don't believe in soul mates. I think there are any number of people out there who can be a perfect fit for your personality, and emotional and sexual needs. I think it's up to the individuals involved to both be willing to put in the work to make it last. It takes two, and it takes work. There are no guarantees. That being said, I believe in God and that he has a plan for all of us... but also that we have free will and we can be really stupid and miss what's right in front of us for various reasons. I almost did.
  • Savage__AF
    Savage__AF Posts: 96 Member
  • Savage__AF
    Savage__AF Posts: 96 Member
    I used to never believe in them either. I believed you are compatable with some and not with others. Then I met the one who I thought was mine. And it changed every thought I had on a "soulmate" it even changed my view on cosmic theories as well.. like the "world brining two people together" and all that *kitten*. I know quite a bit is psychological. And after some research , and thought, I now believe you can have more than one . some are partners some are life friends. Maybe the world does bring people together even if it's for a short period of time. Maybe it's providential. Work and being able to adjust is always needed to maintain any relatioship. Some are fortunate to have that bond for life, some are not. We should be grateful for any amount of beneficial time spent with loved ones.. soul mates or not, learn to never take that time for granted. The end always comes too soon.

You are correct
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    [[ learn to never take that time for granted. The end always comes too soon.

My God, this is so true.

I won't spill my soul on one post but yeah, if you've ever lost someone with whom ...... well, it's soul crushing.
  • fabcharley
    fabcharley Posts: 57 Member
    I don't believe in soulmates in a lover sense..... I have a best friend and she is my soul mate :) I believe in the relationship sense in having a companion..., and yes I'm still looking my companion!
  • vanessalee832017
    vanessalee832017 Posts: 10 Member
    I dont think so because soulmate leaves .and your hurt
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would not use the word soulmate but I feel that some of us connect at a deep level with one person in a way that we just won't with another person. It does not necessarily mean you die if they die or whatever but you just don't find that feeling with other people.

I feel that way with my dh. I have never met anyone else that I connected with so much, so fast. Really unusual for me. We've been together 17 years and been through a lot together. It isn't magic. If he was gone I doubt I would find that type of connection again in a relationship.