Any success with that?
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    brittaut wrote: »
    Any success with that?

seriously - what is a reverse diet?
  • brittaut
    brittaut Posts: 20 Member
    Haha. From what I read about it, its basically eating a huge meal for breakfast, not necessarily breakfast menu items, and a smaller lunch and a very small dinner. Example:

Breakfast:
    Chicken breast, boiled potato and steamed vegetables.
    Lunch:
    Tuna salad sandwich

Afternoon Snack:
    Tofu berry smoothie

Dinner:
    Shredded wheat with orange juice
  • brittaut
    Yes, one of the articles I read did explain that part about increasing calorie intake. Im gonna try it, as Im not a fan of most traditional breakfast items. So Ive been known to skip it....but chicken for breakfast, that I can do. I typically dont eat enough to lose any weight. My body is used to being in starvation mode. I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet and that is hard to do sometimes. I was just curious about it mostly, wondering if anybody had any success on that diet. Thank you for your input.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    "Reverse" diet? That's normal, x3 squares a day. "Reverse diet" instinctually leads me to assume eating in excess/you're going for weight gain.

I've tried eating my largest meal for breakfast and smallest for dinner. For several months. I saw no difference in weight loss. FYI.

The folks here on MFP helped set my head straight. CICO; meal order is irrelevant as long as your dinner is several hours before bedtime and you weigh yourself before dinner.
  • brittaut
    Thank you. Im relatively new to dieting and how it works. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    OP look up Layne Norton reverse dieting. He has blogs, a podcast and a service on his website ($9 to figure macros) for reverse dieting.

Hope that helps.
  • brittaut
    Starvation mode as in the body storing food for fat. Thats how my nutritionist described it to me. Is that I wasnt eating enough or consuming enough calories to be able to lose weight the healthy way. But yes, calorie deficit is the key.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    One can also reverse diet in maintenance to increase ones maintenance calories.

ie: my maintenance calories, (I hit the trifecta of being petite, older, and quite sedentary when not exercising) are 1200. It worked fine for a while after hitting maintenance, but it gave little room for fun, so I started slowly increasing by 25 cals a day, every couple of weeks, until I got to 1375. That's where I started a slow gain so backed off to 1350.

Cheers, h.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    as long as your dinner is several hours before bedtime and you weigh yourself before dinner.
    No and no.

You can eat right before you go to sleep as long as you don't have gastric issues. I eat right before bed and I lose just fine.

Many on MFP (including me) recommend weighing first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. That cuts out the variability of recent food/liquid intake.

Yes and yes. I'm glad you lose just fine, so do I, but I lose faster doing what I'm doing than doing what you're doing.
    It's more predictable to assume you can pee in the morning than poo (gross I know, but it's true and it's "fake weight." Some care, some don't. Personally I want accuracy when I weigh in.)

I didn't say you can't lose weight if you eat before bed. I'm saying not to because A.) My doctor tells me to eat dinner several hours before bed to promote healthy weight, B.) The body rests better while not having broken sleep or discomfort and C.) Your body operates better and feels better on a proper schedule with proper rest... Fact. What your shift is is irrelevant, schedule is very relevant.