Reverse Diet

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    brittaut wrote: »
    So what are factors that involve people gaining weight and being overweight or obese? Not enough exercise for their calorie intake? Now I have many questions, lol.
    Going over calorie intake period. As long as I don't go over my calorie deficit, I'll lose weight without exercise. It's better for your overall health, but for weight loss it's not necessary.
  • brittaut
    brittaut Posts: 20 Member
    So what are factors that involve people gaining weight and being overweight or obese? Not enough exercise for their calorie intake? Now I have many questions, lol.

So many different things can come into play for weight gain, and it really will vary between people. For me personally-it was just not understanding how calories actually worked-more specifically what those words 'serving size' actually meant :p Once I figured that out though, losing the extra 50lbs was a fairly easy process.

Thats amazing. Congratulations! I hope its fairly easy for me too! I've never been successful but I've never really counted calories either. This app has helped me with that. I just joined a month ago. Did it good for 2 weeks and quit because I was trying too hard to figure out what foods I could eat. Which became hard with having a family. Thought I couldnt eat a lot of stuff.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member

So many different things can come into play for weight gain, and it really will vary between people. For me personally-it was just not understanding how calories actually worked-more specifically what those words 'serving size' actually meant :p Once I figured that out though, losing the extra 50lbs was a fairly easy process.

This^ portion control was a huge obstacle for me at first. I actually counted out chips until I could eyeball a serving LMAO
    So glad I do CICO now ♥
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Yes, I would agree, keeping a record is vey helpful in working out what will work for you. Weighing all solids and measuring all liquids will help you learn about portion sizes. Just remember that not all food entries on mfp are accurate, check the label to make sure it looks right.ooo
  • brittaut
    pamfgil wrote: »
    Yes, I would agree, keeping a record is vey helpful in working out what will work for you. Weighing all solids and measuring all liquids will help you learn about portion sizes. Just remember that not all food entries on mfp are accurate, check the label to make sure it looks right.ooo

Yes! I did learn to watch the labels and what this app says. One of my first entries was a salad and the app told me it was some ridiculous amount and very high in sugar.
  • andreatm777
    andreatm777 Posts: 6 Member
    There have been some recent studies that show its not only about the math (expend more than you consume). Several studies have been replicated that have a control group who eats, say 1500 calories, and a test group who eats the same amount of calories (even the same foods) but they eat the larger portions in the morning and lighter portions (meals) in the evening. The test groups always lose more weight. Here is one of the studies.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v37/n4/full/ijo2012229a.html
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It took me a few months to get in the swing of calorie counting and identifying correct entries, and after i nailed that i finally relented and started using a food scale for everything i ate. It might seem overwhelming at first, but i promise you it will become like second nature soon enough.
    It takes me not even a few minutes to prelog my day every morning.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    There have been some recent studies that show its not only about the math (expend more than you consume). Several studies have been replicated that have a control group who eats, say 1500 calories, and a test group who eats the same amount of calories (even the same foods) but they eat the larger portions in the morning and lighter portions (meals) in the evening. The test groups always lose more weight. Here is one of the studies.

Will read the link, but what about those of us who don't eat at all in the morning?

eta: can't access the link without paying, so going to pass on reading it.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2017

Will read the link, but what about those of us who don't eat at all in the morning?

We're screwed :weary:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

We're screwed :weary:

:D It still weirds my husband out that I don't eat in the morning, he's a definite breakfast first thing person!
  • Christine_72
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    But you stated:
    CICO; meal order is irrelevant as long as your dinner is several hours before bedtime and you weigh yourself before dinner.

This is definitely not a requirement for everyone, even though it may be how things work best for you.
    I said for many it is essential. I didn't say one size fits all.
    Let me restate it then.

You said:

"CICO; meal order is irrelevant as long as your dinner is several hours before bedtime." This statement implies that if you eat right before going to sleep, you're doing something incorrectly, which isn't accurate.

As outlined above, I eat right until bedtime. This is when I prefer to eat, and have saved up calories in my day to allow for this. I also lost 75 in under a year several years ago and reached my goal weight eating in this manner.

So to clarify for those reading along:

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight management and is a matter of personal preference only. :)

I said nothing wrong, I've reread what I said many times. I'm not responsible for your interpretation of what I'm saying, I'm only responsible what I'm saying... And what I'm saying is, again, eating just before bed increases odds of discomfort, broken sleep, and yes, weight gain.
    There's really no misinterpretation of what you're saying, here. You're claiming that eating before bed can be a direct cause of weight gain, even if someone is under their calorie allotment for the day. And I'm saying that's malarkey.

If you have evidence of this other than your N=1, I'd welcome the opportunity to read it.

Otherwise, I will continue to uphold the fact that meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. :)

You're not misinterpreting, now... You're flat out lying. Where did I ever once say "that eating before bed can be a direct cause of weight gain, even if someone is under their calorie allotment for the day."? AGAIN, the first part of my statement, which you are cherry picking, exaggerating, and distorting, said CICO (calories in, calories out.) Why would I say CICO if CICO was voided in any way by anything? Why, I dunno, you must be bored. All I said was for those on a schedule, we are less likely to wake up mid-slumber due to gaseous discomfort and bathroom breaks.

For me, if i eat too close to bed i do wake up more than usual during the night, and i get up to pee more too. I also weigh higher on the scales the next morning, obviously not fat gain, but undigested food weight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member

Yes! I did learn to watch the labels and what this app says. One of my first entries was a salad and the app told me it was some ridiculous amount and very high in sugar.

Unless it was a salad from a chain or something, you should be inputting all of your ingredients seperately after weighing them. Many salads are high calorie and high sugar.
  • brittaut
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Unless it was a salad from a chain or something, you should be inputting all of your ingredients seperately after weighing them. Many salads are high calorie and high sugar.

Yes, all I had in my salad was romaine lettuce and a few tomatoes. So after that I learned to enter certain things in seperate.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    there is a lot of info and articles on the inter web about reverse dieting, i have not tried it yet because im not at that level yet , but from what i have read its for people that are in contest shape and are extremely lean ripped diced pealed shredded or what every you want to call it, its a way to slowly and carbs and fat back into your diet so you dont gain weight back fast, you may gain some but you still stay lean, then when you reach maintenance calories, you ether stay at maintenance or go into a surplus and try to put on lean muscle, i think its more set up for people that coming off a contest, like bodybuilders, physique, fitness, bikini , people that compete on a very high level of fitness good luck
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Haha. From what I read about it, its basically eating a huge meal for breakfast, not necessarily breakfast menu items, and a smaller lunch and a very small dinner. Example:

Breakfast:
    Chicken breast, boiled potato and steamed vegetables.
    Lunch:
    Tuna salad sandwich

Afternoon Snack:
    Tofu berry smoothie

Dinner:
    Shredded wheat with orange juice

I see nothing wrong with trying it. Go for it and let us know how you like it!
  • andreatm777
    andreatm777 Posts: 6 Member
    @Look_its_Kriss

You raise some good points. The study I linked is only one of many, there was also a well-publicized meta-analysis completed but I can't seem to find it now. The studies I have access to are through my university subscriptions so I am not sure how to link because most of the general population won't have access to scientific journals. Overall, there is a trend in studies investigating this theory of weight loss and it does look promising. In terms of individual differences, those are generally accounted for in the scientific method of the experiment and in the statistical analysis.

Ultimately, everyone must think critically for themselves and hopefully not do so based on one study.
  • brittaut
    rollerjog wrote: »
    there is a lot of info and articles on the inter web about reverse dieting, i have not tried it yet because im not at that level yet , but from what i have read its for people that are in contest shape and are extremely lean ripped diced pealed shredded or what every you want to call it, its a way to slowly and carbs and fat back into your diet so you dont gain weight back fast, you may gain some but you still stay lean, then when you reach maintenance calories, you ether stay at maintenance or go into a surplus and try to put on lean muscle, i think its more set up for people that coming off a contest, like bodybuilders, physique, fitness, bikini , people that compete on a very high level of fitness good luck

That is definitely not me!! Haha.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2017
    So basically what I am reading is, it doesnt really matter what time of day you eat. All that matters is your calorie deficit. And you should lose weight? Granted you are eating the proper foods and not junk. Maybe it would be easier if someone would send me a message and explain it to me, if thats not correct. And in exercising you have to burn more calories than you consume, right?

Your body burns most of the calories you consume doing absolutely nothing other than being alive e.g breathing. It's called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). For my age, height, gender and current weight, my body burns about 1400 calories just being alive. Most people don't stay in bed all day but even without formal exercise they could add a few hundred calories to the number burned in a day. This extra energy expenditure is your TDEE. Mine sits at about 1980 a day without any formal exercise although I have a busy job where I move a lot (not at a desk).

To lose weight I try to eat about 1400-1600 a day in calories. I do not need to burn them all in exercise as my BMR burns off most of the calories with me just being alive. I hope that makes sense. If I ate 1980 a day I would stay at the weight I am, if I ate more I would put on weight and if I eat less calories than my TDEE then I lose weight (over time, you won't get fat with one big meal). If you go to settings and profile in MFP you will find your number. People tend to overestimate exercise calories because it is hard to know an exact number. BMR is fairly accurate, TDEE is not as accurate, but it's a great starting place!

It's super important that you are accurate with logging your food. Everything counts, including drinks. Be honest with everything you consume, food and drinks and I suggest getting a set of scales and weighing your food. I had junk food last night and I eat some chocolate every day. You have to make choices. Imagine if you were budgeting money, you could get an expensive pair of shoes but you might not be able to afford anything else that is expensive for a while. If you have more money (your TDEE is higher or you exercise more) then you have more to spend (more to eat). I can afford some chocolate and junk once in a while.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    heres a link to reverse dieting by Dr layne Norton https://www.biolayne.com/media/videos/video-log/biolayne-video-log-24-reverse-dieting/ this may answer some questions