Reverse Diet

Replies

• brittaut
    brittaut Posts: 20 Member
    This discussion has become slightly rude. Thank you for the advice and whats important. It was a diet that I ran across while looking at different diets. And was merely explaining what I had read about it and was wondering if anyone had any success with it. That was it. This was my first post and probably will be my last. Didnt come here to ridiculed, maybe educated and get some advice from others with more dieting experience than I have.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    "Reverse" diet? That's normal, x3 squares a day. "Reverse diet" instinctually leads me to assume eating in excess/you're going for weight gain.

I've tried eating my largest meal for breakfast and smallest for dinner. For several months. I saw no difference in weight loss. FYI.

The folks here on MFP helped set my head straight. CICO; meal order is irrelevant *snip*.

Unnecessary steps removed.

Unnecessary? You don't have my body. If I eat just before bed, the food sticks to me like glue, I'm too full to sleep 8 straight hours, have to go to the bathroom breaking my sleep (ALWAYS) and/or have gas. Having dinner several hours before bed works for me, especially if on medications.
    I weigh myself in the mornings, so dinner would not only screw up that accuracy, but it would make me too full for breakfast the next morning (which I like) and then after, some of us don't like working out stuffed (it makes us sick.)

What's unnecessary to you is essential to others. Some benefit from schedules and a straight 8 hours of sleep without pee breaks.

I am much different than you, if I don't eat atleast a snack before bed I wake up at 3 or 4 hungry and can't sleep until I eat.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    "Reverse" diet? That's normal, x3 squares a day. "Reverse diet" instinctually leads me to assume eating in excess/you're going for weight gain.

I've tried eating my largest meal for breakfast and smallest for dinner. For several months. I saw no difference in weight loss. FYI.

The folks here on MFP helped set my head straight. CICO; meal order is irrelevant *snip*.

Unnecessary steps removed.

Unnecessary? You don't have my body. If I eat just before bed, the food sticks to me like glue, I'm too full to sleep 8 straight hours, have to go to the bathroom breaking my sleep (ALWAYS) and/or have gas. Having dinner several hours before bed works for me, especially if on medications.
    I weigh myself in the mornings, so dinner would not only screw up that accuracy, but it would make me too full for breakfast the next morning (which I like) and then after, some of us don't like working out stuffed (it makes us sick.)

What's unnecessary to you is essential to others. Some benefit from schedules and a straight 8 hours of sleep without pee breaks.

I am much different than you, if I don't eat atleast a snack before bed I wake up at 3 or 4 hungry and can't sleep until I eat.

My brother's like that too. He's a snacker.
    ...Then again he never eats dinner on time, the same time every night. Just an observation.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    brittaut wrote: »
    This discussion has become slightly rude. Thank you for the advice and whats important. It was a diet that I ran across while looking at different diets. And was merely explaining what I had read about it and was wondering if anyone had any success with it. That was it. This was my first post and probably will be my last. Didnt come here to ridiculed, maybe educated and get some advice from others with more dieting experience than I have.

Mostly these forums / threads are great.

And sometimes a couple people do what they are doing in this thread.

Don't take it personally. It's obviously not about you; they're just doing what they do ...
  • metalmeow1

You're not being ridiculed. I was genuinely confused by what you meant by saying "reverse diet" as were many others. I offered my advice in saying that yes, it turns out I did try it, and no, it didn't help me.
    Stick around, most of the time it's pleasant around here ;)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

MFP's forum participants are a large, diverse group of people who have varied backgrounds/histories/education/goals etc. I've been a part of numerous forums, and hands down the group of people that hang out on MFP are the most solid bunch that I've interacted with, and I learn new things here all the time. Also, MFP has a large group of successful maintainers, which is an incredibly valuable resource.

Along with that though, there will be lots of bunny trails, opinions, disagreements, mis-reading tone, strong feelings about certain topics etc that also happen. It's just part of the experience and the good definitely outweighs any negatives :)

OP I hope you stick around and continue to read through the threads/participate!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Dont forget us Aussies Kriss, it's 10am Monday morning here. It gets awfully lonesome on the forums on Oz time :sad:
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    So basically what I am reading is, it doesnt really matter what time of day you eat. All that matters is your calorie deficit. And you should lose weight? Granted you are eating the proper foods and not junk. Maybe it would be easier if someone would send me a message and explain it to me, if thats not correct. And in exercising you have to burn more calories than you consume, right?
    It doesn't matter what time of day you eat for weight loss. Experiment to find what is most comfortable for you personally for satiety and comfort.

I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% treats. That lets me still eat all of my favorite things in moderation.

Exercise is great but you can lose weight even without exercise. Your body burns calories just by breathing and moving. You need to eat less than your body uses overall and exercise is only a part of that.
  • brittaut
    @brittaut

You are pretty much right, but you can eat junk.
    I lost 117 pounds and i did it while still eating cake, cookies, ice cream, mcdonalds, Etc, you just have to plan ahead and make it work into your calories.

If you are a social butterfly type and you find you go out with friends regularly.
    you can also do a weekly goal.

So it would be your calories that MFP gives you to eat x 7.

since my calories per day are 2000 i would x 7 that number and get 14,000 calories per week... and then if i had a girls night i could eat MORE then 2000 calories as long as by the end of my 7 days i was still under 14,000 calories. make sense?

So i could do

Monday - 1837 calories
    Tuesday - 1837 kcal
    Wednesday - 3500 - Friends night
    Thursday - 1625 kcal
    friday - 1625kcal
    Saturday - 1675 kcal
    Sunday - 1901 kcal
    = 14,000

Yes, that makes sense! I had no clue it worked that way. Haha.
  • crzycatlady1
    Thank you. This is all new to me. I thought I had to be on a special diet, exercise plan, diet pills, ect. to boost my metabolism to lose weight. Lol. :D

We've all been there-back when I started my weight loss phase I had NO idea what the heck I was doing lol.
  • metalmeow1
    edited March 2017
    So basically what I am reading is, it doesnt really matter what time of day you eat. All that matters is your calorie deficit. And you should lose weight? Granted you are eating the proper foods and not junk. Maybe it would be easier if someone would send me a message and explain it to me, if thats not correct. And in exercising you have to burn more calories than you consume, right?

You can eat junk too. I have candy, chips, pizza, donuts etc. and I still lose weight. I just watch my caloric deficit. When I add strength training I'll add more protein, but I'll still eat my ice cream :p
    **Edit**
    To be more precise, I lost 100lbs in 6 months. I drank a lot of water and didn't drive or use the bus, I just biked everywhere. And kept a schedule.
  • brittaut
    So what are factors that involve people gaining weight and being overweight or obese? Not enough exercise for their calorie intake? Now I have many questions, lol.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited March 2017
    So what are factors that involve people gaining weight and being overweight or obese? Not enough exercise for their calorie intake? Now I have many questions, lol.

So many different things can come into play for weight gain, and it really will vary between people. For me personally-it was just not understanding how calories actually worked-more specifically what those words 'serving size' actually meant :p Once I figured that out though, losing the extra 50lbs was a fairly easy process.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I'm a grazer. I ate restaurant food once or twice per day and snacked when I was bored without keeping track. I don't exercise.

It just takes a couple hundred extra calories per day to slowly gain weight and that can add up over the years.

I've lost about 130 pounds over the last 2 years by reducing my calorie intake. I eat Lean Cuisine and steam-in-bag veggies rather than restaurant meals and drink tea when I'm bored. I keep track of everything that goes into my mouth. I still don't exercise in any organized way but I try to move around more.

A good place to start is to log your current way of eating. You can then look back through and see where you might trim some calories by eating smaller portions of calorie-dense foods and/or making satisfying substitutions.