What do you expect from a gym?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Heavy ropes, tires and plyo boxes as well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    geared towards people who are serious about their fitness. Not exactly a planet fitness type place...but there will be something there for everyone.

There will also be plenty of free weights, squat racks and benches because that's what most people who will use our gym want, but thought it might be interesting to see what things other people either love or hate about their gym.

If you already plan to have something for everyone, you've answered your own question with regards to equipment.
    A clean bathroom/locker room is always a good thing.
    Knowledgeable trainers (if you choose to have any at all)
    Good lighting, not too bright, but not dreary
    An open mind to all forms of training(KB, barbell, bodyweight, etc)
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    maybe i should have written that out differently.

i am NOT asking what i should be doing at MY gym. I am simply asking what things you'd expect or want out of a gym or what things you like/dislike about your current gym.

• toned_thugs_n_harmony
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    A scent free policy would be great. This is one reason I built my home gym, and I'm always surprised at the number of people who tell me they are also scent sensitive.

You are the second person to tell me this. I mean, it's not gonna happen (LOL) but I guess i never realized how many people are sensitive to scents.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any gym I will ever belong to will have an Olympic platform for Oly lifts and dead-lifts.

thats a given.

Oh, I wish it were...took me awhile to find a gym (that wasn't a CF box) that not only allows Olympic lifting, but also encourages it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Adequate free weights so that I don't have to wait during non-peak periods: rack, bench, dumbbells, etc.
    Hammer strength machines
    Early hours - at least 5 AM
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    Options
    Any gym I will ever belong to will have an Olympic platform for Oly lifts and dead-lifts.

thats a given.

Oh, I wish it were...took me awhile to find a gym (that wasn't a CF box) that not only allows Olympic lifting, but also encourages it.

one of the main reasons why we are opening our own.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'd like a 24HR Facility, an Ohio Power Bar, Competition Spec'd Bench, a Squat Rack with Safeties but narrow enough to not pinball when I unrack, and a deadlift platform WITH a jack. Please be chalk friendly and update your playlist to play more than the same 40 songs all day long.

Also, name it Training ON Improvement (TONI's)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Assuming you're not a niche gym...

I expect a good array of equipment - some cardio machines, some plate-loaded machines, some free-weight racks/stations, and some functional training areas. I expect a place to stretch. I expect it to be clean and safe. I expect hours that work for people who work normal jobs. I expect the staff to re-rack weights when/as needed. I expect the staff to be smart enough to help when asked, and to keep their mouth shut when appropriate.

Beyond that, it's on me to make the most of the gym.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    plenty of squat racks, power racks, and benching areas. It sucks when you go in one leg day and all the racks are taken up and you have to wait/try to mix up your routine..

What he said. Racks on racks.

"The Dungeon"
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    One of the gyms I go to is open 24/7 365 days a year. Requires an access chip but I love it because I hate when my preferred gym is closed on holidays. Not sure if that is doable for you, but it's something that is a must for me.

And cleanliness, which has already been mentioned. They are always cleaning at my preferred gym, the one I frequent the most. Staff are constantly wiping down equipment, vacuuming, sweeping, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. They even put their little kids to work cleaning mirrors.

Good luck! Not sure about a name. I'd think we'd kind of need to know your area in order to come up with something memorable and attention-getting to your demographics.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I like my gym to be on the smallish side. That said my gym only has 2 ellipticals and it's frustrating because I like to finish my lifting sessions with about 15 minutes of elliptical and they're always taken by the cardio bunnies.

As others have said, plenty of squat racks, benches, free weights. I love, love the smaller barbells with the weights permanently attached (not sure the name of them).
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Great ideas given so far...

-A simple touch- my gym just started offering big containers of wet sani wipes in their own holder for wiping down equipment. I like this since it seems more people wipe down when they don't need to bother to spray a paper towel.
    -It used to be every week, but now I think only ever so often they had 'Free Friend Friday' where you could bring a friend for free. Yes, subject to tour and a quick sales pitch, but it was nice to have that option.
    -Low sales pitches. Advertise your services ( i.e. trainers, lessons, etc.) but don't push. Don't make people want to avoid staff in fear of a sales pitch. I worked with a trainer for a bit and he was awesome, but the sales pitch he gave me constantly made me stop going. If I know what's out there, great, but I don't want a reminder of why I need it or what body parts it would help.
    - Long hours...my gym is open from 4:30 am until midnight.
    - Strict rules ( and enforcement) of kids using equipment/machines. I have a hard time seeing people wait for equipment when a child is playing on it. If I could find a kid free gym, I'd love it. ( Mine has an awesome daycare, but some parents just can't say no to their kids I guess?)
    -Overall...CLEANLINESS. It's not just about sanitizing things, it's removing shoe prints, hair, spilled beverages, etc.
    - WORKING and WELL MAINTAINED equipment. There is nothing worse than a machine that's partially broken or pieces broken off, even if it's not needed for functioning of the machine.
    - Seminars, talks, etc. on health, fitness, weight loss, etc.
    - A great website with lists of classes, programs, etc.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Have good racks and free weights. Please none of those idiotic 12-sided weight plates.

Also make sure the equipment is well maintained and in safe operating condition. Some of the racks and benches in my old gym had loose bolts and would wobble.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Last time I was shopping for a gym WattBike Pro bikes were one of my priorities for choosing between the various gyms. Other high end power meter equipped bikes are available....
    The bank of four bikes get loads of use while the low spec bikes sit idle most of the time - a waste of floor space.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym for the indoor pool and indoor running track. There were two pools, one for lap swimming and one for water exercise, that were kept at different temperatures. I always thought a seasonal outdoor pool with a sun deck would be nice too. A climbing wall would be fun. My university gym had all sorts of indoor sports courts. I lift at home and prefer doing cardio outside, so I'm more interested in the perks than the standards. Whatever you do, don't put the group fitness room directly below the free weights section. I can tell you from experience dropping weights and yoga don't mix.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    Options
    I'd like a 24HR Facility, an Ohio Power Bar, Competition Spec'd Bench, a Squat Rack with Safeties but narrow enough to not pinball when I unrack, and a deadlift platform WITH a jack. Please be chalk friendly and update your playlist to play more than the same 40 songs all day long.

Also, name it Training ON Improvement (TONI's)

I'm liking that idea....but it was quickly vetoed. Apparently, it's not just my gym. smh.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I just expect it to be open at any crazy time of day or night that I ever decide to go. Which won't be that often. That is all.

it will be open all hours of the day. 7 days a week. even holidays.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    Options
    Great ideas given so far...

-A simple touch- my gym just started offering big containers of wet sani wipes in their own holder for wiping down equipment. I like this since it seems more people wipe down when they don't need to bother to spray a paper towel.
    -It used to be every week, but now I think only ever so often they had 'Free Friend Friday' where you could bring a friend for free. Yes, subject to tour and a quick sales pitch, but it was nice to have that option.
    -Low sales pitches. Advertise your services ( i.e. trainers, lessons, etc.) but don't push. Don't make people want to avoid staff in fear of a sales pitch. I worked with a trainer for a bit and he was awesome, but the sales pitch he gave me constantly made me stop going. If I know what's out there, great, but I don't want a reminder of why I need it or what body parts it would help.
    - Long hours...my gym is open from 4:30 am until midnight.
    - Strict rules ( and enforcement) of kids using equipment/machines. I have a hard time seeing people wait for equipment when a child is playing on it. If I could find a kid free gym, I'd love it. ( Mine has an awesome daycare, but some parents just can't say no to their kids I guess?)
    -Overall...CLEANLINESS. It's not just about sanitizing things, it's removing shoe prints, hair, spilled beverages, etc.
    - WORKING and WELL MAINTAINED equipment. There is nothing worse than a machine that's partially broken or pieces broken off, even if it's not needed for functioning of the machine.
    - Seminars, talks, etc. on health, fitness, weight loss, etc.
    - A great website with lists of classes, programs, etc.

these are all great suggestions, thank you!