Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Supermodels don't eat''

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I've seen some pretty thin runway models that no I don't think they eat enough. I think they either do drugs to help them stay thin or just simply don't eat. I was anorexic in the past and didn't eat more than a hand full of crackers each day with water. The models in VS that are a little more thick look like they eat well but work out a lot because they have very toned bodies. I think it just depends on who it is but I do think runway models eat very little food because most of them are overall boney and look sickly as I did when I was anorexic.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017

Take Doutzen Kroes, my favourite. I've always thought she looks like a slim, fit woman.

xvi5xw8fhh16.jpg

I agree that the fashion industry has a long way to go but from my perspective it's shifting from wanting models to appear "waif-ish" to appearing more fit.

She appears anorexic to me. You can tell by her face and all of her upper body.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »

Take Doutzen Kroes, my favourite. I've always thought she looks like a slim, fit woman.

xvi5xw8fhh16.jpg

I agree that the fashion industry has a long way to go but from my perspective it's shifting from wanting models to appear "waif-ish" to appearing more fit.

Is evaluation of the face and upper body part of diagnosing anorexia?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    It depends on individual genetics, youth, and the kind of look desired. There are some models with super-fast metabolisms who can eat pretty much whatever they want. Most of them watch their weight, especially before being cast for a show.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Which just goes to show how twisted society's perception of weight/build is nowadays. Obese is the new "normal".

She's slim, with a healthy/somewhat low BF% (not anywhere near "ripped") and small boobs. I don't even consider her as overly skinny, let alone underweight or anorexic.

If you got rid of the weight on her thighs, she would pretty much just be skin and bones.
  • healthypelican

Which just goes to show how twisted society's perception of weight/build is nowadays. Obese is the new "normal".

She's slim, with a healthy/somewhat low BF% (not anywhere near "ripped") and small boobs. I don't even consider her as overly skinny, let alone underweight or anorexic.

If you got rid of the weight on her thighs, she would pretty much just be skin and bones.

In case you're not sure, those are ab muscles you're seeing in her midsection. Not rib bones. HTH.

In case you're not sure, those are ab muscles you're seeing in her midsection. Not rib bones. HTH.

Ok, skin, bone and muscle.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Haters gonna hate...
  • healthypelican
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate...

Who is hating on who?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    They must eat SOMETHING though or else they would die.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member

xvi5xw8fhh16.jpg

I wouldn't say she's anorexic but I have yet to meet an athlete with that build. The only part of her body I'd call fit would be her legs. They look very powerful and strong. Her abs are only visible due to low BF and her upper body looks weak and frail.
    She's beautiful though, but she's not my definition of fit or anorexic. To me, she's just skinny.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

...She appears anorexic to me. You can tell by her face and all of her upper body.

I think that's just your individual perception based on what you think an anorexic person looks like. She's no where near as thin as most runway models (many of whom probably are anorexic.) I think her tiny breasts are what's throwing people off. She might be anorexic and she might not. You shouldn't automatically assume it, though.

I have basically the same upper body as she does, but add on some bigger boobs (a solid C). I think my collar bones may stick out a bit more than hers. But that just runs in my family, along with bony elbows and knees. I hope people don't look at me and label me mentally ill simply because my body is slimmer than average. But then again, I generally don't care too much about other people's hangups - I think at this point I'm too old to care what they think of my body anymore.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Don't know if anyone else saw this article, but I came across it a couple days ago. Really sad. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4303058/Models-reveal-ugly-truth-fashion-industry.html
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited March 2017
    Don't know if anyone else saw this article, but I came across it a couple days ago. Really sad. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4303058/Models-reveal-ugly-truth-fashion-industry.html

That is the daily mail though ...

I have a friend who appears anorexic. When she was 7 months pregnant she she bought her preggie clothes in the teens section because the adult clothes were still too big for her. She wears an XS and yes she eats more than I used when I was morbidly obese, which was a lot.

I used to work in the fashion industry as a photographer and it is a gross generalization that models starve themselves. Yes there are cases where this happens but to say that is the industry standard is like saying all football players use steroids to get big.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm only paying attention to the supermodels who answer on this thread.

Wise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd say the ladies here who eat and train don't really have what I'd call the typical runway model body/supermodel body...they have fitness bodies...which are much hotter.

Yeah, there is a big difference in the bodies of runway models vs. fitness models vs. underwear models. So naturally there will be a difference in how they eat and exercise to fit into their chosen roles.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2017
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    they eat but not much. guarantee 99% of the runway models do not have their periods due to such a low BMI. I have a few family members who are models and have spent whole days with them they eat around 1500-1800 a day, which is enough to maintain. If you think about it the average model is quite tall even though underweight, so they could easily maintain their weight eating 1500-1800 a day.

Athletes can also lose their periods even with a healthy BMI due to low body fat. At the peak of my varsity running, I once went a whole year between periods. I was a healthy weight at 112lbs and 5'1" tall which is a BMI of 21... 18 is the lowest healthy range BMI.

Yet interestingly, even though the trend with women in Japan is to be underweight (think 16-18 BMI) they still have their periods (perhaps more irregularly). I would wager that more than 1% of models still have their cycles.