Wish fresh veggies weren't so expensive

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    th1nr wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Yeah guys, this can be a real issue with families in poverty at least in the US. Or, even if not in abject poverty, there are "food deserts" where there is a store, but no access to a lot of fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables (think Family Dollar). It's easy to criticise, but if money is tight in the budget food that's expensive, perishable, and the kids whine about eating it anyway are often the first to get cut.
    "Food deserts" is blown out of proportion. Not eating healthy is a lot more about not being able/willing to plan meals, never having learnt how to shop and cook, and fear of trying new things or choosing the path of least resistance. Oh, and constantly being told about food deserts and how expensive healthy food is.

It's definitely NOT blown out of proportion. Not having a car can make even a couple of miles insurmountable. I currently live in a city and rely on public transport. Technically there are many grocery stores within a five mile radius but all require at least a mile of walking. It's very time consuming so I can't go every week and walking carrying two weeks of groceries is difficult. I mean I can do it because I'm young and energetic but someone older, busier, or who has to shop for more than one person would really struggle.

We just moved from a college town and it was the norm to see college students pushing carts down the sidewalk with groceries-either the ones you can buy, or they just took them from the store (you'd see carts lined up in front of the apartments, which was kind of funny lol). This is the style that most of them use and I have something similar for when I go to the farmers market in the summer https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Rolling-Utility-Shopping/dp/B001DZ4QTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489424775&sr=8-3&keywords=grocery+cart.

Back in the day, when my oldest was a baby, I didn't always have a car so I'd push the stroller to the grocery store and strategically place groceries in it. You do what you got to do :)

City girl here. The small-wheeled carts, like the one you posted are pretty common around me, especially amongst the elderly. I usually just always went with a larger backpack (or a rolling suitcase if I had a larger amount to buy that week - though that doesn't work as well in the winter). I rarely shop there because the hours suck, but there is a very popular & very old small independent grocery less than a mile from me - rich people drive in from all over to shop there (you see a line of cars including a bunch of BMW's, Mercedes', etc lined up for several neighboring blocks during rush hour..its rather amusing).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Yeah guys, this can be a real issue with families in poverty at least in the US. Or, even if not in abject poverty, there are "food deserts" where there is a store, but no access to a lot of fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables (think Family Dollar). It's easy to criticise, but if money is tight in the budget food that's expensive, perishable, and the kids whine about eating it anyway are often the first to get cut.
    "Food deserts" is blown out of proportion. Not eating healthy is a lot more about not being able/willing to plan meals, never having learnt how to shop and cook, and fear of trying new things or choosing the path of least resistance. Oh, and constantly being told about food deserts and how expensive healthy food is.

It's definitely NOT blown out of proportion. Not having a car can make even a couple of miles insurmountable. I currently live in a city and rely on public transport. Technically there are many grocery stores within a five mile radius but all require at least a mile of walking. It's very time consuming so I can't go every week and walking carrying two weeks of groceries is difficult. I mean I can do it because I'm young and energetic but someone older, busier, or who has to shop for more than one person would really struggle.

We just moved from a college town and it was the norm to see college students pushing carts down the sidewalk with groceries-either the ones you can buy, or they just took them from the store (you'd see carts lined up in front of the apartments, which was kind of funny lol). This is the style that most of them use and I have something similar for when I go to the farmers market in the summer https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Rolling-Utility-Shopping/dp/B001DZ4QTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489424775&sr=8-3&keywords=grocery+cart.

Back in the day, when my oldest was a baby, I didn't always have a car so I'd push the stroller to the grocery store and strategically place groceries in it. You do what you got to do :)

I live in a college town and the area that houses the 20k or so students was declared a food desert due to the average income and lack of grocery stores within a mile.

Leaves many of us scratching our heads. While the income of the students may be low, many are driving nice cars and living in $1000 a month a person apartment (paid by mommy and daddy). For those without cars, included in the university fees is a free pass for the local transit system. The buses run every 10 minutes from the campus to an area about 1.5 miles away. This area has a Super Walmart, Aldi's, Meijer Superstore, Kroegers, Jewel, Sam's Club and a Fresh Market.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017

I have zero sympathy for this. People make decisions and can adapt.
    - move to a better location
    - get a little collapsible trolly you can bring on the bus
    - get a bike with panniers
    - make a friend with a car who will drive you x2 a month
    - Uber home from the store
    - use a delivery service
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Do you have access to a local farmers market?

Not this time of year. Time of year they are out, I won't need them because my mom and I both garden and share.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I live in California. I buy large frozen bag of tropical fruit at walmart, $9.97 we make smoothie & other uses. Hubs buys fresh fruit in season. They sell fresh vaggies & fruit in the 99 cent stores here. I love squash, I get a 3 lb bag of zucchini for 99 cents & it's fresher than at the regular grocery stores & of course all their produce is 99 cents
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »

- use a delivery service

If rhey can't get to a store most likely can't get to a job either
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Spring is coming, time to plant your garden
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »

- use a delivery service

To do any of these things you need $$$$$ or a friend with $$$$$. People living at or below the poverty line don't have the luxury of being able to move, buy stuff, or pay for delivery charges.

You can get a used cargo trolley at salvation army for nothing,
    it doesn't take $$$$ to get veggies when you live in the city, just intent.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    I kept thinking of this thread as I got groceries today and when I got home I had to take a quick picture of my trip. For a little under $127 I filled 2 carts at Meijer and then a basket at Family Fare (Spartan). My grocery budget is $100 so I went a bit over, but Meijer was running their 11/$10 deal, so I got a few extra things. Next week I'll probably spend around $50, so it all evens out :) I made my menu plan/grocery list based off of what I already had in the house.

grocery%20trip_zpszehh9toi.jpg

Produce wise I got-

3lbs yellow onions
    1 bag of fresh spinach
    2 bags of shredded lettuce (I'm weird about lettuce and this is the only way I'll eat it :p )
    2.5lbs bananas
    1 cantaloupe
    1 pkg mushrooms
    1 red and 1 orange bell pepper
    12lbs apples (mostly for baking)
    1 bag baby carrots
    2 cans of peaches
    2lbs tomatoes
    2 bags frozen corn
    2 bags frozen winter blend veggies
    2 small broccoli crowns

It was a fun, but exhausting trip (3 kids/2 grocery carts at Meijer does not equal relaxing!)

eta: you can't see from the picture but behind the cat litter bags (which I normally don't put on my counter lol), there's several boxes of cookie mix, boxed potatoes and yes, a box of Hamburger Helper (and I'm not even sorry :D ).
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I always buy frozen or Aldi
  • crzycatlady1
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I always buy frozen or Aldi

Aldi is my go-to store, but with the deal Meijer is running this week it worked out to be a bit cheaper to just go there this week. Aldi has great prices on both fresh and frozen produce though!
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member

In America there are many many places that do not have adequate mass transportation systems, and so the poor are often limited to what can be walked or biked to. And often the good grocery store is not in a town center, but the big market at the edge of town. If there is good bus service, a person is still often limited by what can be managed on a bus...sometimes no easy task. And yes, if a person has mobility issues, young children, or has a handicap things are compounded in difficultly. And the time factor is often not appreciated. A bus trip can easily take 3x the time it would take by car, and be able to lug only half as much.

Hurricane Katrina and Rita revealed how many people do NOT have access to a car or an alternate place to go. It showed how many people were poor, disabled, and largely invisible.

For someone making a comfortable amount of money, getting decent reasonably priced food is not a huge issue. But for those struggling to afford mac and cheese--and yes, they exist, and likely do in your town--buying fresh kale may well be a ridiculous indulgence.

Kraft dinner is normally well out of my budget. It's usually about $1.99/box here but I've seen it over $2. On the other hand there is a market that carries spring mix lettuce 2 containers for $3 which is enough for 4 meals. Chicken and pork can often be bought at under $2/lb but beef including hamburger meat is well over $5/lb. Cheese goes on sale for $4 for the 400g block so it's also a cheap source of protein. Eggs never drop below $2/dozen but they still go farther than mac and cheese. In season veggies are usually affordable but out of season can get crazy (iceberg lettuce in season 99 cents, out of season $3 +).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

20s and snowing, I'll wait a bit.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Lol, too late, already planted early vegetables. Planning on raspberries and tea later on
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    I think there is the problem, not necessarily in OP's case but pertaining to eating healthy while under the poverty line, where what people think is affordable is actually extremely far from being affordable. For example, in my search for budget friendly recipes I've come across so many food blogs that consider $10 a day to be cheap, and that's just so lavishly unbelievable for so many people. Not everyone who needs food stamps has them; also the blogs I've seen "demonstrating" that you can eat healthily on a food-stamp budget usually don't make enough food for a person to live on (and for someone not trying to lose weight, 1300 calories is not enough to be healthy long-term). Honestly, when I was struggling, even $4 a day was more than twice of what I had for food. My point is that it's often not even a matter of "desire, time and resources." It's a matter of choosing between starvation and obesity, with nothing in between and malnourishment either way.

For the record, a sleeve of poptarts is about 400 calories, which is a meal.

So true. When I was going to college (as an adult student), I was budgeting $35 a month for food. Everything else from my job (part-time, because school) went to rent, electricity, bus pass, school books, etc. I mostly lived off of frozen burritos (8 to a bag, bags were ~$3 apiece, so about $0.38 a meal.) Which aren't the WORST food, but the point is it wasn't even a matter of me choosing food for it's health value, it was "what is cheapest in this store that will fill me up?".
  • crzycatlady1

Ha, yeah here too!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

Ha, yeah here too!

And I may be a little late. I think we skipped over spring and went right into summer. It's 90 degrees right now in my backyard... B)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I think there is the problem, not necessarily in OP's case but pertaining to eating healthy while under the poverty line, where what people think is affordable is actually extremely far from being affordable. For example, in my search for budget friendly recipes I've come across so many food blogs that consider $10 a day to be cheap, and that's just so lavishly unbelievable for so many people. Not everyone who needs food stamps has them; also the blogs I've seen "demonstrating" that you can eat healthily on a food-stamp budget usually don't make enough food for a person to live on (and for someone not trying to lose weight, 1300 calories is not enough to be healthy long-term). Honestly, when I was struggling, even $4 a day was more than twice of what I had for food. My point is that it's often not even a matter of "desire, time and resources." It's a matter of choosing between starvation and obesity, with nothing in between and malnourishment either way.

For the record, a sleeve of poptarts is about 400 calories, which is a meal.

So true. When I was going to college (as an adult student), I was budgeting $35 a month for food. Everything else from my job (part-time, because school) went to rent, electricity, bus pass, school books, etc. I mostly lived off of frozen burritos (8 to a bag, bags were ~$3 apiece, so about $0.38 a meal.) Which aren't the WORST food, but the point is it wasn't even a matter of me choosing food for it's health value, it was "what is cheapest in this store that will fill me up?".

When I was an undergrad, it was mostly frozen fish (whatever the discount grocery had cheapest in large frozen bags..I think it was usually perch back then)(quicker/easier to cook than chicken and also less likely to make a mess in the backpack than the typical chicken packaging), potatoes, frozen green beans/peas/corn for dinner.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    The "economy" grocery store that caters to college students and low-income shoppers in my town is mostly in the business of selling cheap generics and off brand products. They're fairly competitive on potatoes, carrots, onions, and tomatoes, and also milk and eggs, but their green vegetables are usually the highest priced in town - much higher in some cases. Broccoli is usually at least a dollar per pound higher than at either of the other two grocery stores in town and rarely looks good. They don't sell enough of it for it to stay fresh. And I've never seen asparagus or Brussels sprouts in there at any price, or bell peppers in any color other than green. Or fresh spinach, which is one of my staples when I'm restricting calories. They're also relatively expensive on the better known national brands of frozen vegetables, and on name brand products in general. Someone who shops there and only there could be forgiven for thinking that vegetables are expensive locally and that processed foods are cheap. The other two grocery stores in town have fairly decent store brands but don't pack their aisles with trashy off brands, and both of them have much larger selections of fresh and frozen produce. Their vegetables are cheaper almost across the board and even the processed foods are less expensive for the quality you get.