having a lot of trouble committing

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You have to really want to change your existing eating habits. Try shouldn't come into it, as the ad goes 'Just Do It' :smile: Set yourself small goals/ pre plan your days meals and don't buy the things that are calorie dense. Little by little you can change how you see food.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    the statement in your mind should go "I have to" rather than "I want to" (even if you "really" want to)
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Don't take your wallet to work if possible. I would bring well thought out and prepared meals, eat them, and eat chips and chocolate from the canteen anyway. Once I stopped bringing cash I stopped eating from there and broke the bad habit. Now I can bring my wallet to work and not feel the need to buy anything

Ha, the wallet thing worked for me too! Well, not bringing cash anyway.

I would bring good things, and eat them, and enjoy them. But I would still grab food from the vending machine. And of course I wouldn't log them because I'm embarrassed (although no one else is looking at my diary!) and then I would eat something else not as good at home out of guilt. When I wouldn't lose weight, I'd just stop working at it for a couple months and have to start over 10lbs heavier.

So I stopped bringing cash to work, and so I couldn't get my extras, and I got over the habit of doing it. I still struggle with not going out to lunch every day, but since it's still wintry outside, I really don't feel like going out most days. And I don't have a problem when it's nice outside, since I usually go out for a walk at lunch.

I'm glad I dropped the habit when I did, because they just put a damn credit card reader on the vending machine a couple weeks ago. It makes the (already overpriced) goodies 5 cents more, and darn it if the old me wouldn't have cared. I would have been grabbing 3-4 candy bars and chips each day anyway, perhaps more so since I'm not limited by how much cash I had on hand!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    ...my issue is actually getting the body to do what the mind needs it to do...

I would say your problem is actually the opposite.
    You need to get the mind to do what the body needs it to do. Trouble committing is not a fault of the body. The mind is making the choices here, and the body is just following along.

You need to figure out why you keep failing. What's your motivation? How badly to you really want this? You have to want this change more than you want the comfort and familiarity of your old ways. Until this becomes a bigger priority than some of your other choices, you aren't likely to change.

Change can be scary. Are you attempting to make these changes at too fast a pace and either burning out or psyching yourself out? Start gradually, make simple achievable changes, experience some small successes and build on those. Everybody loves to win. So set easier, more attainable goals to start, so you can feel the taste of victory. Once you start winning in small ways, you can set bigger goals.

This all comes down to getting your head in the game. Without the right mindset, you're just spinning your wheels. Good luck!
  • ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do not let yourself get too hungry, that's a big pitfall for me. Everything goes out the window if I'm starving.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It can be REALLY difficult! That's ok. Its ok to have bad days, its ok to fall. It's ok to not be good enough. It's ok to lose really slowly. It's ok to gain back 1 pound after losing 2. You just get back up and start again. I've done it, too. I was depressed all winter and logging was too hard. I am constantly fighting the munchies! But at the end of the day, I'm a bit fitter, and a bit stronger than the day before. Every little thing helps. On the contrary, it's little things that makes it hard. Sometimes you just gotta try different things and see what works for you. It's all in the baby steps
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    For me I just have to keep telling myself WHY I am here and on CICO. I want to be slender and healthy as opposed to morbidly obese. I am half way down to my goal since starting May 2016. It can be difficult but I just have to stay focused on the end game.... good luck you can do it!
  • ramonramirez1975
    ramonramirez1975 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    really having trouble losing weight. i want to lose weight. i know how to lose weight in terms of food and excercise. my issue is actually getting the body to do what the mind needs it to do.

every day i wake up saying "today is the day, im going to do this" and by lunch time im scoffing and iced coffee and eating crap again. if you look through my history on here, you will see that i have "restarted" many times.

it is really starting to get me down. i dont know what to do.

Hello, what I think will work for you is to build your diet around the food you're eating. You have to trick your mind and body into thinking you're eating certain foods, but in actuality your cutting most of the unhealthy carbs. For example, I eat Taco Bell daily, but I modify the food so I can get the best out of it. If I order a chicken burrito i ask to remove any type of dressing, sauce, and cheese, I eat everything inside and throw the giant tortilla in the trash. And I drink lots of water in between bites, also I eat a small bowl of fruit I get at the nearest 7/11. And a cup of coffee with a little French vanilla cream. My cravings for eating a burrito are gone.
  • ramonramirez1975
    ramonramirez1975 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    7tpq0ofkrs4f.jpg

I paid $1.00 for 4oz of mixed fruit at 7/11.
    You can eat any foods just make better choices.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    its hard to describe. my mind is definitely the problem, not the body. but there are 2 parts of it. there is the knowing all the theory and the how to's and the what to do's. i know them, ive done it before. ive lost up to 7 kgs on previous attempts. then there is the other part of the mind which is the part that controls the what the body actually does. that is the part of the mind that is weak.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Keep trying and don't get discouraged at some point it will click. Last weekend I fell off track after doing well for a good stretch. i took time to identify what went wrong and to figure out solutions so it doesn't happen again. Just keep working on it. Staying within a calorie deficit is hard and it takes planning and setting yourself up for success. it takes more than just feeling guilty and wanting to be thinner.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Also expose yourself to lots of weight loss chat. Spend time on the forums here and find a good weight loss podcast to listen to (I like Half Size Me). This can help to get your mind in the zone. I also watch shows like Secret Eaters and Fat Families for motivation (have run out of episodes though :( )
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above, do not try to make drastic multiple changes all at once, change one thing, get settled into that for a month or two, then add another change, you can stop bad habits by making them a little more difficult, as long as you have something more healthy already planned for to replace it. Getting to a healthy weight and staying there will require a lifestyle change and you can't do it all at once.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Temptation is like a toddler. When you always give in it gets used to doing it's own thing so if you tell it no it throws a temper tantrum but if you are consistent and keep the rules the temper tantrums go away you just have to out stubborn a few times until following the rules becomes the expected thing.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    It all in our heads
    Sort your head out the rest will follow

I have many times stuck to plan for over a year then bam I've lost that willpower and resort to old
    Just gradually make changes don't do the all or nothing start with calorie reduction then do a walking plan don't go full steam into something that you know isn't manageable forever

Very true for me too. I've started a diet, had my reasons, confident I could do it, then one thing happens that makes me think "What's the point?" and I give up. It is all in your head, you have to WANT to not eat the crap food, you have to WANT to go back to smaller waisted trousers and be happy with what you see in the mirror etc.

This time round, I don't think I will give up, but this time I have a three year old who will be relying on me being fit by summer time. I don't want to be walking along the beach this year with a top on to hide my belly, while all the other dads are topless, soaking up the sun, getting tanned etc.

I still have chocolate every single day!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It's a case of wanting to improve your health/body/life more than you want to eat crap or have an easy life.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It's a case of wanting to improve your health/body/life more than you want to eat crap or have an easy life.

True, but not feeling in control of your choices isn't an easy life. While you're in the midst of being out of control, you might believe it's a hardship to begin watching what you eat and exercising. But once you make some changes and chose health/body/life it's such an easier life (imo)