No meat to lose weight?

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I play professional basketball and I am a Vegan dont listen to the lies about all this protein excess crap. Eat a clean vegan diet and workout hard you will see and feel the best results in your life now and in the longevity and overall health. Also look up Dr Sebi he has cured everything from Aids to Diabeties. No meat No dairy No Startch. Clean Alkaline Vegan Diet. A lot of the time vegans and vegetarians put on bad weight is cause they fail to do the proper investigation. Have a solid foundation and youll be good. Electric Food is the best food otherwise your putting dead flesh in your system and are a walking cemetery.

You've got to be kidding. I have seen a lot of ridiculous claims about veganism before, but that it can cure AIDS? That's extremely offensive.

Very offensive:-/ I'm a nurse, if it was that easy all my patients would be healthy and I wldnt be donating to fundraisers for cures.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2017
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For those interested! :)
    ...It's like a bone treat you would buy at the pet store (except even a little softer.) Notice the marrow.

It isn't sharp at all. I easily crumbled it with my fingertips.

Bone is in almost all dog foods.

Does it work well with other bones besides chicken? I rarely eat poultry but end up with beef and pig bones often. I would think they are too big to boil soft?

I collect nearly all the bones I've used for cooking, they go into a ziplock in the fridge. Chicken, pork, lamb, beef. When I have enough I put them into the crockpot together. Makes a very tasty bone broth and I use the bones as treats! You have to test a few. I usually call it done with the largest bone easily breaks apart.

My girl always eats either raw bones or softened bones. Also... save the knuckle cartilage off of the bones you eat. I give those to her as well. I never buy anything boneless or skinless. Chicken thighs always have too much skin and the excess goes to the dog too. Raw. She's a very happy pup. Lol ;)

Sometimes I have too many softened bones and I grind them up and add them to the compost outside.
    kq1981 wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Ended up gaining weight.... Haha.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

I think that's how meat was intended to be consumed.

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

off topic but cooked bones should NOT be given to dogs, especially poultry bones,those should never be given at all. cooked bones can splinter and cause damage and even kill a dog. PS what the person said above about the bones is correct. just didnt see the post before I commented
    See:
    Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

@SierraFatToSkinny , this is completely off topic but please don't EVER feed cooked bones to your dog. Cooked bones splinter and are very dangerous to feed, regardless of the size of your dog or the bone.

I cook them until they're soft. (Which I mentioned in my original post.)

As in edible. It's very healthy and safe. I make my own dog food so my dog needs some marrow in her diet. She either gets them raw or after two days in the crockpot.

They're perfectly safe when they're soft.

They're soft enough YOU can eat them. :) They're essentially marrow bone treats.

If you have a dog you should try it! Just use a crockpot and cook them until you can tear apart a bone with your fingers. I usually do two days on low heat.

I then use the bone broth for soup bases.

sorry but Im not going to risk my dogs life either way. if you want to risk it, thats your decision.and just because I could safely eat them doesnt mean its safe for my dog. some foods that are safe for me to eat are toxic to my dogs. not worth a risk or unnecessary vet bills in my opinion.

... They're homemade dog treats.... The kibble you're feeding your dog is way worse for them than the softened bones.

It isn't a risk at all. It's nutrient dense and good for them. As long as the bones are either raw or cooked till soft.

My dog eats a 100% homemade diet and my vet not only knows, but approves. My girl has the glossiest fur in the dog park! ;)

Seems like everyone else's "opinion" is more correct than yrs:-/ give yr girl a treat and a pat from me :smile:

I will! Because of the upcoming adoption she's been getting a lot of attention this weekend. I haven't told her she's getting a brother yet... lol. Guess she'll find out when the other dog gets into the same car after the meet and greet!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For those interested! :)
    ...It's like a bone treat you would buy at the pet store (except even a little softer.) Notice the marrow.

It isn't sharp at all. I easily crumbled it with my fingertips.

Bone is in almost all dog foods.

Does it work well with other bones besides chicken? I rarely eat poultry but end up with beef and pig bones often. I would think they are too big to boil soft?

I collect nearly all the bones I've used for cooking, they go into a ziplock in the fridge. Chicken, pork, lamb, beef. When I have enough I put them into the crockpot together. Makes a very tasty bone broth and I use the bones as treats! You have to test a few. I usually call it done with the largest bone easily breaks apart.

My girl always eats either raw bones or softened bones. Also... save the knuckle cartilage off of the bones you eat. I give those to her as well. I never buy anything boneless or skinless. Chicken thighs always have too much skin and the excess goes to the dog too. Raw. She's a very happy pup. Lol ;)

Sometimes I have too many softened bones and I grind them up and add them to the compost outside.

Excellent. Thank you.

And my dog thanks you too! ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    chnason wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I recommend at minimum 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight. More is fine. Less is (IMO) risky. You can get this much on a vegan or vegetarian regime, no problem.

Can you help me to know how I can get 112g of protein on a vegetarian/vegan diet? That would be 0.7g per pound on my 160 pound healthy goal weight.

For ovo-lacto, possibly, depending on your calorie target. I eat a minimum of 100g daily in maintenance at 1850-2000 or so (gross) calories for my 120-something-pound self. (More protein on my high calorie days - actual maintenance TDEE is probably 2100-2300, so I work from a rolling average). During the loss phase it was more like 80-90 on 1600-1800 gross. At 1400-ish gross (which was a big mistake for me - too few cals!) it was more like 75g.

For me, there's quite a bit of dairy (love it, and my Northern European genes like it fine, too). I don't eat protein powder, protein bars, or fake meat (at least not often), not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I don't find them tasty or satisfying.

For vegan, I dunno. I think I could keep my levels where I want them, but I think I'd have to eat quite a bit more soy than I'd prefer. For that, it'd be better to ask one of the higher-protein-eating vegans who're around MFP (yeah, I believe there are some).

A person could write a whole long essay on the subject, but the short form is this: Review your diary. Find items that have quite a few calories, but little protein. Reduce or eliminate those foods, replacing them with others you like that have more protein. Prefer sources that are more complete (in terms of amino acid complement) when possible. Look for solid protein in every category: Vegetables, fruits, snacks, grains, non-water beverages.

Use this thread to find the right foods, it's pure gold: Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

Keep reviewing your diary, keep tweaking what you eat, and you'll gradually move toward your desired protein level. Can you do it? I dunno. It helped me that I like most (non-meat/fish) foods, and enjoy trying new things. I don't keep eating foods I don't enjoy, though, past the trial phase. Life is too short.

It would be nice if being vegan/vegetarian meant we could get by eating less protein, but sadly there's no scientific basis for believing that. That's one reason why, when folks ask on MFP about becoming vegan/vegetarian, I often suggest they not do so unless they have ethical reasons. It requires a little more attention and planning, so it's not always convenient.

If you want to see what I eat, send me a FR. My diary is open to friends, but I don't care to make it public.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Should I stop eating meat like those high carb low fat diet plan that I read before or just cut up some colories and stick with my meal plan. I'm eating rice everyday with more veggies and just a little of meat and sugar.

Unless meat/poultry/fish actually give you problems there is no reason to cut them out. Humans need the complete protein in these foods.

You will feel better overall if you include protein, especially if you exercise. Even vegan athletes have to make an extra effort to focus on protein and it's not easy for vegans. Why would you make your life so unnecessarily complicated like that? Our bodies are designed to take meat as well as vegetables and grains.

Most people feel best starting with the baseline MFP gives for macros or something like 40/20/40 % protein/fat/carbs.

For most females that's about 100 grams or so of protein. You can get the best protein/calorie ratio foods in ths order: egg whites, white fish, protein powder isolate, bone broth, then lean turkey/chicken/pork, then fat free yogurt and cottage cheese. It does not mean higher fat protein like beef/salmon, or higher carb vegan proteins are bad, it's just that if you want to make it simple and focus on protein/veggies just enough carbs/fat to get to your calorie goal and than it falls into place naturally.

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I play professional basketball and I am a Vegan dont listen to the lies about all this protein excess crap. Eat a clean vegan diet and workout hard you will see and feel the best results in your life now and in the longevity and overall health. Also look up Dr Sebi he has cured everything from Aids to Diabeties. No meat No dairy No Startch. Clean Alkaline Vegan Diet. A lot of the time vegans and vegetarians put on bad weight is cause they fail to do the proper investigation. Have a solid foundation and youll be good. Electric Food is the best food otherwise your putting dead flesh in your system and are a walking cemetery.

Veganism is certainly good for some people but it does not cure diseases like Aids or diabetes. Dr Sebi (see bold) was a quack and a fraud. Stop posting this stuff and spreading misinformation.

p0mmr12w49vq.jpg

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    There should of never been a oatmeal raisin cookie... Thats a Frankenstein cookie.. a mad scientist just sewing random parts together to make a body.. someone clearly was out of chocolate chips and was desperate.. and thats how that was made.. :( Sigh

Since the history of the oatmeal raisin cookie predates the chocolate chip cookie, nope.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    There should of never been a oatmeal raisin cookie... Thats a Frankenstein cookie.. a mad scientist just sewing random parts together to make a body.. someone clearly was out of chocolate chips and was desperate.. and thats how that was made.. :( Sigh

Since the history of the oatmeal raisin cookie predates the chocolate chip cookie, nope.

giphy.gif
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
  • karahm78
  • karahm78
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Electric foods . . .

sjl7hczbc9y8.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    By the "electric foods" logic, I could live off nothing but water and electrolyte supplements and be the healthiest person alive instead of dying of starvation. (I do not suggest anyone actually do or try that)
  • JakeL1981
    JakeL1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Its really simple. Burn more calories than you eat aka calorie deficit. Eat whatever you want as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. After you are maintaining a nice deficit and have adjust to it then you can fine tune the portions and macros. Keep it simple for as long as you can.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    karahm78 wrote: »
    wx0xh4y7vmko.jpg
    gw5n2wo1hcca.png
    pp7zhivyffb2.jpg

Ok, I can actually sympathize with this. I am human, after all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

Oh good lord, not that quack again. Dr Sebi is a dangerous fool who has caused more than a few deaths with his malarkey.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

off topic but cooked bones should NOT be given to dogs, especially poultry bones,those should never be given at all. cooked bones can splinter and cause damage and even kill a dog. PS what the person said above about the bones is correct. just didnt see the post before I commented
    See:
    Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

@SierraFatToSkinny , this is completely off topic but please don't EVER feed cooked bones to your dog. Cooked bones splinter and are very dangerous to feed, regardless of the size of your dog or the bone.

As in edible. It's very healthy and safe. I make my own dog food so my dog needs some marrow in her diet. She either gets them raw or after two days in the crockpot.

They're soft enough YOU can eat them. :) They're essentially marrow bone treats.

If you have a dog you should try it! Just use a crockpot and cook them until you can tear apart a bone with your fingers. I usually do two days on low heat.

sorry but Im not going to risk my dogs life either way. if you want to risk it, thats your decision.and just because I could safely eat them doesnt mean its safe for my dog. some foods that are safe for me to eat are toxic to my dogs. not worth a risk or unnecessary vet bills in my opinion.

... They're homemade dog treats.... The kibble you're feeding your dog is way worse for them than the softened bones.

It isn't a risk at all. It's nutrient dense and good for them. As long as the bones are either raw or cooked till soft.

My dog eats a 100% homemade diet and my vet not only knows, but approves. My girl has the glossiest fur in the dog park! ;)

I do the same with my dogs, but i mush up the bones with a fork to make sure there's no sharp bits,and i do usually find some..

Aint nothing wrong with raw bones, beef or chicken carcasses. I've fed my dogs a B.A.R.F type diet for close to 25 years, kibble is for emergencies only, and have never had one problem.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member

See:

I do the same with my dogs, but i mush up the bones with a fork to make sure there's no sharp bits,and i do usually find some..

Aint nothing wrong with raw bones, beef or chicken carcasses. I've fed my dogs a B.A.R.F type diet for close to 25 years, kibble is for emergencies only, and have never had one problem.

My dog almost always refuses to eat raw meat. :D It took forever for her to learn to like raw bones and skin. So I cook her meat for her. I even heat it up when I dish it up from out of the fridge.

Have you tried giving whole eggs to your dog? Mine likes them. She'll pierce a hole and then spend the next 15 minutes licking out the contents, then eat the shell!