Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-July 2011

Options

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I found out on Monday that I'm about 4 weeks pregnant. It was a complete surprise because we weren't trying, but we weren't really trying too hard NOT to get pregnant either. :) The only symptoms I've had so far are some dull cramps and a little acne. I had a slight wave of nausea the other day, but it passed really quickly. Since I have high blood pressure the doctor said I'll be considered a high risk pregnancy. I'm on medication for it and have been for a few months. She said I'll probably need to take it easier on my workouts, which I'm a little bummed about because I was really enjoying the C25K program, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess I'll stick to walking briskly at an incline in the air conditioned cardio room at the gym. lol I really wanted to continue strength training too. I'm going to ask my OB at my first appointment if I can do light weights. Obviously the baby's well being is my primary concern, but I want to try to stay somewhat in shape, if possible, for many reasons. I know it's supposed to help with labor, help you get back to pre-pregnancy quicker after birth, and just give you an overall better feeling while pregnant.
    We haven't told many people yet because I had a couple miscarriages about 5 years ago with my ex-husband so we'll probably wait until I'm 12-14 weeks before we break it to the world. I made it to 6 weeks with one and 10 weeks with another so we're praying all goes well with this one. I'm about 30 pounds lighter and a lot healthier than I was then so hopefully that'll help a little. :)
    I upped my calorie intake to maintenance. I'm not going to start with the extra 250-300 calories until the 2nd trimester because I don't feel it's necessary until then. I did some research and it looks like waiting until the 2nd trimester is better anyways. I'm hoping to keep weight gain in the 25-35 pound range.

Congrats to everyone on their buns in the oven. :)
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If you are getting foils none of the color even is in contact with your scalp. If you did all over color some doc's say to wait until after the first trimester. I did my hair (foiled) twice in the first trimester and did just fine...just my experience. :)

And my skin broke out a little the first trimester but now is clearer than it has ever been. I've got really oily skin and PCOS so the combo has made me have breakout my entire life, so having beautiful clear skin is absolutely wonderful! It may just be the hormones being so high right now and will even out and clear up soon.

Nicole, congrats on the awesome appt results! :)

That's what I was thinking, I am getting foils done so it won't touch my scalp so I think it should be fine, I also called Capital Health Link last night & spoke with a nurse and she said that it's fine even with all over hair dye just as long as you're in a well ventilated space. So I think I will get it done, but maybe to a color that is less bright blonde and more my natural dirty blonde color so I won't have to do it so often.

As for the acne, it's the worst I've ever had it - I think my hormones are in overdrive! lol...I am looking forward to clear skin again! 3 more weeks until I'm 3 months and hopefully my face will have more luck then ;) lol
  • Raynamama
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I found out on Monday that I'm about 4 weeks pregnant. It was a complete surprise because we weren't trying, but we weren't really trying too hard NOT to get pregnant either. :) The only symptoms I've had so far are some dull cramps and a little acne. I had a slight wave of nausea the other day, but it passed really quickly. Since I have high blood pressure the doctor said I'll be considered a high risk pregnancy. I'm on medication for it and have been for a few months. She said I'll probably need to take it easier on my workouts, which I'm a little bummed about because I was really enjoying the C25K program, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess I'll stick to walking briskly at an incline in the air conditioned cardio room at the gym. lol I really wanted to continue strength training too. I'm going to ask my OB at my first appointment if I can do light weights. Obviously the baby's well being is my primary concern, but I want to try to stay somewhat in shape, if possible, for many reasons. I know it's supposed to help with labor, help you get back to pre-pregnancy quicker after birth, and just give you an overall better feeling while pregnant.
    We haven't told many people yet because I had a couple miscarriages about 5 years ago with my ex-husband so we'll probably wait until I'm 12-14 weeks before we break it to the world. I made it to 6 weeks with one and 10 weeks with another so we're praying all goes well with this one. I'm about 30 pounds lighter and a lot healthier than I was then so hopefully that'll help a little. :)
    I upped my calorie intake to maintenance. I'm not going to start with the extra 250-300 calories until the 2nd trimester because I don't feel it's necessary until then. I did some research and it looks like waiting until the 2nd trimester is better anyways. I'm hoping to keep weight gain in the 25-35 pound range.

Congrats to everyone on their buns in the oven. :)

Congratulations! :o) Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy!!
    I'm 9 weeks along and I still lift weights, granted MUCH lighter than before - I stick to 10-12 lbs and I'm doing more pilates to help keep toned and keep my strength :o) Good luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Got in another workout today!! Hope I can keep it up! I've fought with acne forever and found a product I really like. It's called Grandmas Acne Bar. Its an old fashioned lye based soap, but it's really gentle. Maybe I just finally
    "outgrew" the breakouts, but I saw I dramatic change in my skin when I started using this. I have to order it online though.

Kara

Not trying to be paranoid, just try to learn what kind of soap it is. Here is a couple of article I found about Lye soap:

1. How Safe Is Lye Soap? (http://www.ehow.com/about_5283432_safe-lye-soap.html)
    2. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/103025-ingredients-lye-soap/)
    Lye is a common name for sodium hydroxide--the chemical used to make bar soap--or potassium hydroxide, used in liquid soap. Lye reacts with lard in a simple chemical process called saponification, in which these ingredients are transformed into glycerin and salt. This chemical reaction enables soap to feature both hydrophobic and hydrophilic chemicals. Hydrophobic molecules are not easily combined with water, while hydrophilic compounds easily bond with water, helping to draw hydrophobic compounds like oils off your body by bonding to them.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is having a happy, healthy, and productive day! Welcome to the newcomers! Congrats and jump right in! I hope you find this board as supportive for your pregnancy and health/fitness as I do!

Just a little reminder/PSA lol... We all want to be healthy during our pregnancy and we all talk about the amount of calories consumed...I just hope that these calories being consumed (whether maintenance, or the +300 calories in the second and third trimester) are nutritious calories. There are so many things regarding the Bradley Method that I love, but one of the most important things they stress is that it isn't necessarily the amount of calories you are consuming, but the quality of the calorie that you are consuming. If you are eating a bunch of processed junk versus lean meats, healthy fats, fruits and veggies just to get the right amount of calories then you are doing a disservice to not only yourself and your health, but that of your baby and their health. I can't even tell you the amount of women that I know or have been told about that have gained 40, 50, 60lbs but they stayed active and ate healthy that shed the weight in a matter of weeks following the delivery of their baby.

I'm not preaching, just reminding that a calorie is not just a calorie, especially in our case. :)
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is having a happy, healthy, and productive day! Welcome to the newcomers! Congrats and jump right in! I hope you find this board as supportive for your pregnancy and health/fitness as I do!

Just a little reminder/PSA lol... We all want to be healthy during our pregnancy and we all talk about the amount of calories consumed...I just hope that these calories being consumed (whether maintenance, or the +300 calories in the second and third trimester) are nutritious calories. There are so many things regarding the Bradley Method that I love, but one of the most important things they stress is that it isn't necessarily the amount of calories you are consuming, but the quality of the calorie that you are consuming. If you are eating a bunch of processed junk versus lean meats, healthy fats, fruits and veggies just to get the right amount of calories then you are doing a disservice to not only yourself and your health, but that of your baby and their health. I can't even tell you the amount of women that I know or have been told about that have gained 40, 50, 60lbs but they stayed active and ate healthy that shed the weight in a matter of weeks following the delivery of their baby.

I'm not preaching, just reminding that a calorie is not just a calorie, especially in our case. :)

I agree 100%!! Even before found out I was pregnant I chose healthy calories. I pay attention to macro nutrients so I'll be even more diligent now. I'm not saying I won't indulge in some bad things now and then, but that won't be how I get my extra cals.
  • Raynamama
    Options

I agree 100%!! Even before found out I was pregnant I chose healthy calories. I pay attention to macro nutrients so I'll be even more diligent now. I'm not saying I won't indulge in some bad things now and then, but that won't be how I get my extra cals.

I totally agree also :o) It's more difficult for sure during the first trimester because of nausea and certain food aversions, especially like the ones that I have! I am trying so hard to get veggies in! I used to love salads, snacking on raw veggies - but now it seems I can't stand them! I sneak spinach into a fruit smoothie sometimes and I love mexican food so I made tacos the other night and had guacamole and salsa and lettuce for veggies...but i LOVE fresh fruit right now, that is the one thing I really can stomach! Hopefully my love for veggies will come back soon!
    Here's to eating quality calories! ;)
  • Raynamama
    Options
    Random, but just wanted to share that I am going shopping for maternity bras and prenatal yoga workout DVD's tonight,
    I'm actually really excited because my normal bras just won't do! I have to cage these beasts and get rid of the underwire! lol

Does anyone use any prenatal workout DVD's that they like?
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    I put this on your post, but the Element Prenatal Yoga dvd is pretty good. I also got the Crunch yoga mama dvd and wish I didn't. It was far too easy and for people who don't workout at all. And regarding bras...you might wanna not put too much money into new bras right now cause I kept growing up until about 12wks. I went from a large C/small D to a full and large DD....I found some great sleep bras at Walmart that I use and then the Incredible bra at Victorias Secret is what I use now and will get nursing bras when I get closer to baby coming.

And I was right there with you on not being able to eat the usual veggies in the beginning. My normal breakfast prior to pregnancy was baby spinach sauteed in unrefined organic coconut oil with two free range scrambled eggs mixed in then placed on top of half a tomato sliced....I still am not able to stomach what I used to love and look forward to every morning! lol! I've come to crave salads though so hopefully your love of veggies will return as well. Simple carbs like fruit is easy to digest which is probably why we crave that. I still crave fruit like crazy and eat it all day!

So for my workout today I mowed my lawn...probably wasn't the brightest thing to do since when I started at 9am it was 90 degrees and when I was done by 11 it was almost 100 degrees. I drank tons of water and burned a bucket load of calories. The hills combined with the push mower always make for a good workout. My husband works so hard and has been working well over 60 hours every week since he got home from training. We are going to a really awesome hotel in downtown Kansas City this weekend to celebrate our anniversary that was on the 18th and the last thing I want him worrying about is trying to get the lawn mowed either before we leave or when we get back. I bet the neighbors are at awe with the 6 months pregnant woman pushing a mower in July! lol It really wasn't any worse than when I go on my 6 mile hikes.

Hope you all had a great day!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Heather on the bra. Try get some extension first. It'll last you for awhile.

I recently tried "The Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol. 1". Not too bad, but I don't think it's intense enough since I'm still in the 1st-tri.
  • kerenjackson06
    kerenjackson06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Keren, and I'm just about 8 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. So far, I've had a bit more nausea with this pregnancy. I don't really want veggies or cheese but I'm all over fruit! I really don't want to put on the weight (60 lbs.) that I did with my first, so I'm hoping I can eat healthy portions! Anyone have any advice about how to overcome the fatigue? I feel like the worst mom today; I didn't even change my daughter out of her pajamas. She played fairly actively, but I also let her watch the full 2 hours of TV today, which I try not to do. I just can't seem to work up the energy to do anything!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Welcome Karen! Jump right in! Let us know what your goals are and how you plan on obtaining them! What kind of workouts do you love doing? I can't say there is anything besides taking a midday nap and getting enough sleep at night to combat the fatigue in the first trimester....and even that just makes it bearable. In a couple weeks it will ease off and get better!

Amy and Lexi...hope all is well. Been missing you hot mama's!

Well it is another sweltering day outside...I feel so bad for my dog who hasn't gotten a proper walk in a LONG time! Thank goodness for indoor workout facilities and my trusty ole spinning bike and treadmill or else I'd be in trouble! I'm soooo ready for Fall!

As you can all see from my pic...my belly in the past 2 weeks has officially "popped" and I am looking pregnant as opposed to a chunky monkey these days! It only took about 6 months! lol! At least I know I had some rockin strong abs!

Well the plan for today is the treadmill for 60 mins and toning for 60. I won't be working out this weekend because we are going to be staying at the hotel in the city and all I wanna do is relax with my hubby. We will be doing lot of walking...but I don't really consider wandering around shops true exercise. Looking forward to PF Changs for dinner and Cheesecake Factory for dessert Saturday night! YUM!

Hope you all have a healthy day!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options

My husband and I just found out that we are pregnant with our first. My first doctors appt isn't until next Friday to see how far I am along. So far no morning sickness, just evening nauseau...

I have tons of questions but here is my main one. I have worked hard to get where I am with my weight. So far I can't stand the eggs, cheese or milk. I cravvveee burgers, fries, and anything with bread. I try to keep up with fruits but I can't get enough of them! I'm always hungry!! Forget the veggies- I can't keep them down...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm rather tired of mini bagels, light cream cheese & fruit!
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Hey ladies can I join? I'm 28 weeks pregnant still trying to keep up the running and strength training workouts. I stopped tracking my food and exercise on MFP while prego, just been eating off of intuition and listening to my body. So far I've gained 18lbs so right on track for a healthy weight gain but it's still so hard to see that scale in the 150s. At least it's no where near the 50lbs I put on with my son! Glad to see theres other ladies out there motivated to stay active during pregnancy!
  • Raynamama
    Options
    Hey ladies can I join? I'm 28 weeks pregnant still trying to keep up the running and strength training workouts. I stopped tracking my food and exercise on MFP while prego, just been eating off of intuition and listening to my body. So far I've gained 18lbs so right on track for a healthy weight gain but it's still so hard to see that scale in the 150s. At least it's no where near the 50lbs I put on with my son! Glad to see theres other ladies out there motivated to stay active during pregnancy!

Welcome! Sounds like you're having a very happy, healthy pregnancy! :o) Congrats!
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with food right now. Even when I feel hungry nothing really sounds appealing to me. I try to think of something I want to eat, but nothing really jumps out at me.
  • Raynamama
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with food right now. Even when I feel hungry nothing really sounds appealing to me. I try to think of something I want to eat, but nothing really jumps out at me.

I hear you ;) that happens to me like every day - it's a constant struggle to decide on what to eat and to try to make healthy choices, especially when you think you like something and then you get it and your stomach turns...not fun! I'm just hoping it gets easier in the 2nd trimester! lol, that's what everyone says! :o)
  • SLD0125
    SLD0125 Posts: 22
    Options
    Looks like I may be the largest mama on board here. I am going to be 11 weeks tomorrow with my 3rd child. And unfortunately I was already up almost 20 pounds from my lowest weight b4 getting pregnant. I am trying so hard to concentrate on eating well and not getting out of control again as I firmly admit I am a food addict. So it will be nice to have others to talk and share with.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Welcome SLD0125! Doesn't matter if you are the biggest or smallest, we are all just soon to be mommies who are making a choice to be healthy and active during our pregnancies. I too am a food addict and have struggled with my weight most of my 20s. I've been 200+lbs and I've been 138lbs as my lowest weight, and everything in between. You don't have to be a size 2 to be a Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant mama....you just have to have a passion for being healthy and staying as active as you can! So jump right in!

Welcome supermom! Glad to have you join us!

Kristy and Rayna I felt the same way! Hungry yet everything seemed to not sound good. The 2nd trimester is MUCH better and I eat pretty normal to what I ate prepregnancy. It will get better.

Well I'm headed to my Bradley Method class this morning. Even though we have to drive over an hour to get there, I still think it is so worth it! After the class we are checking into a fancy hotel in downtown Kansas City and spending the day walking around the shops (Pottery Barn Kids here I come! lol) and tonight we are eating at two of my fav places, PF Changs for dinner and Cheesecake Factory for dessert! I'm also wanting to stop by the museum downtown and check out the Monet exhibit...hopefully hubby is up for it.

I have a question for you ladies...what are your thoughts on Maternity pictures? I wasn't sold on the idea because I'm not one for "sexy here's my preggo belly" pics, but I found a photographer that I absolutely love and is doing Charlee's pics (yes, I know...I've already scheduled pictures for a baby that isn't even here yet, but she books up fast so I've got her for 3 shoots in the first year!). Her style is amazing and I love the pics she has done with other couples and expecting mommies. I don't want to regret not doing them, but I don't know what I would do with the pics once we did the shoot. Not like I'm going to hang it in the living room or anything.... What do you ladies think? Are you going to do them?

And where have so many of the ladies gone? Amy, Andrea, Lexi....we miss you! Hope all is well!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    My husband and I just found out that we are pregnant with our first. My first doctors appt isn't until next Friday to see how far I am along. So far no morning sickness, just evening nauseau...

I have tons of questions but here is my main one. I have worked hard to get where I am with my weight. So far I can't stand the eggs, cheese or milk. I cravvveee burgers, fries, and anything with bread. I try to keep up with fruits but I can't get enough of them! I'm always hungry!! Forget the veggies- I can't keep them down...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm rather tired of mini bagels, light cream cheese & fruit!

Congrats on the baby!

I craved junk food in the beginning of the pregnancy as well. I admittedly had my very first fast food splurge since 2003 while in that phase of the pregnancy. I didn't do it more than 2 or 3 times...and thank goodness I realized that food was still nasty, so that's good. Anyways, in the first trimester it is difficult for many women to eat in a healthy manner. Our hormones are completely crazy and we have lots of food aversions and lots of not so healthy cravings. I'd recommend filling up on the healthy stuff that you can stomach (ie. fruit) and making sure your serving sizes of the not so healthy stuff (ie. hamburger and fries) is minimal. Like get a big thing of mixed cut up fruit and then a kids size burger and fries (just a suggestion). Like I said before, it does get better in the 2nd trimester.