College/University OFFICIAL WEIGHT LOSS HELP THREAD

Options

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

I'm a non-traditional student starting my 3rd year after a 10 year break. I was surprised at how hard it was to eat healthier on campus!

Jennifer
    Auburn University Montgomery
    History

We are in the same boat then! Plus our states are neighbors :smile:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My first year in college I got addicted to running so I actually lost a few pounds of fat, but I lost the drive somewhere in between sophomore year and my junior year. Definitely utilize the gym!

The hardest time of year is winter (I go to school in IL) because the cafeteria only makes "comfort food". I hate it, both the taste and the damage it does to my overall health.
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    This is a great idea!

I'm going to be a sophomore at Lewis & Clark this fall, with a double major in biochemistry and french studies.
    Unfortunately, last year I definitely gained the freshman fifteen (20), going from 135 to 155. I'm down to 150 now, but still working on it. I try to run and exercise, but it's just so hard with all of my classes to fit it in =/
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Not many in england on this thread.

I didn't realise some places you could actually plan schedules yourselves. Here we get given a time table and that's it we turn up or we miss the class. I still haven't gotten my timetable yet i'm just hoping between classes, homework and my kids timetable i have time to do some exercise too.

It's harder that i don't drive so with the buses i'll be back and forwards all the time and wont have anywhere to stash any gear while i'm in uni and i'm already wondering how i'm going to carry all my books and my lunch around let alone swimming costumes or such like. Still hopefully it'll all mean less time to snack *lol*
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not many in england on this thread.

I didn't realise some places you could actually plan schedules yourselves. Here we get given a time table and that's it we turn up or we miss the class. I still haven't gotten my timetable yet i'm just hoping between classes, homework and my kids timetable i have time to do some exercise too.

It's harder that i don't drive so with the buses i'll be back and forwards all the time and wont have anywhere to stash any gear while i'm in uni and i'm already wondering how i'm going to carry all my books and my lunch around let alone swimming costumes or such like. Still hopefully it'll all mean less time to snack *lol*

That would be so tough! I couldn't imagine not being able to create my own schedule. I try to get my classes on the same days so that I have whole days off to do homework so that I am not staying up late at night, during summer semester that is a little harder to do since it is squeezed into 8 weeks, at least I do have Friday's off since there aren't classes on Friday's during summer.
  • ksabato
    ksabato Posts: 1
    Options
    With regard to the fast food comments: if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you can download an app called "Fast Food Calories." It has the nutrition facts of dozens of restaurants saved on it (and it doesn't need the internet to show you the info!). Granted, it might not have your favorites, but It could help you to make better choices when you're faced with Bad vs. Worse.

Oh..I almost forgot: Kevin, Sophomore, Georgia Tech, some sort of engineering. (can't decide!)

Here's the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-food-calories/id402447013?mt=8
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    With regard to the fast food comments: if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you can download an app called "Fast Food Calories." It has the nutrition facts of dozens of restaurants saved on it (and it doesn't need the internet to show you the info!). Granted, it might not have your favorites, but It could help you to make better choices when you're faced with Bad vs. Worse.

Oh..I almost forgot: Kevin, Sophomore, Georgia Tech, some sort of engineering. (can't decide!)

Here's the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-food-calories/id402447013?mt=8

Thanks! I'll have to get that just in case!
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    im hopeing to lose my freshman 15 an alot more
    i go to Johnson & Wales University
    Culinary Arts
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a senior in college!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to join, but I've only just started using the forums today.

Kim
    Western Governors University
    Majoring in Special Education k-12

WGU is my 3rd school, and I've gone through 3 different majors...first it was business, then it was liberal arts, now my current, education. :)

My freshman year (aka: my first ever year of community college), was terrible, eating-wise. I didn't get out of class 'til 10pm, so all that was open in the area I lived in back then was Sonic and Taco Bell. So my dinners consisted of that. Not cool.

My "freshman year" of my second community college after I moved back home to Florida wasn't much better. I was eating healthier (in that, I wasn't living off of fast food and ramen noodles), but I was drinking a lot. It got to a point that when I saw the day-after photos of the table I was sitting at, and all of the drink cups in front of me, I was disgusted with myself. I couldn't believe that I had drank that much...and worse, that it was a regular thing for me (at least twice a week, it seemed), not to mention the effect it was having on me financially. Long Islands may be 2-for-1 at most bars, but when they're $7 to begin with, and you've got a half dozen in front of you...? That adds up. :P

Now I'm going into my "freshman year" at WGU, which is a distance learning university, up until I go for my on-site student teaching, anyway. I will no longer have an excuse to eat fast food, because I'll be at home doing my course work. Unlike most people, I like grocery shopping, so I like to find new, healthy stuff to try. I've recently gotten into the veggie Morning Star Farms products, thanks to my best friend, which are really healthy. I live with my boyfriend, and he is extremely supportive of us eating healthier, working out. It's amazing to have encouragement 24/7 from the people around you, and I feel lucky to have that, since I realize a lot of people don't always have that postive encouragement.

I also don't don't drink anymore. I haven't drank since a friend of mine's 21st birthday, which was March of last year. 1 year and 4 months of absolutely no alcohol! :)

My best advice is to definitely cut out the alcohol. You can have a good time without it. I think I saw someone post something earlier in this thread about it, and I'm gonna back up their statemnt: YOU DON'T NEED ALCOHOL! It does nothing for you health-wise. I've heard that wine has health benefits, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, but Long Islands, Mai Tai's, Cosmopolitans, and, of course, BEER, have no health benefits. They're empty calories. And you can have fun without them. Plus, no hangovers and unneccesary sickly feelings!
  • nursenicole
    nursenicole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This thread is a great idea. I once was a college student dealing with gaining weight too. What is everyone doing to help keep healthy or lose weight?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've cut out alcohol completely, and now for the past 2 weeks, dessert. If I DO have a dessert, I try to just have a small cup of low-fat frozen yogurt. I'm now to the point where unless I'm staying up really late and get hungry, I don't even want anything at all. :tongue:

The hardest part is going to be Monday (my birthday cake), and then again next Sunday (boyfriend and best friend are taking me to Cheesecake Factory for my birthday).

I've also gotten REALLY serious about exercise. I feel like I have more energy, which is awesome. I'm doing it now while I've got a month and a half break from school, so that when school starts up again, I'll be in a routine that I can maintain. :smile:
  • michaelynj
    michaelynj Posts: 29
    Options
    FINALLY!!!!

MJ - Winston-Salem State University

To all upperclassmen, has anyone experience the Freshman 40+, I have :( I don't think its such thing as the Freshman 15 anymore
  • szczepj
    Options
    Yeah, I've pretty much been cutting out the alcohol from my life too. I don't need it, and hell I don't really even like it so why bother?
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For my weight loss, I've started coming to terms with the fact that enjoying food and losing weight doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself. If I eat something, and I don't know how many calories is in it, I overestimate the calories to keep it on the safe side. This upcoming semster, I'm planning on just not going back for seconds at the all you can eat dining hall(s). I had a hard time freshman year, and resorted to sweet and/or salty things because that helped take my mind off the new juggling act i was/am now required to perform...hence blowing up to 195 from an already overweight 175. But I've set little goals for myself. That's also key.

It really does work for everything in life: don't put to much on your plate, and when you've had enough, back away! :)
  • ___eb_4
    ___eb_4 Posts: 13
    Options
    going into my junior year. feel free to add me! :)
  • szczepj
    Options
    So, how does everyone do breakfast off at school? I'm not much of a morning person and when I get up I have to take my levothyroxin and wait 30-60 minutes to put anything in my stomach.

So, since I have this problem AND I have lots of trouble getting protein for some odd reason I'm going to start drinking some type of protein shake in the mornings!

What do you guys do?
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    A&M Senior

I work out before classes on TH by running a mile then swimming
    Work out after class MWF I do the elliptical and/or bike for 30-40 min and some strength training

i was around 155 in March and now I'm about 131
    aiming for 125-130 lbs by the end of the summer to maintain for the rest of my life :P

i got hit with the junior/senioritis and got lethargic and ate out a lot so thats when i gained all my weight. but its almost gone now!
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    So, how does everyone do breakfast off at school? I'm not much of a morning person and when I get up I have to take my levothyroxin and wait 30-60 minutes to put anything in my stomach.

So, since I have this problem AND I have lots of trouble getting protein for some odd reason I'm going to start drinking some type of protein shake in the mornings!

What do you guys do?

my mom sends me home made granola so i eat about 1/2 cup of that or i eat 1/2 cup oatmeal + honey for my grains
    i drink a cup of almod/soy/cashew milk
    I also eat a fruit of some sort or i make it into a smoothie

p.s. i have no idea what levosomething is so ill have to google that =/
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I gained 55 lbs since I started CC, 4 yrs ago. next month, I'll be starting Northern Arizona University. My schedule is already planned - Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4 classes each day from 8am to 3:30pm with 20 minutes in between. The campus is so big, I won't have time to run to a cafeteria or go to the grocery store to find something to eat.... I need to figure out a way to not starve and not eat junk in between classes.... I could keep food in my car but AZ is pretty hot so things spoil fast..... any ideas???