Do you eat what you want?

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Lol I know this thread is probably a dig at those who decide to cut certain things out of their diet, and by "eat what you want" you probably mean junk food, ice-cream, pizza etc (judging by the responses above) - but yes, I absolutely eat what I want. And what I want is meat, green vegetables, avocado, eggs, cream, cheese, bacon, olive oil, pate, oysters and seafood and other such terrific healthy food.

This is me too. That's not to say that I don't eat pizza or cookies or ice cream. I eat all of these things when I want them, but usually in small amounts, because that's usually all I want. I spent a good part of my younger years struggling to develop a healthy outlook on food and my body. Now that I am in my middle years, I feel very good about where I am with these things. I think a big part of that came from learning to cook and enjoying the meals I make. I cook delicious meals that fit into my macros almost every night. As a result, I have been maintaining my weight for quite a number of years.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes. Do you?

I'm learning too.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some days it takes a lot more planning to fit certain things in than other days, but for the most part I eat what I want everyday.

One thing I never compromise on is dessert. I have it every day. Keeps me sane.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes.

*Nutrition is important!
    ** I eat healthy foods too!

Nice disclaimers. You're learning. ;)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes. Although I acknowledge I need to eat more fruits and vegetables for general health. But eating what I want doesn't affect my weight.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yep as long as it fits within my calories
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Something that I think is sometimes lost or not said by those of us that "eat whatever we want" is that we make conscious decision daily. We regularly have donut day at work, sometimes I eat one, sometimes two and sometimes I choose to not use calories for that. There are foods I used to eat that I very rarely eat now because the "bang for the buck" isn't there, or too many calories for the enjoyment. Heh, I ate breakfast twice today. Once when I normally do, the a friend called out if the blue asking if I want to meet up, so I ate a lite breakfast again. If I go over for the day I'll shave a few calories over the next few days to make it work out. That's moderation to me.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This has been the hardest concept for me to grasp since I started tracking. I thought that when you want to lose weight you had to give up foods you want/crave for grilled chicken...turns out you don't! Since I don't restrict myself I've found that I don't crave the higher calorie foods I once did. It's nice to know that if I want to have a slice of pizza or a bag of chips I can make that work in my daily meal plan.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want every day. What's the point in eating something you don't enjoy at all?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    If it fits into your calories like cookies, chips, ect:? I don't mean every day obviously.

Yes. For example I had poptarts while lifting at 5AM this morning! As long as it fits my macros! Oh, and I'm cutting so I do this whether I'm bulking or cutting. And yes, every day includes things like poptarts, rice krispies, chocolate, pizza, burgers etc. But full disclosure, every day also includes grilled chicken, rice, boiled broccoli etc too. I eat clean enough to hit my macros and "dirty" enough to retain my sanity and enjoy life.

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. This is probably one of the best answers I've seen to this question regarding moderation and balance.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I try to eat a balanced diet to include more veggies and fruits than I used to eat, but yes, I eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calorie goals!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    If it fits into your calories like cookies, chips, ect:? I don't mean every day obviously.

Yes. For example I had poptarts while lifting at 5AM this morning! As long as it fits my macros! Oh, and I'm cutting so I do this whether I'm bulking or cutting. And yes, every day includes things like poptarts, rice krispies, chocolate, pizza, burgers etc. But full disclosure, every day also includes grilled chicken, rice, boiled broccoli etc too. I eat clean enough to hit my macros and "dirty" enough to retain my sanity and enjoy life.

This needs to be out on a poster for "Moderation"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat what I want.

What I want is defined by many things, including wanting to eat a nutritious diet, not be fat (i.e., I don't overeat usually), wanting to feel good, various training objectives, as well as, of course, wanting to eat food that tastes good (all of my food also tastes good unless I order badly or mess up cooking or try something new I end up not caring for).

Also, I really enjoy eating lots of foods that would be considered nutrient dense, so I see no conflict between all the goals above and eating what tastes good to me.

I admit that I don't always eat some things as often as I might want or in the quantities I might want, but life is full of tradeoffs. Even back when I didn't care about calories and went to a favorite restaurant and saw two dishes that both looked amazing I still would pick only one, because you can't have everything that you might want at all times.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    e2hizh7hhxan.jpg

only 1 a week
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do eat what I want, but I have found that what I want is to continue following the low sugar, high-protein and lower-carbohydrate plan that my doctors have recommended that has helped me lose more than 50% of my body weight. I love the way I feel and don't feel deprived of anything. There are a lot of foods that I used to eat in mass quantity that I just don't want anymore because I want my A1C, cholesterol, and triglycerides to stay where they are and I don't like the way eating the way I used to makes me feel. If I feel like I need a "sometimes food," I'll have a little, if it fits within my macros. That being said, the only treat I feel I have ever fully denied myself is a shamrock shake. I'm trying to come up with a healthier version because it just won't fit within my macros.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Yes.

*Nutrition is important!

You left out the inquisition over the OPs physical, mental and emotional health.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I too eat whatever I want. I'm focusing in protein right now, so I try to include a lot of foods that I find tasty and also include decent amounts of protein. I also find ways to fit in my treats in the amounts that make them satisfying to me. For instance, I don't keep pints of ice cream in the house because a 1/2 cup serving doesn't satisfy me. I will, however, stop and get a medium frozen custard cup on the way home from a long ride, since I'm not very hungry at that time and won't want to just keep on going after eating the generous but reasonable portion.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Yes.

*Nutrition is important!

You left out the inquisition over the OPs physical, mental and emotional health.

Too late to edit my post. I will add a third disclaimer.

*** OP if you are suffering from, or feel you may be suffering from, an eating disorder, please seek support from a trained professional immediately.