Cabbage soup diet

Options

Replies

• momtomaddy27
    momtomaddy27 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My twin brother and I were taken by the state at three years old from my parents care. There was a moldy jar of jelly on the table and that was it. We were 15 & 17 pounds at 3 and severely malnourished. Not looking for sympathy, just reiterating there is no such thing as starvation mode!
    Sorry to go off post!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess If you read the article, it explains more about how starvation mode is real. It's an evolutionary adaptation, and as someone who has been in and out of eating disorder treatment programs and talked with countless doctors and nutritionists, they'll all tell you that when the body doesn't receive enough calories, it starts to try and hold onto any fat received, in an effort to survive. That's why people who are anorexic, for example, experience muscle wasting....Their bodies aren't receiving enough calories, so the body begins to try and get calories and fat from other places. The article is really good and informative. It probably explains it better than I am. ;)

This right here your own words were, exactly what I was stating which; contradicts starvation mode! How's the body able to, take calories via; the body & use them if, the body's holding onto them instead?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    My twin brother and I were taken by the state at three years old from my parents care. There was a moldy jar of jelly on the table and that was it. We were 15 & 17 pounds at 3 and severely malnourished. Not looking for sympathy, just reiterating there is no such thing as starvation mode!
    Sorry to go off post!

I understand but am sorry for, your situation though! However thank you for being open to, providing the necessary information against that false belief pertaining to; starvation mode!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess It seems like you're dismissing lots of good science and mainstream ideas, as well as my personal experiences with witnessing this phenomenon....Perhaps we should move this part of the discussion to the "Debate: Health & Fitness" section in the forums? I don't want to take over the OP's thread...

You should check out the threads already existing to help you, or debate your information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10497023/understanding-the-starvation-mode-myth
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10484592/one-of-the-most-debated-topics-starvation-mode

Good reading.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess The body does that because it isn't getting calories from outside food, so it begins to consume muscle to get calories, hence what many have called "starvation mode". The body is starving for nutrients and calories, and when it doesn't receive them, it tries to get those same things from other sources, which only happens when the body is starving, which leads to an evolutionary adaptation where it holds onto any last drop of fat the person in starvation mode puts into their body via food. I'm going to suggest we move this to the other forum thread I was talking about, and I'd be happy to debate this with you on there. To the OP, hope all this combined info. has been helpful! :)
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @Timshel_ Agreed, and thanks for pointing that out about the other threads! I've encouraged the user I was responding to, to do the same, because this thread wasn't originally started to get into these sorts of specifics.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess The body does that because it isn't getting calories from outside food, so it begins to consume muscle to get calories, hence what many have called "starvation mode". The body is starving for nutrients and calories, and when it doesn't receive them, it tries to get those same things from other sources, which only happens when the body is starving, which leads to an evolutionary adaptation where it holds onto any last drop of fat the person in starvation mode puts into their body via food. I'm going to suggest we move this to the other forum thread I was talking about, and I'd be happy to debate this with you on there. To the OP, hope all this combined info. has been helpful! :)

Which means that, the body's cannibalizing it's fat,etc., not stockpiling it, which's what; starvation mode claims to do instead!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried this diet with successful weight loss? I'm gonna be doing this for the next week and would love to hear and share the experience!

These kind of diets are great for short term needs...my coach recently did something similar to make weight for his power lifting meet...I've known people to do similar when they prepping for contests or just want to make a splash for a beach vacation.

It isn't a long term solution for weight management and doing it long term would result in numerous nutritional deficiencies if you strictly stuck to the diet. Protein and dietary fat are essential nutrients and you would be sorely lacking in both. Not to mention, for long term maintenance of a healthy weight, you're going to have to actually learn how to eat properly.
  • JustMissTracyToo
    JustMissTracyToo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess Starvation mode is not a myth. Here's an article for more information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/264810-weight-loss-starvation-mode/

Starvation mode is not a real thing.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess @MaddieRainbowHealth
    Soooo... You're both right?

The issue: Most people shout 'starvation mode' to claim CICO doesn't work. (i.e. I'm eating 800 cal, and can't lose)
    Set aside the fact that I'm skeptical that people who make these claims are really counting calories correctly..

However the real issue is that if you eat too few calories, your body IS going to try and keep you alive. It WILL make you sluggish and tired, convince you NOT to tap your foot, use the stairs, park your car farther out, go for that run.

Remember, most of the calories you burn during the day, are NOT from your workout. You burn more just doing your daily activities. Drop your activity, your CO drops dramatically. Obviously this means you would have to drop calories more drastically to compensate. (not really a good idea)

The Livestrong article is only claiming that you will move more if you have the energy to do so. So a smaller calorie deficit is better than a large one....
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I didn't think this was around. I tried this when I was in college over 20 years ago. By day 3, the smell of that soup made me nauseated. :D
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add to my previous post..

The term 'starvation mode' is overloaded.

Obviously people die of starvation in third world countries, and in first world countries of anorexia.

The issue most often discussed on these boards is related to people who are trying to create too large a deficit (if they're counting properly in the first place)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Anyone tried this diet with successful weight loss? I'm gonna be doing this for the next week and would love to hear and share the experience!

The Dolly Parton diet circa 1970's.......this is still making the rounds huh?

This is an awful diet. You will lose some water weight, learn to hate certain foods.....and the weight will come back as soon as you resume regular eating. This is from personal experience.

Weight loss is just the FIRST step. Keeping the weight off requires changes. The Dolly Parton diet isn't going to give you any tools required for weight maintenance.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    You'll fart a lot.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @DeficitDuchess @MaddieRainbowHealth
    Soooo... You're both right?

The issue: Most people shout 'starvation mode' to claim CICO doesn't work. (i.e. I'm eating 800 cal, and can't lose)
    Set aside the fact that I'm skeptical that people who make these claims are really counting calories correctly..

However the real issue is that if you eat too few calories, your body IS going to try and keep you alive. It WILL make you sluggish and tired, convince you NOT to tap your foot, use the stairs, park your car farther out, go for that run.

Remember, most of the calories you burn during the day, are NOT from your workout. You burn more just doing your daily activities. Drop your activity, your CO drops dramatically. Obviously this means you would have to drop calories more drastically to compensate. (not really a good idea)

The Livestrong article is only claiming that you will move more if you have the energy to do so. So a smaller calorie deficit is better than a large one....

Which describes, metabolism lowering! Sort of like driving a vehicle, without the heat or air conditioning on; it uses less fuel to get you to your destination but it's still using fuel!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I tried this several years ago, took advice from a friend. While the soup doesn't taste bad, I really like cabbage - holy heck did it go through me. Moral of the story - it's not sustainable. You're restricting your calories, it doesn't have much to do with the combination of food your eating. But if nothing else, try it for the delicious soup :smile:
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Just wanted to add to my previous post..

The term 'starvation mode' is overloaded.

Obviously people die of starvation in third world countries, and in first world countries of anorexia.

The issue most often discussed on these boards is related to people who are trying to create too large a deficit (if they're counting properly in the first place)

The only time a, body'll hold onto to fat's if; it's overfed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This is an awful diet. You will lose some water weight, learn to hate certain foods.....and the weight will come back as soon as you resume regular eating. This is from personal experience.

Weight loss is just the FIRST step. Keeping the weight off requires changes. The Dolly Parton diet isn't going to give you any tools required for weight maintenance.

Will you get bigger boobs on this diet though? That is the real question...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

Will you get bigger boobs on this diet though? That is the real question...

Are you wanting bigger ones @cwolfman13 ? Won't that slow down your cycling. I mean, if that is your goal I ain't judging.