March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - Hugs to you. Sending thoughts of wellness in your direction.

@JessicaMcB- That is unreal. I can't imagine that somebody would do such a thing. Please be careful out there.

@Orphia Woo hoo! That's quite a great accomplishment...congrats!

@ariceroni - I love the outfits. So cool that your mom did that with you. And congrats on a fantastic run!

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB - So much about that is wrong. I hope she and her baby are OK. So hard to believe the "blame the victim" mentality so many have toward women.

@Orphia - Wow! That's fantastic!

@MobyCarp - Interesting about switching to light shoes as a way to force yourself into correcting your form. Count me intrigued and considering that.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB -
    I've been following the discussion of barefoot and minimalist running with some interest. I wear light weight but not minimalist road shoes (Saucony Kinvaras) and found that cross country spikes (Saucony Kilkennys) are even lighter. Where I came from: As a new runner, the local Fleet Feet put me into Brooks Adrenalines. These are heavy by my current standards, and they have a 12 or 13 mm heel drop. I had some foot injury issues, and one thing the PT mentioned was that my weak hip abductors made it hard for me to control my foot strike, so I was messing up my foot. Fixed the weak hip abductors, and started focusing on form.

Yes- Fleet Feet put me into Adrenalines too back when...They feel like giant heavy boats on my feet compared to my usual shoes and my form in them bothers my knees.

If you do any trail running in harder terrain or where there are thorns and find your shoes falling apart, trade in the Kilkenny's for Brooks Mach. (I started with Kilkenny's since they were known to be on the wider side for XC shoes - I have wide feet that won't fit in most XC shoes - and they fell apart ridiculously quickly..ripped and some of the spike housings would loosen and come out. The Brooks Mach shoes fit my wide feet amazingly well and have taken quite a beating - I've actually had to replace the spikes several times, which is something I never came close to getting the chance to do in the Kilkenny's.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I didn't read a word of it.
    @JessicaMcB that is just so messed up, both the incident and the blaming the victim!
    @Orphia totally fabulous run!
    @girlinahat I was just listening to a podcast which talked about a frequent cause of getting up in the middle of the night around that time. They were interviewing Dr. Phil Maffetone and he says he sees it frequently. It had to do with the body releasing high levels of the stress hormone cortisol at night, when the level should be low. If you're interested, read this article about overtraining, particularly the "Stage 2" section. I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of form and injury prevention particularly for longer distances. I don't think I'll become a barefoot runner (I have the same concerns as @MobyCarp ), but I do see myself replacing my high drop, high cushioned shoes with more minimalist shoes as I wear out what I have. I'm too cheap to just get rid of the 5 pair of road shoes I have now.
    @Stoshew71 thanks! It was a very close, competitive first half! I've seen the Jayhawk games play out like that many times this season. They start out with cold shooting, the opponent is able to stay close or get a lead, then early in the second half the Jayhawks find their shot, figure out how to stop the opponent's shooters, and away they go!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that stated that it can take an experience runner anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to effectively transition from 12mm drop shoes to 0-4mm drop. I think the longer you have been running in the higher drop shoes, the harder it becomes. Unfortunately, the article did not give any advice on how best to do this. I have been running in Asics Kayanos for at least the past 10 years, and other similar shoes for almost 10 more. I bought a pair of Saucony Kinvarnas a few years back and man were they rough! I love the light weight, but oh my gosh, I feel like I have duck feet flapping around on the bottom of my legs! I think I need to try and run in them a little bit each week and see if it gets easier.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I'm breathing a little easier after last night's run. As a runner does, I had visions of a long term injury when I hurt my calf Sunday, but after feeling the improvement after Tuesdays' and last night's run, I'm feeling much more optimistic.

5.4 miles last night, in my high drop, high cushioned ASICS Gel Nimbus shoes. I kept the pace about a minute slower per mile, the stride short, and tried to run like I was wearing my minimalist Merrells'. It felt like it worked. I felt lighter on my feet...springier even...as it should. I've read that natural form running (barefoot-like) allows you to store more energy in your Achilles and plantar facia, much like springs, and use that energy on the push-off, and it felt that way. Maybe it was all in my head.

The important thing, though, is that there was ZERO pain or discomfort for the first 4+ miles. Somewhere around the 3+ mile mark my feet started getting sore from the new running form, which is to be expected, so I went back to the old form for the rest of the run, and eventually a slight discomfort came back.

I'm encouraged. I had a 30 mile trail run planned for tomorrow but I think I'm going to run gravel roads instead. There's a spot nearby where I park at an intersection and run out & backs in all directions and can easily stop if or when my calf acts up. I have a 17 mile trail race coming up in two weeks which I want to be able to run as a full training run, not as a rehab run.

Between the skipped runs when my son was home from college, and the skipped & shortened runs from this calf, it's safe to say I won't make either my trail mile goal or my overall mile goal.

g1msubeevoe5.jpg
    g24.jpg 30.9K
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @girlinahat I was just listening to a podcast which talked about a frequent cause of getting up in the middle of the night around that time. They were interviewing Dr. Phil Maffetone and he says he sees it frequently. It had to do with the body releasing high levels of the stress hormone cortisol at night, when the level should be low. If you're interested, read this article about overtraining, particularly the "Stage 2" section.

@girlinahat here's another good article about getting up in the middle of the night, and sleep as it pertains to training:
    http://sock-doc.com/cortisol-and-sleep/

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not interested in barefoot running myself, but I did like a pair of 4mm drop trail shoes I purchased. I am keen on getting a pair of zero drop Altras, but right now I have about a dozen running shoes with plenty of mileage to burn before I'm going there.

But it will happen. Might not be until next year though :lol:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    In regards to the 0 drop, minimalist, barefoot running discussion, Born to Run is an excellent read that discusses the topic.

My 1st pair of shoes were an 8mm drop. I read that book, and wanted to decrease so I went to the Kinvaras from there, which were a 4mm drop. Then down to 0 drop. It was a pretty easy transition for me, but I hadn't been running long. I will say the 1st day of 0 drop shoes didn't result in immediate love. The 2nd day was great though. Right now I have Altras and both my road and trail shoes are pretty cushioned. Not Hoka type cushioned. I do want to try a road shoe with less cushioning. However, I do not really have a desire to feel rocks underneath my tender feet when running trails. Ouch! ;)

I've tried barefoot running just around the house and a tad on my street. The grass in Texas is drought resistant so it's not soft at all. There are also fire ant beds and stickers that keep me from trying to run in the grass.
  • SAFC1965
    SAFC1965 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    01/03 4.17
    02/03 Rest
    03/03 3.09
    04/03 Rest
    05/03 7.50
    06/03 Rest
    07/03 Rest
    08/03 4.22
    09/03 Rest
    10/03 3.15
    11/03 Rest
    12/03 9.0
    13/03 Rest
    14/03 Rest
    15/03 4.22
    16/03 Rest
    17/03 3.21
    18/03 Rest
    19/03 6.39
    20/03 Rest
    21/03 Rest
    22/03 5.30
    23/03 Rest
    24/03 3.26

Total 53.51/70 target

Came down with a very heavy cold today. Praying it doesn't hit my chest.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.86 miles
    02/03 Rest
    03/03 2.78
    04/03 Rest
    05/03 7.05
    06/03 Rest
    07/03 Rest
    08/03 3.80
    09/03 Rest
    10/03 2.89
    11/03 Rest
    12/03 8.10
    13/03 Rest
    14/03 Rest
    15/03 3.77
    16/03 Rest
    17/03 2.90
    18/03 Rest
    19/03 5.67
    20/03 Rest
    21/03 Rest
    22/03 4.71
    23/03 Rest
    24/03 2.89

Total 48.42/60target

Run felt good this morning, it was a quick one before work. I felt quicker than the same time last week but I was slower JUST :(
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    @Orphia That is an awesome run. It really is inspirational to read :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I have 9-mile long weekday runs now, lol. And omg, this is the worst I've ever screwed up weather conditions and attire. I accidentally packed my non-waterproof jacket instead of my waterproof one. The rain started just about 1 mile into my run. So for 8 of my 9 miles, I got absolutely soaked through, wearing just my non-waterproof jacket with a t-shirt underneath, in 42°F temps, with a damn headwind on the way back. At least I had my hat to keep the water out of my eyes. This was truly one of those mind over matter runs. Everything on me was cold, and it took me forever to change afterwards because my hands were literally stiff from being cold. I still have my coat on at my desk at work, lol. BUT, the miles got done!!! Victory!!!

You're coming over to the dark side. Before you know it, anything less than 6 miles won't be worth messing with.