March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui thanks for checking on me. I'm still having pain on and off in my hip but my biggest issue is I'm just so busy at work that I haven't had time to breathe.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    03/02: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:29 pace
    03/04: 3.04 mile easy run, 9:31 pace
    03/05: 10.07 mile long run, 9:28 pace
    03/06: 3.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace
    03/08: 4.01 mile easy run, 9:32 pace
    03/09: 6.03 mile run - 4 mile tempo, 8:08 average pace
    03/10: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 20 min XT
    03/12: 12.05 mile long run, 9:28 pace
    03/14: 5.00 mile tempo run
    03/16: 4.19 mile easy run, 9:41 pace
    03/17: 4.08 mile easy run, 9:29 pace
    03/19: 10 mile race - 1:19:00 - new PR!!!
    03/20: 3.07 mile easy run, 9:30 pace
    03/22: 4.08 mile easy run, 9:20 pace
    03/24: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:28 pace
    Total: 81.17 miles

Notes:
    Easy four miles today. Spring has finally arrived in Chicago so I'm really excited about some warmer weather ahead! My left calf was feeling a little tight/sore yesterday and today, but I didn't feel it at all on today's run so that's a good sign. I'm planning to massage it some tonight and get in a good foam roll/stretching session tomorrow morning after I bike so that it will hopefully be all back to normal before Sunday's long(ish) run. And then on Monday kicks off an eight week training cycle for my upcoming half marathon! My goal was originally 1:47 (would be a 1.5 min PR), but after how well the 10 miler went I've revised my goal to 1:44! This is a little faster than predicted (1:45:16) from my 1:19 10 miler, but I think eight weeks of training and a good taper should be enough to get me that extra 1:16. So excited by how quickly I've been able to regain my running fitness!

@Stoshew71 it all makes sense now :joy:
    @RespectTheKitty sending lots of healing thoughts your way. I hope the outpatient program will help you find healing and serenity :heart:
    @Orphia fantastic run! And your selfie is super cute :blush:
    @JessicaMcB so awful and sorry to hear about that poor woman!

I think it's great that we are talking about how sadly dangerous/hard it can be to be a female runner, as I'm sure many of us know firsthand. The recent Runner's World article was pretty great, but seemed to underestimate the frequency/severity of harassment in my opinion. A lot of my friends/family or male running buddies are surprised, outraged, and understandably worried when they hear just how bad it can be. I consider myself a fairly level-headed, brave person but I'm always so paranoid about getting attacked while running that sometimes it can be hard to even make it out the door! Especially because a portion (~1 mile) of my usual running route isn't the best neighborhood and I get harassed (honking, hollering, whistling, lewd comments, excessive staring, etc) almost every run. Twice I've even had guys stop and take pictures of me while I was running, which really creeped my out but according to the police it was perfectly legal for them to do that! I never know the best way to react to people like that, so I usually just pretend to ignore it but that makes me feel that I'm implicitly condoning that type of behavior instead of making it clear that I find it unacceptable. How do others in here deal with harassment? Or any suggestions on how to (safely) make a stand?

exercise.png

Training For:
    03/19: Excalibur 10 Miler (Viera, FL) 1:19:00 - new PR!
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Guys who are looking for running shorts with phone pockets:

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=15bbbd3dba802f076c6982920&id=fc4fec263e&e=aa829c7935

Kippo shorts are 2 for $95 until March 28. They have 4 pockets each.

I'd wear these if I were a guy. I'm subscribed because they're planning to release women's shorts.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Guys who are looking for running shorts with phone pockets:

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=15bbbd3dba802f076c6982920&id=fc4fec263e&e=aa829c7935

Kippo shorts are 2 for $95 until March 28. They have 4 pockets each.

I'd wear these if I were a guy. I'm subscribed because they're planning to release women's shorts.

@Orphia I'm currently looking at the BOA 1in American flag shorts to become my new race shorts #merica :D Having a cell pocket would be interesting though. I usually hold it in my hand with the headphone cable wrapped around my fingers.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    A question:

Can you please share your warm up prior running? I am curious! Maybe I need to change something because I am prone to injuries.

Tnx in advance
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    A question:

Can you please share your warm up prior running? I am curious! Maybe I need to change something because I am prone to injuries.

Tnx in advance

@NikolaosKey Not sure if it's best, but my warm up routine is as follows:

10 front to back leg swings on each leg
    10 side to side leg swings on each leg
    10 ankle flexes for each foot (I stick my right leg out at about a 45 degree angle with my toe pointed straight, then I flex my foot, and alternate to the other foot.)
    10 knee rolls (with my feet together, I put my hands on my knees, circling my knees 5x to the left, then 5x to the right.)
    Some high skipping

I'm curious what others do as well.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @NikolaosKey I don't typically warm up before easy or long runs. For speed work, tempo runs, or races this is what I usually do: some easy running to warm up (1 mile, longer for short races) then ~100m each of high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, and toy soldiers (straight leg kicks to the front, toes roughing opposite arm which is outstretched). Then some leg swings like @BeeerRunner mentioned and finally 2-4 strides. Hope this helps!