How Do You Deal With the Toxic/Negative People in Your Live?

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You've got to learn how to control the conversation, how to deflect and turn it back on him. When he's kind, give positive reinforcement. When he's rude, don't tolerate it. Even parents can be trained, the parent child roles are reversed.

If you don't want to dine out with him then tell him NO, run him through a drive-up window for his take out.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I can't offer anything from personal experience. It does sound to me like he needs to be in a home. He is severely overweight, has problems with mobility and can't drive. You could still go see him if he were in a home but his care would largely be off your shoulders and seems it would be a much healthier for you mentally. That would allow you to leave whenever he starts in with his verbal abuse and ensure at the same time that he's being taken care of.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    This is a power struggle. He has no real power do he has to pretend to by belittling you.

Don't let him. Hang up when he talks to you like that on the phone. Leave when he starts on you in person. Say nothing. He'll demand answers, and when he does, tell him why in plain terms without mentioning your feelings and tell him you'll do it every time he pulls that routine with you.

He may react poorly. Continue to come to his house and answer his calls as normal and cut things short consistently if he continues his outbursts--but I bet those will be less and less.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    There's a book you might look into called "The Assertive Woman" by Nancy Stanlee Phelps, recommended by my therapist when I was in a black hole of depression and anxiety. It's been updated since I used it but it was extremely helpful to me. It gave me insights into the situations where I was allowing myself to be intimidated into responding to unreasonable demands in ways that were damaging my emotional and physical health. It provides strategies for responding in assertive ways and discusses the difference between assertive and aggressive. It was a very useful tool when I felt I was in a negative situation with no way out - not a cure-all but helpful for the insights and suggestions. I wish you all the best of luck - I've never been in the situation you describe and can only imagine the pain it's causing you.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. My mother in law is disrespectful and a pain too. We told her many times to stop disrespecting us or we would not have anything to do with her. She did not stop what she was doing and refused to acknowledge she was doing anything wrong.
    About a year ago, we cut off all communication with her. I haven't looked back since. I know my husband has been hurt about it but he also knows it's for the best.
    Not saying that is what you should do, but I do feel like the "he's my dad" argument for allowing it is not healthy. That gives him the upper hand in any situation. You are a good daughter and an adult. When someone treats me poorly, I walk away, family or not. You should start setting boundaries in his behavior and start backing away if he doesn't change.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I don't deal with toxic people at all. I don't have space in my life for people who treat me badly.

^^^^ What they said. Seriously, he maybe your father by blood, but, and I mean no offense, he sure as heck isn't acting like your dad. Just saying. You deserve to be treated with way more respect than that. If I were you, take this advice or leave it, but I'd find someone else to care for him and focus on bettering yourself. I've had toxic people in my life before and I ditched them. I have no room for those kind of people. :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Dealing with blood family is just one of life's serious challenges. Learn to deal, not run away.
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When it comes to family members one can't exactly excavate them from our lives one can love them from a distance though. No one said every family will get on like a house on fire. Still try to work things out though. I find reasoning with the other party helps rather than not wanting to speak on the glaring awkwardness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    There will always be people who are close to you who may be labeled as negative. So here's my take: it's sounds like you want to keep him in your life despite his bad behavior. Best way to get back at a narcissist is to prove what they say WRONG. Narcissist's have a very hard time when they have to admit it. And it kills them when they know people know they are wrong.
    Thing here is that you have to lose the weight to prove it.
    Personally I thrive on when people say I can't/won't achieve something I'm shooting for. But that's just how I'm wired.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont. i dont allow people like that in my life.
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    I know he won't change. Only I can change.

Partly true. People can and do change. We don't know if he ever will, but chances are he won't. All you can do is encourage him to change and remember that the chances are slim to none. You are right that you only have the power to make yourself change. All you can do is encourage him, change yourself and take care of yourself. Limit his access to you. I agree with many others that he should be aware if you aren't around for him to take advantage of you. I agree wholeheartedly with msf74. He has good insight and expresses things very well.

• joeytina8662
    joeytina8662 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband is very similar. He will eat at Hardee's in the morning and ask if I want anything than I'll say no he will say why? I'll explain its to many calories at one meal setting for me. He will laugh. It's small things like that but it feels like it's toxic. I need support right now. But I have learned you can get friends on here that can be your best support so that's my advice prove your dad wrong and find you a good support system on here
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Many people have suggested saying no to him more. I agree with this and also have some suggestions for how to help you do that. I'm thinking since you spend so much time taking care of him that you have neglected yourself. So schedule all your doctor appointments for the year (annual physical, dentist, etc.), find a therapist, join a gym and/or club, sign up for classes... stop giving him all your extra time. It also sounds like you need your own support network, so re-connect with friends/family (that aren't toxic). This way, you have somewhere else to be when you tell him no, making it easier to say no in the first place.

Personally, since you don't want to cut him off completely, I think you should do the bare minimum. Groceries can be ordered online and delivered. Cleaning services can be scheduled. Cut back any extra time with him (no going out to dinner, random phone calls, etc.). As other people have suggested, give yourself permission to leave if he takes it too far.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I cut them off. I don't have time for that in my life.