WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    hys3kcimtwkc.jpg
    Our traditional picture before we leave.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Karen in VA - It just warms the heart to see Olivia's beautiful smile. She is a doll baby. She looks so happy and healthy. Are her kidneys functioning well now?

Baby Mia went to the doctor for a check up on Thursday, she is up to 6.5 lbs and and is doing great. She will, however, have to remain on oxygen for another couple of weeks.

We made national weather news this morning with our forecast of severe weather this afternoon with enhanced chance of tornadoes. We live in "tornado alley" and take these warnings very seriously. We need rain so badly but keeping our fingers crossed that no tornadoes head our way.

Janetr OKC
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Janet fingers crossed for you

Finally on the train going home. My train was an hour late but sometimes they can catch up. I am very homesick as I really don't like travelling for work stuff anymore. An ocean and a beach; now that is a different story.

Overall, I did ok. I exercised every day, maintained my eating regime and only went moderately crazy a few times. I drank 2 whole alcohol drinks.

Can't wait to sleep in my own nest!

<3 Sarah home bound, Ontario.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Heather – pricy yes, but just checked Travelocity $894 usd 717 UK, round trip Heathrow to SF and while this is not a fancy place at all, I have a guest room and full bath you can use, and it is in the front of the house so you could be up in the night and not bother me at all… So costs would be minor, except that airfare! We could go wine tasting, and see SF – no exercise machines but we could walk your feet off! LOL

Olivia is looking so great!!!!

Lanette – there is a refillable cup you can buy for the Keurig, and then you can buy regular ground coffee, tea leaves…. And fill the little cup. A bit of upfront cost but in the long run cheaper and better for the environment

Drove a friend to the SF airport this morning…. Nice to have an hour drive together to chat; and I love the drive.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Katla, I agree about the plastic waste produced by those K-cups. At least I can compost the paper coffee filters and used coffee grounds. I know gardeners who have a deal to pick up the spent coffee grounds from Starbucks and the little espresso stands and add them to their gardens. Worms love it!

Good for you keeping up with the bone density meds.

I think I'm due for a bone density test this year. That's medical one test I don't mind too much since there's not a lot of probing, pinching, stripping or squeezing. :# As I recall it's just lie down on their little table, pull up the sheet, push down the pants and lie still - I think they are shoot thru the hip and femur? And couple minutes of holding still and you're good to go.

I've read they are improving blood tests so much that they are able to detect some cancers and other problems that used to take complicated testing. YAY!!

Karen, I have a couple of the re-usable Keurig pods but find it's just easier for me to use the drip and less messy, but I know folks that use them and love them. I researched the new Keurigs for work last year and they did away with the ability to use re-usable pods for a while = extreme backlash so I think they are available again.

When our old Keurig (from 2011!) finally dies we might not replace it if I can get DH savvy on using the drip.

Birgit, welcome! You'll love this group. You are such an inspiration both with your weight loss and training routine.

Pip, I know a couple folks who used to ride the STP (Seattle to Portland bike ride sponsored by Cascade Bicycle Club for those of you not from the Pacific Northwest). It's now up to 10,000 entrants and really expensive to enter from what I hear even with corporate sponsors, so it's not the fun weekend ride it used to be. And, it was a hassle getting back from Portland for them. Your MS ride sounds much better-gorgeous scenery I'm sure (at least much better than biking close to I-5!)

Chris, way to go on your weight loss! Good for you!! I miss going to movies with GF's (DH can't sit still that long and of course loud-talkers and wiggly kids manage to sit right next to him. Best for everyone if we just watch movies at home, :* .) "Hidden Figures" is on our watch list; I might grab it out of the "Red Box" in town. Nice that your company is able to find homes for perishable food like that instead of being made to dump it. Carrots and hummus is one of my favorite snacks.

Janet, hope you get your much-needed rain w/o any damaging winds or hail!

Have a great Sunday!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Oh crud... I had my fitbit on this morning, just noticed it missing and can't find it... based on the last time it got steps I may have lost it when I stopped to get a cup of coffee on the way to the airport this am.... I called the place they did not get it turned in or see it in the parking lot...

Hoping it turns up... I love having it.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Hey all just texted with Sherry, please send good thoughts her way, she's dealing with the challenges of being low income, and disabled and is feeling depressed. She has a colonoscopy on April 3rd, and not just we are that age one but one following up on a problem... so sending good thoughts her way, especially a week from Monday!

Kim in N. Cal
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Zzzzzz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Sending huge hugs to Sherry <3<3<3 Please pass them on. Being low income and disabled just sucks. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lanette – I did not do well on my food yesterday either, we went to eat Mexican and I had a Margarita and you know there isn’t too many things on their menus that is caloric intake friendly.

I am reading the “Dave Ramsey Complete Guide to Money”. My DDnL#2 sent it to me and said it got her ‘out of debt’. It was a difficult program to follow; but, it worked well for her. Said she loaned it to a friend and when she got it back one disc was missing and all the others had been scratched. I think I would have asked her to replace them if they had been mine. But, going through the book and workbook when she realized that the worksheets needed to be filled out each month. I made a copy of all the worksheets in both the book and the paperback journal for us, and DOS. Knowing them … he won’t even look at it, much less do it. But, maybe after all they have had to do DOS will.

We had talked about buying a Keurig coffee machine, until we saw how much the refills costs.
    Bad thing about pepper spray is they have to be ‘right on you and you have to hit them in their eyes’. I think I’d rather have a Taser gun myself. But, they apparently have to be ‘reloaded’ since there are ‘darts’ that come out when you shoot it.

Any flamingos in that purging? I need to go out and get all my hummingbird feeders out and get them ready to go for when they return. I thought I ‘heard’ one the other day. I do have one that has juice in it so maybe they won’t go elsewhere. My BD used to have about 15 fighting over the one feeder she had right outside her kitchen window. We normally have between 5 and 8.

One of my friends got angry with her ‘family’ NOT doing anything in the way of helping keep her house straightened and cleaned. About a month ago, she systematically purged the entire house. I am surprised she even had the energy to do it all by herself. She not only purged; she organized at the same time. Raises ‘hell’ now if something is left out. Calls them to come get it and put it where it belongs or into the dishwasher unless it needs to be emptied, they they have to do that, too.

Heather – I just learned that one of my former HS classmates and friend just found out that her DDnL has cancer. She told me what kind; but, I don’t remember or even know how treatable it will be. They have 2 young daughters and friend rocked the oldest (4-yrs) to sleep, cried the entire time and wanted her Mommy. This is the same DnL that had the same complication I did with her 2nd pregnancy; but, they did not do any chemo on her. Her oncologist was ‘surprised’ when she told her that she had had a Hydatidiformole pregnancy between her 2 children. It was something that my OB/GYN said could be cancerous if not treated. He treated me, mainly because they knew it had metastasized and they wanted to make sure that it was not already cancerous.

Thankfully, for me, it wasn’t. She needs a lot of prayers! I can’t think of anything worse that being very young when your mother dies; except maybe, have a child die. I know of people who never get over that or it is something they always think of when ‘anniversaries’ and ‘holidays’ roll around.

Karen – Thanks for the pixs of dear Olivia … she is beautiful. Looks like she is going to have dark eyes. We are amazed that our great-niece is not ‘dark’ like her Daddy. Looks exactly like her Mama who is blond, blue eyed. He had really dark eyes and his skin is ‘olive’ and his hair is ‘black’. Well, I guess I should not be surprised, both of our older granddaughters that DOS has are both blue-eyed except for the youngest one.

Katla – That’s good that coffee is a ‘brain food’ (provided that is a ‘good’ thing and you’re not being sarcastic) because I drink 6 cups a day; 3 at breakfast; and 3 after supper. Doesn’t hype me up! Only sometimes makes me have cysts in my breasts; but, I know my breasts well and know when ‘something’ is different. I feel something, call my GYN and see him the next day; depending on the time I call … then I might see him the same day. Strong, strong family history; both sisters are survivors. My oldest one 2x + a tumor on one of her kidney’s that had to be taken off.

Chris – I love movies that are based on ‘true events’, so this will be one that I hope I can watch. It’ll have to come out on TV or through Netflix. The only ‘movies store’ in town has now closed down; or it is selling off its inventory. I think I will ask Louis to go by and see what ‘new’ ones they are selling; maybe none if they are going to transport them to another movie house. I guess now, that most people have TIVO or Hopper their business has fallen off. I want to watch that movie … for the same reason … happened in my time and also about the time that there was a lot of ‘civil’ unrest in some places. Usually, when I go to the mall, I enter through Belk’s outside door. Last week I also walked 40 minutes (that I counted) although probably longer. DH and DOS have gone ‘fishing’ in a pond that belongs to one of their customers. All they have to do is call and ask if they can.

Beth – I love to occasionally have a piece of good Baklava. There is the “Cookie Shop” downtown that sells it some days. I’d probably go on a day they don’t make it. I guess I could call in my order.

Pip – Louis makes breakfast on the weekends. I really like that, such a treat! And I get to sleep as late as I want (on Sundays usually).

Lenora
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! I just read posts this morning. Busy cleaning and cooking/freezing meals for my son for next week (when DH and I are in TX). We had our first "viber" chat with our DD, SIL, and Joaquin. He was wide awake and very verbal! Well, he squeaks and chirps and makes all of those cute very small baby noises. But it was the first time DH has seen him(other than in pictures) and heard him, and he started crying. I knew he would. Big softie! It made me happy, though. He is NOT a traveler by nature. Whether it's by car, RV, plane, train, bus, boat...he would just rather stay home. New places, strange hotels all make him nervous and stressful. So...he has been hemming and hawing about this upcoming trip to Texas. That ended after the viber chat. Now he is starting to use sentences that start with "When we get to Burleson..." and "I wonder if the kids have/need..." It was really fun to see/hear both DD and her hubby talk and interact with the baby. DD (Lauren) speaks to him in both French and English and when she hands Joaquin off to daddy, he talks to him in Spanish. I am so excited for this baby! What a rich cultural/language environment he will have if they continue this. I already told my daughter to be prepared for his language skills to possibly be delayed, due to his brain processing and categorizing the different languages.
    Kim- Hope you find your fitbit! Thanks for the update on Sherry! I think of her often. Please let her know that we are thinking of her and sending lots of love and hugs! Is she able to get online to answer email? I do have her email address. I will just send her a quick note; just in case she is checking her mail! <3
    Beth- I love silent auctions! I am sure your baklava is worth every penny! And Cheesecake? Please! I don't think I have met a cheesecake I didn't like! Yummmmmm! >:)
    Janet- Good news on Mia! Another week on oxygen, not so bad! I bet she gets the healthy baby"seal of approval" on her next visit!
    Karen- Olivia looks wonderful! So alert and content! o:)
    Pip- LOL! Your "before we leave" pic of the pups! Bullwinkle looks a little peeved, Floyd looks tolerant, and poor Yogi just looks confused "Why is mom making us stand in the rain?" :D
    Well, another load of sheets is done. Time to transfer from wash to dryer and dryer to bed. So much work, just so I can relax when I get back after my trip. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lanette. Thank you for your kind words. Being thrifty isn't something I learned from my Mom. I do know that she was, because I remember making powdered milk. She had the habit of making a fine meal then just having coffee saying she wasn't hungry. Really she was letting all of us eat our fill. She would take bites of cold food as she was cleaning up the kitchen. The job of us three girls was to clear off the table and load the dishwasher. I would see my Mom take bites now and then. I sometimes do that, because I don't know if there is enough for me. I need my son to eat his fill, not have to share portions with his overweight Mother! There will come a time, when it will be the Navy's job to feed him, so don't be concerned.

Well today its 100% rain predicted! Agghhhhh!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Rain! We have rain!! OK, there is a little bit of pea hail mixed in but any moisture is so very welcome here. Just heard some thunder...folks to the East of us (NE and KS) look out, these storms have a tendency to intensify when they get out on the plains.

Drama Queen is in full premenopausal hissy fit mode today. 1194344as2gfltseh.gif
    I am working on the last sequence of fabric layout and cutting and it does not want the colors that were originally planned. Seems they are not 'loud and diva proud' enough.
    680946xgtzqepaam.jpg

So I am back to the drawing board trying to find color combinations of fabric I currently have that will work AND there is enough yardage. I will not let her win this time.

Charleen in Colorado (This quilt was talking loud at me from the first time I saw it)
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Beth. That's awesome with your baklava! I remember attending an auction when we were in the SCA doing historical camping. I bought Somme homemade cheese for $40, and some scones for $70!! Oh and Some home made honey liquor for $30! We eat like royalty that weekend! Or persona was 1600's Renaissance, middle class, but my Lord Lee Sharpeyes (my mundane husband), was a sailor so we had things beyond our station!

Becca aka
    Lady Rebekah of Hillsview
    In Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Lanette oh forgot to state I pay $4.99 for a container of Fred Meyer (our local grocery market), French roast coffee. It makes about 185 cups, 24 oz can! That's less than 3 cents a cup!
    Becca
    Thrift Queen! Haha!
    Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LANETTE - The Leslie Sansone vid is on Youtube there's BurnBody Fat 2 mile and Burn Body Fat 3 mile
    2 mile is 33 min and 3 mile is 48 min I like the youtube vids because I can do them in the spare bedroom using my ipad so I don't disturb hubby in lounge

New FitBit arrived will setup tomorrow as have had a few wines today

Kat UK
  • coastalgosgal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Happy Mothering Day to all my UK friends! To those that don't have children, well I personally think there is a mother in each and every woman. Some use that mothering instincts in other ways is all. We are the caregivers of the world!
    Becca
    Going all zen on ya's in
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Kim - Been.looking at flights. Can't see it happening, but I'm fantisising. <3
    B):oB)

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Coffee ~ I bought a 14 cup Cuisinart coffee pot and love it. There is a charcoal filter you drop in every once in a while to keep the coffee tasty. We buy Kirland's brand of Columbian coffee. Decaf & Regular which we mix to take away some of the caffeine.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends

Gloria, wonderful news about Zak. Hope you find help for the headaches.

Lanette, I much prefer to Dilly Dally myself.

MicheleNC, I just hate that Denise hurts your feeling so much and I would have to think that most of the time she doesn’t even realize it. They just have no idea how hurtful the slightest action or word can be. (((Hugs)))

Heather, I love the pic of you and your brother. How nice that he wants a home cooked meal from you.

Charlene, I also have a book with all my passwords in it. I don’t worry about security as there aren’t a lot of hackers that come into my tiny office. I can’t imagine how you ever managed without knowing any of that when your DH passed. Bless your heart.

Karen, Olivia is so alert and looks happy. Keep the pictures coming. We love them.

Birgit, welcome and a huge CONGRATS on your weight loss. I will admit I’m jealous. That is fantastic. Keep up the great work in keeping it off.

Lanette, on your one cup coffee maker, is there a reason you don’t get some of the plastic holders that you put your own coffee grounds in? I use them but then again I’m not too into flavored coffee.

Heather, glad your son sent flowers. My DH is pretty much the same way. He will go if I plan it but not as much fun as if it was actually his idea and he picked up the phone.
    For all you “leggings” lovers, I was just emailed this link to tons of leggings at unreal prices. I have no idea what the quality is but at these prices it might be worth checking out. http://www.wish.com/home?filter=xparam-58d5fa7bd0ecfff803ac98b3&amp;to_address="Janet+Van+Zile"+<jvanzile@sc.rr.com>&amp;iscommerc=1&amp;cmpgnid=58d5fa78d0ecfff803ac98b2&amp;recvuid=58b5935b5497fd19b2be7cf7&amp;uuid=f2dc013a872e499b98964b2d2d1b1121&amp;exzpl=ctp-2&amp;email_type=Wish+Discount I was about 7 pages behind so had to really read fast. There were many I didn’t respond to but it’s not because I’m not thinking of all of you wonderful ladies.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My DD moved to Oregon 3 years ago and I haven’t seen her since. She is going to move back to SC and I’m so excited. The biggest problem is her dog that she calls her Pocket Pup. He’s a Great Dane mix that weighs over 100 pounds. I think DH is going to fly out there to drive him back and have her fly home. He thinks the trip will go faster with just the two of them. It’s a 3000 mile trip no matter how you go and I hate for him to make the trip alone but he insists that it’s his preference. Now I have to get my rear in gear and get her room ready. It’s full of Christmas stuff and clothes that are too big for me. I hope some will go in the garage sale in a couple of weeks.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC