I need some nonjudgemental (relationship) advice

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Scary situation. Keep your eye lids up. You just don't know what he may do. When people are desperate they do desperate things. I would make a police report if you have not already. Make sure you tell him NOT to contact you again. Send this in a written message via email because then you will have a time and date stamp on the thing. Print it and put it in a folder along with copies of any and all police reports as well as a written log complete with dates, times, places, any one who is there to witness anything and as detailed as possible description of any and all run-ins with this guy. One of the biggest mistakes to make (aside from going back to him) would be to miss the chance to collect proof that he is crazy.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    just move on and dont go back.

You obviously set a lot of insecurity in the guy by going off with other men which I think you should have been open about from the beginning. Perhaps he picked up on odd body language that drove him to check your phone. Obviously lack of trust.

Whilst everyone here is blaming the guy because of the picture you have portrayed. I think his motivations are led by your actions.

Please be honest now - does he like you more than you like him? Did you use him a little bit?

Yes, she did a *kitten* thing by cheating on him, which she has acknowledged and admitted is *kitten*. His response is disproportionate and over the top, and rapidly escalating to harassment. When you have been wronged in a relationship, you have to decide whether you can work through it as a couple, which includes forgiving and rebuilding trust. If you can't do that, it's ok--it's super hard!--but in that case, you need to end the relationship and go your separate ways. To stay in a relationship where you've been wronged and you can't or won't move on is self-torture at best, and an attempt to punish the other person by guilting them to death at worst. She had a choice not to cheat, and he had a choice to walk away if he was unable to move on from the cheating. To infer that she deserves what's happening bc she cheated is gaslighting. I highly doubt she'll make that choice again in light of this situation.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    O wow, so many red flags!
    1- a rational non-controlling person does not go through someone's phone
    2- a rational non controlling person does not kick some one out of their house unless they are in fear for their life
    3- He refuses to address the issue and move on- ie continuing to be suspicious, go through your stuff, reading your FB, etc
    4-accused you of having mental issues
    5- is trying to isolate you from your friends
    6-pushing for a fast engagement- a classic abuser tactic
    7- laying all the blame on you - he feels 'betrayed' he gave you a 'second chance' so you owe him one

please don't go back- if you left stuff there and really need it go with several friends to get it. You deserve better than this! Even if it means temp moving back into the family home, that is far better then a controlling, verbally abusive (and who knows when it will slide into physical abuse, which I am sure he will be very apologetic after it happens)
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options

You obviously set a lot of insecurity in the guy by going off with other men which I think you should have been open about from the beginning. Perhaps he picked up on odd body language that drove him to check your phone. Obviously lack of trust.

Whilst everyone here is blaming the guy because of the picture you have portrayed. I think his motivations are led by your actions.

Please be honest now - does he like you more than you like him? Did you use him a little bit?

Yes, she did a *kitten* thing by cheating on him, which she has acknowledged and admitted is *kitten*. His response is disproportionate and over the top, and rapidly escalating to harassment. When you have been wronged in a relationship, you have to decide whether you can work through it as a couple, which includes forgiving and rebuilding trust. If you can't do that, it's ok--it's super hard!--but in that case, you need to end the relationship and go your separate ways. To stay in a relationship where you've been wronged and you can't or won't move on is self-torture at best, and an attempt to punish the other person by guilting them to death at worst. She had a choice not to cheat, and he had a choice to walk away if he was unable to move on from the cheating. To infer that she deserves what's happening bc she cheated is gaslighting. I highly doubt she'll make that choice again in light of this situation.

I was in agreement with you initially and then you showed bias right at the end. How do you know she won't do it again or has regret?

...it sounds like you are dismissing her behavior as a-okay just because she admitted to it? She didn't really have a choice. He found out by going through her phone. If he didn't go through her phone (his doubts obviously confirmed).. would she have stopped? Would she have continued betraying him? If she continued betraying him, would it still be okay as long as she admits it in the end?
    To say his behavior is over the top but hers is passably okay is mind numbing to say the least. If anything, it sounds like she played with his emotions and pushed him to the extreme. I don't condone controlling behavior but I definitely see where this insecurity is coming from and to just accuse him of being some mental abusive man when she's well... you know what I am getting at, is plain wrong!

I think she should walk away and find a man that truly suits her. He's not the one for her.

You are calling him a gas lighter - whats your opinion of her?
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    O wow, so many red flags!
    1- a rational non-controlling person does not go through someone's phone
    2- a rational non controlling person does not kick some one out of their house unless they are in fear for their life
    3- He refuses to address the issue and move on- ie continuing to be suspicious, go through your stuff, reading your FB, etc
    4-accused you of having mental issues
    5- is trying to isolate you from your friends
    6-pushing for a fast engagement- a classic abuser tactic
    7- laying all the blame on you - he feels 'betrayed' he gave you a 'second chance' so you owe him one

please don't go back- if you left stuff there and really need it go with several friends to get it. You deserve better than this! Even if it means temp moving back into the family home, that is far better then a controlling, verbally abusive (and who knows when it will slide into physical abuse, which I am sure he will be very apologetic after it happens)

deserve better as in a guy that would forgive her for going off with several blokes?

I dont understand. Better as in how? Should he drive her to the men she's additionally seeing?

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    run far far away and NEVER look back. Dude sounds psycho controlling.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    walk away find a new place and chalk this up to lesson learned!
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    elpint0r wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Don't go outside alone - or at all

I didn't. I absolutely refused to. I told him it was scary that he even did that. He hung up the phone hysterical and I have no idea what he's capable of doing to himself or me. This is just terrifying.

Next time call the police and get a restraining order. Everything he is doing is *kitten* up but that is taking it to the next level.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I was in agreement with you initially and then you showed bias right at the end. How do you know she won't do it again or has regret?

...it sounds like you are dismissing her behavior as a-okay just because she admitted to it? She didn't really have a choice. He found out by going through her phone. If he didn't go through her phone (his doubts obviously confirmed).. would she have stopped? Would she have continued betraying him? If she continued betraying him, would it still be okay as long as she admits it in the end?
    To say his behavior is over the top but hers is passably okay is mind numbing to say the least. If anything, it sounds like she played with his emotions and pushed him to the extreme. I don't condone controlling behavior but I definitely see where this insecurity is coming from and to just accuse him of being some mental abusive man when she's well... you know what I am getting at, is plain wrong!

I think she should walk away and find a man that truly suits her. He's not the one for her.

You are calling him a gas lighter - whats your opinion of her?

Where did I say her behavior was ok? I said it was *kitten* behavior to cheat on her partner, which she has openly admitted and showed remorse for. She stopped after she was caught, whereas he is escalating at this point. Her hurting him by cheating doesn't justify him continually harassing her after she stopped and they broke up. If she cheats on her next partner, she will be making a bad choice and she will deserve the hurt and anger that her partner will feel. However, there is a huge difference between feeling suspicion, hurt, anger, etc and behaving in ways that are abusive or controlling. I said I doubt she will do this again because she is in a situation that is causing her a lot of fear, worry, guilt, etc, and because I think she understands that her role in this was not good. I fail to see how differentiating between her appropriate guilt over cheating and his over the top continuing harassment and emotional manipulation is somehow giving her a free pass.
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience with both sides of the relationship, it will not work. It's clear he doesn't trust you and probably never will. It's very difficult if not impossible to get that back once broken. Every little problem you have for the rest of your relationship those texts will be thrown in your face. Not to mention the fact that he is talking about an engagement ring now?? That's desperation talking and that can be scary too. I'd walk if I were you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    SO... he just showed up at my mom's house unannounced (from 2 hours away). He calls me and asks me to come outside, he's bawling on the phone, I refused to come out. He's begging for me back. This is the most insane thing that's ever happened to me. I really don't know what to do.

Read up on emotional abuse.
    http://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/emotional-psychological-abuse/emotionally-abusive-men-and-women-who-are-they/
    https://www.womenshealth.gov/violence-against-women/types-of-violence/emotional-abuse.html
    https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/02/20/signs-of-emotional-abuse/

I think you made mistakes but it does not justify hacking into your facebook/phone, checking up on you constantly, going through your stuff, kicking you out twice, crying for you to come back. This is not a healthy person or relationship. Do not go back whatever he says. I know people who were convinced to go back to emotionally abusive kind of relationship and it did not get better at all. Then they married the person, had kids and felt even more stuck.

Be more careful about relationships/roommates in future.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You were unfaithful and got caught. You did wrong and that is on you. I wouldn't trust you either. That said, GET OUT NOW! Do not communicate with him at all. It will only encourage him. Absolutely watch your back and be careful for a while. Also, please understand that your safety is 100% on you. A restraining order can be useful but it won't do anything to protect you.
  • traceyfetterly
    traceyfetterly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    stay away. obvious red flags. don't go back.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I am going to add to my previous advice. If you are out and about with or have any males (relatives or not) coming to see you they should also watch out. I had the experience of an insane ex following and making threats against someone new I was seeing at that time. You don't how deep this crazy goes, so yeah. Leave no stone unturned here.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just a practical consideration here: be careful, get support so if/when you move, you take all your stuff in one quick move he doesn't know about, don't let him know your new address, and document everything in case you need to go to small claims. The financial consequences are real when people break a lease agreement or move out of a rental. You don't want him ditching on move out costs, utility bills, unpaid rent, etc. And you almost always have to give 30 days notice unless there is a domestic violence issue going on.

TLDR: Deal with the relationship but be careful of your safety AND very methodically plan to avoid the financial consequences of this situation.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I say go back. And i would ask him to marry you. You sound pretty progressive and i think you can handle. After youre married, start asking if you can bring these guys you have been talking to into the relationship. Tell him its for the marriage. Get knocked up by a different guy and say its his kid too. Just my two cents
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Do not go back. Just don't. I have spent 32 years not living my own life because I stayed. It is no way to live and the more time that goes by the unhealthier it becomes and then kids come into the picture and then you get old and lose your desire for your own life. Ugh. Don't go back.

Jeez, I'm really sorry. I never thought i'd be in a situation like this but now I see how easy it is to get suckered back into it. Are you out of it now?

No, I am not out of it. 32 years and counting. Although as I have gotten older I have found more of a voice. You already know in your heart the answer love, just move on and don't look back. Good Luck
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do not go back. Just don't. I have spent 32 years not living my own life because I stayed. It is no way to live and the more time that goes by the unhealthier it becomes and then kids come into the picture and then you get old and lose your desire for your own life. Ugh. Don't go back.

Jeez, I'm really sorry. I never thought i'd be in a situation like this but now I see how easy it is to get suckered back into it. Are you out of it now?

No, I am not out of it. 32 years and counting. Although as I have gotten older I have found more of a voice. You already know in your heart the answer love, just move on and don't look back. Good Luck

I'm so sorry... try and stay strong