Counting calories..Or not

Options

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not true that it's time consuming, though, and I hate it when people try to make it sound like this big horrible burden or something people would only do if they were overly neurotic.

But sure, whatever.

It IS true that it's time consuming( for me). Unless you eat everything out of a box. I cook most of my meals from scratch. It's easy to scan a box, not so easy to count and measure everything you are putting in your meal for a family.

I cook everything from scratch and it is not time consuming for me at all. I have to put food needing to be cooked into some kind of pan or bowl so why not put it into a pan or bowl sitting on a scale? Food not needing to be cooked can be plated while the plate is on the scale.

Dump, note weight, hit tare, dump next ingredient. Rinse and repeat.

Until when? The end of time? Who wants to be a slave to the scale. Measuring or weighing should be a temporary learning tool to understand calories in food. After that, one should know enough about various foods and quantities that eyeballing should be sufficient for the long term.

If someone doesn't want to weigh long term, that's fine. But I think it's unnecessary to declare that others should stop weighing. I know, from experience, that I'm terrible at eyeballing. I have no problem weighing long term because it frees me up to think about other things. Using a tool to do something more efficiently doesn't equal being a "slave." Sometimes it's just the smartest way to solve a particular problem.

Who declared that others should stop counting?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's not true that it's time consuming, though, and I hate it when people try to make it sound like this big horrible burden or something people would only do if they were overly neurotic.

But sure, whatever.

It IS true that it's time consuming( for me). Unless you eat everything out of a box. I cook most of my meals from scratch. It's easy to scan a box, not so easy to count and measure everything you are putting in your meal for a family.

I cook everything from scratch and it is not time consuming for me at all. I have to put food needing to be cooked into some kind of pan or bowl so why not put it into a pan or bowl sitting on a scale? Food not needing to be cooked can be plated while the plate is on the scale.

Until when? The end of time? Who wants to be a slave to the scale. Measuring or weighing should be a temporary learning tool to understand calories in food. After that, one should know enough about various foods and quantities that eyeballing should be sufficient for the long term.

If someone doesn't want to weigh long term, that's fine. But I think it's unnecessary to declare that others should stop weighing. I know, from experience, that I'm terrible at eyeballing. I have no problem weighing long term because it frees me up to think about other things. Using a tool to do something more efficiently doesn't equal being a "slave." Sometimes it's just the smartest way to solve a particular problem.

You use a lot of "We/you should" "You/we don't need to" - that kind of language gets peoples' hackles up.

I find it's generally best on forums (and in life) to come from an "I" place, not a "You/We" place when discussing How-To-Do-It.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But sure, whatever.

The person I quoted said: " Measuring or weighing should be a temporary learning tool to understand calories in food."

I think it's fine for people to use it temporarily (or even not at all). It's also okay to use it long term if that is what works best for someone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

But sure, whatever.

These kinds of comments assume that there's a reason that eyeballing is preferable, that counting or weighing is bad. It's not.

I don't really like logging, I admit it. I eat better when I do it, to some extent -- it's a psychological trick that keeps me from deciding that eating extra calories if I feel bad or something doesn't really count if it's just today, so when I'm losing it's helpful (just like making sure I weigh myself or try on favorite pants weekly or some such also is helpful). But on the other hand, I LIKE weighing, and don't get why the weighing part seems to be everyone's "oh, that's so weird" hangup. Even when not logging (since I don't like logging and don't do it at maintenance unless I decide to do some new training diet and see how it goes or some such), I often weigh lots of stuff because when I'm cooking it's just part of the process. I usually weigh my oatmeal when I'm cooking and pasta, meat and cottage cheese and yogurt, I even often weigh vegetables (in part because if it's less than I thought it prompts me to add more, although mostly just out of curiosity). I always weigh out ice cream -- I know my eye would lie to me if not.

I don't think any of this is necessary any more than I think logging is necessary, but it's fun and no extra work for me, so it's annoying that people seem to like to claim it's freakish or SO time consuming or burdensome or shows a weird relationship with food. (Or, as here, that the only people who could disagree must be eating all boxed stuff, LOL!) It's just different personality traits or maybe one's process when cooking (I rarely make the casserole-y things or even stews where I think creating a recipe is necessary and it's kind of burdensome).

I also find the idea of pre-logging or planning out meals for the week or cooking from recipes super burdensome seeming, FOR ME. I don't feel compelled to tell others they shouldn't do that or that it must be so much work. It's just different styles or personalities, again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

But sure, whatever.

you did...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

But sure, whatever.

I'll stop weighing and measuring when you start buying my clothes.

If you can eyeball your food and maintain, great for you. Stop whizzing in the Cheerios of people who don't have that ability.

Yeah, it makes them completely inedible! :wink:
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

But sure, whatever.

If you can eyeball your food and maintain, great for you. Stop whizzing in the Cheerios of people who don't have that ability.

anyone know how many calories that is?
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I first started calorie counting I managed to measure everything for 4 months and I loved it! I think I learned a lot from this process and it helped me understand my body, nutrition, when I am actually hungry or just craving etc.
    After that period I stopped counting for most time of the year, but I go back to it once in a while to "calibrate" my body. I personally don't freak out with the idea of counting forever if needed, but if you don't like it I'm sure you can find another way to stay healthy and balanced.

Calorie counting is not an obligation, it's just a tool. For some it is a great tool, that they use everyday. For others it may be a rusty tool left in a dark corner of the basement. Either way is fine :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

But sure, whatever.

anyone know how many calories that is?

Well first, you have to accurate measure your liquids, then find the right database entry....
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

But sure, whatever.

You use a lot of "We/you should" "You/we don't need to" - that kind of language gets peoples' hackles up.

I find it's generally best on forums (and in life) to come from an "I" place, not a "You/We" place when discussing How-To-Do-It.

Why are people getting so backed up about it though?
    A lot of people are telling me that counting is not time consuming and is fun, yet I am not getting sensitive about it.
    This is about sharing opinions. If one doesn't like mine, so be it. When I rule the world, there will be no counting. Until then everyone does what they want.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But sure, whatever.

A lot of people are telling me that counting is not time consuming and is fun, yet I am not getting sensitive about it.
    This is about sharing opinions. If one doesn't like mine, so be it. When I rule the world, there will be no counting. Until then everyone does what they want.

I don't know why you would even care if other people want to count calories. How does it impact your life?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

But sure, whatever.

Why not? The scale is just another kitchen gadget sitting on the counter and is actually easier to use when making a recipe and produces fewer dishes to wash than measuring cups and spoons. There is a reason European recipes are all written by weight.
  • earlnabby
    Options

But sure, whatever.

People are getting their hackles raised because they are being told that they shouldn't. You don't, and you explained why you don't. Why are you getting so upset that people do count calories that you are trying to change them?
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

But sure, whatever.

Why not? The scale is just another kitchen gadget sitting on the counter and is actually easier to use when making a recipe and produces fewer dishes to wash than measuring cups and spoons. There is a reason European recipes are all written by weight.

We should all move to Europe
  • earlnabby
    edited March 2017
    Options

But sure, whatever.

We should all move to Europe

Or finally get around to writing recipes the best and most accurate way. The US is stubbornly holding on to the Boston Cooking School style of measuring just like they are stubbornly holding on to imperial measurements when the rest of the world uses weights and metrics. Backward as always.