What has taken over MFP more Keto Threads or ACV Threads

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »
    Isn't it true for those of us older folks, we all did LC growing up. Not that it was called LC,

I'm pretty old (47), and I did not low carb, and my parents and grandparents certainly did not. (I hated bread and cereal as a kid -- I was an annoying child -- and the older folks all thought that was weird.)
    I can remember while loving sweets, still only occasionally getting something sweet, sweets were a rare treat. We, just as a normal part of life, ate one serving during meals. . . . .yes, the holidays were more like many ppl eat everyday today.

We ate the kind of dinner I do (often) now: meat/fish, starch (often potato), and vegetables. Servings weren't crazy, but I don't think everyone eats crazy servings now, when eating at home. Lunches (for people other than me) were often sandwiches. Breakfast was often oatmeal (plain for us, but the flavored kind existed and it was common to put fruit in it) or, for the kids (other than me) and also for my parents and grandfather, cold cereal was common. For the older people not with lots of sugar (but that did not make it low carb by any stretch of the imagination), but they also did add fruit. My mom baked cookies not all that uncommonly, and so did my grandmother. On weekends we'd sometimes have bacon and eggs for breakfast, but also my dad would sometimes do pancakes or waffles or french toast (he only really grilled and cooked carby breakfast things, otherwise the women/girls did the cooking).

Holiday meals were quite a bit different from regular meals, but so are holiday meals today.
    Does anyone else recall that being called greedy or a glutton wasn't bad manners and PC didn't exist?

PC didn't exist as a thing that people said, but politeness was still a huge thing to my parents and I would have been punished if I'd called someone greedy or a glutton.

Also, overeating and low carb aren't the same thing.
    I know younger ppl here have been told this and may not want to read it again but in many of our entire schools for k-8 there was perhaps, one obese boy or girl and in high school..perhaps 2 or 3....total.

Yeah, same here, but not because we didn't eat carbs.

My material grandfather, who grew up on a farm and was a farmer for much of his life (born in 1919), ate more bread and potatoes than anyone I've known. He loved fruit and veg too, and had a huge sweet tooth (he claimed he got it from his Swedish mother), and used to drink sugary tea. (I was a weird kid and hated sweetened beverages even back then.)

Same here. Though I am a bit younger than is possibly being referenced. But as a kid and the generations above, meat and two veg was staple, with one of those veg generally being potato. Or my mums famous curry sausage pasta (sounds horrendous, was my actual fave). And it was cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch.

Because starches are cheap and filling generally, of course those in the past used them as a main dietary staple. To say most people were naturally low carb seems ridiculous to me.

Oh and sweets were a treat as was eating out or take away. However, we always had juice (soda) on tap practically because we had juice trucks when I was a kid in Scotland, literally took your empty glass bottles and provided you with refills. Cream soda was my personal favourite, cream soda float being off the charts.

The big difference was lifestyle I'd say. Just naturally more incidentally active.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Moderate carb intake is different than the Keto fad, yes? For example, I am trying to keep my macros at 25% carbs, 40% fat and 35% protein.

Keto is a lot higher fat than that.

If I tried to eat keto it would last one day. I'd never be able to leave the bathroom after that.

This is a common contention in the Keto arena, and one that I frankly find preposterous. I am in nutritional ketosis when running RFL, and my fat intake is near zero, other than fish oil caps. All the while I am hitting 250-300g of protein per day, mostly from chicken breast, which is able to cause a relatively high insulin response all on it's own. The "zomg protonz is too high, needs 80% fat" zealots make me want to throw a 45 at their emaciated *kitten*.

There will be people swearing up and down you couldn't be in ketosis with that protein intake.

I've had people in the past tell me I couldn't have been in ketosis when I did Atkins because my protein intake was too high. This was after a discussion about what I ate and how I watched my carbs like a hawk but not my calories and gained weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I ate high carb as a kid. Cereal for breakfast, with a glass of juice. Lunch was a sandwich with an apple, and often another juice. Dinner was meat starch and vegetable, with a glass of juice or powdered skim milk. Snacks were fruit, raw vegetables (more common during the day or before dinner) and cookies.

I would like to add that I hope people would not hold LCHF misinformation against the diet or all those who use it. Inaccurate info is just that and does not mean the diet, or certain foods, are bad... or excessively good.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Why is there no cookie diet fad?

Did you miss the Oreo thread :D

I think it's all extremes, so keto is the extreme of moderate carb. ACV is the extreme of stupidity.

Hydrox Forever!!!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I ate high carb as a kid. Cereal for breakfast, with a glass of juice. Lunch was a sandwich with an apple, and often another juice. Dinner was meat starch and vegetable, with a glass of juice or powdered skim milk. Snacks were fruit, raw vegetables (more common during the day or before dinner) and cookies.

I would like to add that I hope people would not hold LCHF misinformation against the diet or all those who use it. Inaccurate info is just that and does not mean the diet, or certain foods, are bad... or excessively good.

You're consistently a thoughtful advocate for lchf...I couldn't do it, but I respect it as a tool in the general diet toolbox because I've learned from you and some of the other posters.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keto.

We actually saw this coming in the LCD community when Oz started talking about it last year.

And you didn't run a mile?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Keto.

We actually saw this coming in the LCD community when Oz started talking about it last year.

Just because a charlatan latches onto an idea, doesn't mean you abandon it, if it's working for you. If, against all odds, Oz came out tomorrow and started advocating for a calorie controlled whole food diet, I'd hardly be willing to suddenly switch to a cookies and potato chip intake. ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keto.

Just because a charlatan latches onto an idea, doesn't mean you abandon it, if it's working for you. If, against all odds, Oz came out tomorrow and started advocating for a calorie controlled whole food diet, I'd hardly be willing to suddenly switch to a cookies and potato chip intake. ;)

True. However a calorie-controlled diet doesn't make any extraordinary claims like Keto and Dr Oz does.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Keto.

True. However a calorie-controlled diet doesn't make any extraordinary claims like Keto and Dr Oz does.

Ehh, most of the extraordinary claims about keto come from a very specific (but loud) few people, and their "true believers". I honestly don't believe the woo based stuff is as widely believed as it is yelled through a bullhorn by a select few.

It's easy to speak for the silent majority, as they rarely object to the words put in their mouths.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Isn't it true for those of us older folks, we all did LC growing up.

Negative, Ghost Rider.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Keto.

Ehh, most of the extraordinary claims about keto come from a very specific (but loud) few people, and their "true believers". I honestly don't believe the woo based stuff is as widely believed as it is yelled through a bullhorn by a select few.

It's easy to speak for the silent majority, as they rarely object to the words put in their mouths.

Yeah, I think it's less common from more knowledgeable and experienced people who choose the diet for personal reasons or because they really enjoy eating that way or find it makes a huge difference to their personal hunger or cravings.

Most people I've known off line who did keto-like diets (Atkins, back in the day, Taubes followers now) were really into the magical properties and really into the idea that you could eat supposedly bad for you foods (which I eat anyway -- never gave up steak or cheese and don't find it hard to fit in), and few veg (I know that's not actually what Atkins recommends), and lose, at supposedly unlimited calories (but they cut calories way back by cutting out the fat/carb main suppliers of them in their diets). All of the ones I am thinking of didn't last on it long, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Isn't it true for those of us older folks, we all did LC growing up. Not that it was called LC,

I can remember while loving sweets, still only occasionally getting something sweet, sweets were a rare treat. We, just as a normal part of life, ate one serving during meals. . . . .yes, the holidays were more like many ppl eat everyday today.

Does anyone else recall that being called greedy or a glutton wasn't bad manners and PC didn't exist?

I know younger ppl here have been told this and may not want to read it again but in many of our entire schools for k-8 there was perhaps, one obese boy or girl and in high school..perhaps 2 or 3....total.

Is it any wonder that ppl are going for ACV or Keto--vegetables & meat, what's so bad about that with them drizzled in delicious olive oil?
    @LINIA
    I don't know your age or where you grew up but the bold is a whole lot of nope in my experience.

We typically ate cereal or toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and just about every family meal included a good portion of starchy carbs (inexpensive, filling, tasty & nutritious) along with other vegetables.

For me the biggest contrast between the 60's/70's and now is the shear volume of snacking people do and the lack of activity.
    We had very few snacks at home (agree they were a treat not routine) and it was normal to just have three meals a day with no extras. If you wanted a snack you walked to the shop and bought one with your pocket money (just the one!) - it simply wasn't tucked away in a cupboard at home in easy reach. The shear amount of grazing you see now is relatively new, at least in the UK.

We also all routinely walked a lot (to school or to work) and play was typically outside and active not indoors and passive like seems to be the norm now.
    Also agree about how few children were obese back then - there was one in my primary school in my age group, secondary school maybe 2 out of 90.

I currently live near two schools with tiny catchment areas (one mile radius) and the traffic is horrendous with parents dropping off and picking up their children. That would have been an exception for me to get a lift to school - I was walking 3 miles at age eleven. We were a one car family and it wasn't even used daily.

So we ate less and moved more back then - so not surprising we weren't so fat as the generations growing up now.

This is exactly what I see now vs. then (except that kids in my neighborhood who go to the neighborhood school do walk. Lots of kids here go to schools much farther away from where they live, though, and so take public transportation or a bus or get a ride from parents).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Is it any wonder that ppl are going for ACV or Keto--vegetables & meat, what's so bad about that with them drizzled in delicious olive oil?

I guess I'm old enough to be considered part of "us older folks" (I'll be 55 in a few months), and the diet I grew up on was nowhere even remotely near low-carb. We drank lots of full sugar sodas, ate candy/sweets/pie/cakes/etc. on a regular basis, mom cooked a lot of "comfort food" meals which were high in carbs, etc. Thinking back on all the other kids I grew up with, I can't think of any of them who ate a diet anywhere near to low-carb either.

My pre-teen and teenage years were all in the '60s and '70s, and fat kids were nowhere near the rarity that some purport them to be - and I grew up in Southern California. Sure, obesity didn't exist on the scale/magnitude it does today, but fat people/kids certainly weren't rare unicorns. Revisionist history to fit agendas is revisionist.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

My wife is the cookie mom for our troop - just saying. You do the marketing and I'll supply the crack...I mean cookies (same thing really).

You mean sugar is addictive? B)

I'll believe that when I see somebody go face first into a bag of sugar to get their fix. Otherwise I call BS.

I'll believe it when someone turns to prostitution to get their sugar fix.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

My wife is the cookie mom for our troop - just saying. You do the marketing and I'll supply the crack...I mean cookies (same thing really).

You mean sugar is addictive? B)

I'll believe that when I see somebody go face first into a bag of sugar to get their fix. Otherwise I call BS.

I'll believe it when someone turns to prostitution to get their sugar fix.

Hmm. There was a time when I'd do anything for a Snickers bar. At least it had nuts in it.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I had no cookies today. :'(