Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

“Dear Valued Member,

We want to thank you for being a member of the Tacoma Center YMCA and contributing to our Annual Campaign last year, providing scholarships and subsidized programming to individuals in our community that need us most. If you are receiving this email, we want to thank you for your generosity and inform you that you are currently utilizing an overnight locker at the Tacoma Center YMCA in part of your donation to the Y. In an effort to maximize the amount of existing available lockers we have to our members, we are no longer offering overnight lockers for the 2017 year as a gift option related to Annual Campaign contributions or drawings. Effective April 3, 2017 we will need to request that you remove the items from your locker and begin using day use lockers located in the locker rooms or express lockers throughout the facility.

Again we sincerely appreciate you being a member of the YMCA and donating to our cause. Should you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to contact our Branch Executive Director, Mark Willis at mwillis@ymcapkc.org or 253-460-8864.

Warm regards, “

Mark Willis | Branch Executive Director
    YMCA OF PIERCE AND KITSAP COUNTIESf"

Oh Pip...

If they are no longer offering them - at all - to anyone - I don't foresee any hope for you getting to keep yours. I think it's a BAD IDEA on their part - to take something away that is clearing working as an incentive to donatation - but, they will learn that soon enough.

Some of the NON-donating members must have whined that there weren't enough lockers. I suppose if their focus is to increase membership - rather than to increase donations - they might do better to have more lockers available... But it still seems stupid to me.

Is there a regular gym anywhere that you can rent a locker? I mean, if you were paying to keep one at the Y - then you could probably pay to keep one somewhere else, right?

Hugs!

Re in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Thanks for your Happy April Fool's message. I'd forgotten all about April Fools. :embarassed:

Julia: I'm sorry to hear about your high bp. I hope you'll be able to get it under control & manage it now that you know there is an issue. :flowerforyou:

This is a quiet day at home. I made the bed in our guest room this morning. We've been letting the new mattress air out for the past week. Now it is ready for guests. We're hoping our son will be able to come for a planned visit in the next few weeks. He'll probably be the first person to sleep on the new mattress. :heart:

There won't be a riding lesson this week, but I plan to go out and ride Arrow tomorrow. I hope it goes according to plan. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Lovely Ladies;

It's another Saturday.... I slept late and then got up and did a few dishes... Now I am off to make the Italian sauce with eggplant, red bell peppers and zucchini.

It's a long-simmered sauce with a ton of fresh garlic and tomatoes and, if there is enough growth on the oregano plant, some of that, too. I kind of denuded the poor thing over the winter - I just left enough to keep the plant alive until Spring. I guess I will have to go out and check. The fresh oregano makes a lot of difference in the taste of the sauce.

Once the sauce is cooked - then I make the casserole... Having it all ready to tuck into the oven means DH can "cook" by throwing it in an hour before I get home from work this week.

If I have enough of the sauce, I will make two. LOVE me some Italian food - and I am all about cooking once and eating twice (or more!)

The casserole: a layer of meat/veg sauce, a layer of cottage cheese and egg blend (don't have any ricotta, and the cottage cheese adds more protein.), a layer of no-bake lasagna noodle, a layer of sliced portabella mushrooms and a layer of cheese. Not necessarily in that order. I will have to let you know what the calorie hit on that is. Honestly - since the sauce is made with 90% lean hamburger - and LOTS of veg - it shouldn't be too horrible. It's all a matter of controlling the amounts of cheese and noodle - and that is easy enough to do.

Once I get the sauce under control, it's off to the gym.

See you gals, later...

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA – I know it would be too heavy if full; but, have you thought of making a 2 high concrete block wall to put the water trough in? It'd probably work better if the trough was smaller at the bottom than at the top.

Pip – Thanks for the 2 extra ####!!!!!

DJ – I have one pair of ‘heels’ … red ones; but, the last time I wore them they kept slipping off my feet. Been so long since I had worn them that I had forgotten to get those heel sticky to wear in them. I have such a narrow heel. But, I do have a couple pair of stacked heeled boots that I love.

Marcelyn – I see that April the giraffe had her baby the other day. Maybe she was who you were talking about in an earlier post when you said she had gone 15 months.

Heather – I think there are a lot more who had gone through; went through it with a friend’s father. I finally realized that ‘if’ I was there … he was not messing with her. When he approached my 19-year-old sister … I think she must have said something to our Daddy because they left town, ‘under cover of darkness’. Happy Dancing for them being GONE!

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends

Pam, cute shoes. I hope they are comfy if you are dancing in them. Congrats on the loss last month. Way to go!!

Sharon, with all that is going on in your life I don’t know how you stay sane. What stress your poor brain must be going through. My heart goes out to you and to your family members. Hang in there my friend and know we are here for you. ((Hugs)))

Heather, so glad your DH’s vertigo is better. That is a cool maneuver if it works for people.

Re, even though you’d like more, three pounds is a loss so be happy with it and just work harder this month. I wish I could say I had lost 3 pounds.

Penny, I’m so sorry to hear that you are down. Is it the dark season there now? That would sure do it for me. picgifs-good-night-2174524.gif I do hope you’ll come here often and check in with us. You know we care about you and support you. ((((Hugs))))

Allie, I’m glad the Easter candy didn’t do anything for you. I just have to ask: Why did you buy it???

Lisa, I know that must be so hard to have your child hurting and not be able to do anything to help. (((Hugs)))

Mary, my gosh you are getting tiny!!! How much more are you going to lose? I wish I could/would get myself on the stick about exercise and eating less. I’m jealous but lazy, what can I say. Congrats on the Bingo win. I’d take it, too.

Pip, of the other permanent locker people, I just wonder how many of them use the Y every day? If this is something they have done for a few years I’m surprised they don’t just Grandfather the practice out if they want to discontinue the practice. I hope you can get it resolved.

Mia, how exciting about your 5K. You know we will cheer you every step of the way.

Joyce, I had to laugh at the way Charlie decides how much he is giving for gifts, especially to the SIL. Glad you are feeling better.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

DH and I had a day date today. We went to the marsh walk and sat outside at a seafood restaurant. I totally blew it! I had two beers and fried fish with French fries. OMG it was so good and the sunshine was wonderful even though it was a touch breezy. Will have to get serious tomorrow and do some damage control.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pip, Kim, Katla, everyone who responded.

Our son John is seeing a therapist (or a psychiatrist, don't know which), mandated to do so twice a week. He's in the US Air Force, stationed in Montana. Basically, if the shrink feels that being in the military is going to push him toward suicide, he'll put him out on an administrative discharge. If he feels he's better off staying in, John only has a bit over a year to go before he finishes his six-year enlistment.

An administrative discharge would mean no GI Bill for his education, and it looks not very good at all on later job applications. But it's not worth his life, which I'm glad the shrink also realizes. There are no proven medications for BPD, but therapy has been shown to be effective. And many young adults show fewer signs of BPD, or none, in later life. If these kids make it through, they can get to mental health--but first they have to make it through. Wish there was more I could do for him, but honestly, other than being here, and loving him, and making sure he knows it, there is zip, nada, zilch. Frustrating.

Also let him know that I was in a similar state of mind when I was his age--probably, if it had been defined at the time, they would have called it PTSD. I landed in an Air Force shrink's office, as well (I was in the USAF at the time) after a suicide attempt, and after she heard some of the horror stories about my abusive childhood, told me I was doing quite well, considering. Also told me (regarding how my father kicked me out at the point of a shotgun when I was 17) that "normal people don't settle arguments with guns." Always thought that was stinking hilarious, considering she and I were both in the military, and by definition, settled big arguments with the biggest guns available...

Anyway--all we can do is wait, and hope, and love him.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    RE - that lasagna sounds great! I need to make some - I run out of ideas for things to cook. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Lisa - ((((hugs))))) sorry to hear about son's illness; crossing fingers he can get thru the final year of his enlistment and get the GI bill benefits. And that the therapy keeps him on an even keel. <3

Pip - when I read that strange email from the Y my wheels started turning. I'd probably ask them if they can't comp lockers anymore then what other incentives will they have available for donors? I agree it's likely a board decision and the director had to deliver the bad news. Might be educational to get a copy of board meeting minutes, if available - and if you wish to pursue it. Would you have the option to rent a locker since you might not be making any more donations.....sounds like you had the ideal set-up. Maybe they now have a lot of business and corporate sponsors and don't really need individual donations anymore. >:)

Pam - way to go on the weight loss and those shoes look great - nice medium sturdy heel. You'll be on dancing with the stars in no time!

Joyce, Carol, Kelly and others of us with "interesting" husbands.... my DH is also a classic at times and I know some of that is due to his RA. He's a rather silent sufferer but he does get grouchy - he's learning to say that his shoulders or hips are painful instead of just being a ______. He knows I'll nag him to go to the doctor. He used to border on road rage a lot and for a while I refused to be in a vehicle with him as he's also a horrible back seat driver. Much better now and we'll go to the doc or early morning Home Depot runs. Don't think I'd want to go on a long driving trip with him tho unless he'd taken a valium and was vegging in the passenger seat. B)

Thanks Barbie for getting us started for April and hope Jake is feeling lots better.

Welcome Newbies and Returnees!

We had the normal drizzle this morning but finally it's clearing a bit and I see a little sunshine and blue skies. Managed to get a nice long walk in early this morning w/o getting wet and took a road I'd avoided as there used to be a farm with a couple "angry" large dogs that would run around me barking and sniffing. Just wasn't worth it to go that route when I have a couple other roads that are just fine. The place now looks abandoned, no cows or dogs or people for that matter. DH worries the boogeyman might be holed up there.

Here's a thought to start out the month for all you beautiful people:

cm7bmbj5e8a6.jpg

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) Jake is feeling better but not doing any chores or dog walking. He is complaining less and coughing less. :)

:'(Pip, I am so indignant on your behalf about the locker at the Y. You've gotten a few good suggestions. I hope you can find a solution that allows you to continue your amazing exercise with little interruption.

:'(Lisa,What troubling news about your son....sending hugs to you. <3

:)Ginger, it helps me to read an actual book in bed....I shut off computer and phone at least 30 minutes before bed and sometimes meditate during that time.

:)Welcome, to everyone who is new...please keep coming back.

B) Barbie from almost sunny NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies..
    Going to a friends house in a few for dinner.boys are fed and walked.
    Lisa- will keep your son in my prayers... :*
  • KimK2009
    KimK2009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm Kim. I live in Augusta Georgia with my husband of 22 years and two teenage boys. One is a senior and currently in the agonizing wait of hearing from colleges. He's very disappointed that he is hearing a lot of no's. I struggle with what to say. The younger is a freshman and is right now on a trip with the school band to Disney. As I write this, we are driving to Orlando to meet up with him and then go on to Tampa to visit family. We haven't been on a vacation in a while due to moving across the country twice in the last five years.

I'm a stay at home mom, I enjoy genealogy and family history. My own story has had some twists and turns in recent years. I was adopted as an infant and have recently met my bio mother and father and their families.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Now it is catching up with me with some medical issues that are ok now, but could be a problem in the future.

I look forward to getting to know you and learning more about how to take care of me so I'll be around to take care of others later.

Kim
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    3ct4cb1w65yq.jpg
    Good eve.DH is watching BBall...Not a fav of mine.I watched some golf,then got on here to check mail.

It's been a gray,dreary day,but no rain.

LISA....sorry to hear about your sons problem.
    Thank heaven he is getting help.Could be he feels you have been thru stuff,so knows you'd
    understand.So hard being away when our kids need us.

PIP...Is there any reason you can't rent a locker at the Y?
    JOYCE,.....DH &
    SIL did 1st coat of paint on the new door trim,will finish that tomorrow.
    Have another pic showing one blind closed/one open.

When ppl talk about eating a lot of veggies,how much is a lot?
    Last wk I cooked 3 lbs of fresh green beans with onion,carrots & turnip chunks.Small piece of ham & ate on that for 3 days....so tasty.Used the I Pot.
    This wk it'll be either bean soup or cabbage roll soup.Mom & Grma were great soup makers & hopefully I can do them proud.Never knew either to use a recipe.

Speaking of,that's next on my list to get rid of. My cookbook collection went when we were full time RVers.Found huge box of recipe magazines,
    plus stacks of recipe pages cut out of papers etc.Going to set them out for paper collection.
    What was I thinking?Recipes are the last thing needed here.

Had some great weight news today.
    Will share later,this is already a book.
    Pat Ce in Oh
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all, it has been a long while since I've checked in. I've not been doing well with logging food and haven't been making the best choices. I'm up 20 pounds from my low point but still down 50 from where I started. I had a rude awakening when I tried on some shorts that I wore in Mexico last May....too small! I was so ashamed when I had to go shopping yesterday to buy bigger clothes. Trying to focus on the positive though, I have been going to my workout class at the gym 3x a week and know that I am stronger. I can run longer at a faster pace than I could 20 pounds ago. But still. The scale. UGH. We leave for Mexico again in the morning....first thing in my suitcase was my workout clothes. :)
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thanks for leading us into a new month. Your April goals look good. Planks... can't wait to see how those go for you.
    I was once an avid reader. Ended every day with reading. Often falling asleep with my book and DH would turn out my light. I quit when I got bifocals and had difficulty reading with those in bed. I forgot to ask my eye doc about bedtime reading glasses. But I will - after we get my iridotomy done this week.
    Lisa - congrats on the 5 lb. weight loss! Prayers for your son. ❤
    DJ - sadly... we'll probably keep 99% of our electronics. We use our laptops, printer, scanner, phones, my iPad and Kindle HD. Cameras - not sure yet. I may get rid of the old Kindle - but I wanted to try repairing the power supply myself first. We'll see. The basket-o-cables - will go to Best Buy's recycling bin. I'll keep one old VCR to convert some old VHS home movies. (I've done that before.) My old desk top? It doesn't work. Need to make a decision about it. Probably recycle it. The data is backed up on a removable hard drive. I had hoped to repair it and put it in my computer cabinet. But... DH moved it to my studio. Sigh... I'm moving onto easier categories.
    Heather - enjoy your trip! I hope to visit France one day.
    Pam - dance on! Maybe one day I'll wear heels again. No time soon though.
    Marcelyn - more grandbabies! How wonderful!
    KarenVA - Olivia is such a beautiful baby. Those eyes!
    Re - the dishes you're making sound delicious. I should cook more.

Welcome Kim, Brenda and Laurie! And other newbies I've missed - this is a great group of supportive folks.

--Ginger in Texas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    Look at my food diary! I am sooooo over for today! It stated that if I ate like that for 5 weeks I would be 1300 lbs!!!! Hahaha!

Becca
    In the spirit for this holiday in
    Oregon

April Fools! :laugh:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to TRY to get caught up. As I've been posting on my homepage, things have been quite hectic. Last weekend I drove to VA then Jess and I drove to PA to go bridesmaid dress shopping with Denise, Jess and I drove back to VA on Sun night, I spent the night in VA then drove to NC on Mon. Had mahjongg at my house Mon night, went to ceramics on Wed. Don't even remember what I did on Tues, probably lots of shopping for food. Made turkey meatloafs and chicken for us. Thurs found out my credit card had been compromised. I suspect it was at the place we went to eat after going dress shopping. Oh, after shopping went to see the venue Denise is having for her reception. Found out that now there are 15 more people coming to the reception and she isn't real happy about that. Pete's mother paid for her gown and I suspect she's paying for the rest of the reception. Volunteered at the Green Room Thurs, went to CPR certification class on Fri. Today making an egg, cheese, sausage and spinach casserole for this Newcomer (we also go to ceramics with him) whose wife is in the hosp. You've heard me talk about her before. The lady who needs to lose A LOT of weight, she's always talking about how she needs to lose weight but the food she eats! Well, she's in the hosp, she has a very bad UTI. They can't seem to clear it up. She's delirious.

Found out another Newcomer fell. She's a really nice lady so I'll make her one of the casseroles (eggs were on sale), right now I'm making her ricotta cookies. Made butterscotch spice cookies and snickerdoodles for our last bowling session of this season Mon. The rest I'll give to the guy. Vince will need to take them since I will probably get to bowling late as I'm supposed to help count the collection money during the month of April.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to the bridal shop here in Charlotte. The place where Denise got her gown is a chain, so I'll go to the one down here and try on two of the dresses that she and I liked. Personally, I liked one of them better but I'll let her make the final decision. She picked out a gown on Sun, then Tues she calls me saying that she really doesn't like it. Well, she listened to the other girls. I told her what she needed to do was go BY HERSELF -- not even with Pete's mother, which wasn't received very welcoming -- and pick out 3 or 4 dresses that SHE likes. Then take the girls there and tell them "it's one of these 4". I told her it's her wedding, she needs to be happy. I know Denise, she is super pickey. Even tho I have pics of the dresses that I liked, she wants to see pics of me IN the dress. Only thing is that she's one of these people who has a hard time envisioning something. Like the dress she picked out, the store only had it in ivory. She couldn't envision it in white. Part of me wonders if the reason she chose that dress was because Pete's mother liked it. I kept telling her that we should go to the other store where she had the appointment. We could always come back. Oh well...she has to live with her decision.

Lenora - most of my ceramics have to be at least 12" in one direction (length or height) in order for it to be outside and seen. Only I've found that so many really cute things only come smaller

mummoid - you sure do know how to put tears in someone's eye with that letter

KJ - I know in FL there aren't any basements because of the sandy soil, but don't know about the rest of the country. We always had one, in NJ, PA, now in NC

Sarah - Now I really like the tofu noodles. At first it takes some getting used to, has a "different" consistency, a bit rubberier. But now that I'm used to them, I actually prefer them to regular spaghetti. Heather gave me the great idea of putting them in soup since they really don't absorb tomato sauce.

Welcome everyone new!

Carol - when Vince sells something on Craig's list, we try to meet the person in a different location other than the house and he always has a gun with him (he has a concealed carry permit)

pip - so sorry your locker is being taken away. They only have 4????? I agree with Kim. I used to work for a YMCA and was on the board of managers here in NC and they were always interested in donations. Can you rent a locker? Our Y has that

Lisa - I'm so very sorry for the rotten news for Corey. Later: and also your son.

Olivia is adorable!

Heather - your "excursion" sounds wonderful. I know you'll have a great time

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Options
    Lisa in W TX: I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts for your son's situation. I hope they're able to give him the support he needs AND he makes it to his discharge date. Will there be follow-up help available then? It seems like he would be eligible for VA help. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I love the sentiments expressed in "The Most Beautiful People." thank you for sharing. :heart:

KimK2009: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :star:

Purl: Good to see you again. :smiley:

I'm back from doing some shopping at the local grocery store where I ran into a long time friend. She had so much to tell me. Lots of health problems in her family and more than one person is scheduled for cancer surgery, including her DH. His is the more serious situation. I hope for the best possible outcome and I'm also counting our blessings.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

This sentiment fits my friend's situation and they are doing just as Churchill advised.

"When you are going through hell....keep going." Winston Churchill

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Thanks for moving us into April, Barbie!

March goals: None accomplished.
    April goals: Get back on track again... water, logging, weighing, etc...

Penny ... so very sorry you're feeling blue ... miss hearing from you and hope you'll soon feel like your normal self.

Lisa ... it's so hard to deal with loved ones' illnesses when they're far away. Glad your son was willing to share his struggles, hoping he can find peace soon.

Becca ... I looked at the "1300 pounds" and thought what? But didn't put two and two together like Katla.

Allie ... thinking of you ...

NYKaren ... my mom who has had years of UTIs swears that Cystex Cranberry Liquid Supplement helps reduce their frequency. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I have not even been trying to manage my weight for the last few weeks. I do ok for a day or two and then buy a bag of some kind of chocolate candy. I look and feel awful and rightly so. Today, however, my husband told me he's tired of being a "big person" and wants me to walk with him and help him eat better. So I made us lovely salads and then, when he was out of the room, ate oreo cookies. Sigh. I will get on board with him and will weigh myself tomorrow. Tonight I'm drinking a ton of water and am freezing as a result. But that's ok.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options